Chicken Shortage?.....

Lucille

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/04/29/chicken-shortage-us/

I'm amazed at what some stores are charging per pound for beef. Now there's a chicken shortage?

SaveComment37Like1
Comments (37)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Talking to our usual waitress at the local bar and grill, and their menu is messed up because they couldn't even get chicken wings from their supplier last week, an they sell a lot of wings.

Save    
nicole___

Wow! I get it. Chick fil A is packed here. Every fast food place has s chicken sandwich. But......we haven't seen the trickle down HERE yet. I just paid .75cents a pound for chicken thighs(to freeze). Then purchased 8 pieces of fried chicken for $5.98.

I'm seeing EVERYTHING going up, I blame covid. Cotton bed sheets, there's no cotton to make them with. New appliances, they're behind on production. The price of wood has doubled or trippled.

1 Like Save    
wednesday morning

When the stores first began to open up with people waiting outside for their turn to go in, I noticed that many of the shelves at Walmart were pretty bare. And, I dont mean the grocery shelves. I mean the regular merchandise.

I alos noticed that the area of Target where there are usually shelves full of diddly doos to put in easter baskets were almost completely bare as if there never was much, if any, merchandise on the shelf.

So many supply lines have been demolished or strangled in the crush of the sudden shutdown.

It can be quite difficult to buy a new appliance.

We are looking to sell the house mid summer and hope to not have to look for a new range. I am going to clean up the old one until it shines and sparkles.

Ikea is out of stock on most everything that I have tried to buy in this last year. I dont buy much, but the time does come when the old is just too far worn out and you need to replace.

I did finally mange to buy the chair I wanted from Ikea and have been trying to buy a top for a desk. So many things are listed as being out of stock, in every Ikea around.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I noticed that Aldi's bags of raw frozen wings have usually been AWOL the last few times I was there. I went there on Tuesday morning after getting my second covid jab and they had 3 bags in the freezer and I grabbed two of them.

A friend picked up 10 whole pastured chickens for me from a Mennonite community a couple weeks ago so I am stocked up for a few months. Got the gizzards and livers too so plenty of catfish bait. lol

I also split a whole hog with a friend and we picked that up yesterday at the processor. Plenty of sausage, bacon, brats, and chops/steaks to last awhile. They need to find a way to grow hogs with more ribs though.

My beef supply is OK but steaks are starting to run low as usual. Plenty of burger left to make it until October when we take 2 steer in to be processed. I still have one whole brisket, a Pikes Peak roast, and a 11 lb. rib roast left too. I could cut the rib roast into bone-in Ribeyes in a pinch.

We won't starve for meat any time soon here!.

2 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

We're near enough to local producers to not experience a beef, lamb, or chicken shortage. The only thing we've personally noticed is the price of a landscape timber doubled since we last bought them, not that many years ago.

But yeah, I've read of all sorts of shortages, likely due to pandemic disruptions. We live in such an inter-connected world.

Save    
aziline

Our Costco has a limit of 1 on eggs. Seems to have come out of no where to me and they were fully stocked.

Save    
Ninapearl

i saw this on the news recently and it troubles me! i buy a LOT of chicken. i eat it almost every day and i make bone broth with it for the dogs.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Yes - Men's Health Eat This Not That had an article recently listing items that will be seeing price hikes and a few reasons why:

https://www.eatthis.com/news-expensive-grocery-items-summer-2021/

Feed prices are up, and transportation has been a big issue as well. So many businesses have seen reductions in their workforces because of COVID - esp. in meatpacking, where there was quite a bit of news coverage of how working conditions were spreading illness.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

No chicken shortages here (yet?), but all the grocery stores have been out of frozen fruit, especially blueberries, for the past 2 weeks. We have smoothies for breakfast every day, so this is annoying. No doubt they will cost way more when they return. Also, organic strawberries normally cost $2.99 a pound this time of year, but now it's $5.49. NOT going to pay that.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Carol - Oh no not beer!!! I'm off to the liquor store to stock up now!!!

1 Like Save    
joann_fl

there seems to be a shortage of everything these days!

Save    
Rusty again

Went to HEB this afternoon, didn't notice any shortages. 10# bags of chicken quarters were $4.45, down almost a dollar from their usual price. All meat shelves seemed to be well stocked, but I didn't check prices on much. Everything I normally purchase was in plentiful supply and within the price range I am used to paying. They even had some unusual (for here) produce, such as Dragon fruit and Jack fruit.

I'm almost afraid to post this, for fear it will be a different story next time I shop. :^)

Rusty

1 Like Save    
chloebud

No shortages for us, but I know what Rusty means regarding "almost afraid to post..."

Save    
sushipup1

Sometimes the grocery stores are okay but the restaurant supply businesses are where the shortages are. Grocery stores sell for a much higher price.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Seems like local shortages are more common than nationwide ones...?

Save    
maifleur03

I saw it earlier and decided to wait but can not find it now but there was an article that processors are having problems finding workers. For as little as some processors pay for the work that is done and the added stress of the virus lack of workers is not too surprising to me. Dress it up as people are eating more chicken sandwiches as one article mentioned does not address that unless it meat is stripped off the bone little goes into anything other than nugget type pressed chicken which costs more than just selling the wings.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

as wings are pricey and hard to find [sell out quickly] I like to get chicken legs [aka big drummies] and cook them like wings.

TP should be added to the list ... again ... along with cooking oils

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Geez - remember when chicken wings were the cheapest parts?

3 Likes Save    
chisue

Never understood why you'd *pay* for a spare part like chicken wings. They merely convey some BBQ sauce to your mouth. It's amazing that pork bellies cost as much as ham. We must be living *low* on the hog.

