SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
amybabyboy3

June Simply Pink Fotess Exchange

amybabyboy3
25 days ago
last modified: 25 days ago

You must be a member of this group Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps (FOTESS) in order to participate. If you are interested in joining, check with Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) about the requirements.

This month we are going to Celebrate National Pink Day which I found out is June 23.

For this swap we are going to send our partner a pink package. The package can be colored, decorated with stickers or however you like to make it pink.

Please send :

1. one packet of pink seeds ( Something that has pink flowers, pink fruit, pink leaves etc.)

2. pink edible treat ( this can be any pink edible treat for your pal)

3. Something pink that is garden related. This can be homemade or purchased. The possibilities are endless so do what makes you happy to create or purchase.

4. A small pink card, handmade or purchased

This is a simple swap so please think fun and easy. Please sign up by June 5th and we will send out by June 21. Thank you and hope you can join in on the fun!

My Flowers · More Info

Comments (58)

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

Urooj, Thank you for catching the duplicate word.

• sandlapper_rose
    21 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

Oh my, I thought I wouldn't sign up for anything this month because of all I have going on, but I can't resist this one. Please sign me up! I'll send my Bingo words in a few minutes.

Ladies, my daughters had come to SC for a few days and we went to Mepkin Abbey and laid my husband to rest there. His remaining brother had flown down from New York so it was small in number, but large in love. I had been there before but the rest of the family had not. They also found it to be a beautiful and serene place. To me, I could not imagine a more perfect location to be at rest.

From there we went to the area in NC where my younger daughter lives and two very full days of looking at houses. There were 4 I liked well enough to buy, but the houses are selling in hours and I didn't place an offer at all on the first day while getting a feel for the area and what was available. After that, those I considered were no longer on the market so now I work on viewing from at home instead of in person. What a crazy time!

amybabyboy3 thanked sandlapper_rose
  • Related Discussions

new: april - fotess activity

Q

Comments (150)
    Great pictures and great maps! Heidi, don't worry - unlike algebra - there won't be a test on the maps. We appreciate you doing them. It's making the month a lot more fun and you have a new addition to the maps with the GardenWeb names included on them. Love it! It seems I have lots of appointments scheduled this week so sorry if I don't drop in soon after you post. Today one of the garden groups that I belong to had a meeting and luncheon out of town so between the meeting, lunch, and travel - lots of my day was gone... not to mention I did a bit of snoozing in front of the TV when I got home! Lunch was so delicious though - it was worth the drive. Our speaker talked about roses and when I got home I walked around to check on my plants ... and yes, I had my first rose blossom of the year! Jeanne
    ...See More

2nd Annual FOTESS Yard Sale!

Q

Comments (106)
    Melinda, so sorry to hear about your poor health but I sure hope you are on the mend soon. I am encouraged to see that you feel ok enough to post on GW!! Thoughts of good health are headed your way! Margo, so sorry to hear about your friend Mona being diagnosed with cancer. I hope everything turns out for the best. It's amazing how much things like this impact us all. I'm trying to narrow down choices for the yard sale. It's hard!! Shirley, As requested: my pet robin. As of this week, baby robin has finally become independent. Yesterday was the first day s/he didn't answer me when I called, which means the robin raising was a success!
    ...See More

Feb FOTESS - Sowing The Seeds Of Love

Q

Comments (180)
    Well, if all goes like this - I'll have enough water this summer (yippee yahoo!!!!). Just have to keep my fingers crossed the power lasts through the storm, so if you don't see me for a few days, no worries! I'm halfway from Murphys downtown to Forest Meadows, above 2,600ft, so my snow should be reasonable. Our Bear Valley ski area might get 7ft just from this storm. Happy dance even if it means I freeze without power and miss my internet connections as phone and satellite often poop out. Batteries out, check, extra water filled in jugs and pitchers, check (no power = no well = no water), food run yesterday, 2 cases of bottled water, hummingbird feeders full to the brim (this will be really hard on them).
    ...See More

