SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

New purchases & changes & fav. fertilizer & solutions to pests

strawchicago z5
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

One of the changes I did this spring 2021 is to go back to what I did right in 2011: fertilize with alfalfa meal plus Acid Lilly Miller NPK 10-5-4. The spring growth is twice better than previous years with Espoma Tones or chicken manure. Instead of wintering with wet & acidic leaves, I winterized with dry & alkaline wood-chips. I also lime my garden to neutralize acidic spring rain.

Below pics. are taken May 1, 2021 in my zone 5a. Instead roses die down to less than 6", I get over one foot green cane on 11th-year-own-root Golden Celebration. Below is 7th year own-root Dee-lish full of buds:

Below is 7th-year own-root Munstead Wood. Leaves become larger & glossy with liming. Munstead Wood likes it alkaline:

Another change I did was to buy from Long Ago Roses. First time ever, and I'm impressed with her solid & thick roots, tall plants, plus stem bigger than a pencil. These 3 factors are vital for winter-survival in zone 5a. It's easy to grow no-spray healthy roses, but it's hard to keep tiny own-roots alive through -20 below zero winter. I need solid-root bands (rather than alfalfa sprouts roots). Frost go below ground 1 foot for every -10 degree below zero, so the root needs to be planted 1/2 foot below ground, pile more soil on top as the plant grows taller, then top with 1 foot of wood chips.

What are some changes, new purchases, or solutions in your garden? Thanks.

Comments (45)