SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_584264861

Washers Headache! I’m so scared!

Blue
2 years ago

I’m such a baby... I need massive help, seriously. I have been doing research on ends to figure out the best washer to add to my home. I’ve never owned a washer before and everything I’ve read frightens me; from mold, to leaks, to hoverboard failers... ripped clothes! Such a headache.

Can someone please just tell me which washer to buy. A solid, reliable one that actually won’t end up being a “nightmare purchase”.

I currently purchased a Samsung
27 in. 5.0 cu. ft. High Efficiency Champagne Top Load Washing Machine with Active Wash Jet, ENERGY STAR - Impeller

Model# #WA50T5300AC

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung-27-in-5-0-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Champagne-Top-Load-Washing-Machine-with-Active-Wash-Jet-ENERGY-STAR-WA50T5300AC/313560591

I have a 5 day cancel window left and I just feel in my soul & gut I’m headed for a disaster!

Or at least say I pick a good one... eh!

THANK YOU!

I someone, anyone just to give me a link, name, and model number of a solid washer. Please help a confused person in need of direction.

Comments (89)

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Anne Duke

I noticed there not the prettiest. I was totally looking at the whole picture. Especially because my washer is visible to guests but when a washer works... it works! Applauses to the creator of closet doors!

Thank you for sharing!

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I was sold on the LG FL WM4000 but sadly I just don’t have the space. Unless I want to sacrifice my closet doors. Looking at my second options now...

The FL washers become smaller C.U’s without the extra depth. Which means longer wash times to finish my loads...

My heart wants a FL but my situation says TL.

Does anyone know of a great TL on the market. So far I’ve only read about Speed Queen’s and the LG in Kculbers post (just trying to figure out the model).

I currently have an agitator in my top load and was switching to one without. Do you think it’s a good idea to abandon a top loaders agitator?

I’m going back to refer to jwvideo post!

• Related Discussions

Bosch Vision $400 rebate coupon- should I be scared?

Q

Comments (8)
    I called and was told it was a $200 rebate on Vision washers. I did see on the "abes" link above the $400 rebate (mfg). Can ANYONE tell us how to find the correct information and is this until the end of Feb, 2010? I need more info as I need to make a decision tomorrow. I bought a Whirlpool, they took the first one back, said to go ahead and use the 2nd one, but not happy with it. I've been offered a Frigidaire 8000, but that seems to be an older model (they've had on the floor for a while). I guess basically, I'm ready to find out ANYTHING about these 2 washers. Thanks very, very much!
    ...See More

tmi :o now i'm scared about my tl he purchase

Q

Comments (18)
    I've done two loads of laundry in the new Cabrio HE top-loader. I don't think I have anything negative to say about how the clothes cleaned. I did use more detergent than this forum says one should. Using Tide HE, I filled to the "1" mark. It was late, I was tired and well, it kinda looked like a 1 tbls measure (g) It's not. It's at least 2x that if not more. The first load felt a little "thick" after drying. Towels weren't "crunchy" tho. I may not have even noticed it if I wasn't looking for a difference. The work clothes load (jeans and dark tees) felt ok. I'm going to reduce it to 1 tbls and hope that the over powering scent is less as well. Didn't add Oxy or vinegar to either load. Couldn't remember which dispenser the vinegar went in and had already loaded the clothes when I read that the oxy powder would have to go in the bottom of the washer BEFORE the clothes if using liquid soap. The vinegar goes in the fabric softener dispenser, right? 1/2 cup? I don't use liquid fs or the sheets. I don't care for the feeling of "limp" clothes and I know it creates a build up, not to mention towels aren't as absorbent. All my clothes washing life, I've washed towels, washcloths, underwear, socks together. I did it with this first load too, on the normal cycle, warm/cold, high spin. I saw no twisting issues. Can I/should I not combine these articles for washing in this washer? It would result in having to do more loads if I have to separate the towels. That's more time, water and energy. I washed the work clothes in hot/cold, heavy duty, high spin. I normally do NOT wash work clothes on heavy duty, just longer on the normal cycle and they come clean. What I do NOT like...I do NOT Like the locking lid! WHY in the world does a top loader HAVE to lock?? I know, I can pause it and look inside but I *need* to see it in action (lol) Really, I do! I remember seeing a YouTube video about how to disable the auto-lock feature on this machine....hummmmmmmm Can you REALLY see thru the clear lid? Seems like water and steam would prevent being able to clearly see the action. I have both water taps wide open. With the first load, I never felt warm water (I checked SEVERAL times). It was mildly cool. With the heavy duty load, the hot water didn't kick in till the "wash" cycle. The soak cycle was, again, mildly cool (what our cold water is here in Texas this time of year). The washer it's self is level (checked with a level) and doesn't move AT all when manually rocked back and forth, but, during the high speed spins, it vibrates pretty bad. It's not walking but it definitely jitters around and makes me worry about the integrity of the machine after so much of that kind of vibration. Yes, the clothes were distributed evenly. lulundave, can you "add" water to a cycle if you feel it needs more or just reset it to high, med, or low levels? You said it (Cabrio with agitator) has "just a few more bells and whistles". What does it have that the HE doesn't? Also, it doesn't appear to be an Energy Star machine :( Are HEs the only Energy Star rated washing machines? Thanks for ALL the comments and help. I truly appreciate the time everyone took to reply :) Monica
    ...See More

Do I Really Want a Front Load Washer? If So, What Brand?