FOTESS MAY: "A GARDEN IN THE KITCHEN...KIND OF"

Q

Comments (157)
    Jayeanne....DING...DING....DING....you got it and you WIN!! Congrats!! Ok girls, that is wrapppppppppp for the month of May. Thanks all for playing!!!! I will work on prizes for all of you winners....soon! I will attempt to remember to post after I send prizes out!! Jeanne has posted a cool FOTESS swap for JUNE.....simple too!! Check it out!! Happy Friday....Happy weekend!! Annie
    ...See More
  • amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Jeanne, I am glad that you have your family to help you with all the decisions that you have and hope you find the perfect place. Family is so important and it is wonderful that you are surrounded with all their love.

Thank you for joining in our Pink fun!!

• Melinda Hagen
    21 days ago

Yes Jeanne so sorry to hear of this! Saw the pictures of your husband's resting place and is lovely!! I too am glad you have family to help! My prayers are with you!

• brittneysgran
    21 days ago

Jeanne my thoughts and prayers are with you. Is the housing market not crazy. Hope you find the perfect home.

I am going to join this month and hope I can drop in during the month.

amybabyboy3 thanked brittneysgran
  • amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Shirley, Glad to have you join in!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    20 days ago

So far this month joining in are:

Melinda

Urooj

Jeanne

Shirley

Amy

There is still time if any one wants to join this month!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Today is the last day to sign up and Bingo starts tomorrow! Enjoy your day!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

National Pink Day is observed on June 23 every year. This day is a celebration of the color pink and everything it represents, such as femininity, softness, childhood, and the romantic.

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Partners are Below:

Melinda sends to Urooj

Shirley sends to Jeanne

Jeanne sends to Shirley

Amy sends to Melinda

Urooj sends to Amy

If anyone else wants to play bingo I will start pulling words tomorrow as I only have words from Melinda and Jeanne so I will wait another day if anyone wants to join.

• Melinda Hagen
    17 days ago

Thanks for partners!!

amybabyboy3 thanked Melinda Hagen
  • amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    17 days ago

A little game:

. Which of the following pink animals exist in real life?

pink dolphins

pink elephants

pink fairy armadillos

all of these

"Pinks" are flowering perennials. What other plant, usually grown only in greenhouses, is a very close relative?

Roses

Carnations

Azaleas

Fuschias

What company awards a pink vehicle to its top directors/producers?

Mary Kay

Elizabeth Arden

Mary Quant

Avon

Please message me your answers by midnight. I will post next questions tomorrow.

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Bingo words:

taffy

ruby

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Melinda Great Job! +3 points

. Which of the following pink animals exist in real life?

pink dolphins

pink elephants

pink fairy armadillos

The answer is all of these!!!!

"Pinks" are flowering perennials. What other plant, usually grown only in greenhouses, is a very close relative?

Carnations is the correct answer!!!

What company awards a pink vehicle to its top directors/producers?

Mary Kay!!!!

Today's Bingo words:

Fuchsia

Punch

Next questions for 3 points

In the 1920's and 1940's, the pink color was considered appropriate for this group of people, but later it became popular with others too.

Babies
    Young women
    High-class people
    Boys

To what Galapagos island is the Galapagos Pink Land Iguana native?

Pinta Island
    Genovesa Island
    Marchena Island
    Isabela Island

In what country is a cake called Pink Panther very popular?

France
    Spain
    Canada
    Switzerland

Please message me your answers by midnight.

• jdmom78
    16 days ago

Submitted my answers. i don't know the answers to the last 2 but i think the color pink was popular among high class people, hence the pink bathrooms in a lot of the houses.

thanks for sending partners!

we were in chicago for the weekend for graduation parties and visits and today has been recovery and laundry day! making plans for the summer, we have 1 in soccer camp, 1 going to religious camp, 1 getting ready to go to college, and 1 in year round school. schedules are pretty much the same as during the school year.

