SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannm2021

Update on your trees! Mike? Amy? Brian? Bob?

Jan
2 years ago

Hi everyone!!!! I’ve been gone so long and to be honest my love of citrus trees died for a minute because things and life just got so crazy I kind of neglected them! what I did miss is everyone here though and wondered if everyone’s doing well :) the funny thing is the citrus didn't really need me this winter they did fantastic on the neglect! Just repotted the huge 8ft cara cara tree yesterday Even though it looks small in the picture it’s huuuge lol! Also got into hoyas over the winter :) now I have even more plants to care for lol anyways I can’t wait to hear from everyone and hope everyone is safe out there

Comments (55)

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

a few pictures as promised!!

This is my sugarbelle

This is my Moro terrible fruit but beautiful tree have to try grafting it on something else

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Huge cocktail grapefruit

My Meyer lemon who’s usually so finicky didn’t drop a single leaf this winter and is doubling in size!

• Related Discussions

Update on my potted Maha Chinnok mango tree.

Q

Comments (38)
    Hi Mangodog, IF you can find the Maha Chinook anywhere else, please let me know. As far as being able to tell you that I have ate specific varieties of mango, I cannot do that but I can tell you that out of what I have had here in my local groery stores(usually pretty crappy!), Florida(pretty darn good!) and Puerto Rico(very good fruits!) the Maha fruit was probobly in the top 2 of my mango tastings. I wish I had neighbors that loved mango! I did a double take about 5 years ago when I saw mango trees at a nursery about 45 minutes away. That was one time but I am working on it. They should be bringing my Carrie mango up from this tropical fruit expo in Florida. I can't wait! Andrew
    ...See More

Seriously, what is your set up for your incoming trees for winter?

Q

Comments (141)
    Laura, you are so lucky to have more sunlight! Good for you! I have to wait until the leaves fall before I can get anymore sunlight for my trees..I have come close many times of giving up and then I have also prayed a storm would rip the tree down blocking all the sun I could use, then I kind of like that tree. You should see all the birds in it..My yard would be so exposed if it did come down..So, I guess I just except the fact it's the best I am going to do without added lights, throw them out, or pray they cut that tree down...I fluctuate..Arg Jinny..How do you temps look for the rest of week or month? Are you going to be abnormally cold this year? I hope not. It really stinks..I am glad you brought them all in as you did
    ...See More

Mike, I've started my own MG Garden soil/reptibark experiment

Q

Comments (50)
    Laura, oh, yay! Congrats on your trip next year! Now, you'll have to send us some pics! Also, be sure to "forget" that you have Italian lemon seeds in your pocket when you fly back home.. surely, you would have left them there by accident after enjoying some lemons over there. Your one-day tree will be a forever souvenir! Ugh, I hope you get rid of those pesky flies. I just googled it.. wow, they can leave some significant damage! Thank you Mike, we do love the turtles here. They are just so beautiful and I never tire of seeing them. Twice, we have seen turtles with only three flippers and the experts say that they are shark attack survivors. Poor little guys. Another time, we were at the beach and there was a giant, floating seaweed mound. Several turtles came and were having a feast; we watched them for over an hour. Wow Mike, that is a nice whitefly pic. Hope you and your parents are feeling better.
    ...See More

how many bushels of fruits do you get from your citrus trees.

Q

Comments (45)
    I'm guestimating here and all in-ground: Ponderosa lemons...getting swamped this year with over ten bushels (wild flying guess that's probably way under estimating as I have been picking now and then since November) from ten trees that are significantly producing. About ten more young trees making smaller quantities. I juiced five gallons of juice Saturday and froze most. I tried making lemon jelly using the seeds for a source of pectin. It tastes good but didn't set up. I'm picking the fruit into a contractor-size wheel barrow and probably have another load or two left in the trees. I put a box out by the road the other day with a free sign. Folks took about half. I think I can give away another big box or two and will have to either juice the rest or let it rot under the trees. I got into this predicament because the trees come up from seed and I just transplanted trees from the compost all over the yard. Now I'm needing to thin out the herd because I'm somewhere between swamped and commercial but don't have a market or the time to go commercial. Satsumas....probably 4 bushels from two trees. I LOVE Satsumas! Calamondin.....1/2 to 3/4 bushel from one large tree. This crazy tree is blooming now! Kumquat......1/2 bushel from two trees. I eat off the tree, make a pie now and then, and freeze some puree' for later. Meyer.......1/2 bushel from one small tree. I'm picking a few now and then for recipes. Moro blood orange......32 fruit this year. Very tasty first crop and looking forward o seeing what it does this spring.
    ...See More
  • Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Huge 7 ft ponkan terrible case of spider mites over the winter

Minneola dropping some old leaves but tons of new ones and tons of blooms

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

sumo tree sold the second one because it doesn’t bloom as much as this one and with the new growth i had no room for doubles

Nzl who was always a slow grower for me but decided to put on tons of growth this year so exciting! It’s finally not a bunch of sad sticks anymore and it’s bushy!

There are tons more others but these are my favourites lol at last count I have more than 20 different kinds of citrus thinking of downsizing but impossible like picking a favourite child lol

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Beautiful!

Jan, oh my Jan, my God!!! That is what happens when you keep them cold all winter and in a glass house... They LOVE to be on the colder side all winter. NO bugs issues, no heat issues with, no leaf drop, and no worry about the soil drying out so often. Mines do great unless I bring them into a heated room. This year they are all thriving too)))

Jan, you have come a long long way. I remember when you first started and when Brian was teaching us a lot of things we didn't know. I miss him too. And funny you should say that about the Pro mix. I was buying some the other day and thought of him. Crazy

Are you feeding your trees the way he does too?

He use to sprinkle a little on the top of the soil and then water in.

Do you cut the roots back to or just pot up?

Jan, I am thinking someone in your neighborhood could uses a couple of hundred dollars to lif your tree for you come fall. haha

I see the inside of that greenhouse a little I love that place. Please. take a recent pic of the inside for me when you get a moment. I love what you did inside it . There must be room in there now, thank God right?

I did put all my trees a couple of months ago even when nights were still in the high thirties and it even snowed , but they are use to the colder temps. Now they are awake and well in the 80's early summer for us. I just wish I would get storms. I never get those((( Drought instead. <y trees love thunder storms. They react so well. They grow like they have been injected with hormones.

I don't like to use tap and if I do I use vinegar too One tree , my Ponderosa gave me HUGE fruits but the leaves turned yellow because I forgot to use vinegar, but turning a nice green again.

Jan, I am soooo happy the T-shirt and sandals weather is here. I love this weather. sunny and warm every day. New growth abounds. I will take pics as soon as I get a chance.

I am so sorry about the relatives and the sickness. So sad. I am so happy you are ok and it's time you get your vaccine. I got mine a month ago and my Mom did too. Speaking of Mom, she is ok. I managed to keep her safe and stay Covid free along with her even though I worked with the public since day one when it all started.

I took the proper steps to stay safe and washed my hands more than you know. We are still wearing masks and only lost 5 people in our state to it. 70% of the citizens here have been vaccinated and starting next week, no need for masks inside as well as outside. So I can ditch my mask here at work, stores and my gym. It's very hard to workout at the gym with limited breathing I tell you(

Hugs to you Jan. Please stay around. It's fun having you here and seeing all your beautiful trees. Wow I can't believe how nice they look.

Mike

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Jan, I forgot to ask you..My bad.

Does it bother you when a lot of the perlite in the mix floats to the top? What a pain in the you know what. I have to keep lightly scraping it off.

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mike!!! I’d love to see your trees too! I’m so glad you’re still here my dear friend! I hope everyone else is alright I can’t remember the last time we heard from brian or Amy and hope they still love citrus as much as we do! I plan on sticking around and checking in from time to time Mike now that my life has somewhat slowed. life was just too much to bear and so I might have neglected a bunch of things including this forum sadly! But I’m back and glad to see laura and steve are here too along with yourself of course and a lot of new people I don’t recognize. You know Mike we certainly have come so very far! i remember the first tree that brought me to this forum it was a sad little Meyer lemon rooted cutting from Costco that died on me no matter what I did but of course back then I brought it inside for winter and that was my first mistake! Then I went through the 511 mix and the als gritty mix phase which never worked for me and it’s been such a long journey of learning from such great friends here :)

Mike I’m so glad that we have this hobby during the lockdown honestly I would have gone a little mad if not for the plants! and everytime I would water them I would think of everyone here and i am so glad to hear that you and your mom are safe because I know that you worked throughout the whole pandemic! oh Mike lol I completely forgot all about working out of any sort lol i think our whole family including our dog gained weight!! lol plus it’s pretty bad here! Vancouver has had about 600 infected per day it’s terrible! Although I’m glad your state has been doing well I honestly don’t think we had strict enough rules during the pandemic so it spread like wildfire here and everyone’s on edge and businesses aren’t doing well!

Mike I didn’t root trim this time as the pot I put it in is slightly bigger but this is the last pot it will be in I think so if it outgrows this pot I will need to do a root trim but you know root trims always make me so so

nervous! I’m not sure how bonsai enthusiasts do it lol I’d be a bundle of nerves! Also I bought a huge back of jacks professinal fertilizer and I sprinkle a little of that on top like Brian does! Honestly I’ve just copied him on almost everything lol!! You know Mike I haven’t used vinegar in the longest time!! I should start that up again I do notice some chlorotic looking leaves here and there! Lol!!! Mike I might have to pay a bunch of those construction guys across the street to help me lift these Gigantic pots!

you too mike! Hope you stick around :) I love talking to you! I will most definitely take a picture of my greenhouse and a bunch of other trees! My yuzu will not fruit and it’s almost 6ft tall lol I’m going to try threatening it like I did the Moro it shaped up after a harsh talking to! But for now I inherited this Hoya sunrise from one of my dear friends and I must say hoyas are quite the endless rabbit hole! Much like orchids! If you were here I’d send you a cutting so I wouldn’t be going down this rabbit hole alone lol!

oh I also got an orchid cutting from a good friend that I’ve been meaning to ask you about it’s called jiminy cricket cattleya orchid? Do you have it or do you know how to care for it? Lol! You’re an expert! when I received it I thought of you instantly :)

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The greenhouse for you mike! Excuse the mess lol I’m so behind on all house chores! And that bottom left hand corner is the Shasta gold that I got last year! When Brian said it was better than his sumo I just had to try it for myself!

I tried to get the whole family of citrus in this picture but impossible lol! It’s tree upon tree upon tree!

oh and yes the perlite bothers me too! Lol I was thinking of getting nice pebbles but it’s too much work when repotting! Many hugs!!

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

oh my goodness!!!! Amy I am so excited to see you here still! it made my day hearing from you and knowing you and your family are safe too :) Amy you know what they look super lush but my fruit have been subpar lol its very deceiving my citrus! I think its because we stop getting any sun in our backyard after mid September so the fruits don't ripen quite fast enough then they get tough and mealy after a while not ripening in there! I am thinking of getting some supplemental lights for the winter which kind of defeats the purpose of having a greenhouse but this north facing yard is killing me lol! Amy I hear you its been terrible here as well Vancouver didnt have any curfews and their rules weren't strict at all but I suppose there was a downside to that too as our numbers skyrocketed. oh Amy how are your avocados doing?? You know what I went a little nuts with the rose shopping too this year lol!! which ones do you have? I have a very old cutting of David Austin that is my absolute favourite but the problem is I don't know the name when we moved houses we couldn't take any of our roses with us because they were too large and the name tags were of course long gone by then so we took a cutting with us in fear of us never finding it again, It smells heavenly and there seems to be thousands of petals of peachy pink its the best! Ill take a picture when I get the chance and if you want a cutting let me know :) This year our pretty in pink eden rose is a stunner! will take pictures also when they bloom! I wanted to get the celestial night rose too but I'm trying to move plants around to make space lol you know how it is :) Oh and this year will be our first year of blooms for the David Austins Princess Alexandra of Kent! the buds are huge! I will let you know how they turn out too :) Amy I would love to see pictures of your citrus! and no I am not using miracle grow I stopped a year ago since I found a super cheap large bag of jacks professional fertilizer so far so good but I do it the same way as Brian sprinkle a little before watering in :)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Hey all my awesome friends, I mean that with my heart and I can't begin to let you all know how much I love spending time with you all...

Before I start, you should know how Bob feels about us. I think he is tired of all the good folks disappearing so please stick around, ok?

Bob

20 hours ago

last modified: 20 hours ago

"Jan, Amy, busy Laura, don’t even remember persimmonbob. Sailboat Brian got to far out in the ocean,don’t know how to get back.

They are probably joining some obscure forum"

AGAIN

Bob

22 hours ago

"

For the last 6 month or so, the others on this forum are showing less interest, forum seems to go downhill to me. It looks like Brian disappearing had lot to do with. You suppose to have direct contact with him. He was instrumental keeping this forum going. So Mike, if you think that Howard is the reason, you are all wrong, he is just helping the downward spiral With help.

Stagnant forums are not of interest to me."

So what do you think? Can we change his mind and make him see staying here is worth it? Just to get him to visit here I already tried that.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

20 hours ago

Bob, it's people like you that can make a forum like this a better place. Take that as a compliment and keep doing your part. No one needs to deter you. We all have a part, and I keep trying.

I am glad you took the time to post, now let's see what you have to add to Jan's thread. She is so sweet))

She specifically asked for you in the heading and Amy is there too.

Glad you are well

Mike

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Jan, AMY, Hello!!! I have so much to respond too and I will be back a little later, I promise...Jan , I want to talk to you about that Sunrise Hoya..Amy, so happy to see you back)))))

I will come back after the rush here at works. Hugs to all

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Jan, I tried to post again, then my phones went crazy..Ugh. I will be back...

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Jan, my Jan, I have no idea where to start but I will tell you it is awesome having you here along with May and others. Such a rich blessing. I love that sunrise Hoya. You know I tried to find that same exact Hoya for weeks and they cost an arm and a leg here in the U.S. The prices for Hoya here is just stupid. So yes, I would of taken a cutting from you if I lived near by. And of course you get one that will make you very addicted to others. What a Hoya to start with.lol The colors on those leaves are just great. The rabbit hole of Hoya, boy do I know that hole and there is no way out. lol

Talk about the virus keeping us inside. Thank God for our plants is right. It is getting very busy here now that most have been vaccinated and the masks come off on Friday. I just hate the darn traffic back now. At one time the roads were a free all for race car drivers like me.

Jan, look at that greenhouse. A place I would call home or even spend the night in sleeping in a camp bag lol I love it. Those trees so big and green. I hear you about copying Brian, I have been doing that too. Funny, I think of him often and wonder how he is and what ever made him stop coming in the first place. I miss his trees and him for sure but still grateful we have each other.

Lol, can you believe we got Amy addicted to roses? lol I shall have to take a pic of a couple and post them here if you don't mind.

I can't believe things are ok on our end and I am so happy life has slowed down for you. Thank God. Now no excuse not to share common interests these days. Lord know we all need it right Jan? Wouldn't want to disappoint Bob...

Amy, Hello)))) Have you got the Ebb Tide rose or the Madam Annisette one? You will never stop loving roses if you have these. ha

Disease free and very easy to maintain. VERY VERY fragrant and beautiful texture and coloring. Oops, did I do it again? Hugs to you too...

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    2 years ago

Oh my god Jan! I can’t believe you have a Princess Alexandra of Kent! This rose is on the top of my wishlist! I heard that the blooms are huge and I can’t wait to see yours!! Oh my, we are not only connected in citrus lolll! Jan, what roses do you have? This spring, I managed to get:

Abraham Darby

Eglantyne

Graham Thomas

Moonlight in Paris

Benjamin Britten

James Galway

Boscobel.

Jan, my avocado trees are doing good. All three of them flowered this winter. Bacon and Gwen didn’t produce any fruits because I don’t have any pollinator at that time. Reed seems to have small fruitlets but I will not be surprised if it drops them. Phoenix perennials had a avocado pre-order this winter. Did you order anything? The one I got last year were just beautiful trees.

Oh my god, Mikes, what is this madam Anisette? I just googled it and I am sure it will fill my dreams tonight. Mikes, I am glad that you are back to normal. Here, we are still in the red zone. I really can’t wait to be able to travel again and do some road trips! Oh, I hope that Bob will jump in this discussion. I remembered him showing some pictures of his lovely roses! I miss Brian for sure too! As long as his healthy, I am relieved. Sometimes, life just get in our ways. I am sure that one day he will be back with us to share some pictures if his beautiful trees!

Guys, night temperature will dropped to 40F this Friday. Erghhh, I can’t believe that I will have to bring my trees back in the greenhouse. It will be the third time that I gave to do that this year.

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You guys!!! Lol!!! Oh no here comes the enabling again 😂 ok I have to post this eden rose it’s not the best smelling but it’s soooo gorgeous I have the pretty in pink version too but it’s not as established so the roses aren’t anything to write home about yet! I just love how they’re so delicate and huuuuge! Perfect in a cut flower arrangement!

soooo much to respond to lol!!! I love it! You know Mike I really miss bob too he’s been super great on this forum and he cracks me up I feel terrible for leaving this forum for so long I truly thought of every single one of you everytime I looked out at the greenhouse from my kitchen but you know Amy is right sometimes life gets too much in the way! I’m so thankful for those that hung on while I was gone what a rich blessing indeed! I am hopeful that Brian is safe too! And that we will get bob in on here! Mike we just got our first round of shots here but not everyone and the second round to come out in august they’re saying but masks are flying off here too by june they say parties will be allowed! as much as I can’t wait for that to happen the last time restrictions were lifted we went from 20 cases a day to 1000!!! So I’m a little worried it might happen again! I hear you about traffic!! It’s terrible here I went to get some groceries earlier and wouldn’t you know it it was a traffic jam this time last year it was as so eerily empty out in the streets like the apocalypse had come but boy it was nice driving on empty streets :)

mike lol the sunrise Hoya is just too gorgeous right?!? Oh I hear you the prices are starting to skyrocket here too! I’m glad I got a cheap cutting a while back! I have such a list lol I have a pachyclada that’s about to flower so I’ll take a picture of that one! Imagine if we were neighbours mike lol we should just all move next to each other everyone in this forum imagine the parties plant lol!! Although life was so simple back when it was just citrus now I’ve gotten into Hoya orchids roses pawpaw trees and all sorts of other fruits oh dear I’m going to have to convert some guest rooms into plant rooms!

oh my goodness amy!!! Don’t tempt me lol although if you were to enable me tell me which ones to get lol! Those avocados are so beautiful amy!! So green!! do you find them fussy at all over winter? I didn’t get a chance to be online for the preorders so I’m hoping that I will get a chance to snag a few if they have extras! I just went there today but sadly they didn’t have anything in yet except for these super dwarf apple trees! I got a honeycrisp with little fruitlets on it! They say I can put it in a large pot and it won’t grow any taller than 4-5ft! It’s amazing what they’re doing with trees these days right? lol!! I have tons of roses Too! Can’t wait to see mikes! i am planning to go to select roses this weekend amy so if I can I will take pictures For you they have every rose under the sun so I go just for the fun of it even though it’s an hours drive and when I say for the fun of it I usually leave with a van full of roses in the back lol so here’s what I have:

eden

pretty in pink eden

earth angel

pretty lady

scentuous

something purple that lost its tag lol

something fuschia that lost its tag

for the david Austin roses I have :

james Galloway

princess Alexandra of Kent

evelyn

ebb tide

Claire Austin

Abraham Darby

now here’s my wish list lol!

boscobel

moonlight in Paris

Desdemona

gertrude jekyl

And so much more lol I’m embarrassed to list it all out! Also yes Mike what is this madam anisette tell us more lol and if you have a picture! oh Amy I hate when that happens! My back couldn’t take bringing in and out all the trees lol I’m going to look for a small yuzu tree from Phoenix I think! My large one is on standard rootstock I think and I might need to plant it somewhere in ground So I need a backup in case I lost it lol what will I make my chilli sauce with! amy I am awaiting the buds to open on my princess Alexandra rose! i will take many pictures for you and let you know if it’s fragrant!

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The eden rose picture didn’t load in the first comment! so I’m trying to post it again! Would love to see everyone else’s rose mike let’s see your favourites And make me and Amy envious lol

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh no!! I just went to the David Austin website and now I have so much more on the wish list lol! They’re coming out with so many new ones phew thank god they’re all sold out though because I’m seriously running out of space to plant them all

Jan

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Ok. Here’s my Madame rose !! Soft as a babies but , warm and the sweetest honey scented I’ve ever experienced. All my neighbors love it ! Never a problem with it and hundreds of blooms at once.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Jan and Amy, I will be back. In the meantime enjoy the imagined fragrance of this rose. You don't have all the roses if you don't have this one, and very hardy!!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

A couple more. The buds are pink. Then to white pink. Then open to a hue of pink on white. Start off like a ball and then to like an average rose look then full !!

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mike my jaw is on the floor!! It’s beyond gorgeous!!! You’re so right we don’t have any roses if we don’t have that one!! Lol I googled it right away and can’t find any in Canada me and Amy will drool over yours until we find it it will haunt our dreams now lol!!

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    2 years ago

Oh my god Mike, your madame Anisette leaves me speechless! So beautiful! May I ask you what do you feed your roses? They are so floriferous! Lol, I was happy to see three flower buds on my Boscobel loll

Jan, I saw madame anisette on palatine website bit they are sold out! Oh we must order one when they restock it!

Guys, do you have any suggestions for a variety that will grow well in a shadier spot? I saw a crown princess margereta this week end but was not sure if it will be ok there.

I just browse the David Austin website today and I am trying to resist to add more roses in my collection. I need some words of wisdom from you guys to stop me!

Since we are on the citrus forum, here is some pictures of my collection

xie shan

Nzl

small mango

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    2 years ago

Some more pictures

starfruit. The easiest and most productive of my tropical fruit tree

my Boscobel flower bud

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    2 years ago

Oh Jan, tell me that Eden rose will do well with some shade! Now that I saw yours, I really want one!!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Amy and Jan. you both crack me up!! lol I know right? So addictive. Everything we do, from having a greenhouse to growing citrus and in between. Thank God or we would be depressed with every day crap.

Jan and Amy, thanks..It is one of the nicest roses you could own. Ad the buds swell and the buds open, they take on so many changes in appearance and the fragrance and softness of these is to die for. Resilient unprotected in my windy frigid winters to boot. Hardly any die back ever. If I didn't cut it back after it's first flush of hundreds of roses, it would get to over 10 feet tall!

Amy, I just use Fish Emulsion and soak it every few weeks. Make sure to give a good soaking once a week too to support all those buds!

Amy, where can I get a start fruit? I would grow one in a heart beat!! I have yet meet anyone that grew a Mango from those dwarf size trees.

I also love growing banana trees but never fruit. Ugh Leaves are nice though planted outside.

Beautiful trees. Very good job growing them))

I am so happy I got a thunderstorm last night. Seems like it injected my trees with nutrients..

Now, 50's Saturday and Sunday, low 60's Monday. Such a joke. It's suppose to be hot by now not cold and on the Holiday. 90 today while working. lol. Such extremes is killing me and my plants. My figs are finally showing signs of growth. Took forever!

I am so thrilled to be here with you and anyone else that wants to join. Where is everyone? Geez...

Amy by the way, a VERY VERY fragrant rose bush that can take partial sun is the 'sea rose'. I have a few)

Hugs to you

Mike

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

oh my gosh Amy!!! that mango!! I hope it will fruit for you I'm so envious but my greenhouse is getting so full lol Amy eden rose actually does pretty well in partial shade as you know my backyard is 90% shade lol too many large pine trees ours and the neighbours and it shades most of our north facing yard. Amy if you've come here to hopefully be stopped from buying more I think you're asking the wrong group! lol! oooooh I will have to remember the palatine website thank you Amy for enabling once again! :D Amy I too want to get a star fruit and a mango! you must be so super excited to get fruits please show us your huge harvest :)

Oh Mike I totally know what you mean! I was starting to get stir crazy with everything thats happening in the world it feels like armageddon or something! oh my goodness mike now I have a new list of roses thanks to you and Amy lol! I love this forum :)

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh Amy I forgot to ask you about your xie Shan! how is your fruit have you eaten them yet? Also are your New Zealand lemonades juicy or kind of mealy? Mine is finally doing so great with new growth but the fruit have been mediocre you know what did the best for me in my shady yard is the cocktail grapefruit surprisingly!

hugs to everyone :)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Jan, I ma made three attempts, 3 mind you, every year to grow a Xie Shani and each time failed. The trees would just start loosing leaves then branches and then die before the end of winter. I have tried porous mixes, less porous mixes, checking for insects, my greenhouse, cool conditions, lights, warm conditions, on my porch, in my plant room and each year, die. I did get one to fruit before it croaked and boy it was one of the best tasting fruit I have ever had,

I think the place where I keep buying them keep selling me poor root stock for my area. So depressing.

Other than that, I owe you some pics but it has been raining and in the 40's for days! It will finally clear tomorrow and by the weekend 80's! This is the craziest weather I have ever seen. It's any wonder all of my potted plants and frogs can handle these large extremes...I can tell you that I am grateful for all the rain. It's the first time in over ten years we had anything over an inch of rain at once and everything in my garden is saying THANK YOU to the rain Gods..lol

So when it is nice out I will snap some photos for here.

I LOVE the 'Eb Tide' rose..Have you seen what they look like? Very sweet fragrance, almost black buds open to a soft velvety dark red almost marron rose. Just a perfect rose!!! I will take a pic of that too. My Mom's favorite.

Anymore pics? Any thunderstorms? I have yet to see one.

Jan, I am grateful I am not in Jerusalem or Palestine where I am running for my life with bombs destroying everything. I don't know how they can enjoy life or plants as we know it...

I will be back soon again. HUGS

Amy, still looking for a 'star fruit ' plants..Ugh

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Keeping this thread on top Jan)))

Jan thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mike lol oh my goodness!! You know what though my xie shan has not been a great grower for me either it’s slower than others and looks like a twig! Did you find out what rootstock yours was on? I don’t think it’s growing conditions you have a super green thumb so that can’t be it! Me on the other hand I’ve killed an aloe if you can believe it several times too! Lol! I’ll try to find my tag maybe it’s the rootstock it’s on! You know Mike I bought a Seville sour orange just because a lot of people said that they were fantastic rootstocks making the sweetest of sweet fruits but mine has yet to grow any fruit I was thinking of grafting a few of mine just in case I lose them and also I want to know the difference of the flavours of different rootstocks! I’m thinking of grafting the xie shan and the kiyomi onto it! i Did 2 successful grafts last summer one is of the kiyomi I used a four winds rootstock and the other one is a sumo also on a four winds rootstock and wouldn’t you know they’re growing waaaay faster than the original trees I have! Lol mike! We haven’t had a thunderstorm since a couple weeks ago my dog hates them so I hide with her! But it feels like we switched weathers mike it’s been sunnier here than usual, usually we are covered here in rainy raincouver throughout the spring! i could really get used to all this sun I must say! What a great time for walks or hikes or even to go crabbing it’ll be my first time! :) oh mike don’t tempt me with more roses lol!!! I already have too many on my wish list thanks to you and Amy but yes please take pictures of your ebb tide! Mike yes please to seeing all your trees! :)

amy this ones for you! My princess Alexandra of Kent finally bloomed!! It looks More beautiful in person even after getting munched on by tons of bugs! This stem was touching the floor so it got trampled a little and chewed on by some rabbits poor thing! But I love it! It’s the first year of blooms for me :)

hugs!!

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This picture Didn’t post last time

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    2 years ago

Mike, I just saw that logee has a arkin starfruit! Arkin is a very productive and sweet variety so you can see if it’s ok with you. Thank you for all your rose suggestions! I went to three garden centers (home depot and two other local ones) hoping to find some of the variety you suggested and they have zero roses left! Is rose that popular? Am I missing out all these years? lol

Jan, I have two xie shan and they are growing very slowly. I will try to take some pictures this week end. The fruits habe a nice sugar/acid balance for me. I prefer thrm to my satsuma (owari and okitsu) which I find bland. I really love nzl!!! I bought this variety after you said that it’s a special one to add in our collection. I usually wait for the fruits to turn entirely yellow before I pick them. By then, they are sweet and juicy just like a good lemonade. My family really likes them! I plan to buy another one because I want more fruits! Oh Jan, your PAOK is so beautiful. I will probably order a few roses for 2022 l

Jan thanked Amy (montreal, canada)
  • Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Amy yes my xie shan barely are growing its very stickly!! I would love to see a picture of yours and i will take a picture of mine too soon I keep staying with my senior dog cookie the last couple days shes been not well and I am beside myself with sadness at the thought of losing her but that is life I suppose thats what I learned during the whole pandemic life is so unpredictable and theres no way to see whats coming! Oh yes me too about the nzl!!!! It has to be one of my favourites thinking of selling a few so i can get another one too lol! ooooh which roses will you be ordering amy? I might order some too! Oh amy you will love this PAOK rose it is so fragrant :)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Ok. First the pics girls. Lol. Can not post them on my computer but I can in my phone , but I would rather type it out there rather than poke one letter at time on my phone ))

Ok Back)

OI ahve this fasination with white roses! Very sweet, strongly scented and makes you just want to fly away somewhere peaceful. This is the Pope Joh Paul rose. It unfurls so perfect and makes a good cut for water.

Not sure but knocks your socks off..

Another Noid because I buried the tag.lol Almost smells like a gardenia with traces of citrus.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

More

Jan, you see...You have me looking again and they are in stock)))) Getting one.lol

This is my pride and joy..The 'dark desire' rose. One of the strongest smelling one I have ever experienced. The buds are almost black to this.

Noid but very fragrant.

This one almost smells like a sea rose and leaves beautiful red berries. Very fragrant more than the sea rose and we know how strong they are) This one flower profusely.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

One of my favorite Iris...Very fragrant!!

Now for citrus to stay on track..ha

My variegated orange tree..

My in ground 'meyer lemon' I have been cutting back for over 5 years!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Jan and Amy...Hope you liked

Jan, so sorry about your little best friend. Please let us know how things go for Cookie ok? Funny how you names him a cookie and Brian names his a Sugar!! I hope he gets ok..

I do not know how you do it with grafts but good for you..Some day I will. Possible thunder today for me, but always possible and never happens. I think we have something there about my tree..I am going to call them and find out if there is a difference for northern growers verses southern growers in the trees they have. Mine always do ok until the winter set in and then a rapid decline from there. I swear that stock is not capable of handling less light and anything less than Florida heat..(((

Thanks for the heads up. Gotta run back to work.

Amy, I will be back to talk to you)))

Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    2 years ago

Mike Are you happy with your in ground Meyer.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Amy..lol

If you lived here they are at every store but the ones I got I had to order except the 'dark desire' one, Funny thing about that one. I bought one and my best friend bought the other because he liked it so much for his girlfriend although it was what he liked. Then he moved last year and dug it up and gave me his. Now I have two, I wish you could get one. That and the Madame Anisette. You will not be sorry))) Thanks for the info on that fruit. I think the last time you posted about the fruit Logee's was out and I put in a pre order. I have yet to hear back from them. they might of forget to tell me and now I will look to see if it is in stock. Thanks..

Hugs to both you you and stay safe)

Once I get to my phone I will post a pic of what my pond is looking like these days)

• Monyet
    2 years ago

I only have one rose plant in the yard now. use to it in a pot, grew to big placed on our deck, it it’s in the ground now, after cutting it completely down to the ground.

Here are 2 pictures, the old one and now new for 2021, much smaller. Hope to get it back to 5 feet tall.

Starting all over again. Glad it did,t die.

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

OMG mike!!!! those roses are out of this world!!! i have to get every single one you listed now lol! well its tume to get the shovel out and get rid of some of the duds to make room for new ones lol! you know mike weve been wanting to cut our huge pine tree bot only is our bakcyard north facing we have a huuuge pine smack in the middle so it shades even more! so its not that were completelu out of room but most of it is 100% shade plus to make it worst half of it is cement which would be so costly to remove by hand so no growing in ground for that too so between the shade and the cement i have very little space for in ground trees lol one day i will move and finally get ripe fruits and enough room for all the roses ill ever want! you know to cut the pine will cost thousands plus city hall approval such a pain! mike how do you upkeep your ingroind meyer? Omg your citrus are gorgeous too!! it was worth the wait and cant wait for the pond ive given up on our pnd for now! lol ill be back and write more later it's been such a tryjng time with our family dog its been emergency vets for two full days now! hugs to you!

bob your rose is beautoful! how was it in a pot? im looking for pot roses too lol i must have all the roses

• Monyet
    2 years ago

OsmOsmocote plus, decent medium, maybe spray for deseases,J beetles. heavy feeders when good size.

