SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianela7analabama

My Augusta luise rose is not pretty

Ok everyone know this rose is supposed to look amazing, like Diane’s. Here I never get the beautiful pinks and instead I am left with crazy orange colors only. It is not that I can’t appreciate an orange rose (I have crazy love) and this looks identical to crazy love here. I wanted a unique special rose with many colors that some times it is pink. I have 3 plants from Palatine and they all behave the same so I do not think they all three are mislabeled. Ok I’ll stop ranting but I am very disappointed in the colors I am getting.

Comments (70)

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are some pictures from today of some older blooms on Crazy love. I have had blooms that are much softer in color also but not right now.

it does not have the ruffles AL has but it is 100 percent healthy here. Also when I ordered it I knew I was getting this color.

When I ordered AL I was thinking of Diane’s beautiful blooms and when I saw my color it was akin to taking my first sip of coke only to find out it is tea in the cup. I like them both but still a disappointment.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    2 years ago

I wonder if the different coloring could also have something to do with bush maturity and acclimating to the growing conditions?The first year or so that I grew Olivia Austin Rose, the blooms appeared white. It was not until the beginning of year three that the pink color I purchased it for emerged...

dianela7analabama thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • Related Discussions

How fragrant is Augusta Luise?

Q

Comments (3)
    So true, Cross! I never trust the company hype any more. Early on I fell for several of those ad campaigns only to find the roses didn't perform anything like they said. I don't even trust the photos! But I've found that HMF really does try to give a true description of the rose in question. And the comments on the photos posted by the gardeners themselves of their actual experiences with a rose are invaluable! That's why I try to post photos and comments regularly.
    ...See More

Augusta Luise, one of my perfect roses

Q

Comments (25)
    This conversation about AL makes me VERY happy I put her where I did. I do not have many truly good spots for roses; my soil is surprisingly alkaline and hard clay plus excessive tree roots and lots of shade. The spot she is in has good loam and good sun. She does seem to like this spot and I hope moving her a couple of weeks ago (condensing roses to make more room for roses) doesn’t throw her off. The move was only about three feet so conditions should be the same. She is probably my most coveted rose and I really want her to grow up to look like Diane’s!
    ...See More

Augusta Luise, Abracadabra, and Gigi

Q

Comments (20)
    Austin, if you paid for them, he is custom-propagating them and putting them aside for you so they aren't sold during his June sale. Once it's his June Open House, he holds back the plants he's rooted so as not to disappoint all those who've driven far distances to visit and buy roses. Once the Open House is over, he opens the sale back up.He is rooting more and more often so many different varieties are available at different times. It's a small operation;; his main focus is writing The Combined Rose List (which he'll do solo now I suppose that his collaborator has died this year), and writing other books and articles. I've been very pleased with those I've received thus far. The more we order, the more he'll propagate. Check his list from time to time. It's the same to ship 3 as 2! : )) This year I'm getting AL, Paul Jerabek, Greetings and maybe a couple others. Last year I got Dream Land, Ascot and Jerabek's Peggy M.
    ...See More

Augusta Luise on own roots?

Q

Comments (25)
    I had no idea you were still dealing with snow, Flowers. Ugh. Here, it hasn't been especially warm, but I'm going full bore pruning. I swore I'd only prune 10 roses this year, and compare them to the non pruned ones. Well, that didn't happen because if you put me near some pruners, I am compelled to do a full prune. I hate it. The punctures, scratches, ripped up clothing, and wearing that d**m hoodie to protect my head are awful. Then I come inside with a totally squashed hairdo. Plus I look like some alien being in my big ripped up corduroy coat. You can't imagine how awful I look when I prune. OK. Rant over. Are you going to do the full prune thing? We're too old for that stuff. Diane
    ...See More
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

First of all, I love all the shades and iterations of Augusta. They all look beautiful to me. I think nothing but pale pink would be boring, and my plant blooms a gamut of shades.

Tammy, your Augusta is so lovely, and I am glad you like all the shades she can produce, too.

Thank you so much, friend Carol. I especially appreciate your kind words.

