SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cooliozar

New Home Office/Study setup - Need Ideas!

Chris Jackson
2 years ago

I moved into a new build and the home has a designated office with French Doors. I have an old desk I'm working from right now but want to get it setup with new furniture that's still functional. The room is on the smaller side at 12 x 12.6. Here's a picture for reference. The windows now have traditional white wooden shutters.

I'm in IT and need a 2 monitor setup. I don't want it to feel cluttered or cramped. My preference is an L shaped office/computer desk, a lateral file and a bookcase or 2 if possible and maybe a floor lamp and a visitor chair.

Comments (149)

• marylut
    2 years ago

Would the Harbor View desk top lip work with this monitor stand?

https://www.amazon.com/ECHOGEAR-Triple-Monitor-Mount-Screens/dp/B079NNC2YQ

• marylut
    2 years ago
  • Related Discussions

Need your help with new house idea :)

Q

Comments (21)
    Well, after much sketching and measuring...I've decided this plan will never be as cool, or fit us as well, as the other one. At least I know I explored all my options :) So, after much review, here is the plan with the master bathroom, rather than the half bath. If we can add a few feet to the back of that part of the house, my husband likes this one much better...and I can see his point. If we don't get the upstairs bathroom in, everyone who visits will be trying to take a shower, when we are! LOL The laundry should be on the window wall and the freezer where the laundry is, but hopefully you get the idea. I'm sure we can find a woodstove small enough to fit in the space and while the larger keeping room is nice...I really like the banquette in the dining area. The greenhouse is still off the mud room and can share a sink hookup with the pantry. The entire time I was trying to rework the plan, this is the one I kept thinking about...so I guess like anything else, you just have to follow your heart and do what makes you happy! Maybe not the best view, but that's what gardening is for, right? A pergola over the banquette window, some wisteria and a few climbing roses, a couple of fruit trees...what's not to love about that view? :)
    ...See More

Wall Art Help for Study/Home Office? Photoshoppers Please?

Q

Comments (18)
    Oh, squirrelheaven thank you so much for your photoshopping. I love the tapestries but I think I might like the arts and crafts tiles better. I agree that the lamp needs to show, and this may do it better. The wall is actually a bit bowed out in a nice little triple-type curve so the symmetrical look of the two chairs under the windows with the table in the center really works (rather than the table to the side). I will definitely look into these tiles. The people at this forum are fabulous, and very helpful. I think I need to learn how to photoshop.
    ...See More

My Study Needs Doors! Ideas?

Q

Comments (4)
    I guess I would close of the one entry into the space with a frosted glass panel the use the same glass to make an entry door the space with a transom I can’t really see any other solution
    ...See More

New house, new office. Need suggestions please!

Q

Comments (2)
    So without any dimensions just going off what I can see in the photo here is a conceptual layout. I'm visualizing SW Passive as the dominant color with Seawashed Glass as the accent. I hope this helps!
    ...See More
  • marylut
    2 years ago

Would 3 monitor risers hacked together work? If IKEA legs don’t come in black get out the spray can.

• Lisa Dipiro
    2 years ago

National business furniture had this. Put the hutch against the sold wall

• marylut
    2 years ago

Hahaha, Chris, found you a castle bed

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well, I guess I need to get rid of the existing bedroom furniture! Haha! That’s a cool bed though!

• marylut
    2 years ago

How about a live edge table with the Asbury chair and Granada file cab and bookcase? These folks custom build. Or talk to a local carpenter who can create the Granada desk to your specs?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/597494673/live-edge-table-live-edge-desk-live-edge

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So this is the triple monitor mount I've already purchased and received: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7ZWC6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've tried to determine if it will work with the Harbor View desk but I haven't found anything that gives me 100% confidence that it will. I'm still trying to find out though.

• marylut
    2 years ago

Here’s what the web site Q&A said about clip to desk

Dear customer
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    We offer two mounting option: if you don’t want to drill a hole on the desktop, you may choose to clamp the base to the edge of the desk. Grommet Mounting allows free-location on the desktop where a mounting hole exists. C Clamp works perfect for desk thickness up to 3.5" while grommet base fits desk thickness up to 2.75".
    Please feel free to contact us for further help by mail: help@jollyholding.com.
    Best regards.
    MOUNTUP

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Mary. I’ve got the MOUNTUP figured out. I think the one detail I’m missing is the depth of the lip on the back of these desks. With three monitors mounted, I want to make sure the desk can support the full depth of the clamp. In this case, it’s 4” deep. My current desk has more than enough room in the back but I’m just not seeing this specific measurement on any of the diagrams.

• marylut
    2 years ago

Submit a Q, ask measurement of overhang, may be tiny on corner desks

• drblount10
    2 years ago

How do they look from the front of the desk? Also, is the mount wobbly in any way? If not, just make sure your desk has at least a 3.5 inch lip--or that it is open underneath. This looks like it is working to me....
    I saw the picture. I would veer toward a non-fussy, not so traditional look. A lot of these pics fit that. Do you have a desk in mind?

