SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_718792525

Should there be a wall between house attic & covered porch / garage?

Nancy Drew
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi! We're having a house built in southern Arizona (Santa Cruz County). The builder is saying that there doesn't need to be a wall between the attic of the house and the "attic" of the outside covered porch. Also said there doesn't need to be a wall between the attic of the garage and the attic of the house.

They did put insulation as a "wall". The attached photos show the "insulation wall" looking toward the house attic area from the outside covered porch (the porch will have a t&g ceiling, but will not be insulated - because it's outside).

In case it makes a difference, the attic area in the house is insulated on the interior roofline - not the ceiling.

They also didn't put a wall in the attic to separate the attached garage attic from the house attic. Again, they used insulation at a "wall" in that area.

Is this typical? All other houses I've lived in had a wall in the attic separating "outside" space and garage space from the house, so this is a new concept for me. I would have thought they would at least put in drywall. Would this "insulation wall" be enough of a barrier to keep the air from the outside and garage from entering the house attic area?

I appreciate any insights/info on this. Thank you so much for your help :-)

EDIT: I'm most concerned about the outside air getting into the house attic area - and visa versa. Since the house attic area is insulated at the roofline, the air temperature in the attic is supposedly the same as the air temperature in the house. If this area in the photos doesn't have a wall with insulation (not just this "wall" of insulation) separating the house attic from the outside, wouldn't the hot/cold air from outside come through into the house attic (and visa versa)? Thanks again :-)

Comments (14)