SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amber_mist

Lien Waiver and Retainment

A.M. Texas
3 years ago

TEXAS - I am concerned I have made a grave mistake. I am having a custom home built. I am paying cash as I go. Retainage is not in my contract, and honestly, I did not it was part of state law until yesterday. The only reason this is happening is that I was notified of a potential lien from a subcontractor my builder did not pay. Now that I know about Retainage, can I collect it retroactively (request that the builder place it back into the trust account), can I with hold current due draws till the retainage has been met. My builder is being very suspicious. I have requested copies of paid receipts and he refuses to deliver them. I requested sign and notarized Lien Waivers from each sub and supplier, the builder refuses to provide them. I'm trying to learn what tools are available to me to protect my investment. TWO QUESTIONS: Is it legal for him to deny me proof of payment for debts related to draws I have already paid him for? Can I collect back retainage, by him putting the money back to a trust account or by withholding 100% of current and future draws until the retainage is caught up to date? (Please be kind, I know I already messed up and I am trying to save my investment.) Thank you for any helpful information you may share with me.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus