SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabetheva

increase size of door hinge

EvaElizabeth
2 years ago

The hinges are bending on my interior garage door and they definitely need to be upgraded, but I think they may also be undersized. It’s a heavy 36” door with 4” hinges. The specifications on a few hinges similar to the current hinge suggest 36” is the cut off and to size up to 4 1/2”. Is it better to upgrade the door hinge or increase the size of the hinge, which would mean cutting a new mortise and drilling new holes? I have cut mortise hinges before but only in new wood, and I’m unsure about whether or not it’s a good idea to drill new screw holes so close to the old ones, even if they’re filled with dowels. Also wondering if I should switch to square corner hinges since there are more options available, even though my other doors have 5/8 radius hinges.

Comments (13)

• HU-178658043
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I've never seen 4" hinges to be bent without significant brute force being deliberately applied. Heavy doors, like 36" exterior entrance doors, are hung with three hinges in order to distribute the weight and not have them come loose in the door edge or jamb. Are you sure yours aren't pulling the screws out of the jamb? If they're bending, perhaps you need better quality hinges.

• klem1
    2 years ago

First off I'd like to remove my hat and say that it is refreshing to see someone that already know's how and has hung doors. Majority of people asking for advice here on houzz want someone to tell them in 25 words or less how to preform tasks they have never attempted,much lees been able to complete.

I'm like HU-17xxxxxxxxxxxx above,something is going on if hinges are bent rather than pulling screws out of jamb. I suppose it's possible that hinges are brass or other soft metal so a new set of steel hinges might cure it. What I most often find is something being between door and hinge side jamb when door is closed but even that normally rip's screws out without bending hinges. If screw holes aren't stripped out,I'd make a template or take a hinge shopping for same hole pattern and reuse old screws. If holes are inlarged,you can use new hinges with different screw hole pattern. I've used lots of hinges from big box without a problem. Relocating hinge positions shouldn't look too bad on a garage door. I've done it on expensive main entrance doors then repaired gaps so it didn't show. Seen's like a straightforth fix but if I missed your question,can you restate it?

• Related Discussions

Increased size

Q

Comments (2)
    Electrolux is pretty compact. LG also makes smaller units. EWFLS70JIW is what georgect is referring to. Good unit LG makes the WM4270HWA which is 4.5CF and only 29.75"D
    ...See More

Replace sliding patio door with French In-Swing Hinge Patio Door NYC

Q

Comments (8)
    I have a patio door with a single sidelight the same width as one of the patio doors. It looks like a 3 panel setup but only two of the doors open. I think they are 36" wide but would have to double check. So a bit wider that your existing opening. Looks similar to the door in the picture but i have two doors that open.
    ...See More

door hinges for masonite solid core interior doors

Q

Comments (8)
    I've used Masonite Capri solid core 80" and 96" doors in builds. Never pre-hung. Three heavy-duty decorative hinges were always sufficient. But I would check that the hinges are true loose-pin, so the doors can be easily removed for trimming as the house settles or to ease moving day concerns. Some loose-pin hinges are lubricated for life with materials that make removing the pin impossible. And you don't want that stuff on your bare skin!
    ...See More

Garage Door Hinge Size

Q

Comments (2)
    Generally for residential overhead doors, starting at the bottom hinge, #1, then #2, then #3 and so on. The higher you go, the greater the stand-off for the roller, enabling it to work with the slightly non-vertical track to push the door against the frame as it closes, making for a more weather resistant seal. The center hinges are all #1.
    ...See More
  • cat_ky
    2 years ago

All my doors here on the house, are heavy doors. All are 36 inch doors. All have 4 inch hinges, and there is no problem of any bending. These doors are all original to the house, from 1966, so there has to be either cheap crappy hinges, on there now, or something else is going on.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Is this a wood door or or since it is a garage to house door it should be fire rated and may be steel. If this is the case you may not effectively install new hinges as the locations are predetermined.

