SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuesday_carter

collecting vintage items

I am entering the 7th decade of life and along the way I have acquired any number of items that are solidly antique and are considered to be vintage.

For me, most of these things came from the era between the World Wars, when my grandparents were young and raising families.

These would include things like flour sack quilts and depression era glass and old canning jars and things made of cast iron, among others.

Now, I have been shedding my life of various little things and one thing that I have discovered is that these things that I sought out at flea markets and little junk stores and yard sales seem to no longer be desired by the new generation of folks who are given to collecting things. I am not sure if collecting little things is even a popular idea anymore.

I find that offers to give these things away falls, mostly, on deaf ears and many young ones have no idea about it.

What was considered to be vintage in my day is now very old by the standards of the young folks today. Of course it is. Time has passed.

My sister has found much the same lukewarm response to giving away things like old tableware and other house hold items that hail from pre midcentury. Not enough people seem to care anything about them anymore. And she inherited a bunch of it. Some of these things were given out as a bonus at the supermarket, or in a box of oatmeal or soap flakes. It was marketing and it was entertainment for the shopping women.

It invites speculation as to just what do folks like to collect nowadays. In these past couple of decades it seems that so much was marketed to consumers as being "collectible", when it was really being produced and sold in such mass quantities that it all seemed to be pretty silly. The best example that most of us could see is the silly Beanie Babies craze. Then, there were those baskets that became collectible.

I was not a big collector of anything, but still managed to end up with a number of collected antique items.

Now, I am not sure why I felt a need to do that. Unless your collection has a space for display and a willingness to maintain it, it just amounts to clutter.

I did have a lot of fun collecting coffee mugs from all manner of venues. I know why I did that. I really found them amusing. The variety of people, places and things that are captured on coffee mugs is an interesting statement about who we are. I had a few hundred of them at one time and was always struggling to find a place to display them. Long story short...I now have many fewer and they do sit out to be enjoyed.

I had boxes of sewing patterns with the oldest being from the 1920s and on up. I had a heck of a time getting rid of them!

Why collect? I loved the thrill of the hunt for those mugs. Most cost me no more that a quarter and I think that they represent a lot of our popular culture. It was just fun. Still is fun to pass by my collection and stop and take a good look.

So, why collect? And what is popular to collect in this modern age? What do you collect, and how do you display it?

Comments (48)

• graywings123
    2 years ago

In my opinion, collecting is fun, having the collection is fun, but someone else's collection is just stuff.

The idea of collecting was tied to eras when there was much, much less availability. It seems that people who went through periods of "want" then began collecting things to provide themselves security.

I remember having a conversation with my sister about her MIL's large matchbook collection. The collecting process was enjoyable for her (MIL). When she or her family traveled, they brought home matchbooks. My sister thought the collection might have some intrinsic valuable, but to me, the value was in the pleasure it gave to her MIL.

I receive e-mails of estate sales in my area, and there is a sadness to seeing all that collected stuff now looking for a new home. But I have to remember that collecting those items gave someone pleasure at one time.

It pains me, though, to see the reduced value of antique furniture. Antique furniture is one of the few collectables that I hope some day make a resurgence.

• marilyn_c
    2 years ago

I have heard that too...that the younger generation have little interest in antique or vintage items. What they are more interested in are the things they grew up with, and "collectibles" from the 80's and 90's. Toys from then are big sellers on eBay. That makes sense to me, because the things I like are what I grew up with. My mother was in her '40's when I was born, so the things she had were from 1900 to the '40's.

I had a big house before moving here and several big cupboards that I kept the things I collected in. I don't collect anything very much any more....except vintage cooking utensils. I still buy them when I find nice ones. I don't buy them on eBay because now they are listed for up to $35 apiece.

Here's the way I feel about it. I like the things I have. I don't care if some people think it is foolish to have all this stuff. I am not worried about my daughter having to deal with it when I'm gone. We went to great expense to provide extras for her when she was growing up and thru college. She sells on eBay....she can list it or take it to Goodwill or throw it away or give it away. I don't care. I may leave this entire place and contents to be used as a horse sanctuary. I have 34 acres of pasture and a very nice 12 stall horse barn with an office, tack room and feed room. That is something else I accumulated over the years.

My things are a source of pleasure. I feel good having the old dishes and tablecloths, and other things around me. I use them every day. It is my life and I don't live it to accommodate other people.

I also have lots of roses and waterlilies. Same as the items above. I would have an empty boring life if I tried to live to worry about if people think I have too many of those things.

• Related Discussions

Does anyone know what these are?

Q

Comments (15)
    I have no idea what they are, but I'm a bit skeptical about the cufflink holder idea. They very well may be, but for the life of me, I can't figure how they would be used as a link holder, or why anyone would want to use them in conjunction with cufflinks. I could see using them to store your links with a particular shirt... the button hole idea previously posted and using the upper H shaped device to hang your links in.. but what is the clip for? That being said... was it common to hang particular links with a particular shirt? Or for another, I don't know that I would want to hang my nice links metal to metal with a device like that. As a coat room check device... I can kind of see it... sure seems to make sense, but then again, back in the day there was usually a segregated hat shelf for the purpose, and the clip looks a little "harsh". Meaning.. the spring looks pretty strong and the clip isn't padded in any way. I wouldn't want clip marks on my hat. The hat clips I think more about are those gentler looking clips on the back of church pews. KWIM? You would push the button to open the clips and they often had fabric covers on the "teeth" of the clip so it wouldn't leave marks in your brim. All told... darned interesting little items there! Quite fun to speculate about, and whatever they are.. they sure seem to be in very nice condition. If it were me.. the horseshoe says Vegas or the horse track. I would try and look into any old horse track museums or archives to see if anything clicks.
    ...See More

I collect vintage hats

Q

Comments (17)
    I have about 40 or so vintage hats, I don't get to wear them much, Easter and such. Recently I lent them to lady who threw a birthday party for a friend, it was a tea party and she supplied the hats and gloves, they had a blast. Also my DH and I went to The Grand Hotel murder mystery weekend one year. Everyone dresses in period clothes. I had plenty hats, jelwery, furs and bags. It was a dream as was the rest of Mackinac Island. Vintage hats and furs are getting hard to find, I used to get them really cheap, now I hardly ever see anything pre 80's.
    ...See More

Wanted to share a great CL find!!

Q

Comments (27)
    Well, little by little I have been able to go through the boxes. The cursory review/sort is just that. Sort out what "appears" to be sellable, box up what's not. I just filled the back of my SUV with "the stuff that's NOT" and so far, I have found a few interesting things. Of ocurse the fur coat, a few neat old frames, an old wood table with bad legs, but a good top. I'll have to figure out with the old bottles, what's what. that will take some time. There has been a mix of old vintage dishes (looks like something we might have had in the 70-80's. And a hodpodge of china plates, platters, and such. Still LOTS of work ahead, but here are some pictures not necessarily some of the best stuff, but maybe worthwhile (the larger bean pot has the blue crown symbol on it meant to turn it so it would show. Many of the china dishes were wrapped up in woman's slips and old pajama bottoms, etc. The bean crocks, were burried in a box of junky xmas decorations, which about didn't catch my attenion. This woman had more wicker than any human being should ever be allowed to have.
    ...See More

Help identifying vintage ornaments.

Q

Comments (7)
    Well, I had planned to put them in my Goodwill pile. I don't display them and think I got them at a garage sale, and I haven't been to a garage sale in 20 years. I actually don't love them, but I posted the pictures to a group of people who collect vintage Christmas items and three people expressed an interest, but I didn't know what to tell them about a price. I think I will give them to one of the people who lives locally. The only reason I thought they could be late sixties or even early seventies is that they remind me of when some Catholic Churches started using a sort of "modern" folk art look in the decor and look of the church, and that is the era. Thanks for your opinions and help.
    ...See More
  • Adella Bedella
    2 years ago

I don't really have a collection of anything. It's often clutter. Dh and I both came from families with hoarding type tendencies because they grew up poor. We sometimes amass things and then realize we have too much stuff and have to declutter. The closest I have to a collection is some eclectic type stuff like gnomes and birds and things to decorate. It's cute, but I don't like to spend a lot of time cleaning it. This house isn't designed for the type of decorating I like.

• Alisande
    2 years ago

Family members might not want whatever it is we'd like to give away, but sites like eBay are still populated by collectors. I'm grateful for them as I've added to the collections of many and continue to do so. Selling online is a fun hobby.

