SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christina_storm46

Need advice on what product to use to stain cedar siding

Christina Storm
2 years ago

A little over 20 years ago I had my home in Seattle, WA, re-sided with cedar shingles that were dipped in oil-based stain by Cabot, in a semi-solid color called "spruce blue". Since then, I had it hand-brushed twice since then (every 7 years), one coat, with the same product. As a result, the house got a lot more blue than it was initially. I kinda liked it better when a bit of the cedar wood was still visible and the color didn't look so solid. I'll attach a photo of "back then" and "now". Advice I would like: It's time to give it another coat, and I am trying to figure out what product to use. I don't just want another coat of the same as it would even more so look like a solid color blue then.

One paint store suggested using a clear product like Daly's Ship'n Shore sealer. They said it wouldn't do as much UV protection as a new coat with pigment would achieve, but it would protect the wood.

Another paint store (and also my painter) suggested to just go with a different color and lay a semi-transparent coat over this one. I have plenty of extra shingles that I could use as samples to try things out. Before I do that, what is your advice?

1. What clear coat product would you recommend if I go that route?
  2. If I do choose a pigmented stain, what color should I try to get somewhat closer to the original look (if that is even possible)?

I realize I could have this stripped and restarted, but that's not what I want to do. The blue color is just fine, I just don't want it to pop even more with another fresh coat of the same.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Here's a photo from when the siding was first installed and it just had one light coat of the semi-solid stain in spruce blue on it:

And here is what it looks like today after the two coats of stain were applied in the last years:

Comments (6)