The only shortage I've noticed is that neither Costco nor our local grocer had Jack Daniel's in stock last week -- neither 750's nor full liter bottles. Why, I was forced to drink *gin*!

3 Likes Save    
wednesday morning

I never understood how wings became such a big thing. I find them to be nothing but a bit of bone, skin and some fat. I would never buy them, or choose to eat them. Just something to dunk into some sauce. No, thanks.

The effects on world trade are still working their way down the pipeline in so many ways.

I predicted that the second hand clothing shops would see more business, and I was right.

This is not over yet and it will leave a lot of scars and skid marks on our economy and our lives. It will leave behind much change, as well.

3 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Chisue - I agree, ham should be way cheaper than pork belly. ;-p

I'll take a couple slices of bacon over a slice of ham every time...bacon is pure, it's perfect, it's wonderful! ham, meh.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

Geez - remember when chicken wings were the cheapest parts?

Along with fajitas which are now sky high.

Save    
summersrhythm_z6a

There is no chicken shortage here in NY by the Great Lakes. Bought 4 bags of chicken wings from Aldi for just in case. Lol

Save    
maifleur03

Pork belly increase in price is not because of bacon but because restaurants are using it uncured or only partially cured. Served based on the pictures and recipes I have seen with a crisp outer layer but kept moist on the inside. Still reads greasy to me rather than juicy but each to their own. It started showing up here in about 2019 in bistro type cafes and have now spread to higher end ones.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I don't see any shortages in my area either. Both chicken and beef are plentiful and are often on good sales.

I am also very fond of chicken wings. They are actually my favorite part of the chicken and so much more than just bone, skin and fat!! Oddly, I don't really care for buffalo wings, but teriyaki or salt and vinegar or garlic, herbs and parmesan.....yum!!

2 Likes Save    
ci_lantro

I've been using chicken from my freezer & haven't noticed. But I expect that the supply here in the upper Midwest US is adequate. I can see that chkn supply in the southern plains could be lower than normal because of the big freeze in February. Producers in that part of the US are more accustomed to having to deal with excessive heat and aren't prepared for the extreme & long duration of cold that happened. Timing is right for a shortage to be felt now...it takes 8-12 weeks to grow a chicken to market weight.

The good news is that it takes only 8-12 weeks to produce a meat chicken so the shortage ought to be reasonably short term.

Meantime, fewer chicken sandwiches, more chicken stir fry, chicken Caesar salad & other meat stretching recipes.

Save    
whistle_b

This country needs to reduce its consumption of meat. Much better for the body and planet.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

Oddly, I don't really care for buffalo wings, but teriyaki or salt and vinegar or garlic, herbs and parmesan.....yum!!

I agree. I love Parmesan garlic wings.

Save    
maifleur03

Thank you Whistle for the reminder as to a possible cause of why I have been so angry. B12 shots do nothing for me and nutritional yeast makes my eyes red and irritated. I have not eaten my normal amount of meat for the past week because I am trying to eat all the veggies from my new CSA. Will break out either some liver or rare beef tomorrow.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

maifleur - pork belly burnt ends are one of my favorite things to BBQ. They are a like a heart attack in each bite! Not greasy at all. Most of the fat melts off during the initial smoking process.

I haven't seen pork belly increase in price much. It is still $3.49/lb. for uncured at the Mexican market I shop at occasionally. Same price as it was in 2019. They were asking $3.99 at the Amish meat market I was at over the weekend to pick up my processed hog. The Asian market in the River market area wanted $5.99/lb. last time I was there in the fall. Prices are all over the place it seems..

Save    
marilyn_c

No chicken shortage here. There is a processing plant in Lufkin, about 20 miles from where I live. Sometimes when I drive past it.... because it is on a main thoroughfare, it stinks so bad that I swear I will never eat chicken again, but I cave because some chicken dishes are my favorite. Beef prices are up, but I am not going to quit eating beef either.

Save    
summersrhythm_z6a

Is there a bacon shortage? Went to a local store last night, there was a limit, 2 packs per customer.

Save    
maifleur03

Be prepared for lots of shortages depending on what you purchase regularly. While not human food this morning I ordered kitty litter from wally world and decided to look at the prices of moist food. Several brands of hard food were listed as sold out and the Sheba pate that I give to my oldest cat when he wants a bed time snack had only one kind and it was limited to one box.

1 Like Save    
summersrhythm_z6a

3" chlorinating tablets are sold out everywhere here.

Save    
Lucille

Food Shortages which would be particularly upsetting to me:

Chocolate

Coffee

Flour

Tomatoes/canned tomatoes

Yeast

Cheese

How about for you?

Save    
maifleur03

Luicille perhaps start another thread but for me coffee, chocolate and meat preferably beef. As mentioned above I do not utilize the B12 shots nor nutritional yeast so unless I want to lack energy to do anything it has to come from meat of some type.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

Had groceries delivered on Sunday, didn't feel like going shopping. The only thing they didn't have was Stok cold brew coffee. I had to run to Kroger the next day for it. I didn't buy chicken, though, only beef. A couple weeks ago I did buy some chicken breasts but didn't notice any kind of shortage.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Feel-Good Home 21 Ways to Waste Less at Home
Whether it's herbs rotting in the fridge or clothes that never get worn, most of us waste too much. Here are ways to make a change
Full Story
Vintage Style Houzz Tour: Farmhouse Meets Victorian in Los Angeles
Fanciful scrolls and sweet botanical prints join playful vintage touches for a home that’s altogether charming
Full Story
Feel-Good Home Simple Pleasures: Make Do and Mend
Experience the satisfaction of fixing, repurposing and creating things yourself around the home
Full Story