I'm also grateful to my granddaughter, who has an artist's eye plus an appreciation for old things. Her parents are visiting her right now, and they traveled with two bronze statues originally purchased by a family member who died in 1930.

• Uptown Gal
    2 years ago

I collect certain types of Christmas Ornaments...and display (most of them) in a glass

front china cabinet. I love them, but will honestly say, I rarely stop and look at all of

them. I do get a few out for Christmas decorations each year. My GSs will get them whether they want them or not. LOL And, I really don't care what they do with

them, but, I hope they will remember holding them and looking and looking at

them and talking about them when they were just little boys.

• nicole___
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I collect things I enjoy....and use to this day. ♥ I do agree.....collections of Precious Moments is not sought after.

My orchid brooch is solid 18k....and old. I remember wearing it on my lapel when I dressed up to work @ a bank(computer area). My grandmothers rug is threadbare...and has little value....it's used up!

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    2 years ago

I have gotten rid of some of my collectables (when I started they were to go up$$ and now you can't give them away) I do have some Memories of yesteryear and lots of cranberry glass packed in boxes in the basement. I don't know if the kids will want them but I've weeded out lots of things. If they don't want them they can go to goodwill, I've told them what ever they don't from the house should be donated--no estate sale.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I agree that just because one doesn't know people who collect or appreciate vintage and antique things, that doesn't mean nobody does.

But it's also true that value is sometimes overestimated.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

I am not a collector, though I am no minimalist. I have a hard time imagining people today having the interest is maintaining collections of anything.

sal 60, I have a very soft spot in my heart for cranberry glass. I have a lovely cranberry vase, it is one of my favorites.

2 years ago

PS Some mention coming from families where they keep lots of stuff, in my family, my grandmother was quite strict about not having clutter. She considered my mother OTT for often buying things in pairs.

• Fun2BHere
    2 years ago

@greywings123 said, "In my opinion, collecting is fun, having the collection is fun, but someone else's collection is just stuff." I concur.

I like to collect things, but only for my own enjoyment, never with the thought that the collection will have any future monetary value. I have a collection of porcelain miniature buildings made by Royal Crown Derby. They bring a smile to my face when I pass by the small tabletop case where they are displayed.

I have an overabundance of bed and table linens and dishes. Most items get used, but a few are still in original packaging.

I don't care what my heirs do with my things. They can chuck them into a bin for all I care, but I'm not going to get rid of my things just to make my heirs' lives easier. I know that I will be responsible for dealing with my parents' possessions and I have no more sentimentality about those things than I expect my heirs will have about mine. I've already settled the small estates of two grandparents and it wasn't that much trouble. I allowed any relatives to take what they wanted and the rest was sold, donated or discarded.

• Jupidupi
    2 years ago

One person's collection is another person's burden. I am grateful that I am not the acquisitive type. It has enabled me to live lightly, and spend my money on experiences rather than stuff. I grew up in a house with very little clutter. My husband, by contrast, grew up with a mother who valued having lots of stuff. She particularly liked fusty floral English antique stuff. When he became an adult and his parents lost their house, all that stuff fell on him. He feels guilty if he tosses it. I have regular "oopsy daisy" moments when things somehow get broken and have to be discarded. He has shoulder problems, and I remind him that his parents dumped all of their stuff on his shoulders. It's not always easy to get rid of the burden of someone else's collections.

Lots of people hold onto things thinking that they have more monetary value than they actually do. (The Antiques Roadshow Syndrome) They see something in an antique store and think theirs is of equal value. What they fail to consider is the time and effort someone has put into their antique business, and that merchandise can sit around forever. In the end, the cash value of an object is what someone is willing to pay for it at that moment.

• functionthenlook
    2 years ago

My hubby and I like to watch the Antique Roadshow on Monday nights. Since covid they have been showing old episodes and showing what the value was then and the value now. Most of the items have stayed the same or have gone down in value. Not a lot has gone up in value. Furniture is usually the one item that takes the largest loss.

I really don't collect anything. I do like Fostoria and have several pieces I collected over the years, but they don't sit around in a cabinet. I use them and enjoy them.

• bleusblue2
    2 years ago

Julie X.

....< >....

