SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
jamie_z7bhz8

Veggie Tales - June 2021

Jamie
23 days ago

Happy June! In spite of the cooler temperatures many of us have experienced recently, Summer is almost here!

Comments (153)

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    8 days ago

We had pan fried zucchini flowers for dinner. These were Costato Romanesco flowers. Dipped in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper and fried in olive oil. i liked the dish. Has a delicate zucchini flavor. We need to study how to get bigger flowers. There are prickly stems at the base of the flowers which we cut off. Possibly we'd get the best flowers if we prepare this dish for lunch?

Next time i should take a picture instead of diving in.

I'm getting some use back in my right hand so I set out 3 tomato seedlings.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    8 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Sounds delicious, John.
    I think that squash flowers are mostly open in the mornings.

• Related Discussions

Veggie Tales - June 2017

Q

Comments (348)
    We had storms overnight and I was pleased when I checked the garden this morning that 1) there was about 1.25" of rain in the rain gauge; 2) there was no damage from the wind. The garden looked pretty happy this morning, and I was tickled to see that the beans that I planted just a few days ago are already sprouting. At this time of summer I am always thankful for a good soaking rain. May you all be lucky enough to get periodic rains throughout the summer.
    ...See More

Veggie Tales- January 2021

Q

Comments (281)
    Hi all - I jumped into this thread early in the month and then got caught up in work. Today was a good day to thinking about gardening though, with 3-4" fresh snow on the ground and more coming down throughout the day. I sure am glad I ordered the bulk of my seeds over the Christmas break. I just checked the results of a germination test with some old seeds (2014/2015) and placed a small order with Seed Savers, which is now publishing a 30-day shipping delay. These are seeds I don't have to start until April, so that's fine. I have broccoli seeds from 2014 that are still germinating at a great rate, so that was nice to see. My next big adventure will be going out in the next week or so to purchase some compost. We only started our pile last summer, and it's frozen/covered in snow, so I need some for my seed starting mix. I'm doing a homemade mix and trying soil blocks this year (the Elliot Coleman method). My first seeds (onions/leeks) should be started around February 15, and compost is the only ingredient in the mix I'm still missing. Trying to figure out where to get it (might end up at Home Depot) since February isn't exactly prime compost time in Wisconsin. @Cindy - I'm going to try germinating some Hot Portugal seeds from 2012 this year, so I'll report back on that. :) In the past I think I've only had to use seed that was 2-3 years old.
    ...See More

Veggie Tales - March 2021

Q

Comments (517)
    Cindy, the overnite low temps predictions here (near Richmond) range from 27 to 29 for both Fri and Sat mornings. Those numbers may be more fined tuned as the front approaches by Thurs nite, hopefully those low temps will be of short duration, and upgraded to 30F. In the past my fruit tree blooms have survived below freezing temps as long as it wasn't below 27-28F and of a short duration of just a few hours, not more than 6. Wind and humidity also plays a part in the variables. You tree cage looks perfect for covering with a blanket, just secure it in place good as windy conditions may be going on too. Keeping fingers crossed!!
    ...See More

Veggie Tales - May 2021

Q

Comments (243)
    We got a few tomatoes and a couple Costato Romanesco zucchini set out. I don't think the zucchinis will make it. The plants were about 2 feet tall and the roots were apparently so deep in the hot frame that much of the feeder roots are gone. The plants could probably sell for $29.95 if you could get them to recover after transplanting to a big pot. Need to reseed the 2 varieties of zuchinni and the cukes I seeded as I see one of each made it.
    ...See More
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    7 days ago

John - I think female Costata Romanesco flowers are about as big as they get. I've had 2 female flowers open on mine this week but no male flowers so far. I'll have to try out eating the flowers some time.

