SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Tub install redo? Does the concrete need to be removed?

Peke
2 years ago

Our plumber installed a new tub and broke the flange in 3 places. We have a new tub ready to install and have found another new plumber that has been in business for over 30 years. So, now I need some information to make sure this plumber knows what he is doing. Last week, my neighbor was cursing and yelling at a plumber that he had fired, so at least I am not the only one who has problems finding contractors.

Jetta tubs says to set the tub in mortar. The previous plumber only wanted to set the tub in canned foam stuff, but Jetta's instructions says in bold print to NOT do that, so I told the plumber to follow the instructions. As you can see from the first picture, he did not put enough mortar on the back end of the tub. The tub was not sitting on the mortar at all.

1. Does the mortar need to be removed or can the plumber add more mortar on top of the dried mortar?

2. Are there any other questions that I should be asking? Is there anything else that I should watch for or ask the plumber to do? When the last plumber brought in a bucket of water and a bag of concrete, I assumed he would mix the mortar in the bucket. Wrong! He mixed it on my marble floor! It never occurred to me that someone would do that. Then, he left the mess and didn't clean it up and tracked footprints on my carpet and wood floor.

3. Should the hole in the concrete by the PVC be filled in or left open? I can see the dirt from the ground in the hole. Will this cause creepy crawlers to get inside my house? The wall behind the shower head is a hall Closet.

4. According to Jetta, in the picture below, the plywood and wood blocks should stay on the tub when it is installed in the mortar. (A layer of plastic goes on the wet mortar first before setting the tub on the plastic.)

So, I could use an expert's advice. Thanks.

Comments (6)