• EvaElizabeth
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The hinges on this door have been weird since we moved in, but I’m positive we made it worse because we didn’t try to solve it. At one point about a year ago we had to remove the door to move in furniture and afterwards it was worse, and the pin in the top hinge wouldn’t seat all of the way. I meant to take care of it later but I completely forgot that the pin wasn’t seated until I noticed screws are pulling out a few weeks ago. My husband was able to “fix it” so it opens and closes a little better but i dont know how we'll ever get the hinge pin back out! The reason I wondered if i should replace them with larger hinges is because our front door has larger hinges that seem to also be better quality. But I forgot it’s a fire door so ill stay with this size! I wanted to switch the doorknobs to levers anyway due to a family member with dexterity issues so it seems like a good time to address both. i think i can handle switching out the hinges, hopefully one of them was just a dud and there isn't a bigger issue. I build furniture and cabinets but I think I would lose my mind trying to square a door, it takes so much patience!

Is it worth it to replace them with ball bearing hinges? I think the middle hinge might have been bent to begin with, so I can’t decide if it’s overkill and new hinges alone are good enough.

• klem1
    2 years ago

Based on discription or possibly lack of relivent details,I don't have better answers than has already been offered. I've come accross doors that had been pryed,kicked and occasionally torn from their jamb but this doesn't fit any of those so I guess it will remain a puzzle.

• EvaElizabeth
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Second guessing already. If the screws were pulling out a little but didn’t seem loose, are they likely stripped? I don’t want to mess with the screws again until I have new hinges in front of me but maybe that’s not realistic and I need to take it down now. I’m looking at what’s available in a black finish and a lot of it is special order. I can wait a while for them as long as my door can stay up while I wait! There’s a Baldwin regular hinge with the current hole pattern, or if the holes are likely stripped I could switch to the Emtek hole pattern, which also comes in ball bearing.

• EvaElizabeth
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Okay thanks, I don’t know what’s relevant or why the hinge had problems in the first place but none of our other hinges in the house have the same issue so it seems worth it to start with replacing the hinges. It’s really difficult to find someone who knows what they’re doing to look at something like this in my area right now. If that doesn’t resolve the problem I’ll have someone look at the door and framing, it’ll probably just be a long wait.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Its possible, someone kicked at the door, at some point in time. You will probably never know exactly what started it. If holes are stripped, it would be in the door, not the hinge, so you will need larger screws, and maybe a bit longer ones too. Get exact same size hinges, with holes in same p laces, and take off one hinge at a time, and replace with one new one, one at a time.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

How about posting a few pictures of the door closed both sides, door open, hinge side, latch side. Help us help you as your description of the issue just seems odd at best,

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Is the door itself warped? Is the doorway square? If the doorway shape has been damaged at some point (say by hitting one side with a giant fridge), the door hinges may not be able to pull the door closed easily.

• EvaElizabeth
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You were right, the middle hinge was not bent! It really looked bent. The mortise wasn’t cut tall enough so it was crooked in the mortise, seated only in the top. I assumed they were all pre hung doors but there was a pencil mark from the template beneath the hinge, and it turns out two of the hinges were marked accurately but not completely cut, one much worse than the other. I don’t have the right hinge template or a 5/8 router bit but I was able to cut the corner by hand. I thought about using 11/16 or 3/4 which I do have but i don’t know how much the corner radius being tight matters for function. After hanging the door again, the hinges are level in the mortises but they still look like they need to be about 1/16 deeper all over. I’m going to get a template and route them deeper but right now at least all of hinge pins go in easily.

The door frame is the same distance across and level but it’s is definitely not square in all directions, and it looks like the casing is twisting. That’s probably beyond what I can address but I’ll post pictures when I finish fixing the hinges.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"but it’s is definitely not square in all directions, and it looks like the casing is twisting."

Until you fix these issues it may never operate properly.