SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dani_m08

Back in hospital - not sure my mind is working properly . . . .

dani_m08
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

First - I apologize if I should have added this to my previous post about my bathroom renovation - but the title of that no longer applies to my current question.

I am, unfortunately, back in the hospital again. I need to finalize decisions about bathroom tiles.

Confession - I love tile. There are so many types/styles that I like - and I’m concerned about not using too many types of tile.

This is for my master bathroom at my year round residence. While I will be renovating two bathrooms at my lake house soon, the style there will be more casual + will be spending less money.

WARNING: I‘m using marble!!! I have struggled with this decision a lot over the past several weeks. I’ve read MANY discussions here on Houzz + John Bridge Tile Forum (plus, have received personal advice from tile experts over there). While I know there are people who are dead set against using marble, - I would appreciate if no one would try to dissuade me. I’ve always wanted a marble bathroom - it reminds me of my mom (she LOVED marble). She passed away unexpectedly a few years ago - and while I am still having a difficult time with her passing, this bathroom will make me remember her fondly.

I’ve purchased good quality marble from Italy in order to try to avoid some of the pitfalls due to using lesser quality marble tiles. I’ve also performed many tests on the actual tile.

Details:

Floor - slate 4x12 tiles - herringbone pattern (requested by my SO - cannot change)

Shower - is only 48”x42”. The existing wall between the shower and built-in jacuzzi tub (90s baby!!) was torn down. However, after my SO requested having two separately plumbed shower heads, I asked my contractor to build a part glass/part tile architectural feature wall (that’s what he’s calling it??!!) where plumbing for the regular shower head + wall mounted faucet for new bath tub will be housed.

Shower/tub location + new architectural design wall (will refer to as ADW for rest of post):

Ceiling starts at 105” on east wall and vaults to 132” at ADW. I’ve decided to extend tile up to ceiling along east and south walls and the ADW (both sides). Tile will continue around new bathtub at 42” height off of ADW. A long, deep recessed shelf will be added on the back wall behind bathtub. The tile along the south (back) wall of shower will extend out even with the front side of the ADW.

I have gone back and forth regarding the size/type of marble tile for shower (I have quite a few to chose from). I want to use a 3x9 honed Carrara marble in the shower + around the tub. I go back and forth about using some 4x12 Dolomite tiles. I don’t want an entire shower of them - I thought maybe I could run the 42” Carrara from around the tub the rest of the way along that south (back) wall of the shower and then stack the Dolomite tiles above up to the ceiling.

There is a niche in the south wall - it’s pretty large. My contractor will custom size it to my tiles once I finally make a decision! (FYI - I’ve already addressed waterproofing the cut out for the niche with the pros over on the John Bridge Tile Forum).

I have several different kinds of hexagon mosaic tiles to use on the shower floor and back of niche. I like the one below because it has more variation vs. the plain Carrara ones. However, I don’t like how the white tiles are in a pattern. I’m also not sure if I really like the white tiles at all. Here are the materials:

The slate tiles in the photo are ones that my contractor has culled out of the ones ordered. The green/blue tile is Bedrosian Cloe Baby Blue/Equipe Artisan Aqua tile. The tiles are beautiful IRL. It‘s very difficult to capture the color in a photo - all depends upon the time of day/sun exposure/angle. I would like to use it on my vanity wall. I‘m not sure if I’m forcing these tiles into the bathroom - I have a MILLION other marble mosaic/water-jet tiles that I could use instead. But I do really love these - and would like to use if possible. The vanity is a custom made floating one that will go here:

I will have three sconces on this wall - wiring is changing. My plan is to use Super White for the countertop - thoughts? I also will receive some stain samples on white oak for the vanity.

Since I haven’t been able to find the exact hexagon mosaic tile that I want, my contractor suggested combining a couple -

Here we’ve added some darker tiles to work with the slate + made the white tiles in a random pattern

Here is what it would look like if we completely eliminated the white ones (some warmer gray tiles were used to cover up the white ones for the photo - not sure that we would actually use those):

This leaves the front side of the ADW. I thought about using a different tile on that but thought I probably shouldn’t add another tile. So, my thought is to just use only Dolomite tile OR only use Carrara. If I use Dolomite - I can use the tiles I have or I also have a all dolomite picket tile. Plus, a ton of other options.

I sincerely hope that this makes sense. My head is a bit fuzzy - so, I’m not completely trusting my judgment at the moment.

Thoughts??? Thanks!!

