SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Would You Wear Your Nails like This?

This was an ad for a nail design co. on FB.

Really?

My nails look like this after I've been painting - or digging in the garden 😆

Comments (80)

• Adella Bedella
    2 years ago

I saw that the other day. It's cute with another color. I rarely get my nails done so I asked the lady at the salon for suggestions a few years back. She suggested I have my nails done with black where the denim color was and just a swish of orange under it. It was October and the black and orange looked great with my dress up outfit and also my Halloween costume I wore the next week.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Adella Bedella
  • Related Discussions

What are you wearing on your toes right now?

Q

Comments (17)
    Real Red. A bit brighter than I usually do. My daughter wanted me to have red toes. The pedicurist did a crappy job, though, and I can hardly wait to take it off! I should go in and complain to the owner but doubt I'll bother. I'll just choose a different girl next time. He has many, this one was new.
    ...See More

What shoes would you wear with this dress?

Q

Comments (61)
    Take a look at the Cole Haan air tali wedge. Looks a bit like a ballet flat from the front but has a small heel to add some leg length. Comes in lots of colors and models. Different kinds of heels, toes, spectator style, etc. Nordstrom has a nude peep toe, Zappos carries them as well. Just discovered a zebra pair too. They could look ridiculous or they could look spectacular. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-haan-air-tali-wedge-pump-women/3778977?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0amp;fashionColor=&resultback=800&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_3_B Here is a link that might be useful: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-haan-air-tali-wedge/3611212?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0amp;fashionColor=SANDSTONE+PATENT&resultback=766&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_4_D This post was edited by deee on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 15:36
    ...See More

What color nail polish do you wear on your toes for summer?

Q

Comments (41)
    Patti I find that the professional pedi last a very long time, many weeks so is really worth it, plus the massage and pampering are wonderful. I have never mastered the art of polish if I do it you would think a blindfolded chimpanzee did it.... it ain't pretty! The pros make it look so simple and easy and fast. I have been waiting for my broken toe nail to grow out before getting one but I donâÂÂt think I can wait until then. I have no idea how I managed to damage my big toe nail but I did, I hope it doesn't grow in all funky looking.
    ...See More

Do you get your nails done?

Q

Comments (54)
    No. This is just me, and I admit, I am odd. I have a very bad right hand....scarred from two childhood accidents...bad 3rd degree burns that more or less melted my hand, so I have never done anything to attract attention to my hand. Oddly, many people who have known me for years and never noticed it. However, even if it wasn't like that, I wouldn't have a manicure. That is something I can do myself. Same for pedicure....if I want my toenails painted, I can do that. And the real reason is, I don't like people I don't know touching me. Oh, I can get a haircut....I have to do that....but I want in and out as quickly as possible. I don't care how they cut it, just let me get the hell out of that chair. Now, you'd never know that...watching me. I can control my aversion. I am polite and chatty....I can act normal....but it isn't something I enjoy. Having a massage by someone I am not close to, for example....would never happen.
    ...See More
  • Lars
    2 years ago

If it were red instead of indigo, it might be interesting - and look like blood.

The above photo looks like the opposite of a French manicure, which is what I tried to approximate as a child. I would use a white pencil to color the inside tips of my nails, but of course I had to do this myself. I also buffed my nails as a child so that they would be shiny.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Lars
  • artemis_ma
    2 years ago

My nails looked like that yesterday. Serious gardening.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked artemis_ma
  • aok27502
    2 years ago

I've heard it said that you know you're a serious gardener, when the only way to get your hands clean is to wash your hair.🤪

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked aok27502
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

aok, works for me. I know if my hands give away after scrubbing/nail brush that I've been gardening, they will be better in the morning when I shampoo in the shower.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Judy Good
    2 years ago

I think it is called a "French tip" But not in that color. Love a French tip in pale pink with glossy overcoat

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Judy Good
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 years ago

Here is a dark tipped French manicure that is done correctly. I actually was trying to do this as a pedicure when I saw your post. No bows though.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • amylou321
    2 years ago

I would if they were pink. Certainly not THAT color. I do not wear nail polish on my fingers, just my toes. But only because I do not feel like having something else to have to maintain.

