SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Suggestions for hair thickening products?

amykath
2 years ago

I was hoping to get some suggestion of products (creams, mouse, shampoo, gel, powders etc) that give hair texture and make it look thicker than it is.

I have fine hair and as I have aged it has definitely gotten thinner. I currently use a mousse, gel and SexyHair Big powder).

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

For reference here is what it looked like in March. BTW, this was a good hair day. It does not always look this full.

Thanks!

Amy

Comments (43)

• bbstx
    2 years ago

I use this on the recommendation of Dominique Sachse, a news presenter in Houston with a great YouTube channel.

Because my hair is also thinning because of genetics (thanks, MeeMaw!) I use this shampoo

For a while, I also used Rogaine. It will give your hair body...like straw has body!

amykath thanked bbstx
  • llitm
    2 years ago

I've always thought that if I begin to see thinning hair, I'd try a supplement and/or Rogaine. I've seen a youtuber show impressive before and after results with this supplement: https://www.sttropica.com/?ref=2742895.aa2e8d but there are probably many others available. (Beautiful photo, BTW!)

amykath thanked llitm
  • Related Discussions

hair product buildup cure

Q

Comments (3)
    I do a baking soda treatment every couple of weeks and the improvement is amazing! I got the idea from the recipe website I frequent, recipezaar.com. I've posted the link to the recipe below. As you can see from the 42 reviews, there are some issues (the soda can strip hair dye right out, for instance), but most people love it. Here is a link that might be useful: hair clarifier
    ...See More

Suggestions for male friend with thinning hair?

Q

Comments (15)
    i really do not think this is a medical problem. similarly i do not think that grey hair is a medical problem or wrinkles due to wear and age. even though it's not a medical problem if the person thinks it is a cosmetic problem then it is exactly that and since i dont have any good information on it, i can't tell you what i think he should do. another thing i would like to say is that i think it's ironic that people say "ooh i think bald is sexy or i dont mind what color hair". irony b/c these people often say "stop worrying about what other poeple think". both cliches bother me and i think the best way to live life is to truely not worry about what other people think unlesssss* they are someone very close to you. if you happen to be bald or thinning hair i would not and give it a second thought or even the time of day to post it on the inetnet. just my 0.02 dollars. best of luck!
    ...See More

Good product: hair thickener

Q

Comments (38)
    Okay I tried the Redken and didn't notice a difference as I always use the super star. How much do you use regularly? Perhaps I didn't use enough. Between the two the super star won. I'm going to try a larger amount tomorrow. Doing a few comparisons. I also use a root lifter spray for those who like a fuller lift. There are several on the market.
    ...See More

Hair products for short hair

Q

Comments (28)
    If you want the spiky look, then mousse would probably give you the finish you want. My hair has gotten some curl in it which tends to get unruly in the summer, so I've found "It's a 10" leave in conditioner which seems to control and add a lot of shine. I get the walmart equate version though. I figure if it's popular enough for walmart to copy it, it must be well received in general. This is me on vacation in ID, just toodling around...I also don't color my hair...never have and am delighted to not have to start...yet anyway. But short hair is wonderful. It takes me 30 sec to dry my hair and go. Last thing I want to do is complicate my life. Congrats on the new do!
    ...See More
  • bpath
    2 years ago

This in the shower,

Followed by just a dab of this:

Lately, though, I’ve been skipping the shampoo, because it is kind of hard to find in my area!

amykath thanked bpath
  • IdaClaire
    2 years ago

You are so gorgeous!

Looks like your style is mostly one length. Would some skillful layering help? I've found that a stylist who knows how to properly add layers can truly work wonders. I know you asked about products, but I think the cut is equally important.

amykath thanked IdaClaire
  • Bunny
    2 years ago

ak, your hair looks fantastic in that photo. Keep doing whatever you're doing.

bbstx, I tried the got2b mousse after watching one of Dominique's videos, but I thought the smell was terrible. I'm fussy about hair product smells and I just couldn't with that one.

amykath thanked Bunny
  • ginrummy53
    2 years ago

I wish my hair looked as thick as yours. I started using the Redken product shown above after asking here a while ago. I do think it helps, but would probably help more if I was at all capable of styling my hair. I’ve always been hopeless and preferred my pixie 5 minute blow and go cut until it thinned too much.

amykath thanked ginrummy53
  • tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Nioxin is supposed to be proven scientifically to work, IIRC. Kerastase has a spray called V.I.P (Volume in Powder) that my hairstylist used on me once. I was so impressed I bought the $40 can. Stinks and didn't use it more than twice at home. :( NYC dermatologist Shereene Idriss has a couple of recent YT videos on how rice water adds fullness to hair. One is the DIY recipe and the second is the science behind it.