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Just reread your post. Sorry---marylut is telling you right.
    You are tempting me to add a monitor to my laptop. It can get tedious sometimes clicking multiple tabs to work.
    😁

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This was the response from Sauder: Thank you for contacting us about 413670 Palladia L-Desk. The depth of back overhang of the desk top is nearly 4" deep. However, we do not recommend monitor arms be attached to the desk.

I’m going to retrace everything tomorrow and see what makes the most sense to me. I’m feeling like I just need the right L Shaped desk and a book case. The filing cabinet can wait if I get it at all. On a side note, I did manage to purchase a new guitar! It’s not staying in the office though! Haha!

• marylut
    2 years ago

Are you committed to the clip on monitor stand? What about a model that has a base that sits on the desk top and doesn’t need to clip on, would that take up too much space?

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well, I’m committed in the sense that I’ve already purchased it. I really really want to be able to use the c clamp mount. There was an L shaped desk that I think will work but need to check tomorrow. It’s from the same company who does the Granada. https://www.sancarlosimports.com/oldwerulde.html

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Hi Chris,
    I think Sauder may be saying that because they have no way of knowing how heavy a load is being clipped. They don't want something to happen and have a situation where the laminate breaks or the clip falls and someone sues.
    Is there an office furniture store in your area? If you have time, bring the clip and try it on a Sauder piece to see if their laminate is sturdy enough. Also, if the desk is against a wall like in your picture, this will add stability.

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My wife suggested the same thing. I'm sure it's a liability thing if they tell me it's okay and then it breaks. I've got a message out to a friend who is a master carpenter but I worry with his schedule that it just won't be feasible for him to take the time to build me a custom desk. He should be getting back with me today. I just want to make sure I've exhausted every option so I don't feel like I've settled.

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Ok guys, quick update. I was able to check out the Sauder desk at our local NFM and the mount fits perfectly so I went ahead with it. I’ll be selecting a frame for the world map today. It’s going to be large and consume a lot of one wall but I need a little help deciding which will to place it on. I’ve also gotten a shield that needs to be hung. I’ll add pics. I still need a book case but with its height, that will determine which wall the map goes on. I’ve also thought about adding another Ashbury type chair with a chess table between them but that would force the bookcase to the desk wall. Would that look too heavy on the desk side? Here’s a few pics..

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Hi Chris! Any updates on your office?

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Hi Chris! FYI saw your pics but they are on a different thread.

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Whoops! I can’t seem to delete them from that thread! Let me add them here at least in case anyone checks back on this thread…

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I still want a table between the chairs. Maybe a nice wooden table with lots of carvings and a good top for a nice chess board. I’ve also been looking at larger globes that house drinks and glasses inside. We’ll see. I love it so far though!

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Hi Chris! Sorry for the delay, and sorry we didn't get back to you before. I have an idea about the big bookcase, for you and the pros.

What do you think about the bookcase centered on the opposite wall, with the chairs angled and floated on either side? It would be like the chairs are gathered in front of the bookcase. It would address all the furniture on 1 side plus the different wood tones.

I would use a tape measure and painters tape to see if you have room and if this would suit you. This saves you from moving Big Sister unless you are absolutely sure.

It also looks fine as is, and there are ways to balance the room like the wood table you suggested.

Here are pics. Pretend whatever is between the chairs is your bookcase.

LINCOLN CENTER · More Info

Laurel Springs Country Club · More Info

Traditional Newport Home · More Info

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! Honestly, that was my first idea but I went big with the world map on that wall and I think it’s the best place for it. I may still change things up but it’s something I have to stew on!

• Nia Obara
    2 years ago

Install a wrap-around paper stone counter with semi-custom cabinets. Your swivel chair would be in the center, and it can mastermind a lot more than simply just a desk.

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Good morning, Chris. Any decisions on layout?

If you decide to leave it as is, I like your idea of a table or bar cart between the 2 chairs. I even saw some globe drink carts on Houzz shop. I would say it needs to be a dark wood similar to the bookcase. All other woods need to be dark so the desk stands alone.

I see little toys on your bookcase! Do you have anything else personal you would like displayed in there? It may be time to go shopping at home.

The wall with the chairs: do you like gallery walls? This is a wall you will spend a lot of time looking at. You could also do picture ledges instead, to make it more streamlined. The map could go over your desk. The shield could go maybe leaned in the bookcase.

Or: leave the map where it is and surround it with more pictures. This will help add that cozy feel and some interest.

I also think a set of curtains would not hurt, dummy panels on either side. Solid red, or a print with red in it. This part is always hard for me, but pros know about patterns. Pros?

Finally, I'm wondering if something tall can go between the bookcase and desk, like a potted tree, screen, ...? This may help separate the 2 wood tones.

Would love your feedback on this! This office should reflect what you want, especially working from home.