I have some tiny 1" long beans setting on both of my bush bean varieties now so maybe 2 weeks before the first harvest just in time for 4th of July weekend. My golden beets are sizing up and I'm going to pull a few to take to the lake tomorrow to include in a grilled veggie medley. I've also harvested all of my onions and the German White garlic. There are also a few peppers on my plants even though the plants are still small. I'm going to pick them tomorrow so the plants will concentrate on getting bigger.

I have maybe 10 tomatoes that have set so far and the 95-100F temps we are having for the next few days will stop any more from setting. Luckily it's supposed to only be in the low 80s for a week beginning Monday so more should set then. It's going to be late July or early August before I get any ripe ones.

• stevie
    7 days ago

I don't post much here, but i do lurk and enjoy reading, so thanks all for the reads and lovely pictures :)

Thought i'd share a picture of my "for now" urban garden.. my dream garden one day is having an acre of land!

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    7 days ago

Harvested my Russet Norkotah potatoes today. Much bigger harvest than usual with a much smaller planting area this year. Bigger than normal potatoes. I am very happy. Some big ole potatoes and some smaller ones.

Hmm, the above picture only shows two boxes. If you click on the picture it will show all the boxes. I never had that problem before.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    6 days ago

Will be picking the last of the carrots today. Cukes and squash are daily pickings now too. Have picked 3 nice Cherokee Purples to make a big shrimp salad for tonite's dinner along with the cuke and carrots and some pickled beets. The snaps are shaping up nicely now and will be pickable soon. The early corn is tasseling now and a couple of cantaloupes are forming up while the watermelons are a bit slower. Peppers are looking good, have picked a few of them (sweet banana style) but no eggplants as of yet.

Finally started to thin the pear trees out, not as many as last year but plenty enough. Got 6-7 pomegranates too, using a q-tip to aid in fertilizing the blooms helped. Persimmons seem to be plentiful too. Sweet potatoes are spreading out and are re-rooting in their prepped side rows.

^^^ Nice haul of spud Yolos!! I used to grow potatoes too but had to cut back and choose between either white potatoes or sweet potatoes. Since SPs store much longer we went with keeping them in the garden.

Need some more rain now, esp as the weekend temps here will be Hot in the mid-90's. Hopefully the tropical area in the Gulf will bring some good rain this way by Monday.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Great potato harvest, yolos.

You are so much ahead of me, vgkg.

This is what the cicadas have done to two of my blueberry bushes, both the same variety. They didn't seem too interested in the other varieties, thankfully.

My neighbor's oak tree has similar damage as well as one of my paw-paws.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    6 days ago

Nice potato harvest yolos! I didn't plant any this year and sort of regretting it.

I just harvested about a dozen baby beets that were about golf ball size, some gus spears, a few green peppers, and 3 un-pollenated Costata Romanesco that were about 3-4" long. Of course today I have 2 male flowers open on the CR and no female flowers open to pollenate.

We are off to the lake in a couple hours. I think we will spend most of Saturday IN the lake to stay cool in the 100F heat.

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)
    6 days ago

Nice potato haul, Yolos!

Cindy - Sorry to hear that the cicadas are causing so much trouble. Just, ick!

Potatoes - I was going to plant sweet potatoes for the first time this year, but the store from which I was going to get them was told by its supplier that they wouldn’t have any this year.

I’ve been away from my garden for a week. I am a bit leary of what I will find when i get home tomorrow. I suspect I will spend most of Sunday in 100 degree weather whipping things back into shape.

Stevie - Your garden is lovely. So tidy!

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Happy Father's Day to all of the dads here and everywhere!

It rained last night, just shy of 1/2" of badly needed rain. And the cicadas are receding. It's not nearly so noisy out there. And less of them are dive bombing me when I'm out there. Yeah!

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    4 days ago

It looks like the tropical storm leftovers will miss us to the south :-( we could use the rain here too. Tuesday's rain forecast looks like our best bet now. At least there will be cooler temps here by mid week, low 80's.