Here are some thoughts that occurred to me about AL color, especially for you in California and Alabama where the sun shines hot and long. Try giving your plant more shade, if possible. I don't mean all day shade, but see if a change to a little more shade would help achieve the color you want. I also suspect that Palatine's mother plant, being a different clone than the one Hortico had years ago, might make a difference, too, in colors. Maybe the rootstock is a different one. I don't know what Hortico was using eight years or more ago for their plants, which were said to come from different suppliers at the time. I know that when I got my three Bernstein--Rose plants from them about 15 years ago, two plants were on obviously different rootstock than the third plant, and from the first blooms they produced, to the ones they are producing right now, there are many differences between the plants. I know its the different rootstock. Finally, you might try growing Scentuous (Gartentraume) as a substitute pink AL. This rose was hybridized by Hans Evers, the breeder of AL, and I think Scentuous shares a lot of the same genes and expressed qualities as AL, like ruffles, for example. I really hope you grow to like your AL plants in all her colors. It looks like Crazy Love can be crazy orange, Dianela. But it's lovely in that shade, too. Diane

dianela7analabama thanked Diane Brakefield
  • DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Diane -- I wonder what Peter's mother plant is, at Freedom Gardens? I have an own-root coming him from him this fall -- so will be interesting to compare Palatine's version on multi-flora with Peter's version on own roots...of course, I have yet to GET an AL bloom in my garden -- due to the mix up and then replacement from Palatine...Then the deer got the big buds before they opened...but I see I have 3-4 smaller buds coming on now, so I'm excited to see what happens.

I just saw that Heirloom has LADY OF THE MIST back in stock, and that reminded me of AL a bit, but then saw in comments it's more orange for people in Zone 10...I called Heirloom, and they said that it's not recommended for Zone 10...

Anyway -- @dianela7analabama if you like pink and ruffles and want some multi-color fun -- try Julie Andrews. Bloom is not as big as AL, but it is definitely ruffled and the pink is lovely and it has yellow toward the center/bottom.

dianela7analabama thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    2 years ago

Your Julie Andrews is beautiful, Deborah!! Bent made interesting comments about this rose. I wonder how his is doing?

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Yeah, that's scrumptious!!! :) :)

dianela7analabama thanked rosecanadian
    2 years ago

If I recall correctly, Ben T thought it was a boring pink and he already had enough pink. He made some clever reference to a song...maybe Auf wiedersehen? As in, so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen...? But Ben also dislikes Carding Mill, which is a gorgeous, fragrant, healthy rose in my garden...

Re Diane's recommendation of scentuous -- I am growing two of those -- I fell in love with the first one last year, so got a 2nd. So far the blooms are small -- thought they'd be bigger this year -- and the bush is small -- and it takes a long while to repeat. I still love the color and the fragrance (swoon worthy, for sure), but thought it'd be a bigger, more robust bush and flower by now...

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Deborah - yes, everyone's tastes are different. :) :) But, to me, that's a gorgeous color!!

2 years ago

Yes, Carol! Tastes are different, as are climates. I wonder if Texas soil and sun is quite different from my coastal CA soil/sun. I think Julie Andrews is beautiful. It's supposed to be quite fragrant, but so far mine is rather mild. I'm thinking of getting a second one next year...but where will I put it??

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

In my yard temperature definitely affects AL. First the deer snacked on her and then the cold wet weather made her open funny with very garish colors. Didn’t even take a pic she was so neon.

Temperatures are a bit milder now definitely not hot but it has helped to soften her ”edges” so to speak

I love her when she’s like this!

2 years ago

Deborah-

Carol-

Agreed regarding tastes and soil. I am a Coastal Southern California native, however living in Las Vegas has likely left me jaded regarding the sun...so no comment there...

I also wondered if Ben allowed J.A. to remain in his garden, and given a little time, maybe his sentiments have changed??

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Outsteelers - that's sooooo lovely!!! I just love all the different shades of pink/peach!!

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

My plant is in part shade and the blooms are mostly pastel. I like how different the blooms can look, and their wonderful fragrance. The plant is healthy and strong.

Stronger colors...I like this too.

dianela7analabama thanked erasmus_gw
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

Here is mine.

dianela7analabama thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

I collected a few AL roses for the future, I thought I could use them as one of DD's wedding roses when the time comes. Lol DD is only 21, 2nd year in med school, she won't be married for a long while, but roses need time to mature. See, how much I love this rose. :-)

Dianela, The southern heat might be the key player for its color.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Summers - good planning!! :) :) I love your AL bloom!! Mmmmmm

Erasmus - Such beautiful colors!! I like the stronger colors the best. :) :)

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

How's the vigor of AL as own-root? How tall is it as own-root? Thanks for the info.

dianela7analabama thanked strawchicago z5
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Erasmus I love the color of your pictures. Mine is always super orange/red. I might try and place her in some afternoon shade. The problem is that she is in all day sun and still defoliates from blackspot.

sunmers thats such a sweet idea for your daughter. That color pink is gorgeous. 21 and already a second year in medschool, thats super impressive 🤩 she must be the yongest in her class. It is good your rose should be ready in a few years when she is done.