Q

Comments (21)
    Here is a trick to get as hot as possible wash for your whites if your water heater is a distance away from your front load washer without an internal heater. Just purge the water line. A similar principle as running your kitchen faucet a minute on hot before running the dishwasher. With the washing machine empty, start it on a hot wash and let water enter the tub until the window steams a bit (it takes mine about 20-30 seconds.) Stop the machine and cancel the cycle. Start it again set at "drain and spin," and cancel it as soon as the tub drains. Then load the machine with clothes, reset for hot wash and you are set. This whole little process takes about one minute and I pretreat any stains on the clothes while I do it, so no time wasted. And you get a piping hot wash for whites. A heater in a washer can heat the water much hotter than what is delivered by the water heater, good for sanitizing laundry. But I wouldn't advise passing up a good deal on a machine without a heater just to get a true hot wash for a load of whites when you can this.
    ...See More

Help! I'm feel like I'm going crazy...long

Q

Comments (55)
    Ladies may I join you in this discussion? I am a young healthy looking 62. And today is my first visit here after looking up adrenaline I sure understand better now That's what I have going on MY NATURE'S PACE MAKER.working. Adrenaline After a stay in icu heart recently everyone finally agreed i am mot crazy.it was.my heart. The docs installed is a device catch my heart acting badly is a heart tracker like halter monitor. Under my chest muscles on top of my heart. I can cause it record what just happened.. iam write with excitment because your stories are all so familiar. These stories for me begin after mitral valve repair. 7 years ago. Basic problem ..unless the doc sees the heart behaving badly they deny the problem. All this time we never could catch it Last doc said bluntly if we dont see it didnt happen. You must to er Well recent at 230 am it woke me up, just as you have described. I went directly to the er They caught the serious thing! Arrithemia and more then two days in icu. Now meds have slowed my heart from 70 to 52 while docs decide what to do. Last night I realized I was having an adreilin rush. The same rush I went to a neurologist for help. Over a year and half. Often it also affect my skin. Goose bumps crawling feeling all day long! Well have I got news for him.I was not crazy about that either. my gp I visited last month just to say. I know you don't know what is wrong but I still got it. Knows too I sat in neros office two months ago ,,,same thing. I said dr i just want you know ME when I end up in er..and i need you. well it was er straight to icu. Home now with electrical issues. Last last night meds have my average at 52 bpm.it woke me. 2 3 am. I use my tricks to get back to sleep.as soon as felt sleep coming on the stomach feeling spread. It woke me up heart pounding.sweat .out of breath!!! Happened several times . then checked average heart rate on my Garmin. 48. Average 48 so i was probably lower. Maybe 45! My natural pace maker kicked in every time sleep lowered bpm and I was short on air. Natural pace maker? Adrenaline can't wait to see what was recorded on my device Thank you body! Now I think i know what as going on for long time hidden from doc view. Electric shock adrenaline style
    ...See More
  • Laundry Mich
    2 years ago

@Blue, you can actually go to your local Lowes Home Improvement, and see the Maytag Commercial machine on display. Click this link, and check your local stores stock, before driving out.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maytag-Commercial-Grade-3-5-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Top-Load-Washer-White/1002579758

You can also visit the Speed Queen website. https://speedqueen.com/where-to-buy/ and visit a local dealer to see the machines in person.

I'm telling you. Save yourself the hassle, and stick with what you know. You want a machine with a agaitor, and that uses deep fills. The machines are effective, they clean your clothes in less than 40 minutes (vs Hour and a Half on newer agitator-less) and are time proven. Not to mention, a washer like the Speed Queen or Maytag Commercial, if used properly will last 15 - 20 Years, if not longer.

One thing that I particularly love about a conventional top loader -- is the ability to SOAK clothes. You can't even do that anymore in most new top loaders (they'll drain the water after 10mins) or Front Loader.

• Laundry Mich
    2 years ago

As for the clothes ripping, I personally haven't seen a washer that does that. But, I will say, that some machines are rougher on clothes.

But the blame goes both ways, IMO. Yes, a Agitator washer can be harsh, but it doesn't have to be.

One particular model that I know had problems, was a line of washers from the Kenmore and Whirlpool brand that had the nickname "Shredmore". The machine offered cycles as long as 14 minutes, on heavy agitation.

Now, this can be great for fuller loads, or extremely soiled clothes, but the agaiton is just excessive for a everyday load of normally soiled laundry. And, if you were to consistently run this cycle. In as little as 6 loads, a shirt could begin to look fairly worn, and pilled.

The reality is, in 99% of cases, all you need is a 5-8 Minute long cycle, to clean a load of everyday soiled clothes, in a average top loader. And when you go past that, fibers can begin to swell, and become damaged, which makes things look worn.

The same thing goes for Most Front Loaders, and Agitatorless Top Loaders. I know a lot of people who have problem with pilling, especially with cotton-blends, and certain lacey items. Some have seen their entire wardrobes become pilled, and worn. But the common element is they tend to use cycles, like the Heavy Soil or Extended for every cycle. And because, these clothes are all brushing up against each other, with limited water, and combined with zippers and other elements, they get attacked.

• Laundry Mich
    2 years ago

@Blue, one last thing. I have to ask, do you like your current machine at all? Beyond the fact that it's dated, do you like the style and efficiency of it? I'm just wondering.

• luna123456
    2 years ago

You might also look at compact Laundry. Miele would be the top brand here. It would push your budget up. We have a Miele washer/dryer set and are very happy. 6000 hours on the washer and 3700 hours on the dryer. Zero problems.