Comments (43)

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

I don't understand what you're asking for. It sounds like you've already decided everything.

• AJCN
    2 years ago

I’m sorry to hear you are in the hospital. Is there someone who can handle things for a bit so you can rest and heal?

As far as tile selections:

How about leave the dolomite out, stick to just the marble shower wall tile, either a white (marble or porcelain) or a charcoal (to repeat the bathroom floor) shower floor, a real marble vanity that coordinates with shower tile for the counter top. Use the same marble as your countertop for all other horizontal surfaces such as shower curb (you need a good visual line of demarcation for safety), the tops of pony walls, window sills, bottoms of niches and niche shelves, etc. If you love that blue Cloe tile, use it for your vanity wall and then repeat it somewhere. I’d repeat it in the back of the niches. Bring in charcoal, blue (and maybe orange because it’s opposite blue on the color wheel) and white in your art, accessories, towels, etc. So you’ll end up with each color having a “friend to talk to.” The white shower walls talk to the white countertop. The dark bath floor talks to the dark shower floor and maybe art frames. The blue Cloe tile talks to the blue niches and/or blue art and accessories.

You haven’t mentioned metals (cabinet hardware, faucets, lights). I also use the “talk to” approach for those. It’s okay to mix metals, but I like to make sure to always repeat the metal somewhere. Such as if there’s black knobs and pulls, maybe there’s black on the lights. If there are chrome faucets, then there is chrome shower fixtures. You can repeat your vanity stain with the art frames or a wooden tray on the vanity.

Wishing you best of luck for a speedy recovery.

- Sara

dani_m08 thanked AJCN
  • Related Discussions

Hoss Is Back In The Hospital

Q

Comments (20)
    Glad Hoss is home!! Could have gotten out of breathe just thinking about how scarey it can be (like panic attack but shorter) then you settle down when nothing happens & are OK. You should have blood pressure machine so you can take that & it gives heart rate Omron makes a good 1 about $70 I think. I have 1 that is plugged in wall(electric) folks each have 1 that is battery operated & they work just fine. Get kind that goes up arm. Drs. out here don't care for wrist ones. REason I suggest it is so you know his heart rate if he gets out of breath & smart to keep eye on BP so it doesn't go nuts. You would have info to tell dr. then so he could better tell what is going on. GF had to have pacemaker about month after bypass but she is only 1 I know that had to have that. Maybe I didn't explain that well above. My dad will get short of breath when his BP goes very high-like 200 on top 100 on bottom & he needs bp pill right away, he is very salt sensitive so had to cut way back on it. When the pill works in about 30-45 min. then his breathing is fine, until then he kind of tries to gulp in air. (We used to race to hospital but learned to handle it at home)WalMart has that brand of BP machine. They are easy to use just don't take for 30 min. after eating or it screws up reading.(tells you that if you read directionsLOL) Jan
    ...See More

Is this drip irrigation working properly?

Q

Comments (5)
    Feel the tube, it should be fairly hard. Also lift up on the tube so you can see if it is dripping. There should be a constant drip, drip drip. From the pic's it appears that there is plenty of drip line for that small area and the spacing of the lines is not stretched out. There should be plenty of water there. Rake back the mulch and see if the wetted area is spreading out under the mulch. The emitter spacing on the lines appears to be close (12"-18") so if designed properly that area should get wet in not too long of time. Is it wetter closer to the valve then at a more distant point, if so there just may be too much drip line (gpm) on the zone. That looks like Netafim drip with a check valve in the emmitter. If your lacking pressure they do not drip properly. 1 gph is a pretty fast application rate and unless it is a sandy soil that dirt should get pretty wet pretty quick. If the run is real long and you have, for example a 20 psi reg on it there may not be enough pressure at the far end to operate properly. We most often use .6 gphx18" spacing and in 2 hours time there is most definitely a visual wetted area. From your description and pic,s, if I had to guess,too many gpm, low pressure.
    ...See More

My Dad is in the hospital......

