mischievous_magpie

Summer's Start Thread 2021

This is a thread meant to celebrate the start of summer! All are more than welcome here, so please join in with your photos, garden triumphs and frustrations alike, and your hopes and wishes for the season.
June is such a fantastic month for our roses, so I can't wait to see the gardens turning lush and fragrant. As we experience this season of abundance I hope we each have beautiful moments of fortune and gratitude. May you each enjoy many gorgeous summer sunsets, the romantic feel of a fresh velvety bloom against your skin, and the tastes and fragrances of summer that light up your dearest memories. Let all the warm zoners have a well earned rest after a season of hard work, and all the cold zoners rejoice in their turn.
To all of you, well wishes and good garden fortunes 😊💛

Comments (342)

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    Original Author
    2 days ago

John Cabot feeling a bit more outgoing today

• Chrissy GardensTooMuch9aHouston
    2 days ago

A few buds and a dirty bloom

Munstead Wood

Falstaff

Earth Angel

Silver Lining (after i accidentally sprayed it with compost tea)

• Related Discussions

Show Us Your Landscape/Gardens - A Photo Thread - January 2021

Q

Comments (37)
    Sue, you always sound like a very busy and productive person! Painting rooms! Love it. Babs, what a cute name!! Flax! I think getting a dog is one of the best decisions for someone who is grieving. Dogs are such a comfort and good company too. Yes, COVID and working from home was the reason for the addition of the dachshund in our family too. They were going a little stir crazy at home without co workers, and decided it was a good time to get a dog. It has worked out better than I ever expected. They did virtual training classes too. And while they were doing a lot of walking any way, it's increased and the stairs up and down, in and out. They are as fit as they've ever been. [g] The dachshund puppy is called Babs, believe it or not. lol I'd love to post a photo but, they'd kill me if I did. So I found a photo online of a dog that is similar.... you can see how low to the ground he is. He gets soaked and sometimes muddy when he's walking in wet weather. I love that photo of the early morning sky!
    ...See More

LAVENDER/PURPLE Roses: 2021 Color Threads

Q

Comments (132)
    @sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) I've never seen any kind of disease on it. It's very healthy. I only can't comment on how good the repeat is because it's in a fair amount of shade beneath a black walnut tree. Spring flush is great though. @rosecanadian thank you so much! Glad you're feeling better.
    ...See More

ORANGES/APRICOTS: 2021 Color Threads

Q

Comments (65)
    Carla, oohh la la ,Cherry Brandy What a beauty! Paly, your Jolie is a stunner. I have a baby Jolie and havent seen a bloom yet so seeing yours is pretty exciting. Chris, At Last is new and l got one flush and laughed because it took so long to bloom that I figured that that was how they got the name. I had decided that it should go but then in the late summer it bloomed and it was beautiful. The bush is small and nicely shaped and the blooms are small but beautiful. There is something about it that I really like.
    ...See More

Show Us Your Landscape/Gardens - A Photo Thread - April 2021

Q

Comments (60)
    Defrost - It’s really a shame that life has to get in the way of our gardening. [g] Last year, we changed our mowing habits a little. We started mowing higher on the first cut of the season and staying higher. Normally we’d cut as low as possible in both early spring and fall and not start keeping it long until it gets hot. I thought it made sense to follow that recommendations because the taller grass shades out some of the weeds. I thought it looked better last year. Don’t get me wrong - we leave a lot of ‘weeds’ growing in the lawn and do not use commercial lawn products at all. We have clover, violets and dandelions and a few others. We use all the grass for mulch mixed with fall leaves when we have them and mulch the vegetable garden. I’m always afraid to delay cutting the dandelions because they go to seed so quickly and I don’t notice and then miss my chance before the seeds are flying all over the yard. I am happy to have some dandelion but I don’t want to keep increasing them. [g] I’m doing the same thing with my Blue Holly. It needs a hard pruning but it’s full of flower buds that the bees just love and I’m waiting until that is done to prune it. Dunbarton for a daffodil display - that sounds nice. I’ve always wanted to go to Daffodil Week on Nantucket but have never made it. Too busy using every weekend to get the garden ready every year. That’s a nice idea for a community to focus on adding daffodils. I don’t know of another place, sorry. I don’t have the fiddlehead ferns either. I wonder if New England Wildflower Society has them?
    ...See More
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 days ago

We had a neighbor at our first home that was always out digging in the dark of night, turns out he was a drug dealer burying his dope and cash.

