SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eater_of_sandwiches

Swap toilet and shower?

T K
2 years ago

Got some renderings done for our new master bath remodel.

GC is trying to convince me that swapping the toilet and shower so the shower is in the corner will work better and is more standard/common.

Personally, I really like the toilet tucked away and putting it in the corner allows us to gain some much needed storage without feeling cramped as it's a fairly small bathroom.

Wanted to get others thoughts here...

Comments (47)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The truth? You do not have room for a free standing tub, no matter the toilet locale. You will also find it nearly impossible to clean the floor around it, and it doesn't look good in mock ups, either.

What fits, if you must have a tub?

And there are plenty of straight side , good looking tubs. Want storage? and room for two at a vanity, and a generous shower? LOSE THE TUB. Sorry........... ( second pic )

Pick your poison...........don't jam what doesn't fit. It's a ten by 12 bath. Period.

or................

big stuff, needs a big bath : )

LAKE SIDE · More Info

LAKE SIDE · More Info

• Related Discussions

Frameless Glass Shower Door Swing Dilemma - Please Look and Help

Q

Comments (38)
    with 3 young boys I really wanted a urinal in my house, space doesn't allow it and my husband thinks it's a terrible idea. When I dream about installing one I think of all the clean up it would save. Though my boys are being trained to clean up after themselves - I think my 89 yr old is pretty good at it but my 5 yr old and training 2 yr old are not nearly as efficient as necessary. I am one woman who thinks it's a great idea! Rachel
    ...See More

Enlarging a shower opinion and ideas ?

Q

Comments (3)
    Could you do a curbless shower, extend the floor tile into the shower and not put a door on so that part of the bathroom becomes a partial wetroom? I think curbless can be expensive but you would save money if you don't need a door. Or can you swap the toilet and the shower? The toilet area looks larger and I think 36" x 36" is adequate space for the toilet.
    ...See More

Shower/tub combo or walk-in shower for 5' x 5' shower & toilet space?

Q

Comments (3)
    gee, if you are planning to sell in the next few years and if it is the only tub or bath I would probably keep a tub/shower combo even though you would most likely sell to someone without kids, many people do love baths. If resale is not in the future do what works for you. No tub and glassed shower or wet room will feel much larger. My in laws in the UK just replaced their only tub with a walk in shower and will let the possible future buyers change it if need be. I just added a master bath and chose closet space and nice large shower instead of doing tub and smaller separate shower and have no regrets but we have a hall shower/bath combo.
    ...See More

Masterbath- should it be reconfigured?

Q

Comments (14)
    Agree with a lot of the posters. Since this was so easy, does it make you wonder about the rest of your house? The original bathroom design was absolutely horrible and you noticed it here and it was quickly fixed. I would really consider the rest of the house. BTW - glass walls on showers look great day 1. After that, you are the one cleaning it or living with it not looking great. The hardness of your water matters of course but I have very little glass on our shower and pretty soft water. Because I have had full glass showers in the past.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

PS. To the pictures....in six years, nobody has been in the tub, but ONCE. Which is when they found out the water was never hooked up.: )

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Which is when they found out the water was never hooked up

LOL! But they did say they wanted a bathroom just like the one in the showroom, right?

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

I agree with Jan and really like her first rendering. Much more functional and will be more visually appealing.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

As to the subject in question...

That shower! Holy cow! Acres x 2 of glass to keep clean. Likely to involve using a step ladder. Did the gla$$ showroom design this?

And front and center. Like showering in a Macy's storefront.

Cleaning around that tub will be nothing short of hazardous. Might want to add an additional big rider to your homeowner's liability insurance for when the housekeeper breaks her neck.

Might want to listen to what your contractor is trying to tell you.

• HO-UZZ812
    2 years ago

Start with the original layout. Moving plumbing around gets to be even more expensive than. 10K of custom glass for a display cage. Forget the tub.

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

I would map some of these distances out with tape on the floor so you can get a real-life idea of the clearances. The wide-angle view of the renderings makes the bathroom appear larger than reality. A lot of space is wasted with the location of the shower and the tub positioning feels odd. I see the appeal of hiding the toilet though. I would rework the layout and then reevaluate.

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    2 years ago

is this still in the planning stage and flexible?

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

That's a peculiar layout, the tub at an angle looks odd. How could one clean the floor in the corner, on the far side of the tub?

If it were mine, I'd put the tub where the toilet is, parallel to the vertical wall, slide the toilet over so that it's between the tub and the door, and put the shower in the corner where the tub is now. Actually, I'd do without the tub altogether in that small space but some people like them.