Q

Comments (113)
    Sorry I got here late - but it's nice to see Lee posting again, although sadly under a tragic circumstance. Your parents should not be out any money because of this accident - there is clearly someone else at fault, and the attorney should be able to take care of that for you. Your father is lucky that the driver was caught - so many times these accidents are hit and run with no witnesses, and that would have been even more tragic. I think you are good at keeping a positive attitude, as are your parents, and that is always a help. My thoughts remain with your family for a speedy recovery. Lars
    ...See More

Back from hospital again.....update and stress

Q

Comments (12)
    Ann, Yep I was on bed rest with Hayden, but it was 10 weeks of contractions. With the contractions it was just more of aproblem with my bein in pain and not a threat with the baby. With the high blood presure and protein in my urine it is hard on the baby. I have been on bed rest and also blood pressure meds my blood pressure has still been higher than they want. We go in for a check tomorrow ( if we don't get the 10 inches of snow and 55 mph winds they are talking about) and they will do an amnio on Friday to see if the baby is ready. The kids are all at my folks and I miss them so much, but bed rest is impossible with 3 little helpers. Stacie
    ...See More
  • AJCN
    2 years ago

With so many things going on, I‘m loath to mention this, but I don’t care for the ADW. Is there a reason the second shower head can’t be put on one of the other walls? It would be more beautiful if the ADW was not there.

We have a rain shower, a fixed shower head, and a hand-shower, so I totally understand liking more than one fixture. But if it were my shower, I’d try to find a way to get another shower head without the ADW. IMO it’s more enjoyable to have the 2 fixtures adjacent to each other rather than on opposite walls. YMMV.

As far as plumbing it separately, ask your contractor to check local plumbing codes. Some areas won’t let you do that because of water usage conservation. If that’s the case, you can still have 2 fixtures and put them on a 3-way diverter. We have this and it works fine. You have the diverter all the way to one side to have 1 fixture on full, in the middle to have each fixture putting out half the water, or all the way to the other side to have the other fixture on full.

dani_m08 thanked AJCN
  • pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

I am very sorry that you're in the hospital. I hope you get well soon.

Is that RedGard over green board in the shower?! I am not a professional but I have done quite a bit of research and have built two showers on my own. Everything I read, including the spec sheet on RedGard states that sheetrock, including moisture resistant green board, is not an acceptable substrate in a wet area with RedGard. I imagine you are spending a fair amount on your lovely tile and want it done correctly. For reference, this is a Houzz thread that talks about this:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2291245/drywall-redgard-okay-for-shower

This is the RedGard spec sheet:

https://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-104.pdf

Your question about tile is not very clear, but I believe you're asking if you're trying to use too many different tiles in the space. From what I read, you're hoping to use 5 different tiles.

• Carrara marble (primary shower & tub wall tile)
    • Hexagon (shower floor & shower niche)
    • Slate ?? (You didn't specify where you plan to use this. Maybe the bathroom floor?)
    • Artisan Aqua (vanity wall)
    • Dolomite ?? (Not clear which tile this is)

What is the slate for?

Which tile is the Dolomite?

That's 5 different materials. Sounds like too much to me. I think the marble + hexagon + artisan aqua tile look really lovely together. Can you just use those 3? If you need a 4th for the floor, I do think the slate would be ok. I would not add a 5th. Either use the marble or one of your already selected accents (hexagon or aqua) on the design wall.

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@pricklypearcactus - I knew that my post was long and confusing! Sorry.

The slate tile is for the floor.

The Red Gard is on CBU - the green board is above the CBU (outside of the wet area).

My questions are:

1. Should I just use the Carrara marble on the shower walls - or should I use the Dolomite (white tile in photo) on the top portion of the back wall?

2. What tile should I use on the front (tub side) of the ADW?

3. Should I use the marble hexagon mosaic tile (i) as is (with white marble tiles in a pattern), (ii) add darker marble + move a few white marble tiles around so they are randomly placed, or (iii) remove all of the white marble tiles?

4. Is it okay to bring in the blue/green/aqua tile into the bathroom on the vanity wall to add a pop of color OR should I just stick with a marble mosaic tile?

5. Should I repeat the hexagon mosaic tile on the back of the shower niche?

I think that’s it!

@AJCN - The shower plumbing has been inspected and passed. When I was trying to figure out how I wanted to handle the plumbing for the shower head on that side of the shower, this is the inspiration photo I found:

This wasn’t exactly what I was looking for because I wasn’t going to have a freestanding bathtub. Based upon some advice I was given by some pros, I was going to add shelves or some niches on the tub side of that wall adjacent to the the built-in tub like this

My SO knew that I really liked the look of a freestanding tub - but also knew that I didn’t want to ”force” the tub into the area - and that’s why I was installing a new built-in tub. He surprised me and had the contractor find a tub that looks like a freestanding bathtub but sits flush against the back wall. The contractor and I decided to install the tub flush against the ADW - and install a wall mounted faucet in the ADW instead of deck mounting one.

