Help with a laundry room alcove!

kris1958

What can I do with this area? ididnt opt for the dog bath so this is how the builder left it?!? The area measures 46” wide x 26” deep x 10 feet tall. We have plenty of storage but I guess we could always use more. Just trying to think of a creative use of the space!

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jen K

If you recently moved in - leave it. Eventually it will tell you what it can be. It's ok to have an unused space; don't force it- let it speak to you. We added a sunroom (husband's must have) to our production plan and I have no idea what I want to use it for. So we'll live with it for a little bit until it tells us how it can be used. Maybe it'll be a watercolor room + greenhouse, yoga/relaxation, or reading and music.

If you're compelled to put something in it how about a foldup drying rack attached to the wall?

If you're my husband you would have room for the 8 months of emergency food he bought before the pandemic; MRE but prettier packaging. Sigh.

1 Like Save     Thanked by kris1958
mimc

Would a built in ironing board fit there? They’re very convenient, wish I had space for one.

Save     Thanked by kris1958
Suki Mom

Shelf and rod for air drying

Save     Thanked by kris1958
PRO
CDR Design, LLC

I would live in the house for awhile and see if a need arises. Otherwise ideas:

-hanging space for laundry

- cubbies

-ironing board

-sewing machine

-craft area

-broom closet to hold brooms, mops, vacuums, etc.

alwayscold

Nice laundry! And with an island! I hang a lot of clothes to dry so that’s what I would use that space for. however like others said wait and see after loving there for a while. Honeslty, if I had that much space I’d build a shoe closet there as we are a no shoes on house.

kris1958

Thank you all for your great ideas. I think we will wait and see what needs arise once we’ve been here for awhile. Maybe a big dog bed for when the grand dogs come to visit!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular The Dream Laundry Room That Helps a Family Stay Organized
A designer’s own family laundry room checks off her must-haves, including an industrial sink
Full Story
Bedrooms Room of the Day: From Laundry Room to Shabby Chic-Style Master Suite
A Florida bungalow addition mixes modern amenities with pieces of the past, thanks to a homeowner’s love for using old things in new ways
Full Story
Entryways Room of the Day: Reconfiguring an Entry and Laundry Room
Creating a mudroom from closets and opening up a laundry room make a big difference for this family in Canada
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
We are a Design-Build Firm. We can help you achieve your dream home using your budget with care and craftsmanship. Read More