SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

2003 Murray riding mower, something's up with the gas intake

I bought this Murray riding mower in 2003, model # 309029x92:

https://www.cpsc.gov/~/link/c6e10892c2c64a51945fcc09cd13bea7.jpg

Over the years I've more or less had the whole thing stripped to nothing and replaced everything except for body parts on it, so I know it pretty well inside and out :-)

For years, if I tried to start it with the throttle all the way up (to the notched position) it would flood super easy, so I always had to have it at about halfway. Then when it starts, I'd have to push it up to the notched position to keep it running.

Last Fall I did some maintenance; I replaced the battery, changed the oil, fuel filter, hoses, air filter, took apart the carburetor and cleaned it, etc.

And now I've discovered that, to get it to start, I have to have the throttle all the way DOWN. Then as soon as it fires, I have to push it up to the notched position before it goes dead. After that it runs fine with the throttle in the notched position; no backfires or anything like that.

That makes me suspect that it's leaking fuel in to the carburetor when it's off, so that it's more or less flooded from the get-go.

The DIYer in me wants me to just stick a shut-off valve on the fuel line and flip it off when I'm done. But before I do that, can you suggest what might actually be wrong that I could/should fix instead?

Comments (5)