SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anya_samek

Would you live with this layout or know how to change it?

Anya S
3 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi! I am new to Houzz. We are under contract for a house that is in a desirable area of San Diego, but is a funky layout. I think it will work for us but I am concerned about resale. Our area has both cheaper homes that are "tear downs" and more expensive homes that are brand new. This one is in the middle price-wise and condition-wise and therefore works for us (but hard to find comps). Due to the Covid situation there are almost no options right now. We do not plan to sell for a while, but in case we have to for some reason, would you personally like this layout? Anything you would change as you live there? Unlike some other houses we've been outbid on so far that had many offers, this one only got two and the other offer was below ours.

I also posted a separate comment on "kitchens" about whether I can move some things around more specifically.

View is from living room to kitchen area.

Thank you!

** Edited to remove the photos since we have decided not to proceed with buying the place.

Comments (59)

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

I think if you look closely the bedroom that appears not to have a closet has one. Either with sliding or accordion doors. If you are considering the house so your children can run down the hall you need to rethink that as children would be more likely to be running through the kitchen between the two bigger rooms. That is just what children do. I would pass on this house for that reason.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

HA! Isn't it funny how
    we all have different opinions. You liked it enough to bid on it, so as long as
    the layout works for you, don’t be concerned about resale -- it will sell. Especially with that gorgeous view out the
    living room...

• Related Discussions

What would you change with this layout?

Q

Comments (3)
    ttn Congrats on your new home & remodel Have you read through the below link? Lots of great advice there. How many in the household? ages, how many cook? Do you entertain? Have you considered the proposed layout and is it structurally possible to be removing the walls? As with all designs something gained/something lost measurements must be weighed. In yours -you gain wide open floor plan You lose pantry, more formal dinning, landing space coming in from garage (more of a barrier in orig plan), wet bar ?'s - I only see one window - at sink area, are there other windows? Considerations - -Is the garage entry the most frequently used? Do you have a mud room/area - If not, where will coats/hats, shoes etc be placed? - Are the walls in orig plaster? - Are you effected by noise? Opening the proposed walls will increase the noise on that whole level, especially if the walls are plaster. - Will you be able to enjoy dinning, enjoy guests while being able to view the kitchen mess? Here is a link that might be useful: Read me
    ...See More

Sudden change in personality/would you press to know why?

Q

Comments (12)
    Well it seems as though most of us would definitely try to get a straight up answer, rather than just ending a relationship without really knowing why someone suddenly changed. Today my friend got a chance to see him, and she did decide to try one last time to get to the bottom of things. He hasn't been spending much time with her lately at all, and when he does see her, he's barely communicative. Anyway, he revealed that perhaps he is going through a mild depression, because he is currently overwhelmed with a very heavy project at work, as well as under a lot of stress with having to handle many things for his parents right now, since he is an only child and they have no one else to rely on. Anyway, she has agreed to put the break up on the shelf for the time being, to allow him to address his depression. He says he really loves her and did not even realize how much his mood was tempered by his exhasution, and how much it had affected their relationship. While she was aware of a hectic workload and ongoing problems with caretaking for his parents, he had given her no idea just how bad things had become, and how overwhelmed he was feeling. I guess it's good she really probed him to consider anything that has been different in his life lately, because he didn't seem to even clue into the fact that his sheer exhaustion had manifested as ambivalence about their relationship. Hopefully they will be able to recapture that 'loving feeling' once he addresses those issues. He now understands how close he came to losing her, and how important it is to open up and communicate BEFORE things reach a crisis point.
    ...See More

What would you change in this kitchen layout?

Q

Comments (11)
    You could move the fridge to the pantry wall, with the ovens beside it, similar to one of these layouts: If you pull the fridge forward far enough for the doors to clear the pantry, you can have an extra-deep appliance garage, and the functional flow would be the same, but in reverse of the current plan. There wouldn't be as much prep space between the sink and cooktop, as in your plan, but it exceeds the NKBA recommended minimum of 36".
    ...See More

What would you change about this midcentury modern living room?