And this may be TMI (the pain meds in my IV are lowering my filtering abilities - LOL) - but my SO specifically wants to have two shower heads positioned on opposite walls so that we can sometimes use the shower together . . .

Not sure if I answered everything - hopefully, I’ve explained my questions better. Thanks!

• Therese N
    2 years ago

I don't think I can improve on the other great advice, but I do want to caution you on slate on the floor. The nature of that stone is not ideal for a bathroom. It is notoriously slippery when wet, and because of the way slate cleaves, it leaves sharp edges that will not be great for bare toes. I would look for a substitute in either a matte porcelain or other material.

Oh, and the high/low hex will be a pain to clean.

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Therese N - the hexagon tile will actually be installed flat - I was just trying to show what it would look like if I substitute different color tiles on the original mosaic sheet. Not sure that I explained that very well (among other things!)

With respect to using the slate tile on the bathroom floor - good quality slate tile is actually slip resistant and a good choice when installing radiant heat. It is tight grained and pretty non-pourus. I actually relied pretty heavily on some information provided by MongoCT (a tile “expert” here on Houzz who used to participate in these discussions fairly frequently) and bill_vincent (another tile guru), plus a couple other users who installed it on bathroom floors (and even on some shower floors).

I purchased gauged and honed tile - most of the tile is pretty smooth. The type we are installing is the most durable type so no cleaving. My sister has the same exact tile installed in one of her bathrooms (different size/layout) for about 5 years, and loves how easy it is to maintain. I wouldn’t personally use it on shower floors/walls because I don’t particularly like the smell of wet slate (I have a really sensitive sense of smell). There definitely are issues with different varieties - and with lower quality tiles. I appreciate the warnings - if I was using one of these other types of slate, it would be a poor choice.

Here is the reason I decided to purchase the Cloe tile (same as Equipe Artisan):

I saw this photo, and fell in love! The tile looks more this shade of color in my bathroom - especially when the light hits it. I originally purchased it to use in a different bathroom - however, that bathroom doesn’t have any natural light. While the tile still looks pretty - it doesn’t look like it does when light hits the glossy surface and makes it kind of sparkle a bit. This is why I’m asking whether I should use it in the above bathroom - I don’t want to “force” it to work just because the bathroom has a big window and lots of light.

• Therese N
    2 years ago

Good to hear. Too many people make choices not understanding the products. Glad you’ve chosen the more stable variety. Btw, brainfog or not, decision making can make anyone’s head spin. We are at the tail end of our project and still need to choose some things, but I’ve got decision fatigue so bad!

Hope you heal quickly and feel well soon.

dani_m08 thanked Therese N
  • 2Cats AndTheirMom
    2 years ago

I prefer to keep things simple and 5 different stones/tiles is a bit much. You mentioned blue or aqua - keep that in your accessories like towels, etc. that are easily changed out.

dani_m08 thanked 2Cats AndTheirMom
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Not a "bit much" Call it WAY TOO MUCH. Two is plenty, and three is maximum,

Design is editing. Get well, and re think .: )

dani_m08 thanked JAN MOYER
  • tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Not a pro. I also like simpler when it comes to tiles. Lot of details and decisions in a bathroom - not easy for anyone! (Wishing you a speedy recovery, btw.) If I understand your post correctly, one of your questions is about the the hexagon mosaics for the shower floor? in your two tile roundup pics, I prefer the 2nd. I agree the white hexagons in the first mix stand out too much. I think the second one would blend in better with the slate floor and when a floor has minimal variation, a space looks larger.

The white tiles in this mosaic are bound to stand out against the slate floor but perhaps not a big deal depending on shower floor type? Did you mention what type of ledge, if any, the shower floor will have?

I think this mix' variated tiles will blend in better with the slate floor:

I'm not a fan of a different tile in shower niches but then again, I'm not 100% convinced niches are essential to successful showers. Beyond a different tile for the niches, I wouldn't consider two tiles for shower walls. Tiles are extremely beautiful and seductive but let's face it: they date, no matter how classic the material.

dani_m08 thanked tartanmeup
  • eaw 513
    2 years ago

First, I’m sorry that you’re having health issues, hope you get better soon.