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Urooj, You sure sound like you are busy! Hope your Summer is wonderful!

You have one question correct YAY 1 point.

To what Galapagos island is the Galapagos Pink Land Iguana native?

Isabela Island

I will leave up the other two questions until midnight tonight if you want to guess again and message me your answers.

My husband and I are having two of our boys visit thru Sunday and we are going out of town for a couple days for our anniversary after they leave but I will try to keep posting bingo etc.

Melinda 3 points

Urooj 1 point

Todays Bingo words:

ballet slipper

flamingo

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    15 days ago

In the 1920's and 1940's, the pink color was considered appropriate for this group of people, but later it became popular with others too.

Babies
    Young women
    High-class people
    Boys

France
    Spain
    Canada
    Switzerland

Bonus 5 points if you can find and post on here a tasty recipe in English for the Pink panther cake.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    15 days ago

Am I too late to join the swap? I'd like to toss my pink hat in the ring! Heidi

Ingredients
    12 servings150 grams Self Raising Flour
    150 grams Caster Sugar
    150 grams Unsalted Butter
    3 eggs
    180 grams Icing Sugar
    90 grams unsalted butter
    4 tbsp Strawberry Jam
    1 kg white fondant icing
    vanilla extract
    1 red/yellow/black writing icing

Steps

Preheat oven to 180c
    Mix 150g of softened butter with the caster Sugar until combined. Whisk the eggs and gradually mix in also.
    Sift the flour slowly into the mixture and mix until there are no lumps.
    Grease 2 cake tins and pour mixture evenly into both.
    Bake in the oven for 20 mins or until the top is springy and light golden brown.
    Leave to cool completely on a rack.
    For the buttercream filling, mix the 90g of butter and gradually add the sifted icing sugar and a little vanilla extract until it is a spreadable consistency
    Level off the cakes if needed and spread the jam on the bottom of one cake and the buttercream on the other. Sandwich together.
    For the decoration, Roll out the white fondant icing so it is big enough to cover cake. Spread a little jam over the sides and top of cake. Place the icing over and Smooth out any bumps.
    Separate the leftover icing into two pieces and add small amounts of the red food gel until you get the desired shade of pink. One piece. needs to be darker than the other
    I printed a picture from the Internet and cut out each piece of the face and used as a template to cut the icing.
    Once all pieces are cut add them to the top of cake, making sure to follow the picture.
    Use the yellow, red, and black writing icing to make the eyes, nose and eyebrows etc.

It's English, but it's not American measurements!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Heidi, You are welcome to join games. We are already matched up with partners but if you rereally want to join i can try and rearrange. Let me know your thoughts.

Heidi 5 points

Can anyone find a different English version of the pink pantherr cake from Spain for 5 points?

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Boys

Spain

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    14 days ago

bingo:

carnation

coral

• Melinda Hagen
    13 days ago

Urooj, your package is on it's way! Enjoy!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Bingo words:

rosewood

french rose

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Please message me your answers by midnight tomorrow if you would like to guess.

1 point for each correct answer

In which South American country is the presidential palace known as the Pink House?

Which pink mayonnaise-based salad dressing is flavoured with tomatoes and green peppers?

What do you add to gin in order to get a pink gin?

Which pink flower is classically used to identify a stranger during a clandestine rendezvous

Melinda 3 points

Urooj 1 point

Heidi 5 points

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    12 days ago

1. Argentina
    2. Thousand island
    3. Pomegranate and chinchona bark
    4. Carnation

4 points for Melinda!

Your answer for 3 seems correct but I also read that this is what they use to make gin pink- Angostura Bitters

Bingo words for today are:

pink and crepe

I am going out of town in the morning so I will post bingo words again when I get back.Take care, Amy

• jdmom78
    10 days ago

got the best package from Melinda today. It is really really pink. Love all the items. towel, oven mit, seeds, jello, amd garden decor. love the pretty card and special note! thank you Melinda!