• T K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The current layout is horrendous, there’s a small hallway with WIC on left and a room for shower/toilet on the right.

I am trying to keep the tub and vanity in the same location. Toilet and shower will have to be moved, the shower plumbing will only move minimally from the current location.

the tub we are getting is actually 4 inches smaller in width than the one in the renderings, also planning on making the cabinets 3 inches smaller, that should give the tub a bit more room to breathe.

we have soft water. With soft water and treating the glass, cleaning the glass won’t be as big a deal as people make it out to be.

• T K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

still in planning.... technically, but we need to apply for permits very soon if we want to hit our deadline.

• dani_m08
    2 years ago

If you love the look of a freestanding tub vs a built-in - find a tub that fits flat against the wall. There are “freestanding” tubs that are made to be flush to the wall. Also, make sure that you have enough room (clearance) AT THE BASE of the tub for cleaning. Ex - a 67” rectangular tub with angled sides - made the actual footprint of the tub only 50” - that extra 17” split between the two sides of the tub makes a HUGE difference when deciding whether it will fit in the space.

ALSO - if you purchase a back-to-wall tub, you can have the faucet mounted on the wall to save space. The tub I purchased also allows for the faucet to be deck mounted, if needed.

• HO-UZZ812
    2 years ago

Post a measured layout. Moving a toilet is a BIG expense. Avoid it if at all possible.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

HO-UZZ812-

Sometimes...but it might not be expensive in this instance depending on what stage of the remodel he's at. Sometimes it's the contractor who is reluctant because it can be a pain, but since the contractor is suggesting it, I assumed that it's not a big deal.

• T K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is the current layout, which we hate. Over half the length of the bathroom is effectively a hallway, we are removing the WIC and bringing in the wall to the dotted line (the new toilet will basically be moving 3' forward).

We are removing 4' from our master bed and then adding a 7' x 12,5' WIC in between the bedroom and bathroom. We are aware of the cost of relocating the toilet and are okay with it. This is a major renovation project.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

TK-

I can see why you hate it. That should qualify as a winner in the Worst Bathroom Layout Contest... ;-)

• kayozzy
    2 years ago

What about putting the shower in the other corner above the tub and have the door in between the toilet and shower?

I agree that it depends on the layout of the house if moving the plumbing is expensive. I just got a quote for $2500 to move the entire bathroom to the other side of the wall and use the existing bathroom space for a laundry room It has a basement underneath and it works because all the plumbing can go down the same wall still.

• T K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We want to maximize the closet space we have, since there's a window in the WIC on that wall next to the door putting the doorway there makes the most sense so we can utilize those 3 feet as a hallway of sorts through the WIC and into the bathroom.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Post the HOUSE plan . The whole thing. Don't go from bad to WORSE.. Four inches ? You don't have room for that tub, in that bath........four inches or no four inches.

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

I think the thing that really strikes me as odd is the angled tub. Is there a clearance issue that prevents it from being straight along the window wall?
    I agree that I would rather have the toilet tucked away behind the shower than right as soon as I walk in the door.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

The jury can sit in the tub, the defendant in the shower, the judge on the can, and the press on the vanity. Next case!

• T K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jan, you seem to have really strong opinions here, but no actual data to back them up.

I realize that it is a smaller bathroom and that things will feel a little tight, functionally however a tub is important to us, we use it regularly.

And it will fit, with enough clearance. Dimensions do not lie. You don't like the aesthetic or appearance? That's okay, but that doesn't necessarily make it wrong and it's not a "fact" that it will not fit, because clearly it does... and we so happen to like the aesthetic. Yes, it has downsides, as do all things in life, to us the upsides of having a tub outweigh them.

• originaltuckerdc
    2 years ago

You asked for others thoughts.....about the shower/toilet arrangement. Consensus seems to be.....it's odd/awkward looking. And I agree. But it appears to be what you are set on. It's your bathroom...you do get to do what you want. (Tho I wouldn't post a ballot box at the door...nor would I want to clean behind/around that tub.)

• T K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I mean, I did ask specifically about swapping the toilet and shower.... and now I'm being asked to post the whole house plan... so this thread is spiraling fast. Also Jan is insinuating that the new bathroom will be worse than the old... at that point I stop listening. I do however welcome any actual thoughtful opinions on the shower/toilet placement without going off topic.

A few people here have actually posted helpful answers (namely dmac1108, Glo European Windows & Doors)

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Here's one option but it does move things around a lot. I think you have room to put a 2'2" door to make your toilet more private. If you do so, you can turn your tub to face the shower.

Maybe flipping the layout would be more plumbing friendly.

If you just wonder about swapping the toilet and the shower, I would not swap them. I like the toilet concealed.

EDIT: I just noticed that you have low windows where I drew the shower. This layout would not work.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

suzanne-

That's a big improvement, both aesthetically and practically.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

The old bathroom & walk-in closet totaled 162.5 sq ft.

162.5 - 42 (the area of the old closet) = 120.5 sq. ft. old bathroom area

New bathroom will be 125 sq ft, a gain of only 5 sq ft.

5 square feet is roughly equal to a square that measures 2'3" x 2'3". Not much gain.

In which a larger vanity, a much larger shower and floor space lost to proposed walls is supposed to fit. Every 28-29" of wall eats up 1 sq. ft. of floor space.

So, if the space in the current bathroom feels about right, the new bathroom is probably going to feel pretty tight by comparison.

• T K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That’s a valid observation, the tub took up a lot of square footage plus all the walls compartmentalized the space a lot. So while square footage is roughly the same, its now continuous instead of broken up. Vanity is 20 inches larger, replacing the space that tub step took up.

with no walls, the light colors, floating vanity and glass shower will hopefully help make it feel not as small... but yes it will still be small.

• kj s
    2 years ago

I would want the toilet in the hidden position. As a tub person, I really don't want to look at the toilet while I am in the bath so 8t hots that mark for me as well in the small space. The angled tub position doesn't look odd to me and I think the overall layout makes great use of space for how my husband and I would use the bathroom if it were in our home. Geez people are weirdly loud and negative on here. Makes me scared to post questions. I love your rendering. I think it is a great re aligning to fit your preferences/needs and aesthetically appealing.

• kj s
    2 years ago

Forgot to add..the glassed in central shower would probably feel amazing and open rather than cramped behind tiled walls. I like the big glassed in box in the center feel as well.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

ONE question: How often do you use THIS tub? Daily, weekly, when you have the flu?

( I'm not insinuating anything.....btw )

Why did I ask? Because the tub in the picture below replaced JUST such a tub. How often does my client float in the free stand with view of garden or TV? NEVER. SHE'S BEEN IN IT ....TWICE. In seven years. which is one more float than she gave the prior tub. .................

A tub is simply a vessel that contains water. You can tuck it in an alcove, float it away from walls. The size and location of it , while comfort is certainly a factor, does not mean the end of a beautiful bath when it is keyed to the size of the bath that contains it.

elmwood master suite · More Info

elmwood master suite · More Info

Interior Design Work · More Info

There are many ways................as in the floor plan I suggested far above. In the end, its YOUR bath. You asked, I made a suggestion. Inches for the vessel on that? 60 x 34..... shorten the vanity, and gain your storage.

hardly hideous to my mind,) below.

As you want, as you want. : ) You are the payer, the advice was free.

• bpath
    2 years ago

When you step out of that shower, where will your towel be?

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    2 years ago

I had asked if you are still in the design stage because I think you can improve this but need more info.

Is this on a ground floor or upstairs?

Can you show the surrounding closets and bedroom?

It’s good news that you are moving the toilet plumbing anyway, changing that plumbing around isn’t adding to the scope of work.

I did a bath renovation recently with “everything” in a space smaller than yours @ 8’x 14’.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

I mean, I did ask specifically about swapping the toilet and shower.... and now I'm being asked to post the whole house plan

TK, there are valid reasons for wanting to see the rest of the floor plan & even the elevation.

Such as, the window that is now in the walk-in closet & which will be in the new bathroom when the closet walls come down has gone missing in most of the alternative renditions. That window determines a lot on how you can arrange the space. Knowing how that window relates to the exterior and the other windows in the house will determine if it is feasible to lose the window or relocate it, where the shower can situated if not, do I want a window in the toilet area, etc. Knowing how far the window is from the floor is another bit of info that is needed in making a plan.... Things like, 'will the window be over the tub' & 'does the window look out onto the street or the wooded back yard?'...

The assumption being that there are not budget constraints (given the cost of the proposed shower, the cost of relocating a window would not be off the table.)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

OR move THE DOOR........... A lot fewer bucks, perhaps than moving plumbing. Yes. a deep slde back straight side free stand tub. ........all you want is in this bath, just a different tub. stub wall / glass above, no higher than tub and lots of natural iight in the shower.

Better view on entry, more vanity space for two. A LOT OF FOLKS SPEND A HALF HOUR in front of a mirror, rarely a half hour in the shower.

As to the "post the whole plan/existing? The more info you give, the more possibilities you get. No matter how annoying that may be...........: )

The space limitation is only as limited as the imagination.

• T K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is the whole master suite (old and new).

The reason for the door placement is because of the window in the WIC. We have decided to forego dressers in the bedroom and have all storage in the WIC. We are building out a custom storage solution with California Closets.

The reason the bathroom is at the end is because we have two big skylights in that space + 3 feet more of wall space to play with because we only need 1 door instead of two.

This is on the second floor.

• T K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I personally do not use the tub very often, but my wife is a bug tub person. She takes a bath at least 2-3 times a week.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I think a closet wider than 84" is a wasted space. I would give that extra 11" to your bathroom. Then you could push your shower and have more space between the vanity and shower.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

The various wall bump-outs don't stack up on the two plans just directly above.

Where is the door into the BR? What are doors and what are windows?

Also, the scale appears to be off. Floorplan says the room is 16' wide, 13'6" long. But the drawing shows the 13' wall being considerably longer than the 16' wall. I think. I'm looking at this on a laptop and having problems reading the dimensions so I may be mistaken. Maybe that 16' width is 11'6"?

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

The plans say 11.5 x 13.5. the bathroom is 12.5 x 10.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    2 years ago

I would put the vanity by the toilet put the tub directly under the window and the shower where the vanity is now

• T K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The width discrepancy is due to the bathroom being in a corner while the bed and wic have a hallway on the side, we are doing a fake wall to make the wic width uniform to match the bedroom width.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

"We want to maximize the closet space we have, since there's a window in the WIC on that wall next to the door putting the doorway there makes the most sense so we can utilize those 3 feet as a hallway of sorts through the WIC and into the bathroom."........................

And. ...............

"functionally however a tub is important to us, we use it regularly."

Here is the rub.

t's not truly a great walk in closet as planned ( similar to kitchen pantries, WI 's often over rated. ) and the term and the concept gave reach ins a very UN deserved bad name.The important thing is, it is driving your bath design and a balanced look within a new bath. .I'd "permanently"shade/shutter the window use both sides ; however you want to organize//outfit the closet storage. You'll have a great view into bath; The window need not be a deterrent, I've done glass shoe and bag shelving over a window....shade behind : ) Nobody but you will know. Below?

Same tub, same 48 x 54 shower, same 90 inch vanity.........no toilet move. And a linen.

Ill 'assume what appears a window in the master bedroom/new layout ........is actually the pocket door entry :) to the bedroom, as I see no other way in

Note: your WIC as planned, offers maximum when double hung about 32 running feet, with the usual awkward corners.. Using both sides as below? You'd have 39, depending only on what you select to do over the window/. . Also room for shoe shelving, hooks ( ( larger detail) and a spot to sit, store out of season bulky or even bed linens , while still keeping a 36 inch passage through to the bath. Backs of doors are also useful storage. Depending window elevation, that spot could be drawer base with hang above, all shelving.....whatever you need. As glam as you like.

Your goals were /are to make use of a useless space, gain more storage in both closet and bath. Keep the goals in your sight....and plans. The goals do not deny you beauty, they gain you function, no matter were you to spend all day and every day in a tub: ).

The dressing room in this suite is all reach in : the left you can't see ? Has two windows, both with glass shelving behind doors and shade lowered for shoes and bags....drawer base in between . Door front are mirrored. one side and back wall.. The space was formerly a small closed off nursery/bedroom.

Interior Design Work · More Info

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

I agree with Jan about your closet. The walk-in one you were planning had two dysfunctional corners. Think about how clothes hang. If you had clothes filling up both sides (as in his side and her side), then the long wall of the closet can only hold a couple feet worth of clothes, and those clothes would make it hard to reach the ends of the right and left sides. Reach-in closets are much more functional. I like this new layout.

• T K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Jan,

Your last response has been much more helpful than prior ones, I appreciate the extra time you spent to describe your reasoning and the layout proposal, you bring up a lot of good points.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

TK

Actually, you got more "data to back up" my earlier suggestions, (and this still takes your free stand tub away)............. simply BECAUSE you provided the much fuller information to make the "data" possible. : ) : )

That is why we ask ( annoying , we know ) not JUST for the isolated "issue" or space involved . Nothing actually lives in isolation.

I can assure you, will have more function in both spaces, and were you paying? I'd say exactly the same and even let you call me a dog with a bone. To which I freely admit !