SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl9bsanjose

Need ideas for drought-tolerant border please!

Cheryl2446
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm replacing my dead lawn with dwarf carpet of stars (ruschia nana). I'd like some ideas for a drought-tolerant narrow border please. I love agaves and succulents but I have young kids, so my agave options are quite limited; and I also quite like the idea of drought-tolerant plants like azure bush germander, salvia greggii, sphaeralcea ambigua, some rosemary, etc blowing in the wind, attracting pollinators :) But I'm stuck when it comes to placing them in a pleasing manner given the border is so narrow (3-4ft x 35ft, curved). You can see the orange lines our contractor drew, in the pics. I don't want to widen the border too much as that results in less playing space for the kids. Planning on eco-rubber for the edging.

If possible, I'd like a mix of agave/succulents and the germander etc, with some sedum cape blanco as ground cover. I know people on here talk about planting in drifts but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I also see people say "no more than 3 varieties", which stumps me further. This area sees about 6 hours of sun in the afternoons despite our maple tree and the neighbor's olive tree. I'd be grateful for any ideas regarding placement and/or new plant suggestions. This is in San Jose, CA, 9b.

Comments (37)