My husband, by contrast, grew up with a mother who valued having lots of stuff. She particularly liked fusty floral English antique stuff. When he became an adult and his parents lost their house, all that stuff fell on him. He feels guilty if he tosses it. I have regular "oopsy daisy" moments when things somehow get broken and have to be discarded. He has shoulder problems, and I remind him that his parents dumped all of their stuff on his shoulders. It's not always easy to get rid of the burden of someone else's collections.

~~~~

I have a hard time getting rid of things my mother made, wore, gave me, etc.

Still, I can usually do it if I remind myself of this:

If she were here she'd be sad that I'm burdened with something just because it was hers. She wouldn't want me to struggle over it because it belonged to her. She would want me to be free and happy.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

No collections, few sentimental or nostalgic possessions. My kids have each said they have no interest in any of our things - I was the same with my parents- so that will make the cleanup easy when my wife and I have breathed our last breaths. I'll try to pare down what we have in the way of material items between now and then.

• woodrose
    2 years ago

Collecting what you like is good, solid advice. There is no point in collecting items just because you hope they will hold, or increase their value. The market value of most antiques and collectibles fluctuate over time, sometimes drastically. We've all seen what happened to Beanie Babies and Longaberger baskets, as the OP mentioned.

There are still things that are very valuable; fine, period furniture pieces, old silver, rare paintings, etc. Certain types of blown glass, such as genuine Murano, are popular right now. Military items and coins seem to always sell. One thing that has surprised me is how much salt and pepper shakers are selling for. I never understood why people collected them and thought they were tacky. Even though I'm beginning to appreciate them more, I still don't understand why an ordinary vintage ceramic set can sell for $10-$15, or more.

Collecting is a fun hobby, especially the searching for new pieces to add to your collection. I don't collect much, and don't really look for more. Since I've gotten older, my priorities and interests have change. I've come to realize what's most important, and it's certainly not " things".

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"Collecting" seems to be falling out of favor. At least in my area, I encounter few homes decorated in what to me is a grandmotherly style. Glass fronted china cabinets, display cases, and shelves with other than books (other than the random knickknacks here and there) are no longer popular.

Gauging by my kid's preferences and what I see with people younger than me, it's not that people take a minimalist approach, simply, a less cluttered one. Homes more commonly don't have dust collecting little thises and thats all over. That suggests a fall in popularity of collecting "stuff", which will result in a fall in value of many prized possessions that people may have expected would face many enthusiastic buyers when offered for sale. I think those days are long gone.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

I think it depends on when, where, what the individuals financial situation was when they were younger and did the parents/family allow them to have something of their own. Many that were in the Depression and WWII collected. Those who were financially insecure when younger are another group. Some whose parents got rid of what a child/teen considered important are a third group. Those few who have always lead a secure life may collect some things but at least the ones I have known collect for the financial value and not an emotional collection. That emotional connection has many facets including just because I can.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Perhaps, maifleur, but people who were adults during the Depression and WWII are long gone. I think this is more of an old fashioned versus modern living difference than one affected by what were the challenges or factors of different eras.

• lucillle
    2 years ago

Some people collect plants. Variegated Monsteras go for as much as $1,000. Collecting African violets is popular with others, and people can ene up having hundreds and buying all sorts of indoor lighting setups. One unusual but popular niche collection is ball pythons, morphs of these snakes can cost many thousands and often people will collect a bunch and try to develop their own morphs.

I know many people who love to collect Christmas decorations/trees. I love to see a tree that has been decorated with carefully chosen, meaningful ornaments.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    2 years ago

I'm so glad I don't care what anyone else thinks of my collections. I mainly have plants and teapots but I have a lot of "things" that bring me great pleasure. I could easily pare down my teapot collection by getting rid of the ones that were gifted to me but I won't because just looking at them reminds of the person and makes me happy that they thought enough about me to give me something to add to a collection I love having. I like things made of glass mainly, so have many different pieces. Most of my furniture belonged to someone in my family at some time or another and again, I like the thought of them when I am using it.

When my parents passed away, the boys in the family wanted absolutely nothing of their possessions. My sisters and I, on the other hand, loved taking pieces and things that meant a lot to our parents. I think that speaks volumes about the difference between men and women. :)

