SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annemoldovan28

Copper Bronze Hood - Amazing or Too Big?

annemoldovan28
2 years ago

We are remodeling our Tudor and have selected a custom copper sloped hood in oil-rubbed bronze. Our range is a 36" Viking 7 Series and we are leaving 2.5 inches of space on either side of the hood so it's not smashed against the cabinets. The recommended dimensions are 42 width x 27 length x 24 depth. I'm nervous the hood will look giant on my kitchen wall given our ceilings are only 8 feet and the range size. Should I go with less depth (22 or 23 inches)? The fridge and appliance garage are 24-25" so is 24" depth right for symmetry sake? Thanks!

Also, given the drama hood I'm thinking simple glass pendant lights over the island in brass and bronze. Suggestions welcome here too!

Comments (48)

• Aglitter
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Everything you are doing dimensionally sounds good. You could leave more than 2.5" ease on each side of the hood if you wished. The concern you have about overpowering the space may be more related to color balance than anything else. If all your cabinetry is white, the copper may seem top heavy, but it is up to your preference. Natural wood is making a comeback in kitchen design, so incorporating more wood or other colors into your scheme might help balance out the color of the hood.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Agree. I am leaning toward Revere Pewter cabinets for the perimeter walls, and the island will be natural white oak. I’ve thought about reversing - oak perimeter with painted island. Open to everyone’s thoughts before I finalize! FYI this kitchen is part of a great room that has bronze metal details in the beamed ceiling and fireplace.

• Related Discussions

Amazing deal on hood, but mesh filters. Should I?

Q

Comments (12)
    Actually at this point I can't remember why baffles are better!! I think something about the air uptake being more efficient?? Plus they look snazzy ;) My range calls for minimum 600 CFM, which this one has, and that's if all 15k burners were on high all at once, so the air uptake issue is probably not such a big deal. I'm silly not to buy this, huh? My mind is just so boggled with other details at the moment I am having a hard time thinking straight. I had a dead mouse fall on my head today when I was pulling down ceiling tiles. And I'm trying to figure out structural details before I meet with the carpenter in an hour. Ugh. It is a great deal, huh? Sigh.
    ...See More

Anyone with a copper range hood?

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you, Monkeymo! Sayde, I will check email in a minute, but I don't mind posting info here. Have before. I've linked pictures below. I used a VAH liner. 48" range. Liner was that or close. I don't recall exact length. The first photo shows location before hood was started. DH and I recessed the medallion into the wall. The second photo shows the liner installed in the wooden frame. Liner was attached to wall first, and top vent section (metal triangle looking piece) attached on top. 3 sided hood frame was built in their shop, attached to wall/liner, then covered with pine trim on top and bottom edges. This picture shows plywood piece cut/installed on each side. Front was next (no photo of that). 3rd photo - front shot of the above. 4th photo - right after we moved in. So shiny! lol Did not have time to give patina - easy to do by leaving copper outside for a couple of days and dousing with bucket of water. Let dry. Repeat numerous times until you get the look you want. Lay flat, if you tilt you will have streaks. I did spray with water a few times, but hard to reach top and I didn't want to spray paint/wall. Most recent picture is on Atticmag. Still shiny, but not as much. Is not sealed with anything. Most any carpenter should be able to build. Basic skills, with the exception of making trim - have to have the right tool/bits. Let me know if you have any questions. Here is a link that might be useful: hood photos
    ...See More

Copper for my hood?

Q

Comments (5)
    I had a beautiful copper hood in a medium patina in my old traditional light yellow kitchen with dark wood floors. I think it would be just as beautiful in a transitional kitchen. The only thing to consider IMO is whether you like the look of copper with stainless appliances and whatever finish you have on your cabinet hardware. I did antiqued stainless hardware that was nearly black and then the stainless stove and stainless handle on the fridge. I was thinking about doing a zinc hood in my current kitchen to better match all the stainless stuff, but couldn't get my act together. If you can find a place that will do a copper veneer, I think it will be stunning.
    ...See More

Where to sell a vintage kitchen copper range hood

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! It'such an unusual piece, needs a big kitchen! Deedles: We are totally changing the kitchen design to more a Traditional/touch of contemporary feel. The original kitchen was finally showing its age, and being empty nesters, wanted an "adult" kitchen. So we gutted and redesigned a large kitchen, laundry room and bar area. Two islands, lots of outlets for plugging in laptops, Flat Screen, and a trifold glass door leading out to the backyard patio. I will put up pictures soon, its almost done. Lousiana Purchase: would be glad to email you and see if you have any ideas too! Hard to figure out a price. Habitat store, I think there is one in DAllas. Robenkitchen-great idea about Ebay and saying Local Pickup only, I didn't know that was an option. Makes sense. I'll try Craigslist too. Garden Web was a huge resource for picking stuff out for the remodel. Everyone is so helpful and insightful.
    ...See More
  • annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry, typo - perimeter cabinets in revere pewter.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Love your ideas! I would keep the oak on the island as it will be more of an accent piece.

• NotMyCircus NotMyMonkeys
    2 years ago

That’s a very tricky hood for 8’ ceilings. If you don’t have a good lighting plan, with the hood specifically highlighted with it, it will look like a giant heavy dark mass, looming. Which it is. Get a lighting design now, in the planning stage.

• cheri127
    2 years ago

I think a hood that matches either the stove or cabinets would be the better choice. Even though you have bronze accents in the family room, I don't think they'll be enough to ground such a large hood.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

I also think that the dark hood might be overwhelming with 8' ceilings...

• ILoveRed
    2 years ago

I am a little concerned about the gap between the hood and the 30” cabinets flanking each side of it. It will get greasy in that gap. Will you be able to get in there and clean it? Close the gap, imo.

is there enough of a filler to the side of the frig?

SS would be my preference on the hood with 8’ ceilings.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone! On the ceiling front, the kitchen is 8 ft but we are opening the floorplan and the living room has 18 ft ceilings, the dining has 10. Not sure if that makes this better or worse, but wanted to give you the whole picture!

• HO-UZZ812
    2 years ago

That detail just makes the kitchen be more compressed, and out of scale. You need a light, semi monochrome palette, with lots of lighting, to bring it into harmony with the adjacent large oversized space. 18’ is way over height to do here compared to the rest of the original height space. The whole, as a whole, needs to be in harmony. That doesn’t mean not having a tall ceiling. But 18’ is way too tall compared to 8’. And that’s an issue.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

I think that the very open room with super tall ceiling now makes the kitchen seem like a cave if you go with the dark hood...sorry.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Can I do stainless steel, or do you think it really should match the light cabinets? The countertop and backsplash is honed Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo: https://www.caesarstoneus.com/catalog/5131-calacatta-nuvo/

Here are the hood makers finishes, if we decide to stay with them: https://www.worldcoppersmith.com/patinas/

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

@annemoldovan28 I respectfully disagree with some of the other suggestions and stand by my original statements that I think the hood will be fine. If anything, I would add additional space around the hood to the flanking uppers. Even 6" each side would not be too much, but I would recommend at least 3". If you will look for recent design photos with large hoods, you will see a trend to leave more space around them in many examples. I have a kitchen with 8 foot ceilings that is only 10 feet by 10 feet in layout, and my hood is very close to the dimensions of yours. It is a beautiful focal point for the kitchen. The copper is going to be fabulous, especially with the other colors and cabinetry materials you have chosen.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I really appreciate all the feedback. Cabinet maker and contractor are coming over to discuss and I’ll keep you posted! My kitchen will be 15Wx18L. I know these are first-world problems, but these decisions are agonizing! Thx!

• Boxerpal
    2 years ago

I agree with @Aglitter.

@annemoldovan28 the lower ceilings can work note these copper hoods with low 8 foot ceilings. Done right with space on either side can definitely work. Let us know what the c cabinet maker and GC suggest.

Laminate · More Info

Lake Oswego Kitchen & Family Room · More Info

White Kitchen with Custom Inset Rutt Cabinets and Zinc Hood · More Info

Eclectic Kitchen · More Info

Colorful Kitchen · More Info

French Country Estate · More Info

Severn River Residence · More Info

• HU-291331155
    2 years ago

Start with sandblasting all of the paint off of those wood beams. I can’t believe someone ruined a Tudor by doing that. Then stain them dark. Now you have something to tie together the rooms.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s white-washed Douglas Fir. I think the owner wanted a coastal look. Our house is confusing because we live at the beach and are surrounded by palm trees! Thx for the suggestion!

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What do you guys think about open shelves in the same oak as my island, 12", perhaps with a bronze sconce above? Then reduce the cabinets to 18"? Below is my crude photoshop and inspiration pics.

This pic is low res, but it's my color palette. I thought the living room beams look similar to mine, and my floors are the same medium brown. This is also my cabinet door profile.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think the rendering may be darker than reality. Here's the sample. Here are their other finishes incase you guys think I'm missing something! Maybe we do stainless steel straps? (Although I'm hesitant to be locked into an accent finish incase we want to change lights/knobs/pulls down the road) Thank you!

Finishes & Designs | CopperSmith (worldcoppersmith.com)

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Open shelving near a stove can tend to collect grease, but as long as you turn on the vent hood whole cooking you should manage. I like your inspiration photo really well and think the idea will give you that desirable open feeling around your hood while still offering some extra storage. An 18" wide cabinet is sufficient for dinner plates and some platters, so you do have room for the shelving concept with narrower uppers. I am confused on your copper finish. Is this a painted copper you plan to be doing? Copper isn't naturally black, so there is a concern as to whether the finish will have longevity or prematurely fail in some areas if it is an applied finish.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The hood is made out of copper and they apply a bronze “finish” to it. I didn’t realize it could fail. I’ll ask them how the apply it and guarantee it will last.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

The hood is beautiful. I just do not think its right for your kitchen. Stainless steel like your appliances would look much better. The hood you have chosen is too dark, and too large, and doesnt seem to go well with your kitchen.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

I just tried looking up a few reviews for you @annemoldovan28 of World Coppersmith, and it seems this company outsources production to Mexico and China and has had some quality and customer service issues as of recently. If I were you, I might expand my search a bit wider. I have personally ordered from Havens Metal and been highly impressed with quality and customer service from this Made-in-the-USA company. Ask for Alex Havens who can do anything for you in a copper hood that you desire. This company uses unrecycled, pure metal for all its products and stands behind the products with active customer service. They do fabricate hoods, although most of what you will see on the website are sinks. Read some recent negative reviews of World Coppersmith here: https://www.houzz.com/pro/coppersmithco/world-coppersmith

annemoldovan28 thanked Aglitter
  • annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

How's this? I can't tell if the hood is zinc or bronze, but I think the brass detail softens the look. I know a lot of you want me to do stainless steel, but that's not old world enough for us :)

If we go with this shape and mixed metals, I'm going to have to start a new thread for advice on pulls and pendants!

Here's the inspiration house: European Inspired Remodel - R. Cartwright Design (rcartwrightdesign.com)

They did a darker-veined quartz, which might be worth considering.

• chispa
    2 years ago

Have you looked at hoods my ModernAire. The hoods are made by a small company in Los Angeles. There are a couple of us here that have bought hoods from them the last few years. I live in LA so I actually visited their facility to get some samples of their finishes. I went with an antique brass finish.

http://modernaire.com/

• HU-291331155
    2 years ago

A stainless barrel hood with brass banding would be a much better look.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not rushing this decision! We want to make the right one. My house has an Instagram incase you want to see more pics of my style: @coastaltudor Thx!

• kaseki
    2 years ago

For more images, try https://www.handcraftedmetal.com/installedPhoto.aspx?pline=1&home=1. I observe that typically these darker hood colors (mostly copper in these examples) are best presented against light colored walls.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok, I think I finally get everyone’s point on the hood shape. Can we get away with this shape with our 8 ft ceilings? It would be 27” long, 40” wide, 22” deep. Open shelving on either side, light quartz and cabinets.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

What I think you are going for is a pre-aged copper finish which may be risky in terms of longevity. You are looking for that "old world" appearance, but freshly fabricated copper doesn't have a patina yet. If you are looking to purchase a hood with a pre-aged finish, then something is being added to that copper to create the look. I don't have the knowledge to say how well applied finishes of various types would hold up, but it is certainly something you would want to research in advance since this goes beyond the natural copper surface. Hoods are workhorses in the kitchen. If nothing else, you'll need to dust it periodically, but many families also do enough cooking to require that splatters and the occasional grease buildup will need to be scrubbed off the hood. I have read that manufacturers of lower quality copper products will put clear coatings on the copper to make it look or perform a certain way to substitute for the copper not being first quality, and cleaning and scrubbing could irreparably damage the clear coat. However, if you get a hood made of quality copper that is pure and unrecycled, that copper will retain its integrity for the lifespan of the kitchen without needing coating or restoration work over time. Uncoated copper will naturally age to a patina, but it may take some time. Cleaning can disrupt the patina, but quality copper will re-form the patina without intervention. Colored coatings are a level beyond this and may require special care.

I again encourage you to look at some of the hood offerings at Havens Metal. I know there are other manufacturers out there like them that source their metals and manufacture in North America with high quality control, but having been a customer of theirs for my sink, I am acquainted with the quality of their work and recommend them. Take a look at some sample hoods made from high-quality copper here, and be aware that a patina will set in over time, same as you see with copper pennies (new vs. old): https://www.havensmetal.com/pages/copper-range-hoods

You mentioned a zinc coating, and I'm not familiar with that. I have seen some products done in a nickel coating such as sinks from Native Trails that you might like to view for color inspiration.

In terms of the shape such as you posted above, it's a lovely shape, but in a kitchen with 8' ceilings, you'll find that it looks more squashed than your sample. It can still look lovely, but you are not going to get that long trumpet flare appearance with the space you have available.

Since you're going with a copper hood, you might really want to consider doing a copper sink to match and also faucets that coordinate with your look. I chose Brizo faucets for my kitchen, but you might check out Waterstone faucets that match with copper.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

OP has already discussed the stainless issue in prior comments to this and wants an "old world" aged copper look and posted inspiration photos of the same. I think it will be a unique and enjoyable look for the family for years to come. The key to balancing the color will be to repeat it elsewhere in the design, which is why I recommended a matching sink and faucet, and it has also been discussed previously that the cabinetry hardware and pendants will be selected to coordinate with the final hood choice, thus repeating the color around the space to integrate it.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! I left a message for Havens on Thursday! Will keep you all posted on where this nets out!! Really appreciate the dialogue and guidance.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Will Alex at @Havens | Luxury Metals or Dino at @Rachiele Custom Sinks please advise @annemoldovan28 about the coatings that are used on lower quality copper products that can peel or otherwise compromise performance over time? By way of history, these two companies are both located in Florida, and Havens once did production for Rachiele but has now separated to focus solely on its own business. Rachiele built a new production facility once Havens was no longer offering contract manufacturing. Each company has slightly different offerings. I found Havens to be priced slightly better and also to offer a textured finish that I wanted so went with them for my sink purchase. Update: Havens still provides vent hood design and production, but Rachiele no longer offers hoods.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    2 years ago

@annemoldovan28 I was asked to assist you regarding the coatings used on lower quality copper products. I have over 20 years of experience in copper patina and topcoats. The only experience I have personally had with other companies is with Chinese-made copper sinks. Their topcoat was turning white simply by pouring a hot cup of coffee in the sink. The Chinese sinks are generally top-coated inside the sink - which is never a good idea. The only part of a sink that should be top-coated is the apron front. Hoods should be top-coated. I suspect the Chinese-made hoods are just fine with regard to the quality of the finish for that application though. I hesitate to comment on things that I do not have first-hand experience with.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

My stainless steel apron front isn't lacquered and is holding up well, but I cannot speak to copper. Does @Rachiele Custom Sinks lacquer its apron fronts on copper sinks? I would think if heat delaminates lacquer or wax that a vent hood over a powerful range wouldn't be a good candidate for that type of coating either, no? Here's more about metal coatings: https://www.havensmetal.com/pages/copper-sink-care

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    2 years ago
    • @Aglitter Let me clarify... We do not build hoods nor do we do sheet metal work. We are a small artisan shop that custom designs and hand-crafts metal sinks only. We do not stock sinks. I have discovered over the years that the apron of the sink should have a durable topcoat. Since we are able to create very unique patinas, the only way to protect them is with a clear coat. Our clear coat can withstand temperatures up to 300 degrees and is able to withstand the harshest of chemicals including fuels, solvents, battery acid, ethanol, methanol, MEK, hydrochloric acid, fertilizers, and acetone. It offers permanent UV stability and does not yellow or fade.
    • As far as hoods, I highly doubt any part of a hood gets much over 100 degrees - therefore most topcoats should be fine. That being said, I am not a hood expert.
    annemoldovan28 thanked Rachiele Custom Sinks
  • Aglitter
    2 years ago

Note @Rachiele Custom Sinks that you have a hood page on your current website: https://www.rachiele.com/custom-range-hoods.aspx

Is it possible that you once contracted out hood production prior to building your own production facility? That is interesting about your coatings practices. Thanks for clarifying.

annemoldovan28 thanked Aglitter
  • annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think we are getting closer....how about this? Keep the honest feedback coming - it's much appreciated!

• Barrel shape (42W or 40W x 22D x 26L)
    • Medium zink patina with antique brass straps and rivets (note the image below doesn't have brass).
    • Ditch the floating shelves and take the Caesarstone (Statuario Nuvo) up around the wall.
    • Keep 18" cabinets on either side. Brass hardware and fixtures, Edgecombe Grey cabinets.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

I like your new color choices and think it would all look good except, once again, I am not familiar with the longevity expectation of a zinc coating which is something you would want to research. Brass will age beautifully. Like copper, you will get better long-term service from uncoated brass. The open space with just a backsplash would be easier to keep clean. Floating shelves had their moment in kitchen design and aren't as popular anymore, but your inspiration photo was lovely, so if you were disappointed about the loss of the shelving, I don't necessarily think it is a given you need to cancel it. I played around for months with the idea of floating shelving for my own recent remodel and eventually decided against it due to a cabinet maker who was confident he could give me more robust storage with an enclosed cabinet rather than shelving. In the end, I am glad to have avoided the extra cleaning that open shelving would have required.

