SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjudd25

Exterior Paint sheen angst

Karen
2 years ago

Greetings, I know this has been discussed before but I'm struggling!

We have an older 1 story very basic ranch house and we are getting ready to paint the exterior. Home was bought 6 years ago and was painted (Valspar chocolate brown, flat finish) right before we bought it. We just finished tearing down an old crumbling masonry chimney at the front of the house and replaced it with a framed chimney chase and gas fireplace and put Hardie plank siding on that front side. That took just about all our energy and finances so new siding is not an option right now.

The rest of the house is T111 siding, Shady areas are fine, sunny areas need help and we will have to replace a couple sheets. We want to stick with a dark color because we think it will hide our tired siding so I think we have settled on Hale Navy.

Here are pictures of the bad sections of siding where the paint is checking and another picture where I scraped the checking paint and painted the inner to strips with the left over paint.

From what one of the neighbors has told me the house has always been brown. I had a feeling that the house had always had a brown stain on it and just painted it brown to make it look better. I sure didn't scrape more than 1 coat of paint off and I seriously doubt they used any primer as the Valspar was paint and primer is one. They cheaped out. The above picture the paint scraped off pretty easy but shady areas that ave a little checking the paint did not scrape of easy without damaging the look of the wood.

I went to a BM dealer and showed him my pictures and he suggested Ultra Spec Exterior. He said the other high build paints like Regal, Aura, duration and the like would exert to much tension and could cause paint adhesion failure. He also recommended Sure Seal Primer over XM Peel Bond for the same reason. I've had another paint shop (Miller paints) say the same thing but the said to use the Peel Bond. Anyway I bought a gallon of Hale Navy Low Lustre to try before I pull the trigger on my total paint requirement. It has a sheen of 7 to 12@ 60 and it says its breathable but does not give a vapor perm rating like the flat paint which has a perm rating of 45.

I feel like the low lustre is still too shiny and makes my crappy siding reveal all of its inadequacies. I'm thinking of getting a gallon of the flat to try. I know pro painters don't use flat on exterior but truthfully about every house with that type of siding in our Portland area has flat paint, no sheen whatsoever. Since we are doing the painting ourselves I don't want to use the low lustre and hope the sheen dies down like everyone says it will and end up hating driving home to the shiny house at the end of the street. Argghh.

Our house is not fancy, its 40 years old and in the front its the concrete driveway and river rock and pea gravel around the rest except for a small 15 foot section in the back where landscape is next to the house so we don't have dirt splashing back. I'm really trying to like the low lustre but it aint giving me joy although we love the Hale Navy. We're committed to 2 coats of paint and I will say the Ultra Spec covers and goes on really nice. If nobody ever uses flat then I'm curious as to why its offered?

Anyway any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks, KJ

Comments (7)