Q

Comments (25)
    Some thoughts: --Leave the sofa where it is for your TV watching--this type of setup. Perhaps you intended your credenza to go in the nook with TV over it? If so, good idea. --Place your floor lamp in the corner to the right of the window. --Bring the chair closer to become part of the sofa area that will be reachable when you get a coffee table. --Think about getting a narrow-sh MCM chest for next to the front door for keys, gloves, etc. with a round mirror over it. Craigslist is good for this, credenzas, and coffee tables, usually for no more $$$ than brand new. If you are going brand new, then West Elm carries a lot of this style. --Get a great painting for over the fireplace. --
    ...See More
  • Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi all - Yes so it does have a view of the ocean, which is beautiful!! It does have build potential (up or back) but is priced too high right now for someone to buy for a tear down, and we wouldn't personally be able to build on it. The third bedroom does not have a closet. We're in a market where it has been impossible to try to buy due to particularly low supply/high demand and I'm a little surprised our offer was actually accepted so now I'm asking myself if it will have trouble reselling. It is reassuring to hear positive thoughts about the layout. Though I do have to think about the running through kitchen thing more. I have never had a kitchen like that in a spot like that.

• Beth Allen
    2 years ago

I think a "no running in the kitchen" rule is a fine place to start; just as there is no running in restaurants (I used to be a waitress ;/ )

Anya S thanked Beth Allen
  • LJ JL
    2 years ago

I like it, but I don't have kids, so don't have to worry about their bedrooms being too close. I love that all the rooms have plenty of windows.

Anya S thanked LJ JL
  • Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks @Beth Allen , ths is a good rule! @LJ JL I also liked the light and I think the funky layout is partly what is giving it that feature. Many of the homes in the area are right up against each other and don't have a lot of light from the sides.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    2 years ago

Weedyacres has a good idea. The expense wouldn't be excessive depending on how you extend the kitchen. But if you like it now I would buy it and not worry about resale unless you are planning to live in it for only a few years. It IS funky, but that is attractive to many potential buyers. The ocean view guarantees that someone will always want it.

Anya S thanked RappArchitecture
  • Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@weedyacres Wow, I love this! I kept thinking about extending the kitchen the other direction, and it was awkward. but this is more sensible. This also fits much better with the way we plan to live in it - we have two kids and each could have their own room without one of their rooms having the double door access to the living. Our realtor also mentioned the master bathroom is an awkward layout. If you were to change things around there, do you have any suggestions of what you would do (or do you think it is fine)?

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@weedyacres do you think such a long galley kitchen would be odd? I have never had a galley kitchen so I am not sure

• JP L
    2 years ago

I replied on your kitchen thread, but as someone who bought in another hot market a couple of years ago (Los Angeles), I can tell you that the deal-breakers for a purchase exist, but your layout wouldn't raise any immediate or insurmountable red flags (like adjoining rooms or having the third bedroom detached from the rest of the house, etc. - real things we saw often in our home search!). Personally, as the tired and stressed working mom of a toddler, your primary bath is a dream come true (I'd kill for all that space!), and I think with two closets available for the primary bedroom, I could live with that for a long time with no changes (I'd give my husband the one in the bathroom and claim the larger one on the other side of the bedroom). I'd consider closing off the door in the primary bath if it were here, only because of security issues (something you may be fortunate enough to not have to worry about in San Diego). But if that door provides access to a hot tub or something, that's another story. The closet in the dining room is a little odd (both in location and shape), but could present a positive if you have a need for lots of storage.

I really like WeedyAcres layout changes with one exception - I wouldn't carve that shower stall (which is super small) out of an already small kid's bedroom. I'd put a shower over the tub for the kids' bath and keep that area as a reach in closet in the bedroom. For the other small bedroom, you could use wardrobes and other furniture based storage (I had this in my bedroom as a kid in an older home, and it was more than sufficient).

All in all, having the ocean that close would come with so many lifestyle benefits that it would far outweigh any of those minor concerns over layout, honestly. What a great home! I think you hit the jackpot!

I also remember well the stress of finally having an offer accepted in a competitive market and all of the second guessing - I think it's normal with such a big purchase.

• c9pilot
    2 years ago

The market in San Diego is crazy. You are so lucky to be under contract with a great funky house. It's unique and I love it. I don't think there are any unsurmountable issues here.

• anj_p
    2 years ago

I think anyone who would say they wouldn't live in it hasn't lived in CA. The view alone is enough. I think the house is super cool...I would love to see the backyard area.

Yes, the kitchen is not in a great space in the house. Maybe eventually if you want to spend another $100k you can swap it with the dining room, but really for the views alone I would buy it.

I like weedyacres' changes, and I would definitely paint that wall to blend in instead of sticking out like a sore thumb with that gray/blue color. I'd also see if I could move the entrance to that bedroom to the hall, and add a bedroom closet where the pocket doors are (which would give an automatic sound buffer). Or just use an armoire. If you're worried about noise with young kids, get a sound machine. Or use your dining room as your TV room and make the living room a dining room/sitting room.

BTW my toddler knows not to run through the kitchen while I'm cooking. You just need to make the rule and be firm on it.

• weedyacres
    2 years ago

@JP L that's not a shower stall, that's a longer closet. In my hacking up I got lazy and just wrote words in that part, instead of drawing it more elegantly as a bigger closet.

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JP L Thank you! This is a great perspective and I really appreciate it. This is the first house that we liked that didn't get a bunch of cash offers and so I'm nervous there is a problem. On the other hand that is what allowed us to get our offer accepted! Our realtor thought it didn't get as many offers because it is not "turnkey" and has a strange layout. Also - I've already claimed the closet in the bedroom! We have a fenced in yard so I think security-wise we are okay. We just moved from LA (we were renting there for many years but always knew we'd end up moving because of my job) and I'm excited to finally own.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 years ago

I should add, that I didn't realize until after I made my comment that you had already had your offer accepted. I agree with what others have said. There are no deal breaker problems with the layout. A water view, I also didn't realize until after I commented and that is quite a plus.

I also would find a redesign of the kitchen and creating a large eat in kitchen rather than a formal DR would be a huge improvement for me. And I would see it as an opportunity. You would have the room for as big a kitchen as anyone could want and if there is an exit to the back of the house there, you might think of adding a mud room area to combine with the kitchen, or a laundry on the first floor or both. Just another option to consider.

You do have a great walk-in closet in the Master Bedroom and Master Bath, which the benefit of cannot be overstated. lol

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks @anj_p. Yes I'm planning to paint everything a lighter white. I don't know why the prior owners decided to accent that wall! It is an eyesore. I think in weedyacres plan they were saying to extend the closet along the entire wall (not add a shower). But I think I might turn that corner into the closet and make the bedroom larger (though it wouldn't be square then, so maybe not)

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@prairiemoon2 z6b MA We did have the offer accepted but haven't lifted the inspection contingency yet. At the inspection this week we found many issues, and I'm now weighing how eager I am to proceed. In addition to the various major things that we have to do (roof replacement, sewer replacement), the finishes are a lot worse than I remembered from first seeing the house. E.g., floors are so worn they may need full replacement, lots of broken tiles in bathrooms, peeling countertops, etc. The house is not that old but very heavily lived in. So I'm trying to figure out whether/when to make those fixes.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 years ago

Oh boy Anya, so disappointing. I really sympathize with you. It's such a horrid market for buyers. I have considered looking and just can't deal with the pressure of trying to find something with 10 other buyers breathing down your neck. You were smart to put an inspection contingency in and it gives you time to consider what you want to do.

• weedyacres
    2 years ago

The only downside to your kitchen is that it's a walkway to the dining room and back yard. Galley kitchens can be very efficient and user-friendly. You wouldn't want your prep space spread out over 20' long, but you now have space for pantry cabinets on the end, or maybe some storage cabinets facing the living area if you've got excess kitchen space now.

I'd probably move the stove to the (longer) sink wall and use the opposite wall for a microwave and/or coffee bar and/or wall oven(s), with some counter landing space. Get thee to the kitchen forum and work on layout ideas.

The bathroom doesn't strike me as awkward, other than the really long walk to the toilet. Is there something that feels off to you?

And all your natural light is completely To. Die. For.

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You are right, it is a stressful market. Places are getting 10, 20, some 40 offers around here. This one just had 2.