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mike oh my goodness i was just in a 2 day hell wjth my dog cookie. its like one morning shes fine and that afternoon her stomach swelled to the size of a volleyball and they were scared of her stomach twisting! then the next morning it was so bad she couldnt even stand we were devastated since shes like family! she already has a history of kidney failure so they had to be very careful with what they administered ie pain meds etc shes home wth us now after being at the wmergency vet for so long! we missed her shes exhausted but in the end of the day they couldnt find any gas what so ever! thank god! ive never prayed so hard in my life! i know if its not today itll be sometime in the future at one point we will have to say goodbye so itsit’s been so devastating as were just watching her get older and older. mike you know being a caregiver is exhausting emotionally and mentally and we both care for our mothers too so remember to carve out some time for just yourself! mike i dont graft well at all lol i think out of 8 one graft took! so not great odds but i just wanted to try something new :) oooooh mike lol i cant believe the princess alexandra of kent is still available! ill have to find that dark desire rose first i think lol hugs to you mike!!

bob i have one in a pot but its not doing well losing its leaves maybe i dont fertilize or water enough since that one gets full sun!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Jan, That is just horrible. Poor Cookie and poor you..Is she ok now? Keep me posted please. Thank you for the compliments. It means a lot. Been busy helping Mom here but she is better. Now it's my Dad. Ugh. Hot these past few days...Mid 90's, way hotter than usual, 5 days of it. Now back to the 50's at night and 70's by day, even a day in the 60's Crazy weather here. I hear you about the shade issue. I had a dream I set leaf and tree killing bugs in my neighbors yard and they killed the tree that blocks a lot of the sun in my yard. lol Even had a dream a pushed galvanized nails into it without anyone looking. lol

I will pray Cookie stays ok. I know, the uncertainty stinks and even when it comes

to our parents(( Hugs to you my friend. I will be back))

Bob, please, do you keep those roses in pots all winter outside even frozen in pots? They are just huge and beautiful. How do you do it??

• Monyet
    2 years ago

Jan, how’s your a little doggeeeee, hope she be alright and ofcourse you to.Mine is slowing down , going on 17. Schauners usely last 13.

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    2 years ago

Oh no Jan, all my thoughts go to Cookie. Even though, you are not a veterinarian, I know that all your caring must help her feel love and safe. Jan, your Princess Alexandra is beautiful.

Here is a picture of my xie shan. It stays small compare to the growth rate of shiranui.

Boscobel

Abraham Darby

Mike, oh thank you so much for all your pictures! Your roses are sublime. Last week, you were talking about white roses and I can’t agree more about their beauty. Loll I went out after our discussion and I saw a beautiful Bolero. I think she’s now my favorite rose! Oh my god, Mike your variegated orange tree is to die for! Where did you get this treasure?

Bolero

Bob, that’s funny that you post a picture of your beautiful rose because I was thinking about her this week. I remember that you have a beautiful rose on your deck. Did you put her indoor in winter? Love the color! it really pop out!

Lots of SugarBelle this year!

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi mike!!! thank you so much for your well wishes and prayers! well shes old shes 14 now and you know her life has never been easy she has had broken legs multiple surgeries etc so now theyre saying shes breathing too fast about 40 breathes per minute which is not great and so they think its heart disease and of couese she already has kidney failure so its all her vital organs. its very difficult to hear and thats why i havent been as active here the last week or so it has been just one thing or another! oh no mike my prayers are with your dad what happened? I truly hope he is ok! you know as we get older it doesnt get any easier thars for sure! im so glad i have everyone here. im paranoid now and just keep checking her breathing and its weird someitmes its within normal range and sometimes its rapid so i dont know what to think anymore. shes such a part of the family its tough to accept the fact that one day she will leave us and that one day doesnt seem far off. And yes uncertainty certainly stinks mike! hugs!!

lol mike!! i have the same dreams!!! so funny! the other day i just had a dream that all this sunshine was flooding through and giving me all the vegetables and roses i could ever want! nothing about sinister plotting with neighbours trees though lol not yet anyways but now youve put it in my head im sure ill dream that next lol

bob!! thank you for asking! shes only 14 but it doesnt look good! wow your dog is amazing!! what do you feed him to keep him so healthy all these years??? your little one is too cute!

thank you amy! yes in the end i just want her to feel safe comfortable and free of pain so we are trying to do that for her!

amy wow!!!! those roses!! i have the bolero too! do you find they open very fast and not last long? mine is grafted so yours may be on different root stock! amy i must admit i bought another rose!!! lol!!! i couldnt help myself! Its called beloved bill no fragrance but its too beautiufl not to buy! it was bred right here from a local breeder brad jalbert of select roses i love going there if only it wasnt so far its about an hour and a half drive!

• Jan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

She starts off deep red