I just thought that he really loved his yard and just enjoyed Moonlight gardening.

• rosecanadian
    2 days ago

Sara Ann - yeah, that's not a mix. I would find that disappointing too. What do you think of the fragrance of Sheila's Perfume? I can't figure out what the components are....honey and rose?

Steven - wonderful pictures!

Kristine - 90 roses sound wonderful!!! I keep wanting to buy new roses...but you just can't here. They're nowhere to be found at this time of year. I find it very frustrating. LOL

Hutchae - so funny!! Her neighbor was probably was just like us!! Yes, I can totally see Bathsheba as a favorite rose...I'm so impressed with it as seen on this forum!!

Magpie - maybe it's my night filter (which is always on), but your John Cabot looks fuchsia...WOW!!! I love it!!

• rosecanadian
    2 days ago

Kristine - really? LOL My goodness...I would have never thought anyone would be digging a spot to hide dope.

Chrissy - I really love your Falstaff!!

I'm so excited!!!!! I phoned up a place (about an hour's drive away)...and they said they have lots of fragrant hybrid tea roses!! Even if I have the ones they have (which happens a lot)...I'm still going to buy something...even if it's a perennial. And I REALLY!!! need to get out of the house...rain, rain, rain. I bought a Stainless Steel rose from them once. And I love that rose. :) :) I'll tell you here if I found anything!!

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 days ago

@rosecanadian My phone camera does not capture blue tones well when I try to photograph flowers. It always looks off, so I tried to tweak the photo to make it look more true to color. When I held my screen beside the actual bloom, I felt like that photo was true to color. It's very vibrant indeed, definitely the "loudest" rose I have. And my slowly opening Munstead Wood is also looking much more vibrant than advertised 😅

• Kitty6aNY
    2 days ago
    last modified: yesterday

Kristine, Ok who knew? You have 90 roses!!!!! Chuckle, chuckle, snicker...join us hoarders! Woohoo-you graduated!

And I ordered & bought at a nursery more roses today, too. Dont tell anyone! I drove 45 min to a nursery to buy what they had left in 2 pinks to replace ”Dr Huey take overs!” I will dig holes to pull out D Hueys to plant ”Painted Porcelain HT & Easy to Please.” I would like soft pinks...but Easy to Please is a temp for that location. Then I ordered another Eden, a Strawberry Hill and a Heritage. Yesterday I ordered Haweye Belle similar to Morden’s Blush as it was available. (Morden’s Blush is not.) id like a Jacques Cartier, but have to wait. And a few weeks ago I ordered Madame Anisette. Thats 7 new roses I bought recently...some I have a good excuse- replacements. My new Eden will climb my front porch as I jist love my other Eden climbing near my bay window-kitchen porch. Strawberry Hill replaces rose seeds that didnt germinate, Lol And I just need more soft pinks! Now at 111 roses,. Must stop buying roses, soon! Lol!

Rosecanadian, Carol, Kristine,

Ha, Ha, Im singing Hotel California for all of us! “you can never leave............” We are all in the club now! Thank you Carol about my roses-they are on a bloomin’ spree with this super hot heat! Im shipping you my Mystery Mistake Rose., Lol

Yes, we need more soil & more roses! More is better, right?

• rosecanadian
    yesterday

Kitty - yes, more is better...as long as they're good roses. :)

Well, I'm back from my greenhouse trip. I'm feeling much happier...being with plants is so good for the soul! I got 2 roses....Le Petit Prince and Francis Meilland. It was really hard to find good roses there....tons of black canes. The ones I found will still have a few canes once I cut off the black canes. Definitely no blooms...they'll be very small after I prune them. So, I've been searching Houzz comments on these two roses...some people love them, like, and are disappointed with them. Anyone have any thoughts on them? :)

Original Author
    yesterday

@rosecanadian I'll update more in a few days after mine blooms, all I know so far is that I like how super shiny the foliage is on LPP. What I'm watching out for is if it can handle the sun here, as I know some people have issues with the petals frying in the heat.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    yesterday

Some more of my Like No Other. Not as purple as I hoped but beautiful color nevertheless.