(Your hair looks fab in that pic but I understand wanting to slow certain changes with the years.)

amykath thanked tartanmeup
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    2 years ago

I did a search on best shampoos/conditioner available at drugstores and this is the one I bought. I got so many random compliments after using it. The brand is Hask.

amykath thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • Sueb20
    2 years ago

On my best hair day even when I was 12, my hair wasn't as nice as yours, atk! I am in the process of growing out a short pixie (hello, why didn't I do this when I was basically housebound for a year!?) so I am following these suggestions. Also growing out bangs for the first time in about 40 years just to add extra pain to the process.

I had a sample size of Living Proof "perfect hair day" styling creme that worked pretty well but I don't think it added volume, which I do need. I have used a variety of paste type products that do add some texture to my hair but I have to be careful to use it sparingly so my hair doesn't just end up looking dirty. Not sure how well it would work for long hair, though? I like got2be sculpting paste -- just a small amount, warm it up in your hands, then just smoosh some into your hair near the roots. Mess it up a bit, then some hair spray.

amykath thanked Sueb20
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

My hair is thick, but when I was first letting my gray grow out, I had highlights to help blend the transition. I couldn't believe how much fuller they made my hair. Like seriously. I had to be careful or I had the "Betty Bouffant" look!! You might ask your hair stylist about highlights.

amykath thanked Tina Marie
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

AK - your hair looks really nice at that length. I have ridiculously fine, thin straight hair. I used to try for volume and it was a fools errand. Now I focus on making sure it’s straight and shiny.

I keep it one length because layering never rally did anything for volume and my hair doesn’t hold a curl.

Currently I‘m ignoring all this advice and am growing out bangs with scraggly hair to my waist. It hasn’t been to a professional since last July! My goal is to deal with it before the one year mark.

amykath thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • jojoco
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I swear by this brush. It adds tons of volume and it is so much easier than wrangling with a brush and hair dryer. It comes in a larger size but I find this size perfect for my length hair, which is just about the same as yours. It’s also on sale through midnight today. I just ordered another one for my daughter.

amykath thanked jojoco
  • bpath
    2 years ago

Your hair really is lovely that day! A good cut is important of course, and the blow-dry, but I find the thickening products, especially the Redken 06, help the top stay looking a little fuller, if not thicker.

amykath thanked bpath
  • Mrs. S
    2 years ago

You have really pretty hair, and I like your haircut too. Do you blow dry mainly flipping your hair over and blowing from underneath using a round brush? That really helps. I don't have any specific products, but years ago, I used to do a fine mist of hair spray on the underside before flipping my hair back over, after blow drying. Just "regular hold" hairspray, not anything that you're going to feel.

amykath thanked Mrs. S
  • localeater
    2 years ago

I have very fine straight hair. Unless it’s cut very short, I must blow dry it or I have no volume, seriously it’s like candy floss or cobwebs, it’s that fine. When I blow dry I use a volumizing spray. This one is the current one I’m usinghttps://eufora.net/products/volume-fusion-spray-1

I also love this one https://us.phyto.com/phytovolume-volumizing-blow-dry-spray.html

I’ve also used Aveda, but I switched salons and new salon isn’t Aveda. I also really like

I use the same shampoo as bbstx.

amykath thanked localeater
  • bpath
    2 years ago

Oh, I forgot about the phyto! It is great, but I found it a bit much sometimes. I think I’m not used to having thick hair lol. I think I’ll pull it out and try it today.

amykath thanked bpath
  • nutsaboutplants
    2 years ago

Ak, your hair looks gorgeous, as do you. I’ve noticed in the past that stress, at least in my case, results in hair loss. Not saying you‘re stressed or that, even if you are, in your case the same thing would happen. Just saying in addition to hair products, good rest and sleep may help too. I used rogaine for a few years when I was inordinately stressed, enough to have bald patches despite my thick hair.

perhaps you’re asking about just the thickness and body of the texture of the hair, not necessarily thinning hair, in which case, please disregard my comments.

amykath thanked nutsaboutplants
  • deegw
    2 years ago

Like localeater, if I am not careful with my products I get cotton candy hair. One thing that helps add texture is this home gloss treatment. I'm almost 100% gray and use the platinum but they have a clear as well. I buy it at Target.

I live in a dry climate and don't wash my hair every day so I have no idea how it holds up to a daily wash and style.

(also, love your picture!)

https://www.kristinesshair.com/search?q=gloss

amykath thanked deegw
  • Joaniepoanie
    2 years ago

Jojo—-did you show a picture of the brush you like? If so, I’m not seeing it for some reason.

Very fine, straight hair here and I’ve just about given up on finding tried and true product(s). Have gone back to using a curling iron on my shoulder length hair but I end up with frizzy, tangled curls. It would be so easy if only I looked good in a pony tail or bun.

amykath thanked Joaniepoanie
  • gsciencechick
    2 years ago

I think you look great, and I can relate to having a good hair day here and there. My hair is healthy over this past year due to less heat styling and no permanent color! Do you take a biotin supplement. I think that is more important for healthy hair and nails then treating with products.

