SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
jally1

Shape n store sliders, Tuperware burgr keepers, Prepworks perfect burg

jally
last month
last modified: last month

Re: Shape n store sliders, Tupperware burger keepers, Prepworks perfect burger press

I'm wondering if anyone tried most or all of the "quick-burger" containers listed in subject line. And if so, which was most durable & efficient, from start to finish.

Believe it or not, there's no video comparing all of them (from the unpacking of ground-meat, then mixing in ingredients such as onions/parsley, then storage in freezer, then removal from freezer, then grilling on George Foreman.

P.S. For all i know, maybe as a time-saver - seasonings plus sauce can be added directly prior to grilling (in other words, maybe you don't need to knead together ground-meat, eggs, parsley, etc. prior to freezing.

...also: I do note some con's - i.e. some of the diameters are huge, such as the 4.25 inch Tupperware, and even the Prepworks, whereas i think a 3" shape-n-store slider is big enough, since you can double them up on the Foreman.

Comments (20)

• maddielee
    last month

In my opinion, burgers should just be ground chuck with nothing mixed in. Salt and pepper just before they are placed on the grill. The less handling of the meat the better the burger.

• ci_lantro
    last month

Agree. Fresh, never frozen ground chuck. S & P. Grill.

• chloebud
    last month

^Yes

• Coco
    last month

80/20 ground chunk seasoned with Spicy Montreal Steak Seasoning. I use my mom's old wooden press to lightly form the burgers. No heavy pressing. Then the burgers are frozen. Thawed before grilling.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

I add a light shake of garlic powder to all red meat along with S&P, or equally a light rub of fresh garlic if solid pieces. More garlic if it's lamb but especially for solid or ground beef. The light addition of garlic isn't enough to survive cooking as a distinct flavor but it does make the end result taste better.

We never freeze meat, we always buy it to eat fresh.

• maifleur03
    last month

Over the years I have been given several types of burger presses all of which needed more work than simply making a patty. If you are preparing them for freezing and want everyone the exact same size with practice you might be able to remove the patty without having to reshape it in some manner. Perhaps it is the pressing of air out of the patties but to me they do not have the mouth feel of a lightly pressed burger.

• Coco
    last month

I form each burger into a ball and then place it on the plastic wrap covered press surface. Lightly close the lid and voila! Perfect burgers every time.

Very similar to mine: vintage hamburger press

Speaking of grilling, is there a cooking forum here? All I can find is a cookware forum.

• jally
    Original Author
    last month

I see, thank y'all for the input about seasoning (actually i myself am pepper-intolerant and also i minimize salt, as it triggers UTI). So i take it that nobody here has tried the specific containers mentioned in the OP.

• maifleur03
    last month

I have tried the Tupperware ones and found that the meat stuck to the sides. There is also cutting or tearing wrap of some type to put between the burgers as you press to keep them from sticking together. Plastic wrap tended to stretch and tear when removing. Waxed paper or butchers paper would also tear and you had the problem of either uneven shaped sides where they tended to bunch unless you took the time to try to make perfect circles to place on top of each patty before you added the meat for the next. You could make one patty at a time then wrap it but the idea is to make many then separate. My husband tried freezing three at a time to show me that I did not need to wrap individually using wax paper between only to have a block of meat with pieces of paper that refused to separate from the patties. They do sell a lot of them so some people must be satisfied with them so you can only try to see if they suit you.

• Elizabeth
    last month

Parchment paper works well between patties. I rarely freeze burger patties but I hand shape them when I do.

• terilyn
    last month

I had the Tupperware years ago, I would line the bottom with wax paper. I wish I still had it!

• Rose Pekelnicky
    last month

I buy a package of about 6 lbs of 90% lean ground beef. I make patties with my vintage press using square papers, then freeze them. I make 2 sizes, 6 oz for my son and 4 oz for me. I freeze on a tray, then transfer the patties to a ziploc bag when frozen.

• Kathsgrdn
    last month

I use a Tupperware one. It's very old. I line it with wax paper before pressing it to form patties. I only use it when I go to make the burgers, never freeze them after the patties are formed.

• Judy Good
    last month

I have used Tupperware burger press for many many years. I have both sizes. I freeze them in the containers, if not using right away. I even purchased more so I could make more to freeze. I love them.

• kathyg_in_mi
    last month

Rose I love your press! I had the Tupperware one, but with 4 kids it wasn't enough holders, so I just froze on a tray then packaged.

Terilyn, I just donated my Tupperware one, wish I would have known you would like one!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last month

Coco - the cooking forum is here https://www.houzz.com/discussions/tag=319

• Coco
    last month

Floral, thank you so much!

• functionthenlook
    last month

I don't freeze burgers. I have a 1/2 cow+ in my freezer so I make my burgers after defrosting a pack. I use my Tupperware paddy maker and a scale. Perfect uniform burgers everytime. Before when I did i put 2 layers of wax paper between burgers and they separated easily. Those burger containers take up too much room.

As far as spices it depends on our mood. Sometimes just salt and pepper and sometimes what i call garbage burgers.

• wildchild2x2
    last month

I do it like Judy Good. I have both Tupperware sizes and weigh out the portions when making them. If I didn't freeze ground beef or extra burgers there would be too much waste. I like being able to have patties ready for a quick lunch or snack. If I were making them as a meal for four or more it would be different. Then fresh makes sense. But not for making a single burger.

• jally
    Original Author
    last month

I didn't know the Tupperware burger-keepers came in 2 sizes. Which 2 sizes did the stackable burger-keepers come in?

And did both options just make 8 burgers per stack?

(Note: The Shape-n-store makes 10 hex-shape sliders.)

Rose: You said you freeze on a tray, then transfer the patties to a ziploc bag when frozen.

Q: How many per [which size] tray, and how many per [which size] ziplock?

Weirdly, there's no video comparing the various containers for freezing multiple-burgers (from start of prep. to finish) - especially someone with a side-by-side freezer.

P.S. Coco, thanks, your Q made me realize i should transfer this thread to the cookware forum.