doc5md

JUNE 2021 Building a Home

doc5md
11 days ago

Wow! Its June already. I've been at this for a year this month! Still many months left for me. YIKES! Decision fatigue is settling in.... Lighting is daunting us at this point.

How are your builds coming along?!

Comments (174)

• Kat
    2 days ago

@jkent9024 Congratulations!! I hope the weather is good for you today and you see progress. Is that a church on the left of your lot? Wouldn't be a bad neighbor:-)

• Emily
    2 days ago

@Kat, We are only about a 20-minute drive from our property. I'm sure we'll visit more frequently once things really get going, but in these early, slow stages, we have only been going to the site every couple of weeks.

• Related Discussions

June 2020 Building a Home

Q

Comments (315)
    @K H Apparently there was a miscommunication between our realtors. Mine received the rejection of our counter offer but not their counter-counter which we did accept last Friday! It's not too bad for what's going on around here market-wise, less than we paid for this place 20 years ago, these guys are getting a good deal with the improvements we made. All we have to worry about now is the inspections, because it's a VA loan and those are notorious for falling through because they ask for the moon. Fingers crossed we can deal with whatever they don't like without breaking the bank. In the meantime, just in case it all works out, we're sorting and packing and moving things into storage that we won't need should the deal fail. If it all works out we have to be out of here before Labor day, and will be paying $50/day rent for every day past closing.
    ...See More

January 2021 Building a Home

Q

Comments (385)
    We are so close to finish if they just get to it. They would need less than a week, again if they get to it. I told them if they get it done, I will pay on the spot. They will be paid sooner that way than going through a collection agency. Guessing they were bluffing. I can't imagine they are that stupid. Or they made some costly mistakes that they can't fix that I don't know about. I don't know what the contract says in details. I think it is pretty standard. I am guessing the contract can't address the gray area, like what is considered "consulting" and whether you can charge your client when you weren't clocking. In some ways, I am not worried. They made many costly mistakes so far and I picked up the bills not to hold back progress arguing. They are well documented. I will push to get them reimbursed if they push. That will be expensive for them. @Keepthefaith MIGirl I am practically doing the GM job myself. The contractor isn't communicating properly to the subs. I told him what they need to bring to finish the job. The GM didn't pass it on and the sub shows up without the parts. It is hard enough to get him out once. The finishing carpenters were here and they were twidling their thumb for hours because the supply isn't here. This happens again and again. The painter said they had to come back 5 times because the site wasn't ready for them. Now that I am here, I get to talk to subs. They are all nice, fun to talk to. I don't mind taking it over rather than trying to talk through someone who loses half of what I said on the way to subs. And they want to get paid for consulting! In my mind, they don't have a case.
    ...See More

March 2021 Building a Home Discussion

Q

Comments (508)
    Something we've learned over the past 7 years is just how much noxious VOC's, carcinogens and particulate matter are in cooking effluent - gas or induction. Exhaust hoods should be run continuously ANYTIME a range or oven is on. More here (more to come): https://bamasotan.us/range-exhaust-hood-faq/ A lot of open windows with a lot of cross ventilation can work. Be careful though. Sealed houses do need ventilation from an ERV/HRV. That is not close to a substitute for a proper exhaust hood in your kitchen though. . "My husband set it to be slightly negative pressure in the house to pull more air in through regular air movement." Be careful about this. If outside humidity is high it will pull moisture in to wall cavities. The first problem is mold which can become a serious health problem for occupants. The second problem is rotting structural members. And the third potential problem is that whatever is in the wall cavities gets sucked in to the house and becomes a contaminant.
    ...See More

April Building A House 2021

Q

Comments (455)
    Our delays are frustrating because we made selections months ago but the builder never ordered them. We are contracted on a spec house so we cannot order them ourselves. My daughter was not the one kicked by the horse. She had torn labrum/hip impingement surgery so I know exactly what you are experiencing. Best of luck to your daughter. She is lucky to have you!
    ...See More
  • nhb22
    2 days ago

@jkent9024 - Great news and such excitement!

I was going to ask the same thing about your neighbor. A church or office? Looks like nice homes beside and across from you. 😉 And is that your building on the back of the lot?

• peacehope68
    2 days ago

The manufacturer has now pushed our door sidelights out to 6/30. Can't get our C.O. until they are installed. I have no confidence that they will be here by 6/30. Oh well, my mom is getting better, but she's still in no position to be left living alone anyway.