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • Kitty6aNY
    yesterday

Carol,

Im so excited you bought 2 new roses and I love them. I have a new Francis Meilland FM and it has healthy pretty leaves planted in early May. FM is supposed to be @really fragrant, beautiful soft pink and a very large in diameter. It is used in France at florists! It is one of my most favorites next to Eden. I dint have Le P Prince but it sounds wonderful with a strong fragrance, gotge gorgeous lavendar petals andbis a floribunda so you will have lots of blooms! Starting fresh is lovely with new roses! Im so happy for you!

Friends,

Today was 82F but it felt like high 90F and after buying roses at the nursery I watered more then watered in evenig again, since grass seed needs to be moist. A super challenge keeping it all watered and moist. I really ought to simplify.

I still have a few plants to put in the ground....zinnias, lupine, grape vine, more more..I’m behind in planting... when I catch up I think I’ll not buy one more plant! If I ever catch up! Lol!

(The heat came early this year and my plants from in the house were not hardened off yet outside still sitting behind a bush..They are growing stronger in the hot weather now. However, these plants: lupine , aster, cosmos is still small & zinnia is small, too, so I have been afraid to put them out in the beds w/lots of full sun.. They are in part sun beds w/morning light behind a butterfly bush doing very well hardened off. . Maybe I should just put them in larger pots like Sara has done?

Of my direct sown seeds outside a few have grown or sprouted: Allisum growing white flowers-supposed to be mixed colors, primrose sprouting, holly hock in lots of beds sprouted lots, sweet peas about 4 inches tall, English double mix daisies are sprouting.

Sara , Have you tried growing any of these seeds... ? ...I am not sure that my direct sown seeds will ever come up: fox glove, snap dragons, delphinium, carnations, columbine? I think I should have planted them in pots like your seedlings outside. There is always next year. This year may buy a few of these in plants.

Lots of lilies sprouted and some buds forming. Tomatoes-squash-strawberries have flowers,

I wonder what my bulbs sprouting are? Maybe my Summer Daffodils? Yes! I will have these special daffodil blooming in June!!!!

Lots of roses spent in the sun...time to dead head. Many bushes are in full bloom as the sun beats down daily on my gardens... I think they love it. im not so fond of the heat but 70Fs is coming in 2 days! Yay! Relief!

• Kitty6aNY
    yesterday

Karen, Lovely roses!

Hutchae, Love your roses esp. Moonligh Moonlight in Patis & Risemary!

Steve,,Quietness is so lovely! Please share more close up photos.

Magpie, Wow! Cabot is blooming all over now! And Munstead W is on its way to bloom! Your roses are taking off! How exciting!

Chrissy, Mustead W is budding out! Woohoo! I love Earth Angel & yours us startibg to bloom! My MW & Earth A are newbies -very small only keaves so far. Yours will be beautiful!

Original Author
    yesterday

@rosecanadian here is an unedited photo of JC, but I feel as if the color is a bit warmer-toned in the photo than it is in real life.

yesterday

I know that some of you havent had your first flush yet and I am going to complain about deadheading

What a job, geeze!

Desdamona must have had hundreds of blooms. It took forever to clean that up. I just wish that it spoke to my heart. To me it is an ok rose but I have rosed that I really love and my 4 Desdamona arent them unfortunately

If I was ever to do it all over again, I would only plant hybrid teas

They are so much faster to deadhead.

Carol, those sound like 2 really beautiful roses Nothing like just getting out and browsing plants to lift your spirits

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    yesterday

Thank you Magpie, these are a low growing zinnia that are supposed to be an improved variety, I wanted to try them. I love your John Cabot!

Kristine and Carol, I thought I wasn’t going to get any more mixed seed packets, but i did get a few. It can get a little ridiculous, because I want all the colors! I wish that, especially with flowers that come in lots of colors, they would offer the individual colors in a set and discount the price a little. For example, instead of having 50 seeds in each packet they could have 25 or 30, that would be plenty for most flowers.

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • rosecanadian
    yesterday

Magpie - thanks! And any pictures of it would be MOST welcome! :) Yes, that's more like the color I remember JC as being. :)

Chris - my...that's beautiful!! :) :)

Kitty - oh that's SO nice to hear...that FM is one of your most favorite roses!! That makes me feel great that I bought it!! Yeah, your weather has been pretty hot, and it must be difficult for your plants. Maybe you don't have to pot up your young plants since you're having cooler weather coming...Maybe when the cooler weather comes, you can plant them right in the ground?