I think I have mentioned before, I havent planted anything this year. its so hot in texas this week that there is a heat advisory in effect.

Sending my package out this week!

amybabyboy3 thanked jdmom78
  • sandlapper_rose
    9 days ago

I finally got a few daylily pictures once we had some sunshine. Enjoy!

amybabyboy3 thanked sandlapper_rose
  • Melinda Hagen
    9 days ago

Lovely daylilies!! Glad you liked the package, Urooj! Had fun doing it!

Hope everyone is having a great day!!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Melinda that is a great package!

Jeanne, Beautiful flowers!

Ok, bingo continues:

amaranth

bubblegum

I am working tomorrow but will be wrapping up my package soon.

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Bingo words

rouge

rose

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    6 days ago

bingo words for today and yesterday:

watermelon

magenta

baby pink

hot pink

• sandlapper_rose
    6 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

I should be able to mail my package to Shirley on Monday. I'll post then so you'll know for sure. Some may remember I bought an african violet once before "to rescue it" - did that again on Wed. The first one is still doing well for me so I'll try again. My past history with african violets was not successful until that one. The one I just rescued I found at Walmart (hadn't been in a Walmart in well over a year). Someone had watered it to the max and it had clear plastic wrapped snuggly around it and fastened so that water wasn't able to drain away at all. Lots of broken leaves and stems. I let it sit out of the pot overnight and it was still soaking wet so I removed as much as I could of the soil, removed the broken leaves and stems and put it in dry soil mixed with perlite. So far it seems to be making a recovery. Neither of these plants was on sale - they just had beautiful blossoms and I knew they weren't going to make it unless their conditions were changed for the better. Hopefully this one will reward me and stay alive also.

• jdmom78
    5 days ago

my package is coming together but i wasnt able to get to the post office... these guys are to blame!

we signed up to foster kittens and picked them up yesterday. we are just foster sitting for now so they go back on Tuesday. Allergies are really bad so I'm not sure if we will be able to do it again.

how is everyones garden doing with the heat this season? i didnt plant anything yet. my local plant group is doing well. the mosque has a community garden this year that is also doing very well. i dont know how they habe okra growing on such short stems with one leaf. mine ways need to become 5 feet tall to grow any fruit.

great job on the rescue jeanne. i am sure it will make it!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    5 days ago

Jeanne, Hope your violet does well!

I am having a hard time posting on houzz today.

Urooj, The kittens are adorable.

Bingo word: salmon

Worked today and driving half way to Georgia and back tomorrow to get my grandson for the summer! Yay! I will be mailing next week. Take care every one!

• brittneysgran
    5 days ago

Jeanne will be mailing your pkg. Monday.

• sandlapper_rose
    4 days ago

Shirley, I got your package mailed yesterday. With the limited hours on Saturdays I didn't know if I would make it in time, but I did.

• jdmom78
    3 days ago

Amy, my package has shipped woohooo. i dont know why it would take so long but the expected delivery is friday, a whole week! hope you get it by the weekend...

I went to visit my neighbor and she took me to the back to show me her garden and patio. wow it was so nice. she also made a pergola and extended it over the grassy area. it was just beautiful. we also looked at her plants but most are being eaten by bunny rabbits these day. we seriously have more bunnies than people in the subdivision!

some neighbors are getting estimates for pools... i doubt we have the space but i went ahead and addedy name to the list. lets see what they say....

• sandlapper_rose
    3 days ago

As you know I'm trying to decide whether to move and if I do it will be out of state. I know some in the group must live somewhere that has an HOA. They really concern me about what might be allowed in terms of gardening. Can I put out a birdbath or the American flag, plant flowers, put my little decorative items that I like in the garden, etc.? I know each place has different rules. I just read one set of rules that is over 20 pages long. The rules seem so strict that my gardening days will not be so great if all of those things are enforced. Everything seems to require that you go through some kind of committee for approval and if they don't approve it you don't get to do that. (Feel free to message me rather than post here if you rather do that.)

I've never lived anywhere with an HOA and had no idea the rules were so extensive. I'm used to doing exactly as I please for any planting and garden decor.

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Bingo: Blush

Jeanne, I have never lived in a strict HOA community. In Georgia we has a voluntary HOA but nothing really strict. My brothers both have a HOA and have to get permission for a lot like planting, painting etc. I hope you can find one that is not too strict for you.

Urooj, I will let you know when the package arrives.

Melinda, Your package is going out tomorrow. Hope you enjoy! Amy

• jdmom78
    3 days ago

Jeanne, we have an HOA. i think we have three. they do help keep the subdivision looking nice and uniform but some things make no sense. do you remember when i had my chip drop? well i received a citation right away, within a day. i had to get it cleared in a 2 week time frame i think. they also cited me for having a basketball hoop for my son in my driveway. BUT they don't cite you if you have too many cars and clutter the road.

they request you pre-approve everything but most of us follow the out of sight/out of mind rule. i had a retaining wall done on the landscaping, did not ask for permission, did not receive a citation for that. we don't have trash cans on garbage day in our area so there is litter everywhere but no citations for that. seriously, some HOAs are just ridiculous! oh another one i remembered... they made people remove the standard green landscaping edging. so your option was retaining wall or nothing... I have heard that we are not allowed to plant fruit trees in our neighborhood, but almost every house has an apple/pear/peach/fig or ALL of them.

that being said, we have a new neighbor who put a bright red seesaw in her front lawn. OMG i am waiting for her to post on our neighborhood chat group once she gets a citation.

• brittneysgran
    2 days ago

Jeanne received your pkg...will post about it tomorrow

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    yesterday

Bingo word : peach

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    yesterday

Melinda 7 points

Urooj 1 point

Heidi 5 points

winner from the first game was Melinda

• Melinda Hagen
    yesterday

Bingo!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    yesterday

Congratulations Belinda! I will get prizes sent out

• sandlapper_rose
    yesterday

Congratulations on Bingo, Melinda.

I received my package from Shirley today. I'll post about it tomorrow. Everything arrived in great shape. My mail comes so late in the day that's it's close to dark by the time I can bring it in. No rain today so I managed to mow the lawn and put out ant killer/repellent. I kept meaning to do that last year and never got around to it. Those who know about fire ants know we don't want them in our yard.

• brittneysgran
    yesterday

Love my pink pkg from Jeanne. I forgot the seeds were not in the picture but I snatched them and headed outside to get them planted. Jeanne sent Zinnia Mazirka, Deep pink 4 o' clocks and Pinkish Purple Echinecia. Can't wait to see all these blooms. Thank you so very much.

Congrats Melinda on your Bingo win.

• sandlapper_rose
    12 hours ago

Glad you enjoyed your package, Shirley.

Here's the lovely package Shirley sent to me. Thanks so much, Shirley.

I was very excited to see the plants. I know it has been awhile since I got actual plants in the mail and I've never had Astilbe before and this one is pink and even had blossoms on it. The pink Crinum is fantastic, too. I have a Crinum or two planted in my garden but they've never bloomed so I don't remember what color they are supposed to be. I did move them to a different location this year with more sun so maybe that will help. Seeds: Cleome 'Rose Queen' and Snapdragon 'Apple Blossom', the note card has a butterfly on a pink flower, and then there's a calendar and pen, a pink butterfly, Mentos and Hubba Bubba Bubble Tape. What a fun package.

• sandlapper_rose
    12 hours ago

We don't have anyone signed up as hostess for July. I made note of it under the sign up heading, but you may not have seen it. Also, Aug. and Sept. are in need of a hostess. I'm hoping someone can sign up for those. I do have a very simple idea for July so if no one signs up for it, I'll post my simple idea by July 1. These months are flying by!