We are getting our replacement refrigerator today. The first one came with major damage. I was expecting the new one to take months, but only took about 2 weeks.

• Leslie
    2 days ago

Emily thank you. RV trips look fun;maybe someday.

Jkent, Knoxville area was on our list too. What a beautiful lot, 4acres! I hope the process went smoothly. Congrats on the permit milestone. Is it a big move for you?

Brandie at, thank you. We looked around Maury County and like it. Congratulations.

Buzz solo, thanks for the welcome. There are so many window decisions. Trying to keep it simple. As for the garage, I sure hope it works out for you. We’ll have challenges with our garage height too. Electrical: Did you think to add hideaway electrical in the flooring? We might do that. Whiskey? I might start to maintain a full flask nearby! But that time isn’t here yet for me.

• Brandie May
    2 days ago

Not related to our new build, but we had an electrical scare at my grandmother's last night and just wanted to pass along as a PSA.

If you smell a fishy smell in your house it could be an electrical outlet melting and about to catch fire. Make sure your breaker box is labeled correctly so you can disconnect power if you have any issues. We are so thankful this outlet behind a bed did not catch fire.

• nhb22
    2 days ago

WOW...that is scary. A friend recently had their laptop computer cord suddenly burst into flames. Burned the vest she was wearing. Luckily they were home. We have had our wood blinds catch on fire after the sun hit my make-up mirror and reflected back onto the blinds. I smelled that one. We have also had our entire rental home go up in flames when we were in the process of moving out. That was deemed a suspicious fire. Long story. Luckily, no one was seriously injured. I don't mess with fire!

peacehope68 - Glad your mother is doing better, and that you are OK with delaying the move. Have you been able to move anything over to the new house?

• peacehope68
    2 days ago

@nhb22 We haven't moved anything yet. I was just thinking about asking our builder if anything could be moved in before they come out to finish up our final inspection for C.O. It would be nice to at least start getting cabinets filled & organized.

• Emily
    2 days ago

@jkent9024, Congratulations on the building permit! And, your lot looks lovely. We had to jump through tremendous hoops just to clear approx. 1/2 acre of our 10.13 acre property. We are in a watershed, so an erosion control plan and permit is required. It cost us an extra $7K for the installation of silt fencing and outlets, grass seed and straw all along our long driveway and house site, and we could only have so much cleared area. If we had cleared more. we would have had to do a much more complex and expensive stormwater plan, like what subdivisions have to do (retaining ponds and such). Our builder thinks the whole thing is crazy and shouldn't apply to a residential build on a large acreage, but this is what our county requires. Just one of several reasons it has taken us so long to get to the stage we are at now (foundation). We are hoping that because we had so many difficulties in the early stages of the process, the latter stages will go smoothly, but we know it doesn't work that way. 😣 Wishing you smooth sailing!

• Brandie May
    2 days ago

😳 nhb22 I never thought about a mirror causing a fire inside a house. That is crazy!!! I had another scare with an outlet before I moved back in 2010, looked down and the plug was glowing red.

• jkent9024
    2 days ago

Yes, that's a church to our left; nice, quiet neighbors. 😊 The building behind us is not ours, it belongs to the neighbor. It's a horse barn, but he (elderly gentleman) no longer has horses and uses it for storage. Maybe someday there'll be horses again. There is a property--doesn't adjoin us but adjoins our neighbor to the right--that has a couple of donkeys.

We've had plenty of delays already thanks to Covid, (having to work remotely with the architect), and then the county rescinding our septic approval and having to wait months for the weather to cooperate enough for new perc tests. I've been on these boards since we first bought the property in January 2020; there are some posters who joined this group after me and have already finished their house! So here's hoping the worst is behind us and that any future problems are minor and this build goes relatively smoothly from here on.

• Keepthefaith MIGirl
    2 days ago

SW Silvermist did not disappoint! I love it! This is the office and later today in our master which has even more light. Diggin' the fp stone too!!! SW Sea Salt needs another coat to really get a sense of it. Right now it's leaning super green in the loft bedroom. That's OK, just not as in love with it so no picture yet.

• Emily
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

@jkent9024, I remember (now that you jogged my mind) about some of your previous woes and delays with your build. We are not quite as far behind as you, but it has been a very slow slog from purchasing our property in May 2020 and only being at the foundation stage now, so I do feel your pain. Glad we are both moving forward, at last!