Kristine - so true! I felt tons better. And tomorrow (Friday) is going to be an outside day...finally! Weather should be 18C/64F. Much warmer! Now maybe my roses can start doing something. Your Desdemona is probably a pretty big plant?? that would be difficult to dig out??

Sara Ann - are the seeds for next year? Cause it's a little late to plant now...or am I wrong? :) I think it's a great idea for you to grow plants by seed...so much cheaper and you can get a nice variety. Your snaps really look good in that bouquet...and it will be fun for you to watch the buds keep opening. :) I tried to grow snaps once or twice...they never looked good for me. Yours look much stronger and succulent than mine did. :)

Well....there's a new-ish place that I order roses from (B.C.) and their list came up on their website for Weeks roses. So I preordered for next year. They said they have very few of each type of rose...so I wanted to get in early. I ordered:

1. Sedona (I had one...it didn't do well...but I loved the sweet pear fragrance, and I want to try it again.)

2. Pink Peace (died in the GGDO)

3. Chrysler Imperial

4. Chantilly Cream !! I'm really excited about this one! Does anyone here grow it?

• Kitty6aNY
    yesterday

Kristine,

I think of you often as I clean up in my yard..weeding...dead heading...planting new....we toil a little too much. I used to have it simple...now I garden every day.... your dead heading sounds ”Big!” I really ought to take a bulldozer to my roses if I cant find an easier way to maintain them! Lol! Thats my plan for my climbers if they ever give me trouble. But I dream of gardens such as Diane’s friend with arbors and roses everywhere. Now I see why you are out in your gsrden daily-you have 90 roses! I am so amazed. Yours are much bigger than mine so you are giving me a taste of what I have to look foward to. Lol Oh, I’d rather like the simple life.....Ahhhhhhhh! I am going to finish the planting I need to do and then somehow find a way to relax & enjoy it.

Sara, Beautiful bouquet! Cant believe you grew them all from seed. Mine are just little seedlings.

Carol, By cooler weather it will be 79-80-72F for 6 days then a few low 80s. 80sF is too hot here w/some humidity. June is mainly hot. I will plant roses, rhubarb, and the grape vine but not my tiny seedlings. I am concerned if I miss a watering in the moning they will dry up. I think I will put them in bigger pots & keep them on the morning sun side of home where they have part shade, too. Next year Ill start seeds earlier so they can be taller by spring end. They are really healthy & happy now! They will be pretty in pots.

BTW, I discovered I really enjoy growing seeds...its just fun but you can have so much more variety such as Sara’s and Diane’s amazing snaps and other flowers! ...a much more plentiful garden!

I have Pink Peace-its a classic pink cutting rose-pretty! Ill look up Chantilly Cream. Your new roses sound so wonderful! I am so excited for you! FM is the best ! I have seen photos of the ”big blooms of FM and they are sooooooo huge and the perfume!!!! You will swoon over it!

Chantilly Cream sounds really beautiful...love it! Its frilly with lovely double old fasioned blooms...love the creamy color will be so complimentary in bouquets and its a strong scent, vigorous and very disease resistant! What more could you ever wish for? Its the perfect perfect blend of a little cream & yellow.

• Kitty6aNY
    yesterday

Good Morning,

Sun came in my bedroom at 5:00am but I dont get up at that time! Yikes! I am up by 5:30am thinking roses....

Ceres & Friends, , Ever since I saw Ceres’ garden colors I have been swooning over the pastels esp the pinks! I am now planning on adding many more pastel pinks and english/old fasioned pastel roses to my gardens and may replace a few bold ones. Id like to have a mainly pastel English cottage garden or English rose garden eventually... but I like the hybrid teas and some variety, too. Ive been thinking about it a lot lately.... garden designs... will we ever finish? Love the pinks, peaches, creams, lavendars and maybe softer yellows. (I have deep pinks & Munstead W but thats enough color.) I just made a list of my favorite pastel english pinks which I may order for next year. I just ordered for July delivery: H Belle, M Anisette, Eden, Strawberry Hill, and Heritage from Heirloom Roses. I am looking for own root roses, too, if possible. What are your favorite english or OGR pastels or pinks roses?

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    yesterday

Solero, another favorite of mine.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    yesterday

Close ups

• Kitty6aNY
    yesterday

Chris, Lovely Lovely! Very big rose bush...looks kinda like Diane’s Julia Childs. You must be taking really goid care of it to have it soooooo big! Very oretty in front of your home. I really like its frilly english apoearing blooms & light yellow sometimes!

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    yesterday

Kitty the perspective might be deceiving. She is only about 3 feet tall and wide. Maybe a tiny bit more.

• Ashley Smith zone 5a
    yesterday

Beautiful pics everyone!

Honey Dijon and Earth Angel have been my favorites lately, they're already a bit past their first flush prime. But still beautiful.

Some Robin Hood roses I bought before I knew much about roses still bring me joy:

Only problem with them is they attract Japanese Beetles more than any of my other roses. At least they're at a separate place in the yard, away from my other roses. Another bad thing is their wicked thorns. They are awful! Hence the weeds you see growing up in them.

My Incrediballs are just starting to bloom. I planted them last year so it's fun to see what they'll do.

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked Ashley Smith zone 5a
  • chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    yesterday

My Robin Hood is blooming now too, and so is my Purple Skyliner.

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • Kitty6aNY
    yesterday

Chris & Ashley, Your roses are blooming ravishly! Gorgeous Robin Hood & Skyliner!

I am in awe of these blooming roses.

And my roses, too! I havnt really had in years so many blooms! And the blooming season is just beginning!! My are we all in for a beautiful season!

yesterday

Ha ha, I woke up at 6 and staggered out of bed, took my meds and headed out to water and it is raining. I guess that somehow I missed that wrather report

Looks like a few more days of light rain and then a big warm up.

Kitty, most of us are crazy. We complanin about all of the work that we have created for ourselves but we never stop planning for next year lol Now that is an addiction for sure.

I shouldn't malign poor Desdamona. That really is a great rose. No thrips for one thing and plenty of blooms.

It is just that 4 of them is 3 too many for me.

She isnt the worst to prune either, that award may belong to Olivia Austin. She has got a ton of laterals shooting up in to the middle of the bush chocking everything out.

Yep, its all fun and games until it's time to deadhead lol

Carol, Im so excited about your roses for next year. It is never too early. I have only seen pictures of Sedona and Pink Peace but judging from the pictures and reviews I think that they are beautiful.

Im glad that you were able to snag what you did.

Ashley, wow !Your Robin Hood rose is so much fun. What a great color

Chris, Purple Skyliner is really beautiful!

Sara Ann, remember when seed packets were ,35 cents ?

I found a packet of Morninglory seeds from the Dollar Store and it looks like a couple are coming up.

Maybe next yezr I will see what else they have to offer

I love your Asters so much that I will definitely try them.

I spent a lot on seeds without much sucess but I am determined to get better so I can teach Azalea to grow food.

I wa thinking about which rose makes me smile and honestly most of them do but one that always makes me happy is The Fawn. What a happy sweet rose.

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    yesterday

Falstaff says good morning

Earth Angel was up early too

And the Fairy also says hi

Munstead is opening lovely

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked Chrissy GardensTooMuch9aHouston
  • librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    yesterday

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw I didn't check the forecast either and was surprised by rain! I had planned a day in the garden (today is my day off). Change of plans. But I'm so happy for this rain and I'm really happy that it seems pretty widespread in Oregon if we're both getting it. We've been so eerily dry this spring.

It's really nice to pop in here and see so many lovely garden photos 😊 It is the best time of year. I just want to spend all my free time in our garden. The bare roots I planted in April have buds getting ready to open and my 3 2nd year roses are such a joy!

In other news this own root potted "Desdemona" that I planted in October is sprawling like a climber and its blooms look identical to my Wollerton Old Hall...

@Kitty6aNY your not Red Eden mystery rose looks lovely. Im glad you'll be getting a replacement. It has me wondering about ther Red Eden I got from Heirloom last fall. Its just now setting buds.... we'll see what I get.

yesterday

Heirloom has 20% off all David Austin roses right now. I picked up a Lichfield because I have an addiction. *sigh*

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked Chrissy GardensTooMuch9aHouston
  • Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    yesterday

Chrissy I know where I will be today....

My two Earth Angels under this urn are just about to bloom, dreary day here but as others stated, very much needed. Looking at this area makes me so happy because untill this year there wasn't anything here except dirt and bindweed.