They would easily fit your space as well.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Blue: My LG washer model: WT5270CW, high efficiency 4.9 co ft. LG dryer DLG4971W 7.3 cu ft. Washer has stainless drum and is quiet. Clothes come out great. No issues. I purchased both in 2016.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

We don't know the details of Blue's existing Kenmore without a model number or photo. People often misestimate the age of appliances unless they bought it new and have a sales receipt to reference. I see it all the time in ads on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

Regards to 1 tablespoon of detergent, that would never work for me except on the smallest of loads that aren't much soiled. I routinely use 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) to 2.5 of liquid on large/full loads (plus a water softening additive, and Biz powder if a grungy load needs it). I like Cheer powder for some loads, and dose 2 or 3 tablespoons on the smallest loads, up to 8 or 10 tablespoons on full-capacity loads. I don't usually wash anything until I'm almost out of a given type of clothes or linens ... except bedding (sheets, blankets). A typical load of shirts may be 20+ items, for example. I use bath towels several times and may not wash whites (bath/kitchen linens & ankle socks) for a month.

• jwvideo
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Blue -- Dadoes brings up a further point for your laundry education.

To be clear, the 1 Tbsp. recommendation that I mentioned above was only in regards to using concentrated liquid detergent on a medium sized load in the LG WM3900/4000 front loading models we were discussing. Doses will be different for different sized loads in larger or smaller washers and different kinds of washer, whether you use liquid or powder detergent, and also affected by how hard or soft your water is. A modicum of judgment and some experimentation will be required.

I think Dadoes is describing his practices with his top-loading Fisher & Paykel models(s). To maintain the proper concentration of detergent in the wash, you need more detergent in a top loader that may be using 10 to 15 gallons of water for a wash cycle versus with front loader that may be using only 5 or 6 gallons for the washing part of the cycle. BTW, top loaders and front loaders differ in how they move detergent-infused water into and through the laundry, which is why they employ different amounts of water.

Dadoes also emphasizes the importance of sorting laundry loads into similar types of wash. To which I will add the point that many washers (TL and FL) these days use sensors to adjust water levels to laundry load size and weight. Also, using too little detergent is as bad as using too much. Now, the detergent dose-ing does not have to be precise down to fractions of teaspoons or milliliter. If you do like that degree of precision, it is possible to do on the Miele washers that Luna mentioned.

The Miele's, btw, have surprising capacity despite their compact size. By way of example, owners report and online videos show washing king size down comforters/duvets in them. However, the Mieles are priced way beyond your $900 budget. If you look into them and decide you like one, anyway, be aware that Miele runs a tighter ship than even Apple when it comes to parts and service. The standard advice here is to check on the availability of Miele factory service techs in your area and don't buy a Miele if you can't readily get factory servicers where you live. You might go a long time without ever needing your Miele sreviced or repaired, but if you do, you want it serviced by somebody with the factory diagnostic equipment.

On another subject, AnneDuke, Mdln and LaundryMich suggested you look at Speed Queen's TR series of top-load washers. (LaundryMich also suggested a Maytag Commercial which I think is probably referring to the MVWP575.) A TR washer -- there are three models --- might be the best fit for your space, being less than 26" wide and only about 28" deep as you specified.

But, be aware that researching TR washers is going to be more of a trip down a rabbit hole than with most washers. Remember what I said above about laundry discussions getting as highly charged as religious and political sectarianism? True in spades for discussions of TR series washers. The TR washers use a different (and rarely used) wash mechanism where the tub and agitator move in unison. (The last time somebody tried that kind of design, it was called an "agi-tub" and some folks use that name for the TR design, too.)

There is honest debate over and conflicting evidence on the effectiveness and ineffectiveness of the design. Some youtube videos show it does very poorly on large items like jeans and sheets --- such as this one from Lorain Furniture and this one from CNET --- where another might show a TR machine managing to do pretty well with a load of muddied jeans, such as this video from Kirk Rivas at Appliance Associates. Some users buy a TR and hate it. Others, like AnneDuke find it works well for them.

The problem with reading reviews like hers is not what she reports but with some of the responses. There is something about Speed Queen discussions that attracts a sometimes rabid sectarianism, a sort of one-true-church of old school top-loading that sees the TR models as apostasy. (Doesn't help, either, that Speed Queen retaliated by cancelling Lorain Furniture's dealership contract, and then got caught deleting some unfavorable on-line user reviews while generating some astro-turf user videos.) That argument has spilled over onto satisfied users who, like AnneDuke, have to put up with some undeserved abuse for reporting that a TR works well enough for her. For another example of this, have a look at this recent thread at AutomaticWasher.org. :https://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?86842_23

Further complicating your research, product evaluators including Consumer Reports also ranked the TR series as about the poorest cleaners of any current top-loading model. Speed Queen made some upgrades which basically were to lengthen the cycle times. According to Consumer Reports, this improved the washing ability from a grade of "Poor" to a still sub-par "Fair." But, here's the thing to bear in mind about those rankings from product evaluators like CNET, Reviewed, and CR: they all use the same standardized test protocol which scores washer performance on extreme stain removal --- remember my joke about washers being designed for cleaning the worst case scenarios of the family of wine-makers, hog butchers and coal-miners? That's what the testing measures and why those results may be less informative than might be assumed. For those who rarely need such extreme stain removal, isn't the test promoting unnecessary over-washing?

If you are looking into the TR washers, the concerns I would suggest you focus on would be with your wish to be able to run six loads in a single, manageable laundry day and whether a TR can clean the coverlets, quilts and comforters that you mentioned. WIll a six-load wash-day still be feasible for you with the longer wash cycles and the longer drying times needed with the not-so fast spin-dry? (The not-so-fast spin dry leaves a wetter load for drying; not a problem with your old washer because of its short cycle times, but more of a problem when a washer has much longer cycle times and still leaves laundry as wet as before.) Will your quilts and comforters fit? Will a TR fully wet and wash them or leave parts of them floating unwashed on top?