@Keepthefaith MIGirl, I have chosen SW Sea Salt for several rooms in our house (master bedroom/bath and kitchen/eating), and I definitely think it looks green in my sample. That is what I wanted but obviously doesn't work for everyone. I have read that it can lean blue in some light, green in others. Love your fireplace stone!

• Kyla McSweeney
    yesterday

We bought our property or at least started the process of buying July 2020. I thought we were delayed. Fingers crossed for excavation happening Monday🤞

• Sherryl
    yesterday

Peacehope68 - so wonderful to hear your mother is doing better! Prayers being answered!

• Kat
    yesterday

Seems there are lots of us in that same boat from pre-covid. We closed March 3, 2020 on our lot and are just at foundation work. Hoping we are in by March of 2022.

• Tanya Shelly
    yesterday

We have counter tops! We are targeting a 7/2 closing but need to be out of our rental by 6/30 or pay another $1700 to extend a week. We’re seriously considering renting a uhaul for our stuff and crashing somewhere.

• jbethjoy
    yesterday

I keep saying that we were crazy to build during a pandemic, I'm just thankful we have been able to push forward. Some of the delays you have all been facing are just crazy! We bought our property in March 2020. We had plans done by September and broke ground in October. Sheetrock is getting texture tomorrow and painter starts Monday. The hardwood supplier has been having a hard time keeping stock so we were worried we wouldn't have it in time for the installer on June 30th, but I got a call today that they found a mill running some(just 4"red oak, is that to much to ask, lol). Cabinets guy called today and said they are a week ahead of schedule! I still have to get my tile ordered, I have been dragging my feet because I can't find what I want in stock anywhere, so I may have to go with something else. I wish I had ordered it when I ordered my sample a month ago.

• K H
    yesterday

@Keepthefaith MIGirl what kind of stone is your fireplace?

@Tanya Shelly The island color stands out alot more with the finished countertop! beautiful

• Kat
    yesterday

@Tanya Shelly your house is looking beautiful. Love all the counters.

@jbethjoy I'm glad they found you some hardwood. I hope you find a tile you love.

I got our updated cabinet selections and since so much of our projects is custom work anyways she's giving us a bit of a cost break if we just switch to all custom as it gives them more control. Prior we were doing Kith Kitchens Eudora line. So now I have freedom to pick any white for my cabinets and I'm not sure if that is good or bad. haha.

Who has done a cabinet that looks white to the eye, but leans warm white not cool? Any suggestions on color?

Also did anybody do research on Hallman or ILVE 48" ranges? We were going to do the CAFE 48" professional line range, but now I really like the look of some of these Italian ranges and amazingly so does my husband. I've read mixed reviews on them, but that seems to be the same for just about every range I've looked at and the CAFE professional one is hard to find any reviews on.

What are your thoughts on matching two lines with a range and wall oven? I've asked on the kitchen and appliance board but not getting very much in the way of feedback.

If you were doing a white glossy range with polished brass trim and then needed a wall oven for a side wall that won't be as visble to any other rooms, would you choose the matte white oven with stainless handles, brushed bronze handles or brushed copper handles or would you go with the stainless oven finish with brushed stainless handles, brushed bronze handles or brushed copper handles? That's all the CAFE offers and we have been really set on their french door wall oven and 5 in 1?

I don't love stainless appliances and wanted to avoid them and that is one thing that lead me to the CAFE in the first place.

I was thinking I could match the faucet and pot filler to the brass handles of the range and the cabinet pulls towards our EMTEK hardward in French Antique. But the wall oven and 5 in 1 hardware is throwing me off of what to do.

This is the range. The handles I think are a bit more true brass looking then this photo shows.

This is the white matte cafe oven and 5 in one with brushed bronze handles (standard) I could switch them to brushed stainless.

Or the stainless wall ovens.

• jbethjoy
    yesterday

@kat my friend has a Cafe and loves it. She has the 48". I went with the Kitchen-aid but really considered the Cafe as well. I like the brushed bronze handles since it will be in the same color family as the main range.

@tanya it is beautiful! What kind of stone is on the counters?

