SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Getting rid of perfectly good things you never use

3katz4me
2 years ago

I'm working through this right now. Our community has an annual garage sale - essentially a weekend when many households have garage sales at the same time. I've only had two garage sales in my life but I decided I'd do this as a good motivator to go through all the boxes I haven't unpacked since we moved six years ago - two houses included. Plus my neighbor has some furniture and other items so we decided to do it together - delayed a year by Covid. Whatever doesn't sell will be donated.

I've finally been through all "my" boxes - DH won't let me get rid of any of his stuff. We have two tents that haven't been used in 30-40 years - he won't part with them. (I did manage to throw the moldy backpacks away before we moved.) Now I'm on to looking in every drawer, closet, cupboard, etc. for more stuff to get rid of.

Today I came upon two grill/griddle type pans - never been used. One was a freebie with the All Clad cookware I got about 15 years ago. The other came with my induction range five years ago. I looked longingly at the lovely items and finally talked myself into getting rid of them because I know I'll never use them. I prefer my electric griddle on the rare occasion I make pancakes or french toast. I also pondered my two turkey roasting pans - haven't made a TG turkey since our parents died 15-20 years ago. Haven't been able to bring myself to part with those yet. I suppose I might make a turkey some day though I'm not as fond of that kind of meal as I used to be.

For some reason I have a giant Revereware pot that hasn't been used since I don't know when. I also don't know what I bought it for. I think I needed a larger pot for a crowd and it was on sale but after I used it I decided it was way too big. I can't imagine I'll ever use this especially if it's not induction compatible but I'm not quite ready to put it in the to go pile. I also have old Revereware in a box at my cabin that I thought I'd use there but haven't unpacked it in five years. That really should go too. I can't bring myself to part with the electric fry pan I got as a wedding gift 43 years ago because it reminds me of childhood - my mom made a lot of stuff in one of those. I don't think I've used it in at least 20 years. I thought it would be good for frying bacon (which I rarely do) but I've learned to cook that in the oven. On the plus side I have decided to part with a bunch of cookbooks I never use including some with sentimental value.

We are in our mid-60s. I really want to get rid of all the extra crap so someone else doesn't have to do it when we're dead. We don't have kids so hard to say who will be saddled with the burden of all the stuff when the time comes.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County