• dadoes
    2 years ago

My current daily-use washer is an HE/impeller toploader. It can operate both in low-water and deep-fill modes (although deep-fill is variable per the sensed load size, not to the brim of the tub). I use the cited dosages for large loads in both HE and deep-fill mode. Water level is lower in HE mode but the soil level concentration is higher in that volume of water so an appropriate detergent dosage is needed to handle it. I used 10 tablespoons of Cheer powder, 3 tablespoons of STPP, and 5 tablespoons of Biz powder the last time I ran a load (21 shirts) in my spare non-HE agitator washer. :-)

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@dadoes

According to documents left by the previous owner the broken Kenmore I currently have is Part of the Kenmore Elite Washer series.
    it say Product: Washer, 0800/U1300 Model Number: 11027042600 which was purchased at Sears. *2704

I normally use liquid detergent and the measurements inside the cap/cup. I do not have it down to a science but I try to guesstimate how much I need. Normally filling it up to line 3. I feel like I have come along way from just filling up a whole cup and pouring it in, but I’m not as advanced as others.

• Laundry Mich
    2 years ago

I'm just estimating here, but I would have to guess that machine was made around 2009/2010. It would appear to be a HE Top Loader with a Conventional Agitator and Lid Lock. I'm going to guess further, and say, the "rust" is around the bleach dispenser? Just curious.

Currently, your cycle times average about 40 minutes, with the Heavy Cycles & White Cycles averaging a Hour.

My thought is this -- if you are going to try and do 6 loads of Laundry in a day, your going to be very slowed down by a machine that takes a hour and a half on average. I would really focus on that mosty, when considering your options.

Getting back to my original point though, do you like your current machine, and how it works? Do you want a front loader?

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Ahh. I was expecting a unit of a different (older style) drive mechanism. It's a Whirlpool-built machine that uses Fisher & Paykel's drive system (known as SmartDrive) developed in the mid 1990s. Whirlpool badged them under the Kenmore, Whirlpool, and Maytag brands. There were also models with a low-profile impeller instead of an agitator with centerpost. These with the centerpost agitator were on the market for a shorter time period. The model number indicates 2007 with year of introduction being 2006. Serial numbers are coded for the year and week of factory production.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

@Blue, if I was in your situation, I would cancel your current washer that you are waiting for and buy this one instead https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amana-3-5-cu-ft-Top-Load-Washer-with-Dual-Action-Agitator-White/1003201568

Reason being that Samsung makes nice phones and TVs, not so great with appliances.

I have space constraints too and I bought a Speed Queen TL washer 5 years ago as it fits in my house. I wouldn't buy one today as the design has been changed and price has gone up considerably. But, the Amana is a basic top loader with an agitator (what you are used to) and the learning curve would be slight for you. It might not last 25 years, but you could probably get some solid years out of it if you don't overload it and treat it well otherwise. It's within your budget and leaves you some money leftover.

You'll have to check out the specs and double check if the measurements agree with your space of course. Hope that helps.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

The Amana above is Whirlpool's newer mechanical design introduced in 2010 to replace a previous design produced from 1981 through approx 2012. Amana is a Whirlpool brand, came along when they bought Maytag in 2006. The agitator is the same style they used on the previous mechanical design, it's very effective.

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@luna123456 @vinmarks @dadoes @c9pilot @jwvideo @laundry Mich @ann marks @kculbers
    Hi everyone! As you know I have been in a pickle for a while now. Today I finally CANCEL my previous purchase. Last night I joined the CR and now I’ve been able to use it as a reference. Thank you for the suggestion!

Currently, I’m thinking about buying the LG 4.5 cu. ft. HE Ultra Large Top Load Washer with ColdWash, 6Motion & TurboDrum Technology in White, ENERGY STAR (Impeller)
    Model: ##WT7100CW

It has great ratings on CR and is just an 1.38” bigger than my old appliance which I’m hoping won’t be to much of a problem.

The only thing I’m currently suspicious about are positive comments of the machine on the CR. I thought the consumer report only allowed paid memeber and consumers to leave reviews. I noticed that the positive reviews that are displayed are outsourced by LG.com. That’s cheating. So I’m a little nervous about making this my final decision.

The second option I noticed was another LG model #wt7305cv

27 in. 4.8 cu. ft. Mega Capacity Graphite Steel Top Load Washer, Agitator, with TurboWash3D and Wi-Fi Connectivity (agitator)

So both are two different styles of washing. The second option is over my budget by $100 but not so bad. Both are LG models which seems to be an ok Brand of this chat. No one seems super strongly opposed to them.

I really love the look and wish other Brands had similar high rated machines. I’m still finding that no machine is perfect and I’m almost thinking of just buying a cheap machine and replacing it when a superior washing machine comes out. I feel like covid has companies holding off on the market. Customers have been complaining left and right about the machines currently out with no solutions given.

To those of you who love your washer, I’m so happy for you! Unfortunately, I can not seem to find any of your models available or hands down I would just buy the same models you own. Save me the search.

I’ve checked out Miele (small capacity washers) worried about fitting king sized quilts and comforters. I know many suggest not using personal washers to wash them anyway. I’m definitely taking that suggestion with a whole heart, but I know sometimes people just want to wash in the convenience of their own home.

I checked out Maytag. I am in love with the FL Maytags but can’t find one that will accommodate my space. Looking at the TL Maytags... They seem to now get that good of a reputation or maybe by now all of my information is melting into a confusing pile of data in my mind. I did see 1 (yes one) complaint of a Maytag TL growing black mold in an unseen space. I don’t know the full story on that but sounds scary. Has anyone personally owned a Maytag TL washer? If not I think I’ll pass personally.