Next, wowza there are so many tiles. Sometimes too much is really too much. My fear for you is that this will look like a giant mish mosh if you use them all. Why not let one tile be the star and use one, or two more complementary tiles. I love the aqua tiles with your marble and some hex in the niches but consider a floor that is more similar in color to the marble. It’s nice to have visual interest but not visual overload. Wishing you the best.

dani_m08 thanked eaw 513
  • eaw 513
    2 years ago

Stop the presses😁 Check out the newer article Bathroom of the Week: Fresh Style and an Airy Layout. The designer used 4 tiles but the color palette is what ties them together. Again, it appears that you like more contrast but this could be good for thought.

dani_m08 thanked eaw 513
  • dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tartanmeup - I also think that the white tiles in the original mosaic jump out - especially because they are set in a pattern. Adding some of the darker marble hexagons + having less white tiles in a random pattern seems more subdued. You didn’t mention the third option I posted - where I removed all of the white tiles (but left the darker marble added in to match the slate). Do you like the white tiles OR do you think that I should remove all of them??? My head hurts!

With respect to your question re: what ledge the shower floor will have - I assume this refers to the curb/threshold? I waited to ask this question because I felt like I had already thrown so much into my initial post!! I‘ve thought about using the white Dolomite for the shelves/sides of the shower niche + shower curb/threshold + two horizontal surfaces on the ADW where the glass will land. I also can just use the same Carrara marble for those areas as the field tile for the walls if that would look better. Thoughts???

I’ve also wondered if I should just use the hexagons on the shower floor - and use the same Carrara marble for back of the niche. I don’t currently have one solid piece of matching Carrara for the back - but I could make it look like one solid piece if I size the niche correctly (limit the width to 24” or less - I have a total of 30” available to use). I can place a shelf in it which will disguise the fact that there are two tiles stacked vertically in it. I have a total height of 20” to use.

You didn’t specifically mention what tile to use for the front (tub side) of the ADW - I’m assuming that’s because you think I should just carry the Carrara on all vertical surfaces in the bathroom in order to keep simple/less visually stimulating.

TOO MANY DECISIONS!

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@eaw 513 - DEFINITELY A LOT OF TILES!!! That’s why I decided to ask questions on here. I think that lurking around the kitchen/bathroom discussions on Houzz has caused me to develop a ”tile fetish” - maybe it will replace my shoe fetish!!! Re: the slate tile for the floors - that’s kind of non-negotiable. My SO really likes the slate floor. While he’s expressed thoughts/opinions on other aspects of the renovation, he always ends with “. . . do whatever you want.” So, I’d really like to keep the slate since it’s something he’s wanted from the very beginning. FYI - I just looked at the Bathroom of the Week - the colors of their tile selections definitely cause everything to flow together better. Thanks!

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER - You’re the reason I decided to post this dilemma!! While I was looking at the photos of all these tiles, all I kept hearing in the background was you saying, “Remember to edit your design!” Kinda funny since I obviously have NO IDEA what your actual voice sounds like 😂

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@2Cats AndTheirMom - I know, I know . . . That’s why I’m struggling with this! As I stated above, I‘ve fallen madly in love with this tile - and don’t want to “force” it into the bathroom if it doesn’t work with the marble/slate. I actually thought at one point about adding it to the front of the ADW! I would LOVE a shower of it!! BUT - I know that some day my feelings will cool down - and some other tile will start ”flirting” with me causing my head to turn - and I’ll wish that I could change up the color of the bathroom. That’s why I thought about only using it on the wall behind the vanity/mirrors. My thinking is that when I tire of it, it will be easier to replace one wall. Plus, if I used it in the shower - it would be 10x more difficult to replace because I would have to waterproof my shower again.

Your comment has made my stomach hurt - not your fault - it’s a good point. My sister had just convinced me that I should go ahead and add it because she thinks I’ll regret it if I don’t. She keeps telling me that it’s not THAT much money to replace it later down the road. Of course, it’s always easier to spend someone else’s money!!!

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

I believe this is the bathroom you're referencing, @eaw 513?

Bellevue Master Bath · More Info

I see only 3 tiles? Did the article list 4?

ETA: I now see the 4 tiles in the close up pics! The shower floor and niche tiles are different patterns but same colours and scale.

But yes, the colour palette is close in tone - the whole bathroom is cohesive and harmonious. Easier for the eye to tire of contrast than a monochrome palette, I believe. That said, how we perceive contrast and patterns is quite subjective so it's all very much ymmv. This bathroom's designer likes to tile walls to protect drywall. Tiled walls were very popular decades ago and but how often do people go "ewww" and "rip it out!" when faced with a tiled wall vintage bathroom these days? Tiled walls aren't as easy to "update" as wall paint.

@dani_m08, yes, I meant the shower curb, not ledge. Sorry about that. How high will it be?