I hate the newly popular trend of long, pointy, gross fake nails. I cannot help but think that women who sport those things are just dirty. UGH.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Haha rob333 - with a manicure exactly like that, you wouldn't be able to do very much of anything, would you 😄

I remember having a piano teacher, when I was little, who wouldn't actually play because she didn't want to ruin her manicure - she would point at the keys she wanted me to play.

And yes, the ad did refer to it as French tips.

I think ranch tips is more accurate for the look - or maybe trench tips?

• Lindsey_CA
    2 years ago

These were all posted to the Instagram account of @cc_nailsx

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Lindsey_CA
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 years ago

That's why it was a pedicure and without bows. Very, very altered. I guess, just inspired by it!

☺️

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

For those of you with dirty fingernails after gardening, I'd recommend getting the gloves with the rubber coated fingers. They are nice and grippy, very flexible and yet strong enough to keep one's fingernails dirt free.

https://www.harborfreight.com/coated-rubber-grip-gloves-large-90912.html

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • IdaClaire
    2 years ago

I'm another whose nails look like that more often than I'd like because of some project I've got going. I work in an environment where folks tend to be well manicured, and there have been times I've wanted to sit on my hands rather than have my unkempt nails noticed. Then again, I have no patience for DIY manicures and don't really want to start having them professionally done again (I did for about a year before Covid), so I keep my nails short and natural and try to compensate with a winning smile instead. 😉

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked IdaClaire
  • colleenoz
    2 years ago

No way.

Gardeners' gloves work pretty well for keeping your nails unstained.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked colleenoz
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

During Covid I’ve grown out acrylic nails I’ve had for 20 years. Funny because I used to swear I’d never get them, but when I found someone who didn’t use glue-on tips and was fine leaving them very short, I was hooked. I kept them light pink, no other color.

Now I’m back to my original awful nubbins and trying to stay strong. Keep showing me ridiculous mail photos cuz it sort of helps...sort of.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • maddielee
    2 years ago

I envy those who have nails that they can highlight.

The ones Lindsey posted above are pretty.

ML ( crappy, thin nails on ugly fingers)

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked maddielee
  • Kathsgrdn
    2 years ago

I wouldn't intentionally do that to my nails. When I garden somehow dirt ends up under my toenails, through my shoes and socks. Have no idea how that happens.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Kathsgrdn
  • Bookwoman
    2 years ago

I swear by nitrile gardening gloves. They keep my hands clean and are great for getting a grip on weeds. I keep my nails short and buffed, no polish, except on my toes in the summer.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Bookwoman
  • nini804
    2 years ago

No, I would not wear that manicure. I get gel and always Essie Ballet Slippers or OPI Bubble Bath...very pale pinks. Very simple, I think it’s pretty but it’s probably boring. Lol.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked nini804
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

Nini-we use the same colors! Just add Esse Ballet Slippers

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@ maddielee - I neglected to mention my nails are round and stubby and also thin. I envy those with long elegant fingers like those pictured above.

I have multiple pairs of nitrile coated gardening gloves and they mostly keep my hands clean, but muddy water can get in through the fabric part. I hate it when that happens.

And I get dirt inside my shoes and socks too - which I also hate. I have a pair of gardening boots now, and they really make a difference.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Like Elmer I find many of the current trends hideous. All the pinks and oranges and baby blues and swirls and inlays... Looks like stuff a fairy princess would do at a preschooler’s birthday party. Blech.

But I actually kind of like the ones in the OP. I’d take them over any in Lindsey’s post.

• Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

I no longer have the pretty hands to match, but I keep my nails longer. All I do is square them with a file once in a while. Years ago I ruined them with acrylics too and they weren’t the same for years. They were thin, they peeled and had no strength to them but a couple of years ago I started to take Biotin for something completely different. I noticed a difference almost immediately. Now, even though I only take the Biotin 1 or 2 times a month, they grow incredibly fast and never break or peel. They are due for some filing now....

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Lukki Irish
  • wednesday morning
    2 years ago

I cannot stand to have my fingernails long and when they do grow out and get squared, they act like little shovels, just shoveling the debris under the nail. I hate it!!!! As soon as they get just beyond the length of my finger, I get out the clippers.

Only short and clean for me. My hands are always doing active duty.

I have found the best way to clean my nails in the summer is to use the water hose with the nozzle set to stream and run it along under the nails to flush out any and all that may be there.

I think many of these nail decorations are hideous on an adult person. They are best left to be experimented with by the very young who have not defined themselves yet.

I did that kind of thing as teen, but left that silliness behind as I matured.

My hands are too busy doing real things for these last few decades.

How would someone with long nails wear a glove or mitten in the cold weather? And, the biggest question that most of us have is what happens when one has to deal with bathroom issues? How is that accomplished and how much washing up is required?

Those long nails have got to be a breeding ground for all manner of microbes.

Ugh!!

I am always aware of the fact that other people that are eating the food that I have prepared may be looking at my hands to judge my cleanliness.

Having something as impractical as long nails like that is only for people who dont do much with their hands.

In some old cultures the nails are used as tools, of a sort. My dad often let his thumb sport a longish nail. He used it as a handy tool for some things. He was a working man whose hands were always busy.

If you are a women, or a man, of leisure or have a professional position where professional grooming is appropriate that may be a different story, But, then, it seems that novelty such as this would not be the best choice.

All I want for my hands is for them to be clean, trimmed and useful. For that, I am thankful.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked wednesday morning
  • Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

Wow Wednesday...don’t assume someone with longer nails doesn’t keep them clean. I wear them both ways, long and short and it’s always harder to keep them clean when they‘re short. Always. I can’t speak for everyone but it’s always been my experience that when someone wears longer nails, they are actually more careful to keep them clean because it’s more noticeable when they don’t. And you might also be surprised to know that most people, whether their nails are long or short do stay busy with their hands so you are not unique in that respect. I work all day, if I’m not typing, I’m cleaning house or taking care of my animals. I cook too, but ever since E-Coli became a problem, I handle the food I’m cooking as little as possible. I wear thin gloves as needed irregarless of how long / short my nails are especially with meat.

Granted there is a limit and in my opinion, the length should be proportionate to the person’s hands but you look at the nails of anyone who takes the time to care for their nails and 9 times out of ten, they aren’t dirty. No, I wouldn’t wear my nails like any of the pictures but...to each his own.

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Rob's picture at least looks deliberate, unlike the original pic which looked like dirt under the nails.

Garden gloves are great until the fingers wear through and you keep using them because they still protect the rest of your hand just fine. Or until you're sitting around not intending to get dirty but then you notice a weed here, a plant coming up there where it's not wanted, another few weeds there, etc ....

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked nickel_kg
  • Elizabeth
    2 years ago

I have given up the French manicure. Too hard to maintain during Covid. I file them into a square oval and buff them to a high shine. The grown out edge of my nails are naturally very white and at first glance they look like a French manicure. I have always been careful of my nails and in my younger years had beautiful manicures at all times. I preferred pinks and an occasional red NEVER colors that resembled dirt.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Elizabeth
  • greenshoekitty
    2 years ago

The answer is no. It makes me think of what an aunt told me when I was about 10. She asked me ( after not washing my hands very well ) if I was hiring for a job, would I hire some one to serve people food or other things if my nails were dirty. To this day (close to 70 years later) I still do a check that I got them clean.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked greenshoekitty
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think it's very hard to tell if there's dirt under nails if they're painted with an opaque color. Isn't that why nurses and medical workers aren't supposed to wear colored nail polish?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 years ago

Fun, my mother always used that trick with the soap back in the 50s and 60s. I still do, too!

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • jemdandy
    2 years ago

Geez!. It looks like she painted the wrong side of the nails. Looks clever - Maybe blood red should have been used. That'd make one look (and wonder).

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked jemdandy
  • yeonassky
    2 years ago

Perhaps if it were a glittery gold. I would not use aubergine or whatever colour that is.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked yeonassky
  • IdaClaire
    2 years ago

It's really misguided to convey attributes such as "trashy", "silly" "immature" based upon how someone polishes their nails. I mean, come on ... of all things to measure a person by ... Really??

• daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

lukki, do mind posting the brand/type of biotin you use? I tried it last year without success, but am willing to try again. My nails have gotten so bad as I age that even kept very short, they are always breaking, peeling and deeply ridged.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

Here you go Daisy, I’ve been buying suppliments from this company for years and I’m never disappointed. I don’t remember exactly what I was trying to “fix” but I’d heard that Biotin was good for your hair and figured I’d give it a try. My hair and nails have always grown fast which could attribute to seeing results pretty quick. If your nails grow slow, be patient cause it might take a while. Also, I’ve heard that iron deficiencies can cause nails to be thin and splitty so if the Biotin doesn’t help, that may be something to consider.

They have 3 different sizes 2500 mcg, 5,000 mcg and 10,000 mcg, I use 5000.

Biotin

• Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

last modified: 1 hour ago

Here you go Daisy, I’ve been buying suppliments from this company for years and I’m never disappointed. I don’t remember exactly what I was trying to “fix” but I’d heard that Biotin was good for your hair and figured I’d give it a try. My hair and nails have always grown fast which could attribute to seeing results pretty quick. If your nails grow slow, be patient cause it might take a while. Also, I’ve heard that iron deficiencies can cause nails to be thin and splitty so if the Biotin doesn’t help, that may be something to consider.

They have 3 different sizes 2500 mcg, 5,000 mcg and 10,000 mcg, I use 5000.

Biotin

• marilyn_c
    2 years ago

I don't think people with long nails are dirty but if you do a lot of physical work, they are impractical. I have very strong, fast growing nails, and I have to cut them very often.

When I was in jr high school there was a rumor that if you could grow your nails an inch long, some cosmetic company would pay you a thousand dollars. I was all in for that, even though I could only grow them on my left hand, because my right hand was badly burned (3rd degree) and my nails on that hand more or less melted. I didn't get them to an inch, but almost. I kept nail polish on them to strengthen them a little, but finally a one broke, and I gave up that idea.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked marilyn_c
  • aprilneverends
    2 years ago

I wanted to say I don't give a damn but that would be untrue-as I do give a damn, apparently.

For example I (almost) never did mani-pedi until I spent a couple or more years in US. Everybody seemed to have them at all times..the sheer amount of nail salons was like a cultural shock. at least back then. At first I resisted..but then one just feels too different. Naked, or something..

In short I started going for this mani-pedi thing (I myself am very clumsy and can't do a decent job, or worse, I just gonna do some damage)

Around this time, I saw on one of my friends French manicure, it was minimum 15 years ago, and was so enchanted I also started doing it from time to time.

(hers and mine was white tip though)

Then I switched to dark polish on toes.

Sometime after, I read on some discussion boards that French is a "trashy" look. I was surprised, Especially with myself, as it shouldn't influence me but it did. Not immediately..it's like you're, say, a cup of tea, and somebody adds sugar to you, and you can't say "take away your samn sugar". You stay sweetened, or something.

In any case I'm pretty conservative/don't like changes, especially given the fact i have to go to somebody -too much work, and time, and money and I don't always have it.. it's usually samey, dark polish on toes and whatever I'm in the mood for, on nails, usually some conventional color. I have several favorites. Very pale pink, off-white, taupe, or some version of purple.

If I had a different complexion/had different fingers' shape-then maybe. If I was like the girl from the picture. But I'm not.

If I go somewhere far to travel, or I am just not in the mood-I ask for natural polish.

Recently btw I literally ruined my big toes, during quarantines, because I tried to do it myself-the results were disastrous and I do currently have French tip on my toes, to mask it somehow while two new nails are growing.

I just want to leave them bare for now "to breathe" but give out some impression they are still groomed. So back to "trashy" thing. lol.

Nails are natural which is a sure sign I'm not in the mood.

There were couple times in my life when I chose or was led to choose to be more playful, so to say.

One is especially memorable-a(very good) manicurist talked me into having golden hearts on my big toes-one heart for each toe.

Little did I know ..she did an exceptional job, one of the best manicurists I ever saw, seriously-and through the very hard next few months I had, with huge changes and transitions, etc, Earth shuttering in my world, whatever-these stupid gold hearts continued to sparkle on my toes, like nothing was happenning.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked aprilneverends
  • lucillle
    2 years ago

How does one wash one's hands with little bowties stuck to them?

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked lucillle
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Exactly, Lucille!

And FWIW, I think getting enough protein is important for nails and hair as well. Older people need more protein than younger ones, and a lot of the recommended daily amounts in articles, etc., usually are directed at 30 somethings and younger.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

FYI for those of us with Thyroid issues, Biotin can mess with your blood work results so proceed with caution. Read up and talk to your doctor first.

I tell people that I gave in to acrylics because I had nail envy and that was one kind in envy I could do something about!😂

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I really can't believe the comments on this thread - judging someone by their fingernails??? Since when is dirt blue? While I would not want the long pointed nails for myself - in no way do I think they make someone look "dirty" as mentioned above. It's a fad/trend!

"I cannot help but think that women who sport those things are just dirty. UGH.""

and this:

"what happens when one has to deal with bathroom issues? How is that accomplished and how much washing up is required?" WHAT????!!! My bathroom "issues" do not involve my fingernails!

@Lukki Irish I think I mentioned here before, but after I quit work, I noticed a few months down the road, that my nails were longer/stronger. It took me a while but I finally decided it must be because I was eating EGGS several mornings a week. (Eggs have a high percentage of biotin!) I do not like breakfast early (more like brunch!) so when working I would most often pick up a little something mid-morning. So no sitting down to a breakfast. I do not wear my nails quite as long as you - but I could. Mine are a bit shorter and I also like mine a bit squared. I love a french manicure or a very pale pink or neutral color. However, I hate sitting in a nail/beauty salon having my nails done. LOL I use a good basecoat and a gel topcoat and that makes all the difference in the world. My toenails are always polished - a bright color and sometimes black.

I'm another who hates gardening in gloves and only wear them if I am doing something that might cause blisters.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Tina Marie
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

FWIW, I did originally mention paint. I'm an art teacher and my nails can get that way from cleaning paint trays and brushes - sometimes they're green, or red or purple or black - and I don't like it. That's why I thought it was funny when it showed up in my FB newsfeed 🙂

Also FWIW, they did show nails fully painted with that denim color and they looked nice.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b Carol, you weren't judging people. :)

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Tina Marie
  • Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

Carol, I used to love to paint (acrylics) and remember the splattered color every where when cleaning up! It was a fun mess and one I didn’t mind seeing on my hands or nails. What’s unique is that the color under your nails isn’t blotchy or uneven, they could pass for being purposely painted.

• IdaClaire
    2 years ago

Tina, I think anyone who would pronounce a woman "dirty" based on her manicure has waaaaay more issues than can be adequately addressed here.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Guess I got flagged? Oh, well.

Amen, Ida. You can probably imagine what I said. :D

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Jilly
  • Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

Tina, I love your story about the eggs. I didn’t know they have that much biotin in them! I was really surprised when I noticed the change in my nails. I don’t normally wear them this long either; filing them back some this weekend is on my to do list. Once I buff them with a filing block, they look as good as they did when I had clear acrylics.

The issue or warning for Biotin (B7) that I’m familiar with is that it can skew blood tests so you need to stop taking it a few days before you have a blood draw. While the dosage of 5,000 mcg’s looks to be a lot, it’s actually only 5 mgs which is a low dose and the recommended amount in articles I’ve read on it.

• ladypat1
    2 years ago

oh my, um....NO. My nails look like that too often from gardening.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked ladypat1