Speed Queen is a fan favorite. It surprisingly doesn’t have the best overall score. LGs are ranked higher. I am aware that the rankings are based on several different factors and looking at Speeds Queens Data; I must say it looks promising. I did however have trouble finding one I liked.

Just looked and found Speed Queen

Speed Queen TR5000WN Washing Machine

So I guess I have three in the running. Any advice???

Sorry for long essay posts. Just want everyone to know the where I am in my process. THANK YOU EVERYBODY!

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@jwvideo

Oh after reading your explanation on TR washers just not. I’ll make the Speed Queen washer my last choice.

BUT how do you feel about the two LG choices... I’m no wine maker, soccer player, construction worker. From a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the filthiest) I’m a 4! I just wear a lot of clothes for no reason and have big amounts to wash at the end of the week. jeans and blouses. Not so much t-shits. So a mix between delicate & rough fabric with mild to no pet hair. I run a relatively clean house hold.

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@dadoes

So you have an Impeller TL. One of the reasons that I was stressed out with the previous model I purchased was because I was nervous about not having a agitator in a top load but sounds like your doing just find. Granted there are many options to chose from and not all are made equal.

Do you add buckets of water to combat against the lack of water in the HE cycles? Do you notice your clothes coming out with permanent wrinkles or extreme wrinkles do you aggressive wash spins? Do you need to babysit your machine when in use to make sure it’s not tangling clothes or adding extra time to wash cycles? Honestly I’ve heard every complain in the book from clothes going in coming out looking the same. Is not having a agitator that bad when a good amount of you do without.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Laundry Mich

I’m literally such an unpicks person when it comes to laundry. Since my clothes aren’t terribly filthy or and don’t typically smell to begin with; I don’t tend to notice much issues. Pet hair is the only thing I see left behind besides occasionally stains (which I never treat). I’m not the biggest fan of harsh chemicals; I try to minimize my exposure. I use to use lint sheets back in the day but just rely solely on my dryer.

I put up with my machine because of convenience and lack of motivation in regards to spending money for a better replacement. The motto on my house is ( if it’s not broken & still works, let it be). When I do replace stuff I’m a “go big, or go home person”, which is often results in hit or miss purchases.

I had little to no problems with my agitator besides the occasional item getting stuck around it.

The noise from the machine was annoying but we closed the door to the room.

The uncontrollable rocking and becoming unbalanced is what gave me headaches and stress. The machine would cut off and need me to just resume it; which was pretty tolerable. I was more concerned for neighbors than anything. I WILL SAY... the Rocking and vibrating was what caused it to ultimately fall apart. I load my washes to the Max limit but towards the end it couldn’t even bare that half the time.

Time limitations is whatever to me honestly. My laundry was 39 minutes but I love an extra rinse option! I always added extra rinse (because I like avoided harsh chemicals) which added 19 additional minutes. So I’m use to wash times of 58 minutes. I can’t imagine having crazy wash time of more than that with added extra rinses though.

The Rust was around the top of the bleach dispenser and along the edges of where the door closes. I close the machine lid after the wash is done... which now I’m thinking is a BIG mistake BUT the previous owner must have done the same because the damage was done before it was gifted to me.

I want a front loader but it will not fit in my 27” by 33” laundry space because I have to be able to close the closet door and I’ve read washers need space reserved behind them.

• HU-529826092
    2 years ago

Maytag is a good brand. Can’t go wrong with them. Whatever you choose opt for the extended warranty.

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@sea sea @dadoes

The Amana looks reasonable actually. I do not know to much about a porcelain drum though? The price is right and people claim it’s a less expensive substitute for Maytag and speed queen.

The over loading part may be a challenge for me. I just love squeezing everything in so I’m not washing all day, but I hear your warning.

I’m not sure if the reviews are accurate and unfortunately it’s not popping up on CR either.

But I will put it in the running!

What do you all think about Amana

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amana-3-5-cu-ft-Top-Load-Washer-with-Dual-Action-Agitator-White/1003201568

Any opinions? Would you do it over the LG’s and are there any concerns about using “porcelain” drums? I have not seen many on the market; beside this one actually.

• Laundry Mich
    2 years ago

I personally have no problem with the Amana, and would greatly prefer it over the LG. The biggest downside I could see, is the Automatic Temperature Control which will take your "Hot" to Warm and Warm to Cold -- but you'll see that on most of the newer machines.

Just be aware, while the Amana will work perfectly fine -- it won't last forever. You should budget replacing it, in 5 - 7 years. Where -- if you purchased the Speed Queen, or Maytag Commercial TL -- you could expect it to last for at least 10 - 15 years.

• Laundry Mich
    2 years ago

@Blue, responding to your previous comment, the Maytag Commercial Top Loader is very different than the new HE Impeller Top Loaders, and Front Loaders being sold from the same brand. It's like comparing a apples to oranges.

For what it's worth though, my mother traded in her Electrolux Front Loader for the Maytag Commercial Top Loader. While she did have clean clothes, her main selling point was, she wanted much faster cycles. She also told me, she didn't believe any of their bath towels had ever been very clean.

She choose the Maytag Commercial TL over a Speed Queen, a little over a year ago, and still loves it. She hasn't had any problems, and their clothes come out very clean. Additionally, she's also in the process of selling her home, and told me she's planning on buying the exact same model again.

As for LG, I honestly, just despise that brand as I've stated before. I've seen so many issues over the years, and personal experiences that have left a terrible taste in my mouth.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2439570/lg-washer-letters-writing-text-on-buttons-worn-off#n=50

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2447151/mysterious-stains-on-white-clothing-lg-front-load#n=254

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2428442/lg-washer-shrinking-clothes-on-cold-please-help#n=82

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2437774/lg-washer-pounding-noise#n=65

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3479659/do-lg-washers-still-have-the-hammer-problem#n=62 

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2284805/hate-my-new-lg-washer-been-a-couple-months-though#n=16

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Laundry Mich

Do you happen to know your moms Maytag TL model?

You all recommend great products but every product you own is discounted or hard to find.

I like the Amana and speed Queen suggestions but both are under 4.0 cu which I find a set back personally.

I thought since LG front loaders were receiving a pass, maybe TL would as well. I see not, last thing I want is to go backwards.

What about whirlpool? No one has really mentioned whirlpool. A washer was brought to my attention today.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-4-7-cu-ft-White-Top-Load-Washing-Machine-with-Built-in-Water-Faucet-and-Stain-Brush-WTW5105HW/312450623

I moved this model to the top of my list!

I’m really hoping to place an order for something tomorrow... I’m running out of choices we’ve almost went through them all haha.

THANKS AGAIN!

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Blue, I have three HE toploaders, all different designs. The one currently in primary use is a 2009 Fisher & Paykel AquaSmart, which is the basis of or a sibling to (I'm not clear on the details of the arrangement Whirlpool had with F&P) the early Kenmore Oasis, Whirlpool Cabrio, and Maytag Bravos ... of which your current/old agitator model is also a sibling/variation.

In answer to your questions, no. It works and cleans very well. One reason IMO being that it's not an uber-size/capacity so the impeller is more effective. 3.7 cu ft, rated 7kg / 15.5 lbs. It can handle my queen-size comforter. Don't go out and try to find one, F&P no longer sells it on the U.S. market.

(The suspension rods are probably bad on your old machine, it's a common aging problem/repair on them. The WP design of the Amana of consideration is different but also is subject to failure of the suspension rods after some years depending on how heavy is the usage, unless maybe recent improvements have been made to them.)

• Laundry Mich
    2 years ago

@Blue, she has the MVWP575G Model. Like I said, she's had the washer for over a year. I don't believe there's been any changes to the design since she got it.

As for Whirlpool. You've actually been looking at two machines from the brand. The Amana, and Maytag -- are both manufactured by the company. With that said, Brand today, is meaningless. A company like Whirlpool which manufactures KitchenAid, Amanda, Maytag, Estate, Hotpoint and Jeenair (among more) can make both crappy and good machines. Even quality and design can vary greatly in a sub-brand like Maytag.

The Whirlpool you posted, is probably a decent machine. But, honestly, it wouldn't be something I would purchase. It looks fancy and shiny, but, if I was in the market for something with long cycles, I would just get another Miele Front Loader - like I had before.

https://www.mieleusa.com/e/w1-classic-front-loading-washing-machine-wwb-020-wcs-lotus-white-10971670-p

• armjim
    2 years ago

Have not read each and every response but I would go with the Amana that SEA SEA recommended. Based on the responses from the OP, she will not be happy with an impeller HE machine and a FL may be too much to have to figure out how to use. Sometimes simpler is better and alleviates the need for agonizing over a decision.

I did read about dosing and so forth. I just have to say I have been doing laundry since I was a kid and of course my entire adult life. Speaking only for me, I have learned by instinct and experience how much detergent to use. I don't measure beyond the scoop that comes with the product and have never used measuring spoons, even with my two FLs. I learned what too many suds do and what not enough detergent does not do. Seldom to never do I ever start the machine and put the detergent in the water before I add the load. I know with my washer how much water to set the level at and how much detergent and additive to use after I have put in the load to be washed. This is just what works for me and I am comfortable with it. It's like with FS-never would I use the amount the manufacturer recommends as it is too much and a waste, but it was something I had to learn, and even in my old age I learned from this forum to change the brand I was using to preserve my machine.

• luna123456
    2 years ago

@Blue

I think the problem you are having is you want high quality and reliability below $1000. It doesn’t exist anymore in a new washer. All of the models will be a compromise somewhere to meet that price point.

You have to accept that and then narrow to what fits your space.

Once you have what fits your space then make a decision.

The top two brands for reliability are Speed Queen and Miele. Speed Queen will be a top loader and Miele will be a front loader. Miele will have more features. They both should last a long time. They are built with quality in mind vs meeting a price point. The biggest difference will be Miele has a built-in water heater and speed Queen does not. I “personally” would never own a washer without an onboard heater.

• jwvideo
    2 years ago

@blue

If you are considering the Maytag Commercial TL model (MVWP575G) be sure to check the warranty terms listed for it at the retailer where you are shopping. Maytag offers it with a 5-year full factory warranty but, when sold by some of the big chains such as Lowe's, it might come with only a 1 year factory warranty. (Those chains' deals with Maytag apparently are to allow Lowe's et al. to sell you a third-party warranty extension.) There are some horror stories about that, this recent thread here being one of them: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6113104/maytag-washing-machine-mvwp575gw0-is-horrible-buyer-beware#n=15. For a mostly positive and very informative views of how the MVWP575 serves,, you could look for threads on AutomaticWasher where members (in particular, one with the screenname "Pinkpower4") who own or service them have posted in some detail as well as comparing it to other washers such as the Speed Queen "classic" pole agitator model, the TC5. Here's a thread to start with: https://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREADM.cgi?82490_9

Regarding luna's preference for machines with on-board water heaters, I don't think any top-loaders have them. Some folks are fine with that. If they can run a nearby faucet to get hot water in the lines to the washer. The greater volume of water in a TL won't lose as much heat as quickly as with the smaller volumes used by FL models. However, many current top load models have automatic temperature control systems that keep wash temperatures low unless you plumb in a way to cross-feed some hot water into the cold water inlet side or resort to dumping in buckets of heated water when you need hot washes You also may have to use cycles other than "normal" (sometimes called "eco-normal") which may be programmed to give you cold washes regardless of the temperature you select.

On a different subject, back to the questions I posed about the Speed Queen TR series (agi-tub) models and washing comforters, I just stumbled across this video while helping my neighbor look for a new washer this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFSWW441PYk

• Babs Fla
    2 years ago

Buy a Speed Queen and be done with it!

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

I have an 8 YO Speed Queen--AWN 412. No regrets/ no problems. I would buy it again.

• jwvideo
    2 years ago

To be clear, Speed Queen no longer offers residential TL washers quite like the ones Sea Sea and Ci_lantro have. The TL models in its current line-up are the three "TR" agi-tub models (Tr3, TR5 and TR7) and the TC5 model with a pole-agitator.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Speed Queen TC5 is essentially the same as the older units but has no water level / load size control for Small, Medium, Large, etc. The cycles are hard-coded for a default half-ish fill (varies a bit per which cycle), or 3 to 4.5 gals more with the Deep Wash option selected. It has rotary knobs on the panel but they are selectors for the computer board inside the panel. It has another board in the base to run the motor.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

Yes, just to be clear @Blue, I do have and love a Speed Queen TL AWN432 washer, but to reiterate what I posted above upthread, I would not buy one today due to the changes in it's design and the price increase. It's a rather rudimentary washing machine (which is what I wanted), but with the recent changes and the capacity limits I feel it's overpriced for what it is. Mine cost considerably less than current models. Basically, if I'm paying that much for an appliance, I want to get a little more function out of it--but that's just my feelings. I'd be in a quandary if I had to replace it now with my space restrictions...But that is why I recommended the Amana I did for you. From the way you describe how you do your laundry it could be a good match for you and your limited space, as long as you don't overload it as it's not built to commercial specifications.

The Amana was on my list of possible choices before I bought my Speed Queen. I researched long and hard without knowing about this laundry forum. I never thought about washing machines as much I had to back then to hopefully make a good choice. Anyway, the reason why I didn't choose the Amana was that I do a LOT of laundry. I've had repair men in the past tell me that I wore out my washing machines (top loaders) and from my not well laundry guru connected status at the time, it seemed that my needs were better suited with a commercial built washer. However, I would consider a Speed Queen FL as it seems it would fit in my house (biggest hurdle to overcome), it has commercial built standards and you can get a lot of laundry into the SQ FL. But I still think it's a rather high priced machine for not having an on board water heater...

You might have to take a few days off from thinking about and looking at washing machines as your mind is likely overwhelmed. Coming back to this after having other things to think about and do will do you good.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

Lots of good advice here. I'll say a few things:

- Blue, you're looking at quite a large washer. For how many people are you washing? I had a big front-load washer when my kids were still at home, and when it died I replaced it with something smaller /more like the size my mom had when I was growing up. Yeah, I can't do huge loads, but -- honestly -- with just me and my husband (and he's retired), I don't wash nearly as much as I used to. The space required by a machine does make a difference.

- I bought my new washer/dryer last summer, and I had to make my choices based upon what I could get. Thanks to Covid, stuff isn't coming in like you'd expect. I went through several renditions of, "We have that washer in the warehouse, but not the dryer" ... "We can maybe get that one two months from now." It was very frustrating.

- Pretty much any washer/dryer are going to do a decent job for you. I've never heard of machines ripping clothes; that's probably a matter of too much stuff shoved into the machine.

- How much do you care about bells and whistles? Me, I just want basic clean clothes: I want a basic cycle and a delicate cycle on my washer.

- I bought a top-of-the-line HE set about 15 years ago when my kids were still at home; my new set is small and very basic ... I am equally pleased with them.

- I much prefer a dryer vent that's "inside the door" rather than on top of the machine. Why? Because it's a reminder to clean it out EVERY SINGLE TIME you do a load.

- Do you want your dryer door to open to the left or the right? Note that most dryer doors can be reversed.

- Do you have a scratch-and-dent store nearby? You might be able to get a marked-down machine -- my mom did very well recently when she bought a new range: the huge scratch is hidden by the cabinetry, and her price was very good.

- You say your washer/dryer will be visible to guests? Consider going with a cool color (even if you have to paint it) or decals of some sort -- check out Pinterest.

- Be prepared to decide whether you want to buy the extended warranty. They will offer it to you, offer it to you, offer it to you, and offer it to you again. I wouldn't do it.

• armjim
    2 years ago

I agree with SEA SEA-I have the same Speed Queen as she has (mine is a 2017). If I had to replace it now I don't know what I would get. I absolutely do not want to put in as much time deciding on a washer as I would a piece of stereo equipment, but I feel like that is what I would have to do. I looked at the Amana, around $500, and it is similar in control to the current SQs, in that it looks like it is analog but it is in reality knobs that are computer controls. Don't sweat the details. Buy an affordable machine, wash your clothes, and, done.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

What I love about my SQ--it's analog. No error codes. No lid lock. Never has it gone for a walk with an unbalanced load. Plenty of room for a queen quilt & I can manage a queen comforter. Don't do comforters anymore anyway since DS moved into his own place. I can stop a load and leave it to soak. Infinite water level selector. Only complaint is that the lowest water level is sometimes more water than I need--like when I'm washing 8 pairs of wool socks. And the highest water level doesn't fill as high as the tub will accommodate...but I can over ride that by holding the water level selector past the highest setting and continue filling the tub up as high as I want to.

It does everything that I need it to do. I don't feel cheated nor do I pine for more bells & whistles. Oh yeah, zero learning curve. I have never cracked the cover of the Owner's Manual.

Yeh, SQ doesn't make my model anymore. If I needed another one, I would look for a used one.

• lmakofsky
    2 years ago

I have an LG front loader. I hate it. Not sure if the top loaders are similar. The washer always unbalances and takes a walk. It also sounds like a jet taking off at certain points in the cycle. For the dryer, we have to use “timed dry” in order for clothes to actually get dry and it gives an error code nearly every load. It’s about 2 years old. Bought it at Costco. Was the latest and greatest. Complained within the first week and Costco encouraged us to keep having lg service it basically until we were out of the return window then lg stopped coming for service calls because they determined it was a balancing issue not covered by warranty.

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@dadoes
    I am so surprised to hear you have three washers! But am glad to hear they are all HE top-loaders because that is what I ended up purchasing myself! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions and give me solid feedback! I really appreciated it and it helped me a lot! Wishing you continued success in your washing adventures.

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Armjim

I absolutely agree with all of your statements! I feel like I totally would have went with the Amana if it help more capacity. Even though like you said “ she will not be happy with an impeller He machine” I feel you may be right lol but I decided to take on the challenge! I feel like you never know unless you really try like you’ve stated “I have learned by instinct and experience...” ( taken out of context but probably will be so valid to my future learnings with my new washer). I appreciate your input and wish you continued learning! I to am very grateful for this forum; great find.

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Laundry Mich

It’s funny that you said “...brand today, is meaningless.” because that’s pretty much what the sales associate working at the store said to in so many words. Basically, he said people tend to go off of brand name but when a machine works, it works. I took those words to heart and followed my instincts. Even though no one mentioned the machine I ended up with. I finally made a purchase I’m content with.

Thank you so much for your wise words of wisdom! Please continue to help others; as you have helped me.

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Luna123456

You are absolutely correct! I had a couple of limitations! If money wasn’t an option and space was a set back I would have had an easier time selecting a new washer. Yup your right, “high quality and reliability below $1000. It doesn’t exist anymore in a new washer.”. After extensive research, hours of stress, purchasing consumer report, and back and forth with this forum. MY TIRED SELF SETTLED; I settled on one of those new washers lol. It was in my budget, fit my space, & keep tugging at my heart lol. I fully accepted the facts, and narrowed them down to what fit my space! Your like a guru!

I made my decision and either way it plays out, I’ll be ok. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to respond and be active in this chat! I really do appreciate! Next time I’m going to go BIG & splurge... keeping in mind my space always lol.

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@jwvideo

You have knowledge for days! If you aren’t a teacher or professional; you absolutely should be! Do you have a YouTube channel because I feel like I need to subscribe because it would probably be useful for my journey with my new washer.

Thank you for actually reading every single post in this forum before responding! Thank you for all your knowledgeable breakdowns! Please continue to help others! Really really appreciate the feedback!

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mrs Pete

Everyone has been so helpful! I totally appreciate everyone’s help.

New products really aren’t coming out and it’s kinda sad. The machine I’m looking for might have been in the next line up.

I am however pleased to report I found a washer that suits my needs! I agree with your optimism “pretty much any washer/dryer are going to do a decent job...” Here’s hoping and of course I took advantage of the extended warranty like you suggested!

Thank you for being apart of my washer dilemma. Wishing you happy washing!

• Blue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Imakofsky

LG is ranked high... so much higher than others. I feel victim to the hype about the Samsung washers. Then I started leaning to LG! People see the ratings and are then drawn to the machine. I tried to take every rated with a grain of salt, it seemed EVERY machine had its fair share of positive and negative reviews. Ultimately I did choose a washer with positive hype & negative hype. I’m not sure how my new washer will work out for me, nor do I know how any other washer would have worked out given I went with them. I just hope I have a good experience. I am so sorry to hear about your experience, I hope you get yours fixed or are able to maybe save it in offer up or something and get a new washer. Thank you so much for sharing! I hope you have a great week.

• Susan Davis
    2 years ago

Word on the street is the Speed Queen is long time reliable! You should check it out.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

@Blue

I have six washers that are usable, none are newer than 2009. Three HE toploaders, two non-HE agitator units, one 1980s GE portable. Several others stored that need refurbishing. Connections for three at a time. I occasionally swap different ones into use. I worked (service) at a local dealer many years ago and collect machines of various/different mechanical designs.

• jwvideo
    2 years ago

@Blue

Choosing a washer can feel like a graduate level research project. Such a relief to finally get a choice made, eh?

Now, it is going to be your turn to help others. Please let us know what you chose (the one that nobody mentioned here) and please report back how it works out for you. Don't worry that somebody might hate or mock your choice. Every appliance choice will be a mix of engineering tradeoffs and design compromises, both limited by budget. On the internet, there always will be somebody who will hate your choice regardless of your budget, space, etc., let alone whether the choice works well enough for you. Your report will help others in your position with their process of working through their own choices.

LOL on the YouTube channel. I only work behind cameras. I'm mostly retired, and most of what I'm doing these days is for musicians, choirs and dancers. No video help there for choosing appliances.

• cupofkindnessgw
    2 years ago

I had a Whirlpool gold that I purchased in 1991. Replaced it with a TL Speed Queen in 2016. We have not had any problems with the SQ. The washer dryer pair cost nearly $2500. Cost now is closer to $3,000. I have been on the Gardenweb for nearly 15 years and have read countless terrible reports on front loaders. We work too hard for our money to replace a washing machine every ten years, which is why we bought the Speed Queens.

Buy quality and you only cry once.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm