SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnben129

Does anyone know what type of trees these are?

lynnben129
2 years ago

I saw these trees in the photo on Houzz and would like to know what they might be, do they grow in that shape or are they trimmed. Thank you, Lynn

In Town Country Garden · More Info

houzz.com/hznb/photos/in-town-country-garden-traditional-landscape-chicago-phvw-vp~120452262

Comments (11)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

It's a bit too distant to determine the exact species, but there is a very good possibility they are European hornbeams, Carpinus betulus. These are extremely amenable to pleaching and hedging and are used frequently for this purpose.

lynnben129 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • lynnben129
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thank you so much. I having been trying so hard to identify these trees. I want them in Washington for a border and thought they might work. What is pleaching?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Meant in the nicest possible way, but I think you could google the term in the time it would take someone to type out an explanation. And you'd find videos too.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

I agree with floral that Googling, especially an image search, will provide a better explanation than I could possibly write out. A picture IS worth a thousand words in this case :-) One of the best descriptions of pleaching I've encountered is "a hedge on stilits".....which pretty much describes your inspiration photo to a T!!

Pleaching can also involve other training and pruning methods depending on the effect desired. This is a photo of a pleached hornbeam wall at a botanical garden near where I live in WA state:

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

its is heavily sheared .. using a cherry picker no doubt ... or a very large ladder and at least 3 men to move it around ...

including access from behind.. which might be a neighbors property ...

ken

lynnben129 thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Ken, if you are referring to the pleached wall in the photo, it is only about 10' tall, easily handled by a single individual with an orchard ladder and only needs attention once a year. Judging by the height of the wall and gate in the inspiration photo, those trees are about the same height or not much taller.

Anyone who opts for this sort of highly groomed feature in their garden would - I hope - be aware of the maintenance involved. It is not overwhelming!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

A further point... you posted under conifers, so I imagine you thought the trees in the picture were evergreen. They’re not. But a pleached hedge, even in winter, provides a fair screen and two of the commonest pleaching subjects, beech and hornbeam, retain their brown leaves through the winter. Some people like that look. Some don't.

lynnben129 thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • lynnben129
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. From the picture it appeared to be a conifer. I was surprised to see it wasn't, so thank you so much. Thank you also for the help with term pleaching. I've never heard of it before and I did goggle it for reference. I really appreciate all the help and information on a subject I am not familiar with. This is the first time I have used this forum and will defiantly do it again. Thank you again everyone.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

no gal.. i meant the first pic.. those trees are not 10 feet tall .. the gate is at least 6 feet tall at the center.. the garage behind is at least 15 feet tall .. and the trees are bigger than both ...

my caution is what i could do when i was 20.. or 30 .. and well into my 40s.. is not something i can do today ... and if i had to pay for this type of maintenance.. i could not do it ... but then.. from the first pic.. those peeps arent really worried about budget ... theyll just have the majordomo call the butler and tell him to call the gardener.. who will call the guys who will come do it .. lol ...

the problem with finding random pix online.. is you randomly dont know where the planting is.. and it really doesnt matter what the plants in the pic are ... because you will never know if they will grow in your area ...

the better post may have been.. what can i use to make tree line like this ... and others have already offered such suggestions ...

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

I am going to disagree with your assessment, ken :-) I don't believe the stone pillars and gate are anywhere close to 6' tall and the garage so far away, it can't be used to compare scale. If one of the trees was right smack in front, I might change my opinion, but from the perspective shown, I doubt the trees are even as tall as the garage, let alone taller.

fyi, the hornbeam can grow darn near anywhere (z4).