Edited to add: Lucille, you reminded me that I have a Santa Claus collection and almost all of my ornaments have been handed down since the 40's from members of my family. I love putting the tree up and dressing it with the things that gave family members now gone great pleasure.

• amylou321
    2 years ago

I do not know if I am a "collector." I have lots of pink things and lots of heart shaped things, but I USE them. Instead of buying regular cookie sheets,baking dishes, cooking utensiIs,pot ans pans,etc I sought out and bought pink ones. If they were heart-shaped it was a bonus. A BIG bonus. My small appliances HAD to be pink, but again, is it a collection or a preference, I don't know. I have a few sentiment knick knacks. But they were gifts. One of my nephews gives me some sort of charlie brown figure every Christmas. I have some Hummels from my late grandmother, and some random figures that were given to me by people,some that are now passed away. I do not seek to add to the collection. When someone gives me a token like that, it goes in the display. My display is shelves that were built in where the window used to be above my kitchen sink. People bring me their empty glass bottles and jars. I use them to make candles into or i dye them and make them into spooky Halloween decorations for my big display at work. People also bring me all of their extra or no longer wanted christmas decorations. I do not consider those collections either. I have stuff. I like stuff as long as it serves a purpose. That purpose can be only to make me happy.

Oh, I do collect compliments. Whenever I can. Any one wanting to send me one is most welcome to do so.😁

• lily316
    2 years ago

I have a ten-room house crammed with antiques I bought attending auctions and shows for 40 years. I had no other vices, never smoked, drank, did drugs but this was like a drug. I didn't collect one thing but anything from the 1800's. No Victorian, no glassware, dishes, or knick nacks but good old PA country furniture and accessories as quilts,hooked rugs, tramp art, twig stuff, crocks ,redware..etc. My kids are not interested and the young generation isn't so... I run into an old dealer on the trail every day and he agrees but did say the old folk art I collect is still desired. We'll see. It was a hobby before it became a burden.

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

My DH collects books. Since we've retired, he's enjoyed culling his gazillions of books down into the ones he really really loves (still thousands). Lately he's discovered small press specialty books, and he's enjoying the thrill of the chase as new editions are released. I like looking at the bookshelf and seeing a matched set, and seeing how that author has evolved over the years. And they are beautiful, tactile objects.

To me, the act of collecting is about the chase. Harking back to the skills of our hunter and gatherer days, maybe? Knowing what is out there to 'catch', what forms our quarry might take, where it might be hiding, spotting it, capturing it, bringing it home! ... that's the thrill and deep satisfaction of "collecting."

I wonder if the younger generation has fallen out love with collecting objects because it's no longer a thrill. Want something? go to Walmart or Amazon and buy it now. Think it's special? how unique is it if it's mass produced in China? Who's going to dust it while it's on display -- can you afford a cleaning service? How many times are you going to relocate as you establish your career, so better collect something portable. And, I think it takes time for people to develop an appreciation for old things. Like I wish I'd appreciated my grandpa's stories when I was a kid, because back then I thought I'd have them forever.

• sephia_wa
    2 years ago

I think people collect things that are meaningful and personal to them. Expecting to hand down those items to other people who don't have any attachment to them is burdening them with work. I inherited my mother's Depression era glassware. I remember when I was a kid we'd stop at a garage sale and she'd pay a nickel or dime for a piece. It's beautiful, but honestly, I don't use it. It's actually all boxed up in storage. It was meaningful to her. The only thing I collect are magnets from when I travel. The front door to my home is steel, so I place them on the inside of the door. They give me pleasure to look at, and remind me of fun adventures. But I'm not handing them down to anyone. No one else would enjoy them like I do.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Thanks Elmer for telling me that people who were alive during the Depression and WWII are long gone. Two of my husband's aunts who are still alive were married during the war so would have been children during the Depression and the following dust bowl. People who were born in 1940 would only be 81.

• kevin9408
    2 years ago

Not much in my life gives me more enjoyment then visiting the hero's of our past and hearing the stories of there lives. It's something I enjoyed since my 20's but has become harder to find them and they will be missed.

The last WW II veteran I had the honor to talk with was born in 1926 and served in the military weather service the last half of the War. This was a month ago and while on a drive I saw a garage sale sign and a old man sitting in his garage but even if it was cold and rainy I decided to stop in. I spent 3 hours there listening to his life story along with how it was killing him to sell all their items collected over 75 years of marriage, and each had a story, but I felt no connection and just saw junk but understood his pain.