Eastside Tudor Dinette and Picture Wall with Hidden TV · More Info

Gallery Wall Living Room · More Info

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’ve found that it’s difficult for me to decorate. I’ve never been one to create crowded feeling spaces but if I’m being honest, the pictures I posted as my dream space have a lot going on. I think I just need to keep at it and find the right things that I love. As you said, I spend 8-10 hrs in there a day so I want to have nice things to look at. I’ve since added a few books to the book case but it’s the same thing. I don’t want it overcrowded. I’m about to leave for the day but let me post a better pic.

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

A few pics.

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Thank you for these latest pics. It clears up a lot for me.
    So the bookcase is in the right place, and not much room for floating furniture because of the double door entrance.
    I'm hearing you on an uncluttered look. You are right to sit with this a while.
    Pros, anyone else want to weigh in?

• marylut
    2 years ago

Chris, all your books in bookcase are standing up. To create that pub feel you are after, stack some up in a pile (maybe the matching ones in red binding), then display a small object on top.

• marylut
    2 years ago

If you don’t already have 1 or 2 display objects for the bookcase that fit your vision, try local thrift shops especially for tarnished silverplate tray, carved wooden box, revere bowl, etc. Layer on the shelf so it looks “collected over time” instead of crowded.

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you both for your input! It seems like it's just going to take a little time to get things completely setup. The red books are Scribner music books that have my family name in them and were passed down to me from my grandmother along with the book holder. That's really why I kind of made it a center piece. I suppose it wouldn't make a difference if I laid them on their side and had a few items on them. I'll mess with this and see what other things I can find to add to it!

• marylut
    2 years ago

Nice history about the Scribner music books and book holder, thanks for sharing. Meaningful treasures like that make the room special and a pleasant place for you to work.

• Sharon
    2 years ago

Looks good! A green potted plant would look great and add some life to the space.

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Window wall idea: a wrought iron curtain rod with 1 curtain panel on each side, leaving your blinds as is--see picture. Your shield is taking me back to your castle ideas from the beginning. Plus...I've been bingeing Downton Abbey on Netflix.

Toile curtains in chesterfield, mo guest room . · More Info

Mission Revival bathroom draperies · More Info

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Love all the ideas! As I said, I think it’s just going to take more time. I felt like I would get these few things setup in there the way I want them and it would take on the look I wanted. I love what I have but it doesn’t have that feel as I posted in my inspiration pics.

• marylut
    2 years ago

It is a process and it is does take time. Maybe what is missing to create the pub vibe is moody paint color on 3 walls and focal wall behind the 2 chairs with removable peel and stick old brick or stone wallpaper.

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Hello Chris, any updates? FYI I've been redoing my "office" too after working from home this summer.

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@drblount10 I don't have anything new since the last post. I've stalled out a little bit. We're trying to work on so many different things that we got the office "kind of" setup so we shifted focus to the garage and game room and some other things. I'm still looking for pieces like a nice wood carved table to go between the chairs. I like Mary's idea of painting walls but I think that's a ways off at the moment. I will definitely post back here when something changes! Send pics of your office and how it's looking! I'm curious to see your progress!

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Hello all. Chris, updates are pending a huge declutter in progress. Wishing you, your family, and Houzzers a happy Thanksgiving!

• drblount10
    2 years ago

My bedroom non-office in progress. I am wanting a spa feel in this bedroom. I still need to touch up paint--this is a fixer upper. After expensive mistakes in the past, I did not want to commit to an actual office desk, plus wanted something easy to move. I resisted my usual collector tendencies for a clean look which I is what I really need.

• drblount10
    2 years ago

(Decorating the tree this week, I may relocate it, not sure.)

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Hi Chris! Wanted to share that I'm changing my office a bit. I decluttered, recluttered, only to realize I still don't like working at the desk. There is nothing inspirational there like your castle/English study theme. I have too many ideas incl a non office from a Houzz article that was a round table and chairs . . .

How are things on your end?

• marylut
    2 years ago

Hi, Chris, I was also thinking about your home office just the other day and hoping all is going well with your new home and especially your home office.

• Chris Jackson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hey both of you! Things are going well but there hasn’t really been much progress. We started putting a pool in the backyard back in December and that’s taken a lot of attention as we want to get the fence and landscape and lighting all set. Not to mention the patio furniture and all other pool expenses. I’m in a comfortable place with my study but it’s still incomplete. Trying to prioritize funds and necessities gets complicated! :) I’m hoping to add a nice hand carved chess table soon though. I feel like I’m just lacking the subtlety and nuance that creates character. I’m learning! I would share pics but nothing has really changed since the last ones I shared. How are you guys getting on?

• drblount10
    last year

Hi Chris. Any updates on your office? Life hit on my end and I finally did a huge purge and donate. 

My office area needs to be ready for upcoming work from home jobs in Fall. The minimalist look is not me. It is not "finished" or decorator quality, but it is actually more me. I want to start writing, I love cafes, reclaimed wood, and accents of color.

Let us know how you are doing!

• marylut
    last year

Hi, Chris, hope you have been enjoying your new pool! Hi, drblount, good to hear from you.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living