SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_51874009

two story living room vs vaulted living room

Debra Polanco
2 years ago

We’re in the process of building a new home and our vision for this house was to have a two story living room. We love the idea of all the light pouring in and the fact that it makes the room feel larger and grander. We also would get amazing sunset views from that room. However, we’re beginning to second guess our decision to do this. My architect was never really a fan of it from the beginning and our interior designer said she also personally prefers the look and feel of a vaulted living room. Besides worrying about regulating the heat and air, we’re worried about the overall feel of the room. Will it lose its coziness/ comfort factor with 20ft ceilings? The ceiling height throughout the rest of the house will be 9ft. I’ve attached our 1st floor plans to give you a better idea of the setup.

Those of you that have two story living rooms what are your thoughts. Pros vs cons?

The builder said he could do a vaulted with a two story feel (pictured below is his sample).

Comments (23)

• Debra Polanco
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! We have three young children as well. I and Definitely worried about the noise being a problem while they’re sleeping!

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We've seen a lot of folks come to Houzz for input regarding closing the upper part of two story rooms. HVAC expense is only going to increase in the future, so there's a consideration. If you're heating and cooling empty space it makes little sense. We've also had lots of inquiries about how to deal with the echo in the room itself and how to insulate for the sound floating to the other rooms, especially if there were bedrooms on a second floor. Personally, I'd stick with 9-10' ceilings throughout the home for many reasons. Can't your architect orient your major windows to the south?

• dan1888
    2 years ago

Our room is 28x40' with 10' ceiling. The kitchen end drops to 8'6". That space seems plenty spacious. We've not thought about needing more height.

• Caroline Hamilton
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We have a two story foyer, family room and bonus room. Love them all. All three rooms have lots of drama. People literally gasp when they walk into our family room because of the 20 foot ceiling and we have drapes that hang the full length. We've never had a noise issue but we only have one child.

• lisaam
    2 years ago

Before you finalize architecture, perhaps investigate the cost of appropriate window treatment. West sun exposure can be brutal on humans and furnishings. A carefully designed home can be fabulous without being extra large.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Your "Family (Cathedral) 21'-0" x 21'-11" " looks smaller than your "Entry 11'-6" x 25'-3" " and does not look as square as the dimensions suggest; something is wrong. Has construction started?

• Debra Polanco
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mark, this is a modular build. This is the rough draft of plans. Phase 1 rendering.

• G W
    2 years ago

We have beautiful sunset views too, but have to keep heavy drapes closed all afternoon and just open them in time for the sunset- the sun heats the house up like a sauna. So glad I only have to deal with single story windows. If you don't have good tree cover or some other source of shade, I would strongly recommend against two story, or indeed any windows above your reach. Might look pretty, but be miserable to live with.

• G W
    2 years ago

And that's in Michigan. Even on a sunny winter day. Hate to have this situation in the south.

• Debra Polanco
    Original Author
    2 years ago

G W... all really good valid points! We have to consider this. We’re in NY but I know it could definitely get hot if we don’t have the proper coverage. We do have trees in our yard so it’s not completely open.

• fissfiss
    2 years ago

Humans still have primitive brain wiring....people don’t really like sitting under a really high ceiling, they feel exposed. We like tall ceilings, but not two story ceilings p, at our house.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    2 years ago

Have to disagree with everyone here. We have a two story living room on the west side of our house and love it. It is dramatic and light-filled and lifts our spirits. Yes, the sun pours in late afternoon and it gets hot, but a suspended ceiling fan helps to move the air around. Our previous house had a vaulted living/dining space and we loved that too. Having all the ceilings in the house the same height is deadly to delight. Boring too.

• Caroline Hamilton
    2 years ago

Honestly never had a heat issue with our 2 story family room and there are 8 windows plus skylights. We live in a wooded area though.

• haylo33
    2 years ago

We are building currently and went with a 2 story living room. I think I would have been ok with a vaulted ceilings, but the 2 story fit better with our floor plan plus I think it just has the wow factor. We only have a small balcony open to the second story so noise shouldn’t be too bad.

• petula67
    2 years ago

We recently bought a house with a 2-story living room. Our furniture looks dwarfed against the tall walls. So does all of our artwork. The room feels like a tube because it's taller than it is wide. Sound does funny things in there. The sun shoots in from the high window and hits me in the eye wherever I sit. We've already spent mucho $$s on motorized shades and UV window film, but will soon be adding drapes. It's a striking room, and all of its issues could likely be solved by a pro, but I'd trade it for a vaulted ceiling in a heartbeat.

• David Cary
    2 years ago

I've built both, lived in both for many years.

Avoiding 2 story is my preference from the sound issue and temperature stratification -always. From design and window covering - usually.

From cost and HVAC - sometimes.

Obviously people have different priorities but impressing other people stopped being on my list a while ago.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

If you're going with a two-story space, figure in the cost of a good ladder so you can change light fixture bulbs, change batteries in smoke alarms that start beeping at three in the morning, and do the window washing. Also make sure your medical plan is current.

• plf12652
    2 years ago

Do you plan to have a tv in this room....because if so there will be glare from the light. I had a 2 story LR and came to dislike it for ALL the reasons listed above!

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    2 years ago

Well, I can think of many designs that are far worse. There are practical solutions to all the problems listed. Like, use windows that are seriously UV resistant. And/or use electronic shades. Don't hang light fixtures from the high ceiling, use wall sconces instead. Plant deciduous trees on the west side of the house. Etc, etc, etc.

I stand by my comments above. Nothing is more delightful and lifts your spirit like a high ceiling. Virtually every strong house design has a high ceiling somewhere in it.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

A high ceiling doesn't have to mean having a 2-story space. A 12-foot flat ceiling or a cathedral ceiling, for example, can provide a sense of airiness and expansiveness without being overwhelming.

• homechef59
    2 years ago

I've got one these right now. It's a beautiful space, but temperature regulation is an issue. Watching TV is an issue, too. The sound is lost in the room and we have to turn the volume up quite a bit to hear.

As a retired appraiser, it makes more financial sense to floor the second story portion. While not a wow factor choice, it increases your useable square footage and will result in a corresponding increase in valuation.

The point is, there are a lot more factors involved and unintended results of the decision to go with a 2-story high space.

• haylo33
    2 years ago

in regards to the sound issue, we knew RBI’s would be an issue so we bought wall speakers and had the wiring done with the electric so the sound comes from the wall behind the couch, not the TV.