Picked the first snaps today and gave our neighbors a bounty of excess cukes. Tiny cantaloupes and watermelons are blooming, and the early corn could be ready in about 10 days. Finally getting around to thinning out the pears and got 6-7 nice looking pomegranates.

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    4 days ago

Having slow food at Wendy's in Helena MT on way home...two nights tho go and really missing my garden!

4 days ago

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads and everybody who had a dad. ;-)

Hot morning spent in the garden today. It was is pretty good shape, thanks to my son and DIL. I was surprised to find that my Inchellium Red garlic was totally dried up and flopped over. It wasn’t even beginning to brown before we left a week ago. Maybe it was and i just missed it, but I was shocked, to say the least. My first chore this morning was to dig that. I also dug one of the hardneck varieties - Georgian Crystal.

Next up was the Norland Red potatoes. They, too, were totally browned. I got about 23 pounds from 8 or 9 plants…and we’d had many meals-worth from the plants while they were still green and growing. I dug about half of the Purple Majesty spuds. Not as productive, but those plants haven’t totally dried up so there could still be more growing on the plants I left behind.

I picked a nice mess of beans too. 18 ounces worth. From the kids description it sounds like they got 2-3 pounds in the week we were gone. Zucchini too.

How about this onion? They’re all sizing up quite nicely.

And here’s an optimistic pic of the first cantaloupe of the season.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Decided to dig one hill of my Purple Majesty potatoes. Ended up with nine decently sized spuds and five about the size of ping pong balls. I didn't cook the small ones for tonight's dinner and they are not in the photo.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    4 days ago

Nice potatoes, yolos and Cindy. I finished the last of my store bought ones this week so I'm hoping the garden ones will be ready soon. We are much behind both of you, but maybe there will be some small new potatoes I can feel around for and take before long.

Len and itsmce, you may be in for some surprises when you return. I was gone a week and was amazed at how much everything grew....especially the weeds! Then this week I was sick for a few days, not a good way to catch up on things.

The seeds I quickly planted before leaving two weeks ago are all germinated and growing well. So glad I found time to get them in before I left. I had no idea I would get sick when I got home and "lose" this week in the garden. Ugh.

The lettuce and radishes are about done here. I'm hoping a new planting of radishes does well. Once it warms up here radishes are hit and miss.

Tomorrow I need to cut garlic scapes. Should have done it this week but between coughing and napping frequently it did not happen.

My husband live trapped an opossum near the garden while trying for the elusive woodchuck. At least it wasn't a skunk.

• RD Texas
    3 days ago

Margi, I had the same problem with my garlic, except basically the whole crop was drown with rain water. I got about 10 cloves before the floods set in (it rained another 1/2 inch last night). My whole garden is a mess and over run with weeds (except in the containers). Hopefully the fall garden will be more productive. The potatoes have been my best producers (along with blackberries, which are still going strong). I have 8 black beauty eggplants, but they are pretty small-all the pepper plants have peppers turning red and I am going to harvest some of the Transylvanian peppers tomorrow.

Len the Sunburst seeds that you sent me are from a different type of Sunburst squash. I have gotten 5 squash off the plants and they were all gourd shaped, while the ones I grew before (from Park Seeds) were all pattypan and shaped like little saucers. The gourd ones have a good flavor but have much tougher skin and more seeds. I’ll have to send you a few pattypan type seeds when my order from Park Seeds arrives.

3 days ago

Naturegirl - Congratulations on NOT trapping a skunk. I wasn't so lucky last year and I DID trap a skunk when I was actually after squirrels. After that experience whenever I set a trap I try to remember to close it for overnight hours.

Richard - I picked my first little pattypan this morning. Yay! I wonder if the seeds you got from Len were saved seeds and the pattypan had crossed with something else?

We had beans with dinner last night. First of the season. So good. We've reached that time of the season where there are more veggies harvested than consumed in a day. It's hard to keep up with gifting and preserving veggies. A good problem to have.

• RD Texas
    3 days ago

Margi, was it a Sunburst squash that you harvested? I might have had some other squash seeds planted already. These Sunburst also grew on plants with vines that grow 15-20 feet, while the pattypan grows on normal type squash plants without vines. I don’t know what happened to the mini butternut squash, but I planted some more and hope they produce like last year by the late summer/early fall.

3 days ago

Richard - Yes, it was a Sunburst Pattypan, I think from Baker Creek. Last year I had VERY good luck with my pattypans and avoiding/preventing squash bugs. As a result, some of the pattypans had extended probably 10 feet from the base of the plant, or close to that. Quite by mistake, I let all of the 5 or 6 plants live and grow. My neighbors and friends were starting to run the other direction when they saw me coming.

I failed to report in my earlier post that we (thankfully) got a little of 1/2" of rain overnight. Much needed here. Wish it had been 2 or 3 times that.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

Glad you received some rain, Margi.

This is today's berry harvest. I'm actually surprised that there are this many because my grandson was here yesterday and he ate just about everything that was ripe. He LOVES berries!

There was one lonely little blackberry ready. And everyone seems to prefer the golden raspberries, too.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 days ago

Margi - I got exactly one inch of much needed rain last night too. It was a good thing that I only watered the green beans when I got home from the lake yesterday. I thought I was going to have to water all of the other beds today. I'll be picking the first green beans this weekend. I think my bean plants have caught some disease as they don't look very healthy. Hopefully they will keep on for a couple more weeks at least.

I finally got the male and female flowers on my Costata Romanesco to tango while I was gone and there are 2 fruit sizing up today.

I went into a marine dealer down at the lake on Saturday to inquire about pre-ordering a fishing boat for next year. As it so happened they had just received 2 boats from the manufacturer on Thursday and still had one left for sale and it was the exact model that I wanted to order but not the color I wanted. I wanted fire red to match my truck and the one they had was silver. Soooo, anyway, I am picking up my new silver boat this Friday!

Here is a link if anyone wants to take a look.

Crestliner XFC 189

• RD Texas
    3 days ago

Nice boat Jack-congratulations. My truck is torch red, which has to be close to fire red. It is still raining here-around another inch in the last 3 hours or so.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    2 days ago

Thanks Richard! I'm looking forward to doing some fishing this weekend. It's got 2 graphs on it so finding the fish and knowing the depth they are at should be easy. Just need to get them to bite!

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Last leg of our trip this morning. It has been a mixed blessing seeing all of the wonderful produce you are bringing in when we are away and can't touch the green stuff...I hope things are OK when we pull in around noon!

The heat wave has reached the northwest, with forecast of 100 degrees on Sunday. We will all melt.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    2 days ago

That looks really hot for the PNW, Len. Maybe they're wrong and it won't get as hot as predicted (like they frequently are here).

Nice boat, Jack.

We had more t-storms last night and received about 9/10th" of very much appreciated rain. It also rained later in the evening though I haven't checked my gauge again. And it's raining again now. There is a cold front moving through in the next couple of hours and tomorrow looks like it will be a perfect day for gardening.

• leahikesgardenspdx
    2 days ago

I'm afraid the weather forecast Len shared is right. We hit 97 here yesterday, we're "cooling" down to 86 today, but this weekend is going to be awful, we're warmer here than Len is.

The more conservative NWS forecast: (other forecasts are for higher temps)

Some of my tomatoes new growth really seems to be suffering with the heat, and it's just a few varieties, this morning they look fine.

Edited to add that one of the Orange banana's new growth still looks droopy. Have any of you had this happen when it gets really hot?

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    2 days ago

Yeehaa...Just in the nick of time we got 1.75" of a nice rain today, the garden gave off an audible "sigh"......or was that me? Right after it ended I had to go out and pick a couple of big tomatoes which were half way on redding up, they would surely have split open (those thin skinned heirlooms). It's gonna be a heavy snap harvest in the morning. My 7 cuke plants are pumping out a dozen/day now. Our pickling is all done, look out neighbors!

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    2 days ago

Going on a trip starting tomorrow. For the 3 stents, well maybe up to 3. I'll get back to yunz when I get back.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    2 days ago

Hope everything goes smoothly, John. Good luck.

• Labradors
    2 days ago

All the best John!

Linda

2 days ago

John - We’ll be eager for your return. Mind your manners,

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    2 days ago

We had 3-1/2 inches of rain in the last few days. Diseases sprouting on my tomato plants.

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    yesterday

Looking forward to your new energy John!

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

We ended up getting another half inch of rain yesterday so the total for the previous two days was 1.4 inches. Very glad to have it, too.

vgkg - My cucumber plants are just now flowering. I am so far behind you.

More garlic digging today for me.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    yesterday

Richard and other southern gardeners - Irish Eyes has most of their potatoes 50% off.

https://irisheyesgardenseeds.com/product-category/potatoes/

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    yesterday

Greetings all, guy home yesterday and all is well here. Picked a few pounds of snap peas and pulled up about half of garlic. Tomatoes growing and setting fruit in hoop house and gh. Lots more to do today while it is cool before very hot weekend coming.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    yesterday

Welcome back, Len. Glad you had a safe trip.

• RD Texas
    yesterday

John, I hope all goes well and you receive the maximum benefit from the procedure. Looking forward to your triumphant return to Veggie Tales,

• RD Texas
    yesterday

Cindy, they have some great deals on potatoes, but $28 shipping is too rich for me. $12.50 for 5 pounds is close to the best i have seen-may be great for those closer to the merchant. What happened to the word program on Houzz? It sucks horribly now-never had a problem before-maybe it will get better again with the new month.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    yesterday

John - May the stints be with you! You'll be digging up new gardens in no time.

It's going to get up into the 90s again for the next few days but then it will cool down a bit into the mid 80s. At least we have a decent shot at rain several days in the next 2 weeks.

• RD Texas
    yesterday

Cindy, all of the new tomato seeds sprouted except the Delano Black, but I don’t think I cured them right. The Orange Ping Pong seeds look bad, but they all sprouted.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    yesterday

That's great, Richard. Don't think that I was interested in Delano Black so not a problem.

I just googled that variety and didn't find anything except a green tomato.

• RD Texas
    yesterday

• RD Texas
    yesterday

Len, those are the Transylvanian peppers. The tomatoes were all growing ”wild”.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    12 hours ago

Planted my last batch of late corn seed today, I have planted it as late as July 4th but those ears turn out about half size when they're harvested in Sept. Tomatoes coming in daily now (from the 3 plants I bought back in late March). The tomato plants I started indoors (also in late March) are still green and won't be pickable for at least 10 more days. Snap beans are coming in heavy now as are the cukes and squash. So glad we got almost 2" of rain on Tuesday.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    12 hours ago

Cindy, Lab, Linda, Margi, Richard, and Jack - Thanks for your concern. I'm back home with 2 new stents. From reports some vessels somehow have improved???? One was worse and got both stents. The others instead of 70% blocked were actually 30%.

I'm still going to stay cautious for awhile and not attack the extensive work that's piling up.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    12 hours ago
    last modified: 12 hours ago

That's great, John! Glad that you are home and things are looking up. That sure was a short trip.

vgkg - I hadn't considered a third planting of sweet corn. May have to do that as I still have some of one garden that has space.

12 hours ago

Vgkg - I am envious of your rain! It is currently 100 degrees and the wind is clocking in at almost 30 mph.

My first tomato harvest. :-)

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    11 hours ago

Beautiful peppers Richard! I have tiny bushes so far (

• Labradors
    10 hours ago

Good to see you back John! That certainly was a lightning visit! Sounds as if everything went well. Rest up, and please take it easy :) No digging for a while!

Linda

Sponsored
Lux Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Loudoun County Interior Designer- 7x Best of Houzz