Scam or for real?

Lucille

I received this message purportedly from USPS. I do indeed have two packages that are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I have Informed Delivery and there are no 'exception' or error messages shown. I edited out the link to the website just in case they are bad guys, but what do you think? For one thing, it isn't yet 5/3?

We're sorry to let you know that your package which arrived on 05/03/2021 will be sent back

This may happen when the receiver's address is incorrect.

To submit a redelivery request for this package please fill out the form in our website.

NOTICE:

Please note, that if a redelivery is not scheduled within 48 hours, you can't submit a redelivery request again. The shipping and handling fees will not be refunded.

SaveComment18Like
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HU-178658043

SCAM!!! For sure. USPS would have nothing to do with the shipper's shipping and handling fees, and the date error is another giveaway.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

And you should be able to track your expected packages to check this out.

I would ignore it - and perhaps report it as phishing.

Save    
patriciae_gw

SCAM

Save    
Olychick

look at the web address it came from...clearly a scam. If the web address for any of these things isn't something like USPS.com it's not legit. Same with things from Amazon or other popular services...the scams always come from some weird web address.

And anything that threatens you must act NOW is also a good clue it's a scam. The more they can scare people, the more people will let their guards down.

2 Likes Save    
amylou321

USPS would not send you an email telling you that your mail is being sent back. The only emails they send are for the informed delivery option, telling you what mail is scheduled to be delivered that day. They would just send it back. Check your tracking numbers. All should be as normal.

Trust me as someone whose mail and packages are regularly NOT delivered. The USPS and its horrid troll do not care enough to inform me like that. The troll just puts one of those pick up forms in the mailbox..

Scam.

Save    
sephia_wa

I received the same exact message, same wording and everything. I wasn't expecting anything but did check the USPS website, and confirmed there was nothing being delivered to me.

Save    
arkansas girl

SCAM we get those all the time. The USPS doesn't have our email address anyway...how would they send us a message?

Save    
nickel_kg

Haven't come across that one yet, but thanks for the warning.

1 Like Save    
Raye Smith

Report those texts with the phone number to your providers scam reporting line.

1 Like Save    
sephia_wa

Mine came as an email, not a text. No phone number to report.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I've not gotten this exact email, but several very similar.

My email service (msn.com) has a button for reporting phishing/scam emails. Just put a checkmark in the box next to the email, then clicking the "report phishing" button. I have learned to recognize these and don't even need to take the risk of opening the email (and can hover over the sender name to reveal the sender's email address, too.)

Save    
sprtphntc7a

we haven't gotten that one, but we have had several stating that we bought 'something' on Amazon for $2500 or some crazy amount and they want to confirm it... they call the house phone.

needless to say, we do nothing.

Save    
Lucille

I've gotten purchase confirmations of tech services to the tune of a couple hundred a month and they always have a 'click here' if one wants to discuss the order.

Save    
Lindsey_CA

"The USPS doesn't have our email address anyway...how would they send us a message?"

If you've signed up for the USPS Informed Delivery (and several of us here have), they have your e-mail address.

Save    
arcy_gw

So what's the point of this scam? Is it asking you to leave a door open? Are they trying to determine if you will be home that day? I don't get the point? Bottom line did you order anything if not DELETE and go live your life!!

Save    
Lucille

So what's the point of this scam?

It's hard to know since I did not of course click on their link, but at the very least it is a phishing attempt.

DELETE and go live your life!!

I took the extra step and brought it here, it may not be the most skillful phish attempt ever but it is worthwhile to help others by sharing. The only reason we see so much of this going on is that some people get taken in.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-recognize-and-avoid-phishing-scams

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

You are right, Lucille, and a lot of people are taken in!! Apparently it is a very lucrative industry.

When my 87 yo mother had to go into a nursing home, and her home address and phone number were changed to mine, I suddenly started getting the scam phone calls - I really hadn't before. So I believe that there was some connection between the facility, or the county medicaid office, or perhaps the phone company who installed a line in her room -- someone had access to the connection between this elderly person and my phone number and sold it to the scammer list.

Save    
Debby

Go to the site where you ordered the package from and check the tracking there. NEVER EVER click on the links in an email and never EVER fill out any information on those links.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Selling Your House 15 Questions to Ask When Interviewing a Real Estate Agent
Here’s what you should find out before selecting an agent to sell your home
Full Story
Most Popular 9 Real Ways You Can Help After a House Fire
Suggestions from someone who lost her home to fire — and experienced the staggering generosity of community
Full Story
Moving What Those Home-Sale Disclosures Are Really Saying
Avoid costly surprises by knowing what’s included in a home seller’s disclosure, what’s not and what you can do if you suspect foul play
Full Story