• Kat
    yesterday

@jbethjoy did she do the white range? I wish I could see one in person. I've only seen the slide in 30" range and a dishwasher that they had on display. The matte white finish is just so different then I've ever had/imagined for an appliance. I'm used to a bit of shine. We have stainless double wall ovens right now and a white ice refrigerator. I love the refrigerator finish and had hoped the CAFE line would be similar, so was surprised once I saw it. We are doing panel ready fridge and dishwasher this time, so it's only the range and wall ovens I have to worry about.

• Emily
    yesterday

We finally got out to the build site yesterday. It had rained a lot so no one was there, and it was extremely muddy. However, it was nice to see that our foundation is complete. Waterproofing is scheduled for Monday. Our builder said that he is going to try to pump some of the water out of the foundation and the moat around it. Then once all that is done, backfill can commence as well as a termite guard of some sort. So far, he hasn't said a word about lumber, and we haven't asked!

@Kat, We are probably looking at a March 2022 move-in as well. Right now we have extended our rental a couple of months at a time, out through February, but it is very likely we are going to have to extend through March as well. Waiting a bit longer to see how things go before we do that. Our contract says end of October, but we obviously can't hold him to that, given the winter we had and our terrible driveway soil. Still, it sure would be nice to get in in February. Time will tell!

ETA the photo!

It looks tiny! It is a small house (1636 sq ft, plus two-car garage and two porches), but it looks like a little doll house. Sure wish it cost like one! 😂

• snowcountry
    yesterday

Funny thing about a build is depending on where you are on the build, it looks much smaller than what it would become.

• tendrac
    yesterday

@Kat Prior to deciding on the Lacanche, I was in contact with the importer of the Ilve range. I, also, had the opportunity to see it in person at a showroom here and really liked what I saw. When I think of these types of ranges, I tend to feel that they are meant to be features or focal points in the kitchen. Therefore, despite my mutual feelings about stainless steel, I would choose to go that route with the Cafe appliances. Due to both the handles and the surface of these appliances being the same color, their appearance seems more subdued.

If you truly want to forgo stainless steel, I would suggest just going with the white Cafe suite since they are complementary appliances (i.e., share the same handles, style, color, etc).

Like you, I went back and forth about the stainless steel. If there is one thing that I hate, it is cleaning smudges and fingerprints off of these appliances. In the end, I made the decision to do a paneled dishwasher and order a SZ fridge with stainless side panels so that it can be used as a freestanding fridge since that style will work well with our unfitted kitchen. I'm not happy about having the fridge fully stainless instead of paneled but that turned out the be the most ideal option based on the other elements in our kitchen.

• Emily
    23 hours ago
    last modified: 23 hours ago

I just got a question from our builder that I thought I'd get some opinions on before I reply. He is asking how much of a step down we want to the front and back porch slabs from the entry doors. None, 1", 2", 3", whatever. I want to make sure the slab pours allow enough space for tile on top (so "none" is not a viable choice), since that is how we are finishing off the porches. Beyond that, though, my only thoughts are that as we age, the smaller a step-down, the better, in case of a wheelchair/walker situation one day. Any opinions/advice? Thanks!

• di0spyr0s
    23 hours ago

How long after your build started were the windows installed? We’re getting window quotes now and seeing lead times of 10-20 weeks. I’ve no idea if we need the windows in the first month of building or the half way through the process. (I have asked my builder, but don’t have an answer yet.)

• Emily
    23 hours ago

@di0spyr0s, Although we're only at the foundation stage and framing has not yet begun, our builder has been finalizing our window and exterior door order in this past week or so. They go in fairly early to "dry in" the house, I believe. Definitely not half-way through. I suspect they can be installed any time after framing, and our builder told us that he orders them when the foundation is complete (or close to complete). I am sure you'll get more responses from people who have gotten to this point already, but given the current lead times, it's probably not possible to order them too early!

• Kat
    21 hours ago

@tendrac I appreciate your input a great deal. I think if I go this route I will choose the stainless wall oven with stainless handles and hope that it ties well enough with the bit of stainless trim on the range. It's nice to know you have seen them in person and didn't find anything wrong with them. Our area doesn't have any in showrooms anywhere.

I hope your build is progressing well and would love to see some photos.

@di0spyr0s our contractor placed our order for our windows and doors the day we dug our footings. There have been reported delays on some projects of 6 months so getting them in as soon as possible is a good idea.