That new shape you posted reminds me of BlueStar hoods. They do custom colors, so you might check them out: https://www.bluestarcooking.com/ventilation/

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thx! Haven’t heard from Havens but I’ll call them again. The zinc hood in my latest image is from Vogler: https://www.voglermetaldesign.com/mobile/
    I don’t know anything about them tho?

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

The Vogler website looks impressive, and they offer a half dozen zinc patinas for selection. I've not heard of them before, but the photos are beautiful. It may come down to pricing among the various companies that can give you the look you want. Those custom hoods can be pricey. My custom sink with accessories ran right at $4,000 USD including shipping, so it was one of my splurges, which I still feel was worthwhile.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Re: Quartz - can we take it to the base of the hood and next to it, just not behind it?

Yes, I hear you on the $$$. We are planning this expense to be upwards of $5K which is why I want it so perfect :) Thx!!

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

There are different views on installing hoods over a backsplash. Some people say that particularly for tile to the ceiling that you should tile the wall and then install the hood over it. I would consult with your fabricator what to do about a quartz panel which would be several times thicker than tile if you want the quartz to extend higher than the hood or up around the sides of it or even to the ceiling which would be fabulous. If you are bringing the quartz only up to the bottom of the hood and no further then yes, of course, you would install the hood flat to the wall with quartz below. It may look strange if you have cabinets on each side if the height of the quartz is different there than at the hood. You could do a curved slope from one height to the other, but that would take templaters, fabricators, and installers who know precisely what they are doing.

Be sure you consult your range's guide for quartz behind the burners. You may need to install a raised heat shield that coordinates with the range. Quartz doesn't tolerate heat as well as some other backsplash materials, so you want to make sure there is no chance for damaging the quartz. Many inspiration photos you will find show ranges improperly installed when it comes to heat protection to the backsplash. You can skip a heat shield if you have certain materials which in some cases involves metal studs and heat-resistant wallboard behind the visible material, but quartz melts sooner than tile or natural stone in terms of rising temperatures.

@Sissyphus echoes what I was thinking in terms of cost, that $5K USD is probably more in the range of a standard hood rather than a custom. It would not surprise me if a custom hood with specialty metal ran as high as $8K to $10K USD, so it may pay to shop around and get as many quotes as you can.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Those higher numbers would be including a custom decorative hood itself plus the vent hood insert, blower, installation kit, and shipping, naturally. I bought a mass-produced Wolf vent hood for my remodel and cannot remember precisely but think it was around $3,000 total for all the parts, and the main pyramid cover was a used, floor display model on clearance, so the normal price would have been higher. I found it locally and picked it up in my own car, so saved shipping fees. There is a lady who has been posting on Houzz for a decade at least who made her own vent hood out of a farm barrel that looks so much like a BlueStar hood you would not believe it. Her cost was minimal, but it looks like a high-end hood. Maybe @mama goose_gw zn6OH will see this thread and share a photo or link.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    2 years ago

@Aglitter You asked for clarification regarding a link on my site that shows range hoods. We have made hoods in my factory, however, I decided a few years ago to solely concentrate on sink design. I found a wonderful company, Art of Range Hoods, that does amazing work and their concentration is on building and designing range hoods. They are aware of local laws regarding airflow, air replacement laws, etc. It seems that many municipalities have different codes regarding hood installations. That knowledge is not easy to come by. I have found that I have better results with companies that focus on one thing. I have heard too many customers complain that their hood installations did not pass local codes.

We have been referring our customers to Art of Range Hoods for about three years now. All of our customers have indicated that they are thrilled. I admittedly am not a hood design expert. My expertise lies in kitchen design (20 years) and, for the past 22 years, custom sink design. I designed the very first workstation sinks in the industry and have over 10 patents on my unique sink designs.

We enjoy being a very small shop with non-union artisans that all have a love for hand-crafting sink art.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are some pics of our kitchen remodel with our zinc/antique brass Vogler Metalwork hood! Photos by Rick Pharaoh.

• annemoldovan28
    Original Author
    2 years ago

& contractor was Lewis Design Build!