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@weedyacres These are all great ideas! Yes, I will plan to spend more time doing layout. I do like keeping the galley kitchen so I can have the end space as another hangout area, it is important to me to have separate hang out areas since we are a family of four. The natural light was one of my favorite things about the house. Around here some houses try to maximize their sq. footage, which means most windows are up against walls/other houses, and this one is not. So I have now answered my own question about the pros of this house! Do you think if I extend the kitchen I can keep these cabinets and add to them? They are good condition, just worn/scratched.

• weedyacres
    2 years ago

Yes, you can add cabinets to an existing kitchen. You can also remove them, shuffle them around, and put them back together. However, you may not be able to find exact matches of color and door style. And you may not have the most efficient result. For example, drawer bases are way more functional than door bases, but you've got mostly doors. So the best result would be from all new cabinets that match, are in the right layout for your space, and give you maximum function.

My recommendation depends on the budget that you've got. And the timing. And your DIY skills. If you've got $100K today, then do a full remodel, refinish your floors, move the walls and doors, expand the bathroom. If you've got $10K now, and $20K a year from now, then do the walls and floor now and get some cheap stock cabinets at a Big Box or Ikea that won't match, but will give you more function in the near term. Throw a new prefab laminate counter over top, with a new sink, and live with it while you plan the big remodel. Maybe the hall bath expansion happens a year from now, and the kitchen a couple years after that, with Ikea.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    2 years ago

Before worrying about the kitchen I'd focus on the needed repairs. Roofs and sewers aren't cheap, but they're more necessary than an improved kitchen. Make sure you have good, concrete estimates on how much those repairs will cost. The light and views will most likely make it all worthwhile, but you need to know what you're getting into.

Long term, if you decide to proceed and fix what needs to be fixed, when budget permits I would consider pushing the kitchen out (down on the plan) unless setbacks prevent. A more rectangular kitchen will be more functional than a very long galley kitchen, and you would be able to create a workspace outside of the passage from living to dining rooms.

• weedyacres
    2 years ago

Where's the laundry room?

• JP L
    2 years ago

Assuming it’s in the garage (assuming there’s a garage?)? Pretty common in Southern California.

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Rapp - you are right, we are already doing roof and sewers and hopefully will be able to negotiate a partial credit from the seller. We won’t ever be able to expand outward due to property lines (we are a few feet of our fence on each side) so my primary concern was if we lived in this space for the next 10-15 years, can we make it work. I should’ve made that clear! You’re right though, that would be the obvious choice.

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Laundry is in the detached garage. I’d love to move it inside, maybe in the storage room off the kitchen?

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    2 years ago

Shouldn't the seller pay for the roof and sewer issues? Our inspection found that the roof was leaking and the seller paid for it. Cosmetic issues are on you, but big items that were not apparent during showings are on the seller. If you back out, then they have to disclose whatever you found to the next potential buyer.

Also, here a bedroom has to have a closet. How is the third "bedroom" a bedroom without a closet (the one next to foyer)? If you are concerned with resale, going from a 3BR to a 2BR is a big deal.

Listen to your gut. Don't buy this house just because "there aren't any other houses", "it's a crazy market" etc. It was not as bad as it is now, but inventory was low when we were looking. We looked for a long time. I look back and think about all the houses that we almost settled on. I am glad we held out for the right one. I hope you listen to yourself so that you do not end up with buyers remorse. It is too big of a purchase for that. I will have to find your post with the ocean view. Sounds lovely.

I don't have a galley kitchen and still my kids want to run through the kitchen. You just teach them to not run through the kitchen.

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

I LIKE it! It looks like part of the reason for the layout was to maximize windows. It's fab. Who wants average?

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Mamaham. We knew about the roof (it is apparent from the street, pieces flying off it (!) and sellers already said it is on the buyer to fix. So we need to get a credit for other parts of the roof that had issues, and sewer. There were many cosmetic issues I hadn’t noticed before too and I personally think we need to get a credit for those too (like a huge area of cracked tile in the bedroom). Yep, it is technically a 2BR due to no closet, and is listed that way. It does meet a lot of what we are looking for (mostly, location wise but I also love light and a nice sized yard) so I am more worried about resale than anything. That and being able to make the kitchen bigger later. Our realtor thought it didn’t get lots of offers due to the funky layout and due to the roof so I thought I’d crowdsource what others thought. I’m glad you found a house you liked!