@Emily I don't know if you ever choose to put on storm doors, but having a couple of inches allows for a mat/rug to not get stuck under it. Here our home is on ground slab and we have storm doors so I can't find rugs to fit under two of them. In our upstairs entry it's a 3" drop and I believe that's about what we'll have on our new build at each door. Some of our new doors open out for better wind/water intrusion in storms so I'm grateful we'll have the little step down.

We are originally from Canada where it's standard to have a 3-4" drop to keep out snow/ice so it feels familiar to me

I'm sure it feels so good to see your foundation ready. I just said today at our site meeting with our builder that the house looks small and he laughed and said everybody who sees it says it looks huge. It's the rooms for me. I can't even imagine furniture in them, but I know the dimensions, so have to belive they'll all be okay in the end. But I think it looks big just because of the style with the garage at the back. People aren't used to that in our area.

Our builder said he's running the lumber quote again on Monday to see where we are at, but that they aren't taking orders unless they are within 7 days, so we won't be quite there and will get a new final one, probably the week after.

He's said the trades are scheduled for Monday and he's hoping to pour the slab Thursday or Friday depending how fast the inspections are completed and if weather cooperates. Then it has to sit a week and then his framers should be ready to go.

• Emily
    20 hours ago

@Kat, Thanks! Before I read your response, I talked with DH about this, and we both thought 3" would be the way to go. I am not sure if we'll have a storm door or not, but you make a great point about the rug, and for us, it's not so much snow/ice, but rain and also hosing the porch down after spring pine pollen season. We would hate to get water into the house, so a bit of a drop will help with that. Also, thinking back to our previous houses, I believe that's about what we always had in the past. So, 3" it is!

• Joy M
    20 hours ago

We have chosen to be “on hold” due to increased lumber costs, but taking this opportunity to get quotes, finalize kitchen cabinet design, etc. Resubmitted our septic site plan today. Picked up cabinet door samples this week and surprisingly LOVED the oak compared to the maple.

• nhb22
    19 hours ago
    last modified: 8 hours ago

di0spyr0s - Ours came in around 6 weeks...8 at the latest. You will need them as soon as the framing is complete.

Emily - I do think for your doors opening out onto a patio, I'd go with 3". You definitely do not water in your house.

Our doors open out onto covered porches. We asked for zero threshold, but none will be because doors have a natural threshold at least an inch off of the porches. However, the door into our garage is a zero threshold. We wanted at least one door where we could be rolled in and out.

All of our porches are raised at least a foot. The front has 3 steps up to the porch.

Kat - I cannot help you much on your appliance choice, but I do love the Cafe ovens. I so wanted that look. I did a lot of research on the Hallman range and it was a contender until Covid go really bad. We were advised that we could count on waiting months for one.

We do like SS, and I do not mind cleaning it. Maybe a spot clean once in-between when my housekeeper comes, sometimes none. The dishwasher and the handles of the fridge seemed to be the ones that showed the most. Of course, I do not have children living at home. An occasional visiting grandchild, though.

Our cabinets will be an off white. Sometimes the sample leans creamy, and sometimes a very little touch of gray. The following kitchen is the same cabinet and color that I have. Although I will have a raised panel beaded inset. Color is called Polar. I was able to visit this kitchen in person when trying to decide between the whitest, and Polar. The kitchen looks white, just not stark white. And I did not detect the color changes that I see on the 5 x 4 sample.

• K H
    19 hours ago
    last modified: 19 hours ago

@Kat we have the 36” Black Matte CAFE range. I wanted the 48” but we didnt have the room because I also wanted a large pantry! We mixed and matched our appliances. The matte black range has stainless handles so we did a stainless fridge. I would do the brass handles on both the wall oven and range! You will have alot of baking real estate!

• Keepthefaith MIGirl
    19 hours ago

@KH I believe it's called Dutch Stone. I don't know the color name. The mason is doing an amazing job with the size and color vvariations.

Ok @Emily are you ready to see some color? SW Sea Salt really is a ninja! Here it is in the bathroom and closet behind, as well as the powder room with a light bulb (no fixture). I'm guessing maybe a 3000k lumens? Something in the warm range. I'm excited to see the powder room with the navy tiles and real light fixture. I was hoping it'd lean the Sea Salt blue also.

• K H
    19 hours ago

@Joy M I also love the oak!

• Joy M
    19 hours ago

@ K H the wood stains are the same color, but different wood species. The difference is crazy. I’ll likely go with the oak stained (bottom left) and painted oak (bottom right).