No others stopped while I was there and while looking at a few items he told me "I believes I'll keep those items" but was rewarded with a nice story behind each item. This is what a collectable is to me, something with a meaning in your life and a story to tell about it. My mother has furniture built by my dad's family furniture company established in 1845 and in business until 1963. She has a hand carved bedroom set made by my ancestors so there is meaning and a story to go with it which is priceless to us, but to others no connection and nothing but old "brown furniture" junk.

I'll find a room for it, store it and hopefully one of my mom's millennial grand kids will develop a connection to it in their later years, and if not I'll die with it.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

People who were born in the 1940's weren't adults collecting knickknacks during the Depression or WWII. If you reread my original comment, you'll see that's what I said. Or don't, your choice.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I love to watch Antiques Roadshow too. Not sure who else has noticed that the recent episodes they've been making comparing old appraisals to current ones are mostly from just before the financial meltdown of '08. It is very interesting to see what was 'hot' at that time, and how much of it has diminished in value.

However, when something that was bought for, say $250, and was appraised at $5K in 2007 has diminished to $2K in 2021, that's still not too bad IMO.

Markets are very interesting to me. I enjoy seeing if I can predict whether an item's value has gone up or down, or held steady since those halcyon days.

Don't you think these current trends might be reflecting the state of our economy? There are a small number of extremely wealthy folks who can afford to collect fine art and antiques, compared to the larger majority of people of more modest means, many of whom are in serious financial straits now, due to the pandemic.

• donna_loomis
    2 years ago

In my twenties, I started collecting things. Nothing costly, we didn't have the budget for that. Just little somethings from places we visited. But it didn't take me very long to realize that none of those things brought me joy. They were just more things to take up space and more things to dust. Even those enclosed in glass shelving managed to gather dust. And I do NOT enjoy dusting. As another poster mentioned, I only collect things that I use. Like the Guardian Service cookware, circa 1940, given to me by a friend of my mother. And the Fire King bowls my mother purchased 60+ years ago. I do enjoy these things for the memories and I've broken a few, but the memories are still here.

I'm not a decorator. I don't have many pictures on the walls. The things that give me joy are the people I love and the pets I share my life with.

I think collecting things has gone out of style for the most part. An uncluttered house just looks cleaner and roomier.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

No where did I state what you think I stated, as usual. I mentioned the ones that were alive not ones that were collecting. The experiences of life are what makes a person to decide if they wish to collect. What many are attempting to find homes for are those collections from people who were alive during those times.

"I think it depends on when, where, what the individuals financial situation was when they were younger and did the parents/family allow them to have something of their own. Many that were in the Depression and WWII collected. Those who were financially insecure when younger are another group. Some whose parents got rid of what a child/teen considered important are a third group. Those few who have always lead a secure life may collect some things but at least the ones I have known collect for the financial value and not an emotional collection. That emotional connection has many facets including just because I can."

• wednesday morning
    Original Author
    2 years ago

my, my! I think that people really do enjoy collecting things, judging by the response.

I did really enjoy catching a new coffee mug in the wilds of some flea market! The hunt for them was fun!

But, now I am paring my things way down and I am looking forward to a change of lifestyle for us and I want to go out to a new lifestyle without a burden of things to drag with me.

But, guess what! My coffee mugs are coming with me! I have pared them down to a manageable amount and I really do still enjoy them.

I have a friend who is, basically, in his last days and he was an avid collector of books about certain things. He enjoyed it, but for the last couple of years he says they mostly remind him of the sadness of getting old.

I understand why he feels that way.

I would just rather pass things on at this point in my life and do it while I can do it myself.

Besides, less to move.

Aside from my coffee mugs, I did not so much collect things as much as I just acquired a lot of stuff that I thought was cool.

There is one other thing that I have a collection of and it is kind of an extension of collecting the coffee mugs. I have a small collection of character glass from the 70s, 80s. ???. There was a time when real glass was given out as promotional favors, real glass! But, I like my mugs the best.

• lucillle
    2 years ago

Oh, I do collect compliments. Whenever I can. Any one wanting to send me one is most welcome to do so.

From your hilarious stories of your coworkers to your lovely pink items, you are awesome. I think we are all entertained by your writing, and lately by the wonderful pictures of the new pup.

