SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
likestonehomes

Quarry, Green water is it natural or algae?

likestonehomes
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

First time poster here, last year we Purchased our home with a very very old quarry. it is abt 8’ deep, 1/4 acre, 400,000 gallons of water. The water is green, when Put into a large cup water is clear, there is algae on rocks below water surface but nothing floating in the water. However, There is a light film along the edge.

I have been treating with Aquaritin‘s Natural beneficial bacteria, muck away, phosphate reducer. Last year, I tried Nualgi as well, but the water remains green. We cannot scrape the algae from the stones entirely as it is too deep and not easily accessible. We also installed aerators, we are trying to get rid of plants close to the water’s edge, but again, not easily accessible. We do not want to use chemicals.

We have goldfish, frogs and 1 turtle, tho there were 3 last year. Sadly, I don’t know what happened to the other 2. The critters were all here when we bought the place and they survived our very cold -30c winters.

Does anyone know if the green colour is natural due to the limestone? If this is algae, any further ideas to clean it up? We are Located in Ontario, Canada. Thank you for all your thoughts and advice!

Comment