I had my first blow out and style last week and it was awesome. They needed demo models for Drybar for trainees, so I got to sign up since it was in the morning. I will book again for my birthday this week. Even with the products, it was so hot and humid, my hair didn’t hold this much wave for the entire day.

Sorry if the photo is sideways.

amykath thanked gsciencechick
  • dedtired
    2 years ago

I’ve been using Redken 06 for years and never found anything liked better. My hair is straight and needs some oomph.

amykath thanked dedtired
  • amykath
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for ALL of the suggestions.

I am going to try and answer some of your questions.

1. I do highlight my hair. It is pretty dark naturally.

2. In the photo I do have layers but long layers. I probably could benefit from a better haircut.

3. I never blow dry my hair. It looks far better when I let it dry naturally.

4. I would say the thinning has been a slow process for 18 years. I need to try some vitamins for sure!

Thanks for the kind words in regards to photo. That made feel good!

I am going to purchase some of the items you guys suggested.

gscience, your hair looks gorgeous!

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Another with fine, straight hair here. No curl or body at all. I find as I have aged it helps to use shampoos without sulfates and no sodium chloride (salts). The no sodium chloride is even harder to find.

I formerly used Voluming Tonic from Aveda but began to find it made my hair sticky and like straw sometimes. So I switched to their Thickening Tonic. Just a few squirts at the crown and then I comb it in wet along with some Phomollient, which is more like a foaming mousse. It works for me and my hair looks shiny and feels good. I’ve given up on having much body in any heat and humidity. My hair is much shorter than yours, around mid-jaw length, but styled similarly. Yours looks great to me.

amykath thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Bunny
    2 years ago

I'm a sucker for hair products that promise thickness and volume. I like Aquage Uplifting Foam around the roots of my crown and then a quick upside down blow dry. It seems to give me a little lift even second or third day hair, although I prefer to wash every other day. Then sometimes I use no product and let my hair air dry and it kinda looks the same. Sigh.

amykath thanked Bunny
  • 3katz4me
    2 years ago

I used the above mentioned Redkin 06 product when I was on some medication that affected the thickness of my hair. I thought it worked well. I no longer need it but use the Matrix root lift product in the turquoise bottle so my hair isn’t too flat on top. If I turn my head upside down and dry the roots before the rest of my hair it is really fluffy but not frizzy.

• maddielee
    2 years ago

I know nothing about hair.. it’s good to see you Amy. Hope all is going well.

amykath thanked maddielee
  • jojoco
    2 years ago

Joanie, thanks for asking about the pic. Weird that it didn’t post. I’ve added it back in.

amykath thanked jojoco
  • bbstx
    2 years ago

@Bunny, I had to get up and go smell my got2b mousse. I’d never noticed it. I don’t mind it and I’m kinda funny about the smell of stuff on my hair, too. As they say, that’s what makes horse races (and when they say it, it is totally nonsensical!). 😉

amykath thanked bbstx
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I have been struggling with hair loss for years and years, and it's gotten much worse recently. The hair I do have is not colored or anything and is very healthy and shiny with good body. It's just that I have less of it all the time. If it was just loss would be one thing, but it's also that the whole crown of my scalp feels sunburned. It's not red or rashy or anything that shows, but that's how it feels. Drs. seem to have no idea or suggestions and only guess it may be related to my 2 other autoimmune disorders. For some unknown reason, I will typically get 2 mos of the year where the pain goes away and the hair actually starts to grow back...but then I'm back in the soup. I've tried adding tomatoes to my diet thinking the pain stopped in the late summer when I had fresh tomatoes, but it didn't help. In fact this whole past year, I got no reprieve at all. I have no idea if it's nutritional, hormonal, physical, autoimmune, genetic or something else. If I ever find a solution, I'll be sure to let you know.

I'm trying a number of things:

• collagen peptides added to the diet
    • sublingual B12 drops
    • Pueraria mirifica which is a plant based estrogen and has biotin
    • After that I will try saw palmetto which is supposed to suppress testosterone
    • a blend of aloe vera gel and almond oil which I put on my scalp and let it soak in for a few hours before shampooing out
    • neck stretches which in one small study seemed to help scalp pain

I have been using nioxin for years and do like how it leaves my hair and it does seem to make it look richer. And a hat is now essential for when I'm in the sun so I don't actually burn my scalp.

I hate it.

amykath thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I suspect it's an inflammatory process though as, even as a child, whenever I got a fever my hair would "hurt"...it's really the scalp, but it feels like the hair hurts. Once I had a flu with fever and the day the fever broke, my scalp stopped hurting too. In fact my entire body was free of aches...but it only lasted about 24 hrs.

amykath thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Joaniepoanie
    2 years ago

Jojoco—-thanks!