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Amylou, I agree with everything Lucille complimented you on :-) In addition, I admire your strength of character, loyalty and kindness to your SO, family, and coworkers, and how well you "know yourself" -- at such a young age! You ARE awesome!

Wedsnesday morning -- the fun of the hunt, exactly! "... but for the last couple of years he says they mostly remind him of the sadness of getting old." -- I had not thought of that. It is sort of sad. I wonder if that's in store for me, for us all, as we age? Just one way to find out ... keep going....

2 years ago

Don't you think these current trends might be reflecting the state of our economy?

Rich people who can afford the finest antiques and furnishings are opting for modern minimalism, still. High value art, which to some is simply a financial instrument, as opposed to an aesthetic statement, is still exploding. Signed furniture and antique decorations have an ever shrinking market even at Christie's, Sotheby's, et al.

• Cherryfizz
    2 years ago

I started collecting Pyrex years and years ago before it was trendy so I have a lot, everything from vacuum coffee makers, lab Pyrex, percolators, coffee mugs, roasters, coffee carafes, bread baker, and refrigerator boxes, bowls and everything in between. I use some of it, I have some displayed on top of my kitchen cupboards. When my niece got married I offered her some complete sets of bowls but she turned me down. Now at the age of 45 she loves "vintage" stuff. She has a farm house country kitchen and every week shops at thrift shops to find things. Now she would not turn her nose up at my Pyrex so I told her to come shop my attic for free. I don't collect anything anymore but I have tins of buttons, travel pins from where I visited, don't ask my why but I used to collect those small spoons in the early 1980s. I will thank my dearly departed Aunts for starting me on that collection. I also inherited bins of costume jewelry I have yet to go through. I refuse to have another yard sale so now I am going to start selling items on Facebook Marketplace locally. If I sell something for only $5 that is $5 in my bank account and now I would rather collect money than stuff. I live in the house I grew up in, 7 kids, 2 parents so I still have a lot of stuff that belonged to others. I haven't even been under the eaves in my attic where I know there is more stuff. My Dad collected Popular Science and Popular Mechanics and old Radio magazines some from the early 1920s, and every edition until the 1970s. They used to be lined up on shelves in the attic but one day my youngest brother put them in a huge television box. One time years ago the History department at the University wanted them and I was willing to donate them but my older brother got angry at me for wanting to get rid of them. I am sentimental, he is more sentimental than I am. When my health gets better I have big plans of getting into that attic and getting rid of stuff haha except my childhood dolls and all my Springbok jigsaw puzzles. I even plan to put in my will if no one wants my stuff and it is worth money it goes up for auction and that money can be spread out to my nieces and nephews or their children. I will leave it at "their" discretion to decide if what I have is worth anything to auction off.

• wednesday morning
    Original Author
    2 years ago

cherry, you have a lot of stuff in that attic! All of those old paper things do not fare well over the years. The number of opportunities that you will find for some institution taking them will be limited.

Many have found disappointment to discover how little value so many of these things have,

When my time comes, I want to go out lightly and not leave a wake of stuff behind. My kids are already raising their own families and building their own careers and lives and have homes full of their own stuff. I dont want to leave them more to deal with. Some families may like the idea of handing down all the stuff. I think my kids will be grateful that I have tried to make it easier for them.

As you get older it becomes less and less likely that you are ever going to want to, or have occasion to, interact with some of that stuff. When you are young, there is always the future. When you are old, you have more past than future. Past? Future? I am opting to live for the moment. And, I want to live lightly in the moment and be able to roll with the punches as much as I can. I cant do that if I am living to protect a house full of material objects.

Since I still do enjoy, and use, my one collection. I am taking that with me. It has become something of a running joke in my family as to what to do my mug collection when I am gone. At least it is light hearted fun.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    2 years ago

Donna's comment about an uncluttered house looks cleaner and roomier is one I have thought about a lot but came to the conclusion that I don't think cleaner and roomier would make me happy. Yes, it would be easier to deal with, but I like having lots of things, mainly plants and teapots keeping me company these days. When I think of the ideal room, it is an old English cottage with overstuffed chairs and lots of things about.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    2 years ago

My daughter is an old soul. When we started to downsize about 5 years ago she happily(at age 19) claimed a number of things. My son had no interest. Now 5 years later, he’s married with his own home. Suddenly he realized he let his sister get all the good stuff. Specifically my parents mid century teak bar cabinet. We still have a bunch of my husband’s grandmother’s cast iron. I have told my son and his wife they are welcome to any of it they’d like. Luckily my daughter in law also has an old soul and was thrilled. I know she will appreciate it and that’s all I care about.