For the niche, if using the same material as walls, would changing the orientation of the tile make the install easier? Let's not forget the real life purpose of a niche: hold products. How much of a design feature can they be beyond Pinterest room pics? For me, ease of tiling and cleaning would take priority over a niche as decor accent.

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Therese N - I really do appreciate your initial comment about being cautious about using slate tile in a bathroom - if I hadn’t researched it so much, I might have ended up with a problematic tile. I ALWAYS fully research decisions like this - sometimes to excess!! The amount of information available can be overwhelming at times - there are times where I feel “paralyzed” because I’ve over researched something!!

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tartanmeup - every time I think about the shower niche, I also hear Patricia’s voice in the background asking, “Why does everyone want to highlight their shampoo/conditioner bottles and soap??!” They look pretty in the photos - but how many people actually add succulents/plants to their shower niches?

I do know of one person - @Beth H. : - your wall of plants in your shower is amazing!!

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I also wanted to say that I appreciate all of the well wishes. I only added the information about being in the hospital in order to explain why my mind isn’t running at full capacity. It’s difficult to make decisions when you’re hooked up to an IV of Dilaudid (very strong pain medicine). I didn’t want people to think that I’m just flaky or slightly crazy!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Yep. I think you get it. Too many tiles. Go light in shower, dark on floor and light everywhere else. You might be able to design a stripe across the vanity wall with that gorgeous blue/green tile but dry test it first. Might be too much.

dani_m08 thanked Flo Mangan
  • pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

Really relieved to hear that the green board is not below the RedGard!

I completely understand the feelings of falling in love with so many different tiles. There are so many stunningly beautiful tiles out there and in reality most of us only have the opportunity to design a few bathrooms, so it's easy to want to use all of tiles you fall in love with. If you were putting together an outfit to go out for a special occasion, you certainly wouldn't put your favorite cocktail dress over top of your favorite tuxedo pants and your favorite blouse. You would edit your choices to a design that works together and look fabulous. I think you're going to have to do the same for this bathroom.

I do think 2-3 tile choices is optimal for a cohesive design. Maybe you could stretch it to 4 but at the risk of the space looking busy and disjointed. 5 is just too many. What about something like this:

• marble - shower walls, tub walls, design wall
    • artisan aqua tile - vanity and shower niches/accents
    • one other tile for bathroom floor and shower floor

dani_m08 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • tartanmeup
    2 years ago

That's the thing with niches in daily life: they end up highlighting product rather than tile. :D Same with kitchen backsplashes: in most people's day to day, it's covered up with "stuff". Yet, we break our heads over these tile decisions.

In my humble amateur opinion, @JAN MOYER and @Flo Mangan are among the very top Pros on this forum. They both have years of experience, a great eye and amazing taste. Your bathroom can only be better for heeding their advice. :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Get some watery green TOWELS and hang some art. Good GRIEF. lol good grief, good grief good grief....hahhahahahah

How MANY tiles are here??? two.

You just don't need five "good ideas" .......five good ideas are one BAD idea

LAKE SIDE · More Info

LAKE SIDE · More Info

dani_m08 thanked JAN MOYER
  • smalloldhouse_gw
    2 years ago

We just did 3 bathrooms, and I got the tile fetish along the way. In our primary bath we used 4 different tiles: black faux marble herringbone floors; black hex shower base; a wavy off-white wall tile; and a ceramic Moroccan accent tile on one shower wall. I would have gone much crazier left to my own devices, not just around colors but also shapes (I was thinking pickets or lantern shapes for the white tile.) But the awesome tile guy that I worked with talked me out of some of that and advised wisely on grout and edging choices. He was absolutely right - more is not always better.

What's most apparent to me now that I'm done is that the extra elements would have just been noise, so to speak. You can really appreciate the beauty of whatever element is most important to you if you aren't trying to pack too many clowns into the circus, to use an old GW metaphor. I'm really happy with the outcome. Good luck and hope your health and your bathroom are looking up!

dani_m08 thanked smalloldhouse_gw
  • dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Flo Mangan - So, would you use the the hexagons in the same Carrara on the shower floor/niche - or is doing the one with the darker/lighter grays okay? Only on the shower floor?

For the wall behind the vanity - if I don’t use the blue/green/aqua tile - would you do a marble mosaic that has the same color as the mosaic used in the niche/shower floor?

For the front of the ADW - if I use the same Carrara - I think I should buy it in a larger size in order to simply stack it up the wall. My field tile for the shower walls is 3x9 - the middle part of the ADW that runs up to the ceiling is 14” wide. I guess I could vertically stack the 3x9 tiles - but I’d have to edge it or something to figure out how to fill up a little less than 2” of space since 4x3 =12 (plus a little bit for grout lines).

Now I’m wondering if I should just use larger tiles in the shower . . .

I think I’m going to hit my “nurse call button“ and order a new IV bag of pain meds. . . 😂

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Hey! Pain control is important! Gee. I hope you don’t have serious health issue! No fun. I guess it’s serious enough since you have been admitted. Tarts me up- those were mighty fun words about Jan and me. Thanks. I will try putting a board together for you so you have “vision” rather than words. Bbl. sleep!

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Flo Mangan - I second the comment posted by tartenmeup (who, while not a designated “pro” - also has provided helpful advice in many discussions I’ve read over the past several months). I would add Beth H onto the list.

Unfortunately, I‘ve been sort of a “frequent flyer” at the hospital over the past several years. Between the ages of 19 - 38, I had over 18 surgical procedures + 10+ hospital admissions + way too many trips to the ER to even try to count (one health issue I have causes me to have severe allergic reactions without warning - and go into anaphylactic shock). I thought things were getting better (=better management) - I was finally able to move back into my house several months ago after being basically bedridden for a few years (and living elsewhere). This is my third admission in under 4 months :(

Back to the fun stuff - I truly appreciate your help/advice. I also apologize for the confusing post. First, the pain meds + lack of sleep = fuzzy thinking. Second, when it’s your renovation, I think sometimes it‘s easy to forget that others aren’t intimately involved in it - and it becomes easy to skip over important details/omit important information.

Looking forward to hearing from you later!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Lordy, you have a heck of a personal battle! Wishing you the best. I put this board together. Let me explain. I pulled “ideas” together of what I might do. I pulled mostly porcelain for two reasons. For visual presentation purposes the colors are better. Second, they are relatively easy to find at Lowe’s. These concepts can be repeated with Carrera marble and other products. I like some contrast in small rooms, so I put medium Gray toned 6” hexagon tile on main floor. I used black matte single faucet (not sure what hardware finishes you prefer?). I used a gray quartz on vanity atop white vanity. Then in shower, I used smaller carerra hexagon tiles with medium gray grout. I like a real Carrera marble threshold stone. And larger format porcelain 12x24 Carrera look wall tiles. I don’t like niches so I use small teak shower benches or I have my tile guy put corner shelves in for products and one lower smaller one for easier leg shaving. You will probably need a finish edge so whatever tile you select, make sure they provide trim edges such as pencil tile or bullnose. If not, you will need a Schluter trim of some type for outside edges of shower depending on design of shower. You asked what I would do. I would use the best porcelain tile that replicates Carrera best for shower. I just don’t have the dedication to maintain marble. I would use real stone wherever I could but the new porcelains use very high tech replication of materials so that is up to you. Of course, you have to keep your health foremost in your mind!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I put a cutout of that watery look tile in this idea board just to show while it is gorgeous, it just doesn’t work with the other elements.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

The small hexagon is for the shower floor.

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Flo Mangan - thanks for putting the mood board together for me. I have considered using a porcelain marble look alike - I just never saw one that I liked how it looked in person. I started a thread several weeks ago when I was second guessing the layout for my bathroom, and Beth H shared several tile options. I‘ve actually ordered some honed black marble hexagons for the shower floor so I could see how I liked them with the slate tile floor tile - but they haven’t arrived.

I was set on using Carrara hexagons on the shower floor for MONTHS - they were actually the very first material I selected for this renovation. BUT - I started worrying about using them after all of the discussions I’ve read on here and JBF re: discoloration issues. That’s part of the reason I purchased the combination marble hexagons that I’ve posted above. I thought that if I used gray/dark gray marble + Dolomite, it would be a “safer” option (water wouldn’t show as much on the gray tiles + the Dolomite is more durable than Carrara). Maybe I don’t need to worry so much about using the Carrara since I know that my shower pan has been built correctly + I’ve purchased quality Carrara tiles. I know that doesn’t completely eliminate the possibility of having issues - but maybe it lessens it enough that I should go ahead and stick with my initial choice?

As far as finishes - so far I’ve purchased chrome for my shower fixtures + sconces (I have 4 different styles - I’ll save that for later!). I’ve actually thought a lot about incorporating matte black - I am looking for a wall mount faucet for my bathtub (the faucet location just changed a couple days ago). I would then need to repeat the matte black finish somewhere else in the bathroom. I could replace my sink faucets with matte black ones.