• di0spyr0s
    19 hours ago

@Emily @Kat @nhb22 - Thank you all! the builder got back to me and said we should order soon, but that he can work with either schedule right now, so long as we have all the rough opening dimensions nailed down. In an ICF house if we stuff that up it will be very expensive to change.

• tendrac
    18 hours ago

@Kat I do really like those Cafe appliances in white. If viable, another option could be to do the ILVE Majestic II or Professional Plus in a custom RAL color to match the Cafe appliances. My suggestion for these two series instead of the ILVE Nostalgie or Hallman range is for the window style which would tie the range in with the Cafe ovens. And, better yet, the ILVE Professional Plus has similar handles with contemporary clean lines just like the Cafes. Also, as an additional unifying factor, I am suggesting the custom RAL color but, based on the tie-in of the windows and the handles, it may not matter too much that the whites are not exact, especially if they will not be directly next to one another. Either way, I think that you could make the Cafe white or stainless steel work with the ILVE / Hallman ranges.

Also, if you are interested in having a look at the ILVE, I can provide that information for you. Based on where your son lives, it may not be too difficult him to drop by and take a look at it for you, also.

Regarding my build: it's all slow going. Our finish carpenter has been working on the remaining two porches; he has one more to go. In addition to the work on the porches, he was able to finish the crown once it arrived; so, took a little break from the outdoors. We've also began interior paint. Our interior doors arrived last week but they are on hold until our finish carpenter gets back. These past seven days have been quite busy for him due to family stuff (he welcomed his baby girl last week). Oh, and almost forgot that we installed our septic, A/C condensers and garage doors in addition to getting in line for our hardwood flooring.

Here are some recent photos:

Cupola Paint. . .testing sating sheen on ceiling.

Installation of "family room" cornice

Garage doors

Master bedroom ceiling and crown paint

Mudroom porch finishing.

• Emily
    18 hours ago

@nhb22, Sorry, I wasn't clear. Both our front and back entry doors open onto covered porches, but they are to be built with foundations and slabs, not out of wood. So, the step-downs are not to patios. However, it can rain really hard here at times, so water can still get into the porches. The front porch is only 6' deep, so more water will get there than in the rear, which is 10' deep. There is no stair-free entrance into the house, unfortunately. It looks like we'll have two stairs to the front porch and probably four to the back from ground. And there will likely be 1-2 stairs from the garage into the house. So if a wheelchair becomes a must for either of us down the road, we'll have to add a ramp. At least the house is only one story once you get into it! We've always lived in two-story homes before, so this is a better setup overall.

• Kat
    17 hours ago
    last modified: 17 hours ago

@tendrac those are great suggestions I will definitely consider.

That cupola is just amazing and I love the cornice molding you put in family room. What colors did you choose for the exterior? I've been considering alabaster, but not sure if I want to go a bit more creamy as I'd like to paint the trim a white that will be a bit lighter . We are doing red brick foundation with a light buff mortar. I really like your garage door choice as well. What color is that?

@K H yes your black Cafe definitley ties in well with your stainless refrigerator. Your kitchen is beautiful.

@nhb22 yes the lead time on those ranges is a bit concerning. They've said 24 weeks which brings us to Thanksgiving, which will still give us a few months to spare, so hopefully we'll be okay.

• tendrac
    16 hours ago
    last modified: 16 hours ago

Thanks @Kat! The color of the siding is BM Dove Wing and the trim is FPoE matched BM White Dove; the accent is FPoE 19, which is an "off" black color. The garage doors are not yet painted but will be the same color as the garage utility doors which is the accent color. I don't have any good pics of the garage because there is always something parked or stashed directly in front of it due to fact that we have limited access to the house by way of the garage doors and the utility doors. Here is an image with the three colors shown against the primed-only porch:

ETA image of brick next to siding and trim color (excluding porch skirting above the arch):

• Kat
    10 hours ago

@tendrac I love your brick. It looks similar to what we have chosen. I sometimes worry ours will look too orange instead of red, but hoping it will all turn out the way I have imagined. I wondered if your garage doors were just primed but one of the southern living inspiration houses had a color called maple that looked similar and they had paired it with an off white paint.