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
  • Kitty6aNY
    yesterday
    last modified: 22 hours ago

Kristine,Ok, we all belong to the ”Rosy Crazy Club!” Fun, Fun! -work-work-work in our garden! There is an end to this work-right-at the end of the rainbow? So you like watering roses in the rain...hmmmm...Lol! BTW, a hack saw would dead head your roses really fast-great idea, right? Does Olivia really get thay tall? I have a new Olivia in my front yard-hope not too tall? Love your Fawn rose-where did you buy it?

One of my 3 clematis ( My favorite pink) dried up in the heat-it was planted in direct good rich soil hidden by my lilac & my 2 other clematis are in pots/potting soil in my bed. The other 2 clematis are doing exceptionally well w/buds. I guess those little delicate plants “like pots first season better”. I buried their pots in the soil hidden by my lilac and few plants. and have slways watered well. They get partial sun. Well, the clematis saga continues.

Chrissy, Beautiful roses! Love your ”The Fairy.” I have a new one. You’ll love Lichfield Angel-in scond year my L Angel is profusely blooming!

Librarian, Your Desdomona looks do healthy and pretty! Thank you about my Mistake Rose... its quite a surpse! cant wait to see your Red Eden bloom!

Hutchae, Love your Earth Angel! Beautiful bloom! My EA is just a baby...someday it will bloom.😊

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked Kitty6aNY
  • Kitty6aNY
    yesterday

A few surprises on my stroll in my gsrden today ...

Lichfield Angel profusely 2nd year blooms

Moonlight Magic

Windsor Castle triple bloom image

Apricot Drift

Eden

Blooms are HUGE TODAY!!! 6 inches diameter!!

Mystery Mistake Rose (Ok, really pretty, guess I’ll keep her. She fades from red striped to pink.)

Its called, “Parade Day,” w/glissy leaves, very fragrant, and huge blooms and most vigorous growing healthy bush of new roses!

Laguna Cl. (It will be more frilly, pinker & big in future.)

Kiss of Desire

Peachy Knock Out

Bonica

• Kitty6aNY
    yesterday
    last modified: 23 hours ago

Today I pulled out 2 Dr Huey. “Bye, Bye, Bouquet Memorial.” ..One bush had 30 blooms first time ever...rather pretty 3 ft but tossed away. I think its too vigorous a bush for me to care for.

Click... Dr Huey (They were pretty roses!) Love the deep crimson red. Ill enjoy my Munstead W in the future, instead.

Then I put a couple new potted roses in the holes. Its temporary because next week I do new lawn landscaping in front/side yard and will move a few roses around, too, along w/driveway renovations.

Then I potted my seedlings which are hardened off, potted my grape vine, planted seedling marigolds-rhubarb -liastris finally! And planted 2 new mini roses from last weeks purchase. Now all is planted until the great renovations next week. I will be transplanting plants afterwards to the new areas. And so the work never ends....

But this week I will enjoy gardens for awhile & water...take a rest!

Original Author
    21 hours ago

Munstead is just never not going to be pink for me 🤪

• Diane Brakefield
    21 hours ago

Magpie, Your MW bud is exquisite, and has such a graceful shape. Is your weather hot now? My Munsteads started blooming a while ago in a nice dark shade, and then our heat wave hit, and all the blooms are much lighter and brighter. If you get cool weather coming up, and definitely by Sept, your MW should darken. How old is your plant? My roses often darken as they get older. Take heart. Diane

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked Diane Brakefield
    Original Author
    20 hours ago

@Diane Brakefield This is MW's 3rd year. It does better each year with number of blooms, but they're always this color. Our forecast is full sun and high 90's all week and beyond, pretty unpleasantly hot.

• Karen F
    16 hours ago

I will say one thing my coral dawn rose is determined not to let the gypsy moth caterpillars win the battle on it. Saying I refuse to give in to you. I think we are winning and that one bud where there was a caterpillar on it and pulled off it I was taken back to see that it wasn't affected that much and it may just open. I don't think it will have as many blooms on it this year as it did last year due to the nasty gypsy moth caterpillars eating the leaves. But it is getting new shoots on it. Should see my campfire and my chinook sunrise roses even my knockout and my drift one going absolutely BALLISTIC with blooms!!!! Got to get pixs of them tomorrow!!!. Oh and my Aurora Borealis rose has opened up its first bloom!!! Shield rose has yet to have any open on it but it does have lots and lots of buds on it. So does my Blaze and the Always tea rose. Saw the Song sparrow in the garden where they are. Good go to it I say. :) But here are some pictures I took of the Aurora Borealis, the drift rose, the campfire, the knockout, the chinook sunrise and the At last rose. More have opened up on the campfire, the knockout, the chinook and the drift rose since I took this one of them.!!!!! This is the Aurora Borealis rose.

• Karen F
    16 hours ago

This one is the double pink knockout roses. I think they are are having a contest to see who can get the most blooms open on one :) The campfire, knockout or the chinook sunrise.

• Karen F
    16 hours ago
    last modified: 16 hours ago

These ones are of the campfire rose. Sooo many cool but gorgeous colors combos on this one!!! A lot of people here are saying how beautiful it is. And I have to agree with them!!! Buds on top of buds on top of a bloom. Wow. I thought it was going weird last year with blooms but this year obviously it is has really gone beserk!!!! It sure loves that Miracle gro food that the lady applied to them for me!!!!

• Karen F
    16 hours ago

And this is is my awesome drift rose. When I bought it and planted it here everybody was commenting on how gorgeous it was. I am happy to report that it survived the winter and it is doing its thing this year. Finally success as the others had died on me. But this one is growing shall I dare say it like a WEED!!! But the flowers on it are soooo neat as when they are buds are a yellow color and then they open up and are a pale yellow but a day or two later they change to white!!!!

• Karen F
    15 hours ago
    last modified: 15 hours ago

Try again rose bloom was on its side.:) This is just one. Ended up having 15 of them on it and were roughly this size. This was my coral dawn rose in 2020.

• Karen F
    15 hours ago

To see whole rose click on it!!!! Here is another one of it. The above was taken in 2020 August. That is my lamb planter next to it.

• rosecanadian
    12 hours ago
    last modified: 12 hours ago

Kitty - your cool days are our hot days. :) I'm glad that you are really enjoying growing plants from seeds! It's such a nice feeling when things work so well. :) I forgot to say that I had also bought a pink larkspur plant. I don't have enough pink in my garden. :) I had Pink Peace...and I loved it...to me the fragrance was like Fruit Loops. Oh wow!!! Now I really want to smell FM blooms!!! Swooning in advance!! :) I know!!! Isn't Chantilly Cream beautiful?!!! I'm so excited about it. Sounds like it would fit in really well with your lighter color rose garden!! :) Welcome to the "I killed my clematis/es club." I'm the founding member. LOL

Chris - I can see why you love this splendid yellow rose!! :) Really prolific bloomer on a wonderful bush!

Ashley - lovely roses!!! I really love your Honey Dijon!! But, then I saw the clear, bright color of your Earth Angel...and I think I love that even more! Wonderful!! Both you and Chris grow Robin Hood! What a blooming fool!!! :) :)

Kristine - Oh!! I can imagine you teaching Azalea how to grow food!! Especially ones you can eat right off the vines/plant!! She'll love that! Thanks!! I hope my new roses will be great for me next year...so full of promise!! I love the look of your roses next to the birdbath.

Chrissy - I love the brightness of the green next to the brightness of your Falstaff! Good Morning, Falstaff!! Chrissy, an addiction? Nah...I don't think you have an addiction any more than I do. LOL

Hutchae - I'm so proud of you for changing dirt/weeds to a splendid oasis that bees/lady bugs/lacewings, birds etc. can enjoy!! Beautiful!!!

Kitty - you'll LOVE Parade Day!!!! The fragrance is intense and it blooms and blooms!!! Your bloom is GORGEOUS!!!!! Wahoo!!! I'm excited for your renovation pictures!

Magpie - that's really pretty, even if it isn't pink. :)

Karen - good job!!! Your roses are doing SO well!!!! I think that your Coral Dawn rose and your yellow Drift rose are my favorites!! :) :)

My roses are doing a bit better. New leaves are growing...baby steps. :)

• Kitty6aNY
    6 hours ago
    last modified: 4 hours ago

Magpie, Well, you made it to summer -90F! Your roses will start blooming in leaps & bounds! At least your Munstead is blooming! My MW is a baby bareroot!

Carol, Yes, ”Thanks on my seedlings/& roses & to welcome me into the I killed my clematis club” -a wonderful feeling! Lol! I am excited to see how Parade Day ( My Mystery Mistake turns out to be a blessing!) performs-it is my most vigorous rose bush-biggest in its first year-surprised! I also love my new Painted Porcelain in place of Dr Huey-love PP‘s soft pinks. Love your new pinks & pink larkspur! They will be so enjoyable! I think Ill peak at my gardens now after a light rain. Im so glad your roses are frowing leaves now……you have .so much to look forward to! Dont you just love the fushia striped (Mystery rose is) ”Parade Day,” rose! But Heirloom is shippibg me a replacement Red Eden.

I peaked at my gsrdens this morn-ridiculous light rain- hardly even noticed! Glad I watered last night for new grass. i watered quickly this morning as some were not even damp. Its overcast w/clouds, though, pleasantly cool! Yay! 79F today. Saw bites in half circles on many leaves & other insect holes…time to spray Neem for first time.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    6 hours ago
    last modified: 6 hours ago

Magpie, I agree with Diane, that Munstead Wood bud is exquisite!

So many beautiful blooms everyone!

We had a severe thunderstorm during the early morning hours, thankfully the roses and flowér plants all survived it, with a few that looked pretty wind blown, but are okay. We received a little over 1 1/2 inches of rain, which is good. The storm woke me up around 12:30 this morning, when the power went off, and the generator took over. The first real test that it works. Apparently, the power was off for over six hours, because the generator was still running when we got up this morning.

STEPHEN’S BIG PURPLE, isn’t really purple, but it’s fragrant!

SOUVENIR DE LA MALMAISON blooming again.

CHINA ASTERS - I’m not sure how these are going to continue to do, the blooms are just beginning and I’m pleased so far. I look forward to seeing the others bloom. Kristine, right now I would say they would be worth a try. I’m anxious to see the double ones bloom.

COSMOS - I’m a little disappointed that these are all the same color, but not at all disappointed in the bloom production, unlike last year.

AGERATUM

A few of my large zinnias should be blooming soon, marigolds are setting on lots of buds and my snapdragons are putting on lots of new growth. And hopefully the rudbeckia will be blooming soon.

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    6 hours ago

Carol, at this point I’m through with planting seeds in pots. So far just about everything is growing good. We have a fairly long growing season here, so I’m hopeful that most everything will bloom.

Kitty, I haven’t grown any of those flowers you mentioned, but i would sure like to try carnations again, hopefully I can have success next year. Columbines are such gorgeous flowers, but one I thought would not be suited to our climate. Your Parade Day is gorgeous! Love that Moonlight Magic too!

Original Author
    4 hours ago

Good morning all 👋 I am excited because I think the sun and heat today is going to help a few buds bloom today! Things are still just starting out here, but I've got my eye on my MW and LPP buds today. John Cabot continues to open new blooms each day and made a large new cluster of buds as well. You know, I don't know why I picked that rose, I didn't think I'd like it much. However, I'm so very pleased with it this year after watching it grow and bloom in person. I love the simplicity of the blooms and the fact that the color is vibrant. I am so glad to have it this year. It's still quite small, but I'm impressed anyway.

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    3 hours ago

Spirit of Freedom, Earth Angel, Ascot and Soeur Emmanuelle say hello

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 hours ago

Mas, what a splendid debut of your roses. I think I love Spirit of Freedom best with the foxglove growing amongst it. The colors are lovely. I'm especially envious of that pretty foxglove. It doesn't grow well here in the desert. Earth Angel has such gorgeous deep cupped blooms, and of course, I like the stunning blooms of Ascot. Your garden is lovely. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    2 hours ago

Sara Ann, I didn't know you grew Stephen's Big Purple, a classically beautiful rose, but I agree with you it's not purple (and neither were the two I grew). SdlM is, as always, gorgeous--at least yours always is. What a great variety of flowers you are successfully growing. Love the cosmos, which may not be a mix, but I see two different shades in there. Keep the photos coming. Wow, that must have been some storm you had. We've had constant wind and one rare downpour which has caused a lot of bloom damage. The deadheading has been horrible--I spent five hours on it yesterday with hundreds of blooms going into the garbage. Evelyn was the worst hit, with most of the four E's flush wrecked. Today looks good, but we go into the high 90s tomorrow. Diane