SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_445583271

Aisle Space between Island and Countertops

Alison B
2 years ago

Hi Wonderful People,

Thank you, in advance for your input, I appreciate it. We are about to press "go" on our kitchen plans but it has come to my attention that we have what someone called a "pinch zone" in our kitchen design. You can see it in the picture. We don't have enough space between the corner of our entrance wall and where our potential island will begin. I don't really want to make the island thinner but I will consider it. Either way, to fix this, we were thinking of moving the island over 6" towards the stove. This will give us a 36" walkway vs the 42" that we had planned out. I feel like this may not bother me. I am planning to do a lot of prepping on the island and I feel that maybe a closer island might work out. It will remain the 42" on the side where the dishwasher is. I am also wondering if another solution might be to cut back the entrance wall to give more space. (I kind of like the miniature privacy it gave though... I'm not sure. We were also thinking to pull the island further away from the window wall, but maybe more than 42" (48"+) is just too far away? Which idea do you think makes the most sense, from an experienced point of view? Perhaps a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B might do? Or maybe you are about to blow me away with another amazing idea?!!! Haha! I am looking forward to your reading your feedback, thank you.

Comments (21)