• K H
    7 hours ago

@Kat I have heard from others that it is difficult to match the white matte CAFE to cabinet paint. If I remember right it is a cooler white and several people that have done warm white cabinets have been dissapointed because there white matte looks blueish. For a warm kitchen cabinet that is slightly off gray I love Hazy Skies. pictured here

Mill Valley Classic Cottage · More Info

• nhb22
    7 hours ago
    last modified: 7 hours ago

K H - I meant to mention the same thing about matching the appliances to the cabinet paint. There are several post on HOUZZ about this problem.

@tendrac - Love your progress...and your brick. Is that a Flemish bond pattern?

• K H
    7 hours ago

@Kat also I remember one of our houzzers that recently within the last year has an Ilve white range. I cant remember her Houzz handle but here is her Instagram. They built a beautiful gothic inspired southern home after a disasterous fire. Here is her kitchen and stove. I might ask her about how she likes hers since its been in for a bit.

• Emily
    3 hours ago

@Keepthefaith MIGirl, It's amazing what a chameleon that Sea Salt is, isn't it? First photo looks pale aqua-blue, and the second looks taupe/mushroom, on my monitor. Thanks for sharing!

• TXLab
    59 minutes ago

Long time since I've been in this thread. Our build is just crawling at this point.

Anyone else just ready to throw in the towel? I mean, building is already inherently a stressful thing to do...but, building at this time really seems to take the cake. I have this constant feeling of anxiety as if EVERY single item we're wanting to buy, is currently on auction, and if I don't raise my hand immediately and buy it, then the price doubles. It's just wild.

I'm a slow researcher by nature, I'll research something a few hours at a time, at a few different sessions sometimes weeks apart before I actually make a decision. I started looking at our outdoor BBQ stuff a few months ago, but wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger yet. I went ahead and got a price from BBQguys.com. Now, we're nearing the point where we need to order them, and my jaw hit the floor.

Example price of this 2-drawer in December.

Price now (notice, a price increase about to come on Tuesday!)

So not only does it feel like we're trying to buy things at auction, with an auctioneer up front saying, "Plywood plywood plywood...gimme $60 a sheet...I hear $65...gimme $70...$75....SOLD $120 a sheet"

BUT it also makes you ill to know that this most likely will subside, and we'll look back and realize that we built our house at the peak price of just about everything. Like you just woke up and decided to buy bitcoin at $63,000 2 months ago.

Anyway, with all that sunshine and flowers out of the way. Everybody's houses are looking so great on here. @tendrac your place looks so gorgeous, and is a look we're after. Thanks for sharing your paint colors.

Some interior stuff.

Rear of house, not painted yet.

• Emily
    29 minutes ago

@TXLab, Those price increases are scary. We are not at the point yet of discovering just how far off our builder's detailed estimates were for everything going into our house. Our first draw is coming up, once the foundation is backfilled, and I don't expect too many surprises on that one, but after that...let the insanity commence! 😳🤪😵

• Kat
    17 minutes ago
    last modified: 12 minutes ago

@K H thank you. I think we've decided we'll do the stainless CAFE if we move forward with the ILVE or Hallman range to avoid the two whites not matching. In Ferguson the CAFE did look very stark white and so I can imagine they lean cool.

I love that Hazy sky, I will definetly look into that one more. There is actually a whole group on Facebook for the IVE/Hallman ranges that have been very helpful and I'd say the majority of owners have been very pleased. Tbe biggest grievance has been the delayed delivery time, but thankfully we are still so far out, it should work in our favor. The rep at Hallman is sending me a brass sample and the white and antique white samples for the stove colors and she also told me if our range happened to come in early they will hold it at their warehouse in Texas until we need it shipped to NC, which is good to know.

@TXLab you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Lumber is down to 1050 or so, but was between 600-800 when we had our first quote in December, but I don't even know how much of the lower futures cost will be calculated into our final cost in a couple of weeks. It feels like if we just waited a few more months maybe we could save a heck of a lot, but there is no crystal ball to tell us if that is so.

We were given a price of 50K for a 12x20 pool in September. We have added a few things, but now the price has trippled. They are already booking into next spring. If we don't sign now we won't have a pool next summer and our kids are getting older and we really want this for them. It's so hard to know what to do.

On a positive your house looks stunning. It's going to all be worth it in the end. Hang in there.

• nhb22
    3 minutes ago
    last modified: 2 minutes ago

TXLab - You home is beautiful!!! Love to openness of the kitchen breakfast area, and that staircase! How many roof pitches do you have? I did a double take. Thought the back was 3 different houses!