My mirrors look like this

I could reorder them with matte black - but it’s such a small part of the mirror - not sure that it‘s worth it.

I haven’t decided yet about whether I’m going to use hardware on my vanity drawers. I can either add some or the guy who is making it for me said that he can just add the spring opening function (not sure I’m referring to it by the right name). It’s a floating white oak vanity. I should have my stain samples in a few days. I thought about painting it - but I thought that the stained wood added a warm element against all of the marble.

I need to order my countertop for the vanity early next week. I didn’t want to order anything until I figured out the tile situation. The fabricator told my GC that he would get it turned around quickly for me.

I also have quite a bit of other marble mosaic options for the wall behind the vanity. Do you think I should add one of those there? I’d like to use tile on that wall (shocker, right??!) vs. painting it. I don’t know if it would be okay to do so as long as it incorporated the Carrara marble (no colors). Thoughts?

Would it be okay to do a different shape Carrara tile on the ADW - as long as it matched the rest of the Carrara tile being used in the shower.

You and tartenmeup have me questioning my shower niche. I will have a long recessed shelf on the wall behind the bathtub - I’m not planning on any decorative tile in it. It will be deeper and actually used for towels/storage + a few decorative items perhaps.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I can’t comment on the treatment of the ADW but think about your “lines of sight” into this room. So you will have views into the shower with glass walls with beautiful tiling so putting more distinctive tiling on the ADW might distract the eye and create visual confusion. Same with wall behind tub? I don’t have a drawing of the room so not 100% sure of lines of sight.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

As to hardware, chrome is pretty with Carrera. It gives a more formal look, so if that is desired it is fine. I would think about wood vanity for similar reasons. It’s yet another material. Not everything can be “the star”.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

If you already have thought these decisions through then go forward with confidence. You have done more research than most so good luck.

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

But you type well and a lot for being on IV pain meds! I have 3 tiles in my shower, I think it’s gorgeous

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

The mirrors are great! I am not pushing porcelain. I know you have made decisions. That’s fine. And Beth H is my tile guru! Just trying to help you visualize colors, patterns etc so you can more effectively edit.

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Flo Mangan - to be clear, I didn‘t feel like you were “pushing porcelain” - it’s just when I saw it, it made me think about marble vs. porcelain again. It was really just me “thinking out loud” about my decision. I truly appreciate your help. While I do understand that my opinion matters on whether I like the above materials, you are the professional and I really respect your opinion/advice. Also, while Beth may be your tile guru - you definitely have a great eye for color/materials/patterns. I’ve been quietly following along on a LONG discussion thread where you’ve spent a TON of time helping someone out. I can’t remember the user‘s name right now - but it started with her living room. She has a lot of interesting artwork and some nice pieces of furniture. I’m sure that makes it much more fun for you!

I’m glad that you like my mirrors - they are the one item that I feel very confident about. I knew exactly what I wanted - and then just did a little online shopping! Very easy.

What do you think about these sconces?

I ordered this one to go over the mirror in a different bathroom that I’m working on right now also - but in brushed nickel. My daughter and son-in-law both really like it and said that I should use as a sconce/vertically in master bathroom. If I use matte black for the tub faucet, maybe I could do three of these in matte black on sides of mirror? I don’t have enough room to use four/two per mirror (82 2/3”)

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I almost forgot - I have three of these (George Kovacs) also

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Thanks for your kind words. Hope you are recovering and get stablized soon. As to bathroom lighting, I am not a fan of the Edison type bulbs. They are harsh on my skin and kind of piercing. So I avoid those. I like the Kovac one because it reall diffuses light and coordinates with the mirrors nicely but not sure you have the width space needed for them. I think the ones in your last photo would be great but probably need slimmer version. Something like this could work above or beside. The base plate is under 5” in width which is about as slim as you can get.

• dani_m08
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Flo Mangan - My daughter is actually the one who picked out the lights with the Edison bulbs. While I think they look nice, I definitely agree that they’re not the type of light I want shining on my face in my bathroom mirror!

I need to measure the first Kovacs one - it may be too wide. I can’t remember the size of the top of my head. While I like the Kovacs light in the last photo, I actually like the shape of the light in the photo you posted better. I wasn’t sure about the tapered shape when I ordered it.

Looks like I’m heading home from hospital tomorrow morning!! Fingers crossed!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH