SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shalieanna

Cutting back the Stem Elephant (Colocasia) plant

shalieanna
2 years ago

I’ve been searching and searching online and cannot seem to find the answer to my question. I have a beautiful Elephant (Colocasia) plant. but as I remove the leaves that break, the stem/stalk/corm (not sure what it’s called) keeps getting taller and taller. My question is, can I cut the main stem/stalk/corm and will the plant regrow (off-shoot) shorter and fatter? In the 1st image I've circled the part I would like to cut back. But before I take this drastic move I’d like any pointers/feedback on how it will effect the plant and if it will do what I hope. The 2nd image is of how I'd like it to look like again. the 3rd and 4th images are of the broken stem.

I water it once a week (fertilize every 2 weeks) and let the soil dry out between watering's - we also have a high-end whole-house humidifier that runs all winter, so humidity isn't the issue. I also repotted it 2 years ago right after I bought it. so I doubt it needs repotting already, but I'll try that if I can't get it back to it's glory. You may ask why I keep cutting off the leaves -- well! they keep breaking (the 3rd and 4th pics of one that just broke again yesterday). The stems and leaves seem to be longer than usual and maybe they don't seem to be able to support the weight of the leaf.

Regardless of all this, I really just want to know what would happen to the plant if I cut the main stalk back to the soil level? would it grow offshoots from the main bulb/corm after some time? I hope someone can help me clear this up.

1ST IMAGE: WHATPART I WOULD LIKE TO CUT BACK

2ND IMAGE: HOW I'D LIKE THE PLANT TO LOOK AGAIN!

3RD IMAGE: BROKEN STEM

4TH IMAGE: BROKEN STEM

Comments (5)