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

Thank you. Augusta rooted easily from cuttings but the little plants have not been very vigorous so far. Could be as my parent plant matures that its offspring will have more vigor. I did root them in winter so maybe spring rooted cuttings will do better. i.e. it's too early to say . Augusta has had big blooms right from the start, even the first year it was planted. My parent plant has good vigor, but it is a grafted, Palatine plant.

dianela7analabama thanked erasmus_gw
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

Thanks Dianela. Yes, she is the baby in her class. I should say she will start 2nd year after summer vacation. :-) I started paying more attention to cut roses these days.

• Magda (Ontario, USDA4/5)
    2 years ago

Mine is finally blooming, and no, it is not angry (I wouldn't mind it anyway :)

It is its second year in my garden and I finally see the multi-petalled frilly blooms, last year they had much fewer petals.

It was badly damaged last summer during roofing works, I was really happy to see that it made it through the winter after all these misadventures. It is really not evident here if a rose is not healthy and happy when the winter comes.

(I added a picture of a fully open bloom... I really love this rose!)

dianela7analabama thanked Magda (Ontario, USDA4/5)
  • LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    2 years ago

Finally got my first bloom on AL. I kept in mind the nickname ”Angry Augusta” the whole time the bud was unfurling! Ha! It started out a brighter color but a few hours later had eased up to a soft coral pink. She’s such a beauty.

Early in the day:

Later that day:

2 years ago

Magda -- I think your AL is what I'm hoping for. I won't mind the various colors, but I think I was sold on AL based on Diane's photos, and yours look similar!

Straw -- I have another AL coming this fall from Peter at Freedom Gardens, so I can tell you in a couple of years which looks better for me -- AL on Multiflora from Palatine or on own root from Freedom Gardens.

I finally got some blooms! They were lower on the plant (Bambi missed the ones close to the ground) and we are in the middle of a heatwave, so nearly everything has fried (except Princesse Charlene de Monaco, Munstead Wood, Poets Wife, Moonlight in Paris, and Celestial Nights). And then Bambi came through again and got roses AND tomatoes. ARGH!

2 years ago

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Summers - my daughter has just finished what your daughter is starting. It goes quickly...yet slowly. It was so much fun to be here with her during the whole process! Enjoy your time with her through this. :) :)

Deborah - oh no. :( Dang deer!! I wonder if deer have a preference for brighter colors vs. paler colors or fragrant vs nonfragrant. Anyway...booo for the deer eating your blooms!

Such lovely blooms everyone!!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

Deborah, the deer are so frustrating!!!

dianela7analabama thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Deborah: Love your bi-color AL !! Yes, please inform if own-root AL is vigorous like the AL-grafted-on-multilfora. About deer: they don't like strongly-scented herbs. Roseseek (Kim Rupert) metioned about the deer avoiding Rosemary herbs. I googled on the ingredients in deer repellant, and it has clove (a spice), plus mint. Since have tons of invasive mint in my garden, I stuff them in a blender and grind to bits, then pour around rose-bush, and deer stopped coming to my garden. I won't plant mint next to roses (too invasive), but I would plant a rosemary bush next to a rose. Plus I like roast rosemary chicken.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Wow!!! Something that works against deer!! :) :) Do you have to reapply very often...like after rain?

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

The mule deer here are undaunted by any kind of plant like rosemary or various spices. I've tried it all, including cat pee balls, Irish Spring soap, predator urine, lavender, Russian sage and other plants, dry and liquid repellents. There is only one liquid repellent that works here--Deer Out. And it does work. Also, deer hate the cat pee smell of boxwood, but it doesn't repel the deer once they enter my yard, and get past the boxwood. Sorry to be such a downer. Diane

2 years ago

My experience with deer is same as Diane's -- I've tried all the remedies and companion plantings. Liquid Fence will deter them for a couple of weeks, as will Deer Out, but both must be reapplied. The advantage of Deer Out is that it doesn't smell as nasty as Liquid Fence. But, I have to order Deer Out from Amazon. I wish I could have a fence! But can't where I am...!#$##

Straw...now YOU are making me hungry, too. Just read recent post on summer thread that mentioned bbq and potato salad...now I want rosemary roast chicken. Must be lunchtime! :-)

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

I google "Deer Out" and it has "peppermint fresh scent" so mint does it !!