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

From your comment, "we are already doing roof and sewers" you need to stop until the house is yours. Receiving quotes is one thing but if by already doing you are having the repairs done the current owner could decide not to continue the sale and only return your deposit. Never put money into something you are buying until you are the owner.

• lydcrafts
    2 years ago

Love the layout, and I think it could work for anyone who comes along in future, it’s funky and functional. I might do something in meantime to change the doorway of the front bedroom into the living area, and instead make it into the hallway if I could. And I thought a room could only be called a bedroom of it has window and closet...would you need to add one?

• thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

I agree w lydcrafts about that - assuming you wish to use it as a bedroom. But if used as an office or den then the opening is fine. I also like the house - lots of potential. Maybe consider patio doors to outside full deck from bedrooms for full indoor outdoor living.

• thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

And maybe take the door off the master bath toilet room. That inswing door is dangerous and the toilet positioning is already pretty private.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

The layout doesnt bother me. It would be nice if the kitchen were a bit bigger, but, it is doable the way it is. I like it. I also wouldnt worry about resale, it will sell if you need to sell later.

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all! @thinkdesignlive that's a cool idea about indoor/outdoor. Requires more work than I currently can do but nice to think as an option later. @lydcrafts yeah technically third room is not a bedroom. I don't think anyone in this market cares much... @maifleur03 of course! we are not doing them now. Someone else had noted I shouldn't plan the interior/kitchen before I fix major issues, so I meant that we are already planning on those after the sale.

• AbbyJoy
    2 years ago

I think the house and location are worth it and the layout could easily be improved. Building on weedy's great suggestions for kitchen, second bath, etc... I hear you value the 2 master closets, but the master bath seems to have a lot of wasted space, the WC and shower are very small and tub oversized. If it were mine, I'd consider that wing a blank space to fit in a deluxe shower, no tub, nice closet and possibly laundry?

I'd get an estimate for running an exterior wall across that 'cut-out' area between master bath and bdrm, 2 windows' views and ventilation are blocked anyway. Maybe also move the exterior door for primary bdrm access to patio.

If you could made the new master closet large enough, the front bdrm could use the corner closet. The location alone definitely makes it worthwhile improving the layout to work for your family.

Anya S thanked AbbyJoy
  • NaturalLight
    2 years ago

From your photo, I think a fabulous barn door would look great on the bedroom off the living room. I love the light and uniqueness of the place! Congrats!!

• Ilove MyLife
    2 years ago

A barn door would not fit and prevents lots of wall decor options. Barn doors are for exteriors.

• Ilove MyLife
    2 years ago

You definitely need "MORE KITCHEN", so consider weedyacre's plan. That piece of wall that made a hall was driving me crazy in the OP.

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    2 years ago

Curious... did you end up going through with the contract to buy this house??

• PRO
    CoolAir Inc.
    2 years ago

This is a nice house though the kitchen is a bit smaller than the overall place.

• gyr_falcon
    2 years ago

Curious... did you end up going through with the contract to buy this house??

I'm not sure if the OPer is returning. But it appears the house went back on the market, with a $45,000 increase in price.

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi :) I am still here. After some drawn-out negotiations that didn't go very far, we decided it wasn't a good fit. House ended up needing a lot of work in addition to the roof - sewer leaking, termite damage, attic insulation needs replacement, tree removal, etc.

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry @Mamaham_NC_Zone7 I didn't get an alert earlier that you had made a comment.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 years ago

Anya, I think you were right to walk away from it. That's a LOT of work for an owner to feel they were in a position to negotiate you into a higher price. Wow. I hope you find something more reasonable that is more of what you need.

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    2 years ago

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you made the right decision to walk away. Did they really raise the price and relist? Then they have to disclose what your inspection found also, I think??

• Anya S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@prairiemoon2 z6b MA thanks. Hope it was the right decision!. @Mamaham_NC_Zone7 yep they did - that seems to happen a lot in my area right now, places go out of escrow and are re-listed higher.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

Oh yea -- that's a lot of negatives, sewers and termites would have be running in the opposite direction!