SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Aloe plant kinda floppy

I'm not sure how to describe this one, other than that the leaves (stems?) are big and heavy to the point that they flop down instead of stand and look healthy. A picture's worth 1,000 words, so...

I have it in a South-facing window. Over the winter I had it slightly way from the window so that it didn't get burnt from the cold glass, but now that it's warmer I slid it over so that it's directly in the window. I rotate all of my houseplants every few weeks so that they get sunlight all around.

I water it on the first of each month. I used to water it every 2-3 weeks but it was too much. The pot is ceramic and the saucer at the bottom is attached. I water it by sitting it in the kitchen sink and then slowly add cold water from the tap to the soil until it overflows the saucer, 3 or 4 times so that it's nice and wet. I let it sit in the sink overnight, then I pour out anything in the saucer and bring it back to the window.

I've had to cut off some of the lower stems that were creased and dying, but I haven't seen any new growth from the bottom... just the middle. Which is fine, but as it continues the bottom is going to start to look like a weird tree! LOL

I have another type of aloe in another South-facing window that's much smaller. It has the same sun and watering schedule, but it's a lot more firm.

Any suggestions on how to make these heavy stems stand up and pay attention? Or is this how this variety is supposed to look?

Comments (3)