• chisue
    2 years ago

We hired a decorator to spiff up our condo before listing it. She donated to Salvation Army and bought a few pieces of flimsy furniture and hotel-bland artwork. She said the name for this minimalism is "Relax".

The idea seems to be that you're not invested in your 'stuff' -- feel free to abuse it/break it, then replace it with similar 'nothing'. It's as impermanent as what you'd buy for your kid's college dorm. IDK...reverse snobbery? (Reminds me of CEO's giving TED talks wearing jeans and T-shirts.)

We had escalating offers on the condo the first day.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Cherryfizz - your house seems like a treasure trove to me! I collect Pyrex too, and use it every day, and vintage Springbok puzzles are my all-time faves 😊

• wednesday morning
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kevin, your post was interesting and touching, but, in my estimation there is a difference between something that you have made an effort to collect and the things that you have acquired through just living and now have an emotional attachment to.

For the old guy sitting there among the debris of his life it is the story of him and the ones he loved.

For me and my coffee mug collection it is/was about the fact that it just captured my fancy. I got infatuated with a couple of mugs that I bought new in a video store, of all places. This was during the administration of the elder Bush. One of the cups was political and one was SNL. They were so intriguing. That followed with a couple of cups of Mickey Mouse and I was on the trail of coffee mugs.

Most of my mugs do not reflect pop media culture. There are ones that celebrate old cars, cartoon characters, witty sayings, small and large business, things that once were but are now gone, different government agencies, a few social causes, and a couple quirky ones with photos of loved ones on them. There are many other subjects on the mugs. There is no one theme to them. Each of them caught my attention at a yard sale or GW store. And that is the reason that they came home with me........they made me smile.

They were the precursor to printed t-shirts as give aways. Now everyone gets a t-shirt with some logos or some such printed on it. I dont think that there are very many of these mugs being produced anymore.

There is a difference between the emotional baggage of the household items that once made your home and the things that you collected with intent. I dont have an emotional attachment to my collection. I enjoy it. I have emotional attachment to the things that made my home or that came to me preloved by those that I loved. Those are the hardest things to part with.

By the way, we do use the mugs. I rotate them in and out of service. When we used to have friends and family around the table, everyone got to choose their own mug when the coffee pot came out and it was just a fun little bit of interaction.

I even used them at daughters wedding to serve the coffee. It was a bit of an unexpected quirk and a light heartedness.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I was just thinking perhaps collecting harkens back to our hunter gatherer heritage - gathering things that strike our fancy...?

• highdesertowl
    2 years ago

My kids (in their 20s) have been thrilled to discover that several of the Pokemon cards of their childhood are now worth hundreds of dollars. My son, that really took care of his cards, has a couple that should sell for over 1K each. My other son is banging his head on the wall as he realizes several of the Magic cards he sold for $50 as a kid, are now worth over $500 each. My daughter's original Monster High dolls have appreciated into the 100s--if she hadn't played the heck out of them. They are desperately wishing for a time machine so they could go back and tell their younger selves to take better care of their stuff :)

Does it count as vintage if its only 20 years old?

• kevin9408
    2 years ago

Pokemon cards worth thousands? I have a pile of them sitting in a box out in the garage. I'm rich!!

• highdesertowl
    2 years ago

LOL kevin--as always, its all about the "condition", but my son did just send about 150 cards to Troll and Toad, and got a check for $670. He said the market value was double that, but he didn't want to deal with selling them on ebay individually. He plans to send another stack this week--and will also have a couple of his high value cards professionally graded for individual sale.

• jill302
    2 years ago

I have been somewhat of a collector. That said I never really spent a lot of money on collections, as mentioned it is the thrill of the hunt is a big part of the enjoyment. For many years I have collected mid-century Christmas figurines. They must have a shiny finish. I have to personally find them at a second hand store or estate/yard sale. Do not have very many of these due to my self imposed restrictions, but really enjoy the ones I have. I also collect Starbucks location coffee cups, I only collect when on vacation and generally 1 per trip. I actually have managed to get quite a collection of these, drinking my coffee from a Portland cup right now. Also, have collections of vintage purses and Candlewick glassware. To be honest I rarely add to these right now as I have more than needed, yet if something really special came along I would be open to adding another piece.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County