SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barmaleyka

Strawberry propagation

barmaleyka
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi All,

I gave up on my attempts to get Japanese strawberries and settle on Mara Des Boir and Charlotte varieties. Both bare root seedlings should arrive today. I called Nourse - the company which I bought them from and I found an excellent technical support service there over the phone. Many things are clear now but two problems still bother me.

1. I was told that my plants will produce the most in the first year and then they will produce less and less. If I get runners they still will produce less and if I propagate through runners in several years the current population will degrade and finally will diminish production substantially. Since it is a hybrid I can not grow from seeds of my strawberry to get the same plants. The only solution is to buy every year bare root plants from them. It there any practical way to propagate this strawberry from year to year in the garden?

2. I got a lot of a compost. It is a mix of horse manure, wood dust and straw and it is 3 years old, looks completely composted. The farmer suggested to grow strawberry directly into the compost. I grow in pots and Nourse strongly advice against using the compost in pots and suggest using only the potting mix which is soilless. Why compost is good for outdoor garden and not good for pots? If I use large and deep pots - can it replicate soil in a garden?

Thank you in advance,

Comments (8)