• Rose Lai (9b)
    2 years ago

I live in an area that is considered semi-wilderness. Our deers are completely not deterred by any kind of companion planting. Definitely not mint. Plants that are "deer resistant" are consumed regularly by our deers here. Deers vary in their "taste" for plants depending on the locate. I used to have standard rose trees in the front yard, but to keep them away from the deers I need to spray every other weeks; otherwise not a single branch will remain. I remembered using Deer Out for a couple of times but the deers were not deterred at all!

The best spray is Bobbex Deer Repellent which smelled absolutely horrible for 2 days after spraying. The foul smell is due to the combination of putrified eggs, garlic, dried blood and others.

I believe there has been a scientific experiment that compared the effectiveness of different deer spray. The results showed both Liquid Fence and Bobbex are the best spray. I cannot find the source anymore but I remembered it was conducted by the government or a university. Nevertheless, if I don't spray Bobbex every 2 weeks, the deers come right back. After a while it is really tiring to keep up with the deer repellent schedule. I removed all the rose trees from the front yard 3 years ago and never looked back.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Besides dousing roses with mint-smoothie (we have ungodly amount of invasive mint here, the size of a twin-bed) ... I also mixed raw eggs with fish sauce plus clove spice and painted roses' leaves.

Cheap curry powder works to deter rabbits. Weber Spice makes this absolutely stinky Tandoori spice (10 times stinkier than curry) .. that was very effective against rabbits, but I never try that on deer since I have tons of mint in my garden. One time I spent 4 hours killing mint .. I gave mint to my neighbor and few years later they ended up spending the entire Saturday killing the explosion of mint, I felt so guilty.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Deer Out also contains rotten eggs as the active ingredient and white pepper oil. I don't think peppermint alone would do it--it's to cover up the rotten eggs smell, which they mention in their description. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Liquid Fence has been downgraded by reviewers because of decreased concentration of ingredients. I haven't tried Bobbex, but reviewers say it reeks the worst of the repellents, and it has fewer favorable reviews that Deer Out. No I don't work for this product, but it works in my garden so I stick with it. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

I live in the desert hills outside Boise, ID, and deer are rampant all over the area, include resident herds in our neighborhoods. They are mule deer, the largest kind of deer. Diane

2 years ago

Yup. We've got the mule deer, too. And no fencing to keep them out. But I have friends with fencing and the deer, when desperate, seem to outfox the fence.

Straw Chicago -- read the Heirloom Roses website about mint mulch, which they swear by (not for deer repellant, but for other good things). I wonder if you could sell your extra mint! I would love some of your mint! Can you just ship me a huge box full???

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

No deer here, thank goodness. :)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    2 years ago

So true about the Deer. They always seem to find a way. I Have so much lemon bomb. I need to read what heirloom roses does with rs.

dianela7analabama thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

So far deer is staying away from my roses at our new country garden. Roses are next to the house though. I use solar string lights, LED light balls plus 10 solar powered mole and gopher chasers - they make noise every a few seconds. Some areas don’t have string lights nearby, just mole and gopher chasers. I also heard deer doesn’t like well lighted area, my house has a lot of lights outside. I am planning to try an ourdoor radio for a future rose garden in the back.

• KittyNYz6
    last year
    last modified: last year

@dianela7analabama

I understand your Augusta Luise rose.... Maybe it's your consistent HOT humid climate that deepens colors. I see some cool temps--northern growers of Augusta L are getting more cool pinks, lighter colors.” That is common that cool temps bring out pinks. Cool temos force Luise seem to lighten her color., too.

Diane’s Augusta Luise is sensational! Such an amazing beauty!!!! And many of you above photos of Augusta Luise are beautiful!!!

Some roses deepen colors esp. yellows, reds, oranges in hot weather. And some lighten-fade out in hot weather. Cool weather can bring out deeper or lighter colors & pinks!

