SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

Transitioning Hoyas to outdoors for the summer

Bill M.
2 years ago

some of who live in an area which experiences four distinct seasons probably go through this same dance. During the winter we place our plants as close to the windows as possible, or nestle them under grow lights, then fret about over under watering and getting them through the winter. In the spring we begin to get antsy, seeing some growth beginning to take hold and the plants waking up.

Next comes the big decision, when to move them outdoors for the summer. In some cases, like mine, I have an unheated greenhouse whereas others just use a porch, under trees, or on a patio. Herein lies the problem. When?

I moved mine into the GH a few weeks ago, and repotted them up in a chunky, very chunky mix. Placing them in the GH, the light levels were much more intense than indoors. A number of them turned pale, my Krimson Queen experienced leaf burn because it was by a vent which allowed the sun to shine directly on it. All are recovering, but slowly. On the bright side, numerous plants are exploding with peduncles! The Queen has dozens, bella, multiflora, kentiana, all filled with peduncles. Even my obavata, which never does anything, is starting to show a peduncle!

They will reside outside, being watered sometimes 2x per day because of the too chunk mix, and growing like mad.

Then comes the fall, and everything gets schlepped back inside for the winter. Jammed into rooms, under lights and generally taking up way too much space.

So - what are some of your techniques, practices, recommendations or observations concerning the hoya seasonal dance?

i look forward to your comments and maybe some newbe's can pick up some valuable information as well. All of you have so much to offer in the way of experience and opinions.

Well?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County