SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

May 2021 Week 2

dbarron
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I know this is often said, but it's still true, can it really be the second week of May in the year 2021? Where did 2019 go ? Where did April go? If you haven't already (and if it's dry enough), I'd say it's finally time to plant those warm season things (you know peppers, tomatoes, and corn for instance). I know a lot of you planted tomatoes in April, but if your weather was like mine...they haven't done anything and may have taken cold damage. I don't have tomatoes, but I have swamp milkweed from the Nature Conservancy give-a-ways, and it's in the same boat. While I don't *want* to have to run the AC non-stop, we do need to move out of extremely cold nights for things to actually grow. It's been 40F here at least 3 of the nights the past week.

Earlier, the fear was freezing/frost. Today (well yesterday really now) the fear was reading that friends in the communities north and south (ie adjoining towns) had hail. I was realizing how terribly traumatic getting a bad hail storm would be right now. I've spent hundreds getting more (small usually) plants and they might not survive being creamed. I have about $100 of seed in pots in the nursery, they for sure wouldn't survive hail. You're never free of it, especially when you forecast is typically rain at least three times a week. I haven't seen the puddles dry up in my yard for a month. Even though I have learned to plant things that can tolerate these conditions, the hardening off of plants doesn't happen. Plants respond poorly to the rare (so far) hot sunny windy days, with lots of wilt, sometimes terminal. It doesn't help that the soil is saturated and oxygen intake is poor in the roots, making things even worse. Ok, end bemoaning the wet that never ends.

April (and May) are busy times in the garden. Weeding, which in my case is pulling up virginia creeper. It has runners/vines that tunneled under the grass like 10 feet from the fence where it was growing (I'm in war now...so it will die this year or next year). I'm gonna go buy some snipping tool to cut all the vines down to the ground level (on that chain link fence) and then herbicide on new growth. I've ripped the runners out, and ended up with wounds when it whiplashed against my legs. I hate the stuff (native or not). Where I can't rip or herbicide, I'll just try my best to not let it photosynthesize, ripping up leaves and shoots as they occur. Any suggestions on which herbicide would be best...Roundup doesn't seem to do much?

With rain being a common thread in my grousing, I have managed yesterday to mow the front yard on the highest setting, despite having to charge my battery twice to finish. I need to do the back yard, but I think I'll be getting rain this morning before I can do it and my electric mower can't hack wet sticky grass, it clogs.

I have all matter of things that I should do with regards to my father, bills (mess), hospital bills (mess), property taxes (govt), cleaning out his house (so hard to pack things up and send to trash (wife wants to send to like salvation army, but it's really just unwanted trash imo) (been reading about all that they churn at the 'charitable' situation because no one really wants out trash)), selecting realtor and getting it up for sale. It's still hard to wrap my head around that he will never live there again, so I might as well, but I still don't WANT to.

I keep reading about unpleasant things (like everything's price tag rising), shortages, etc. I may have to go back to my older behavior, don't look at these things..they just drag you down :(

Well, ending on a positive note, have a great week doing what brings you pleasure!

Comments (51)