Augusta Luise can be spectacular rose in the climates!

dianela7analabama thanked KittyNYz6
  • Diane Brakefield
    last year

Kitty, I think hot temps and a lot of sun deepen the colors of AL. She's phototropic, perhaps. Yet by October, her colors are deepening again. If the hard frosts had hit later, I think she was lightening up in early November. It's enough to make you tear your hair out if you are a person who wants a consistent bloom color all season. I don't really care--I just want blooms. Diane

Spring 2022

Late October 2022--I'll have some early November pics soon and they are light again. So unpredictable.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Diane, Beautiful Augusta Luise & sensational color in your garden. Fertilizers & sun can bring out her deepened color, too!

So above cool spring 2022 I see lighted Augusta Luise.

Was it sunny in late Oct? Sun brings out orange colors in some roses. Your rose looks more deep orange?

In beginning of Oct 2022 I had roses w/ yellows & peach/oranges from sun, but cool weather beginning, deepening colors the most ever and pinks really darkening! My pinks get darker every day all fall, too.

Moonlight in Paris Oct. 5, 2022

Sun had shown for a week in early Oct on MIP. & bright yellow colors & peach came out in sun, but later pinks came out, yellow/peach faded as it became cool weather & rose aged later at end of week. However, In hot summer sun MIP is all over light colored.

Rose chemistry effects the rose color:

Colors of pink/red are brought out in roses when they have more Ph acidic levels. As when a rose is a bud it is at it’s highest level of acid content so it will be a deep colored bud. As it it loses acidity, aging, it becomes more alkaline, it turns more bluish colors. Following red roses will turn more bluish as they age & loose acid.

In sunlight, acidic content increases in roses, but heat degrades the pH acid level so it fades, too. So some roses intensify in sun, but other roses fade in the heat. Some roses retain acidity & intensify in color in sunlight better than others.

However, roses with carotenoids (yellow/orange colors) increase in sunlight & in cool temps they soften in color. I think Augusta L has lots of carotenoids! Alexandria of Kent intensifies to a peach color in bright sun, too! My Michelangelo rose intensifies to bright yellow in the sun!

Also some roses fluctuate in colors more than others..phototropic...... their acid/alkaline levels change more often and thus they change colors often. Such as Double Delight-ever changing in color.

In the fall when we see a deep pink rose first bloom it has retained it’s acid content & stays pink..... we see more pinks in cool falls........but later fades to blue as it looses acidity when aging.

Some believe zinc & other metals increase the acidic content in the rose making it deeper in color..... so some put zinc on roses before rose shows to intensify rose colors.

Diane, I think your Augusta Luise had a bit of sun in the fall-late Oct, which brought out it’s peach-orange. Then it bloomed lighter colors in Nov as less acid in rose content w/ cool/diminished Nov sun.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

KittyNYz6 You have the deepest, best colors on your roses .. enjoy all your pics !!

Thank you for a fantastic explanation on how the colors of roses change. I enjoy reading all your posts and learn from your 120+ roses.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Diane - so beautiful...happy, happy :)

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@strawchicago z5

Thank you! Moonlight in Paris last ves just the right sunlight & cool..... Every fall she gets. Deep yellow then to of pink come out!

Shane, Thank you! MIP is a grand rose!

• rosecanadian
    last year

Kitty - your Moonlight in Paris looked way better than mine ever did. Methinks it's going to get better and better for you every year!

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Hi, Carol,

Thank you! It’s interesting how fall sunlight & cool weather bring MIP ‘s yellow & pinks out! It really happens around Indian Summer week in the fall each year! I realize it had that deep yellow the first week of Oct.for last 2 years.

Your sun may not be as intense..... but your roses are beautiful! You are doing an amazing job hauling big pots of beautiful roses around and all your yard decorations and flowers.... I always enjoy seeing your gardens and hearing of your plans! Next spring is going to be spectacular!

• rosecanadian
    last year

Kitty - you are so right!! Next spring is going to be spectacular for so many of us...and I'm really looking forward to seeing your roses! And thank you!! :)

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

A belated thank you Carol. And I checked out Parfum de Grasse on HMF. I wish you still grew that one, and your pic is way better than 90% of the photos on HMF. It seems to be one of those roses with the changeable colors. Since I don't fertilize much after March (I like that phrase), I don't think fertilizer has a lot to do with Augusta's fall color. It's sun and heat primarily. I'm glad you're feeling better, and the ultrasound results pleased you. With our weird weather, I can only wish for a great spring, so I'm enjoying the lazy holidays (for old ladies) while my daughter feverishly decorates for Christmas. Did you enjoy your birthday dinner? Diane