• arkansas girl
    2 years ago

Annie, could it be vitamin D deficiency? You mentioned it's better during tomato time which is summer which could mean you are outside more getting vitamin D from the sun? Just a thought. I'm pretty sure you could have your dr test for that.

• amykath
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Annie,

When I first noticed my hair was was starting to get a bit thinner I was 30. It was very minor but I focused in on it and started freaking out. My scalp literraly felt like it was on fire for nearly a year. It was terrible.

I am sorry you are going through that. It is very frustratijng I know. I hope you find some combo that works for some relief.

Again, thank you all for the suggestions. I have a ton of stuff now in Amazon cart!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

arkansas girl, thank you for your thoughts. I do take Vit D supplements in addition to a daily multi vitamin as I have been deficient in the past but am not now.

aktillery, the scalp pain is most annoying...I'm glad yours stopped. I have to say from your photo that your hair looks great and no one would know.

• ratherbesewing
    2 years ago

This Blogger (a thoughtful place) promotes liquid Collagen for her hair and nails. I don’t know know anything about it, so hoping other posters can comment.

https://athoughtfulplaceblog.com/liquid-collagen-q-a/

• cran
    2 years ago

annie, I too have scalp pain and mulitply autoimmune disorders. The pain comes and goes, but sometimes it just hurts to move my hair. I can’t figure out what triggers or what

helps it.

aktillery, your hair does look lovely, I find less is more, the more products I use the more it seems to weigh my hair down.

amykath thanked cran
  • tartanmeup
    2 years ago

IIRC, nutritional deficiencies take around 6 months to show in hair (around 3 for skin). Hair is the last place to show a nutritional deficiency so when we do supplement for skin and hair, we need to give it time to work. It's a matter of months, not weeks, before seeing results. That said, I Googled to confirm my recollection of the time spans and found this study which says certain supplements (such as selenium) actually contribute to hair loss and combinations of certain vitamins are contraindicated. So. Not simple. Quote bolded below about Vit A.

Vitamin A

"While deficiency has not been linked to hair loss, high levels of vitamin A have. In fact, one study found that in a mouse AA model, reduction of vitamin A in the diet actually delayed hair loss onset [56].

In humans, hypervitaminosis A may result from over-supplementation and has a strong known link to hair loss with other effects such as skin, vision, and bone changes [4,8]."

This study does say research in humans is lacking.

Have we mentioned Philip Kingsley products yet? He was a "trichologist", a hair and scalp specialist and apparently, he developed a lot of effective hair products. They're pricey things. The NYC and London clinics offer 2-hour consultations. They also offer virtual consultations.

As for burning scalp (dysesthesia?), a lot of unknown about that as well. My advice is keep being your own detective. Be observant and open-minded (but not so much your brains fall out? :)). A food and mood journal for a few months might offer valuable clues. (I discovered the cause and simple solution for my own "nothing we can do medically, here are some antidepressants" chronic health issue so I'll always vouch for this approach. We know ourselves best, in some ways.)

Last bit of advice: start with easiest, least invasive change or product first and give it time to work before trying a second. (That said, make sure your thyroid levels are checked - the complete panel, not just the TSH levels!)

amykath thanked tartanmeup
  • straitlover
    2 years ago

I use SexyHair Root Pump and SexyHair Big Blow Dry Volumizing Gel, but they need heat to really work, so if you don't blow dry they won't work well. I do use the powder occasionally when I'm overdue for a cut (my hair is short, so I stretch out cuts as long as I can).

amykath thanked straitlover
  • amykath
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So, I have ordered Got2B Fat-tastic mousse, Bio Silk Therapy Shampoo and Redkin Thickening lotion.

I will report back regarding my thoughts and reviews.

Thanks for all of the suggestion!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Thanks tartan, I do get my thyroid checked regularly and it's been normal and stable for years now on the current supplements I take.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Late to this but just today saw this in the Martha Stewart newsletter - supplements to help promote hair growth:

https://www.marthastewart.com/8072615/best-vitamins-supplements-hair-growth

And this - styles for thinning hair:

https://www.marthastewart.com/8092511/safe-hairstyles-thinning-hair

And I do agree that there are lots of webpages with ideas for cuts that work best with fine hair. I have fine hair too and have found most products I've tried that claim to thicken don't do much more than coat my hair and make it dull and frizzy looking and more prone to breakage.

I've stayed away from any permanent coloring for years now, because no matter how good my hair seems to look at first, it tends to become more brittle and dull over time. Lightening hair damages the cuticle, I believe, so for thinning hair, I don't think that would help.

P.S. Your hair and you look very pretty in that photo, Aktillery 🙂

amykath thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b