SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Meet Harry, my 26+ year old... rubber plant?

This is the very first plant that I ever bought, 26-27 years ago:

We named him Harry :-) I THINK he's a rubber plant, but I'm not positive.

He's a tough one, though! He survived YEARS of me having no idea how to take care of a plant, and at one point every limb had died! A friend came over one day and helped me save him, though; they cut off all of the dead limbs so there was really nothing but root and one tiny little sprout, and over the years you can see that he's definitely rebounded! He's over 4' tall now.

The question I have, though, is how to make him thicker at the bottom? You can see that most of the limbs have growth in the top 6-18", but that leaves 2-3' of empty stalk.

I read online that I could nick the limb and it would promote growth, but that didn't seem to work.

I WISH that I could prune him down to be closer to 2' tall, but that would remove the majority of the leaves! Would new leaves grow on the remaining bare limb?

He's in a South-facing window. I water him weekly, and give him 4 Jobe's fertilizer spikes 2-3 times /year. You can also see that I have several stakes for support, with most of them tied to the limbs and then tied to a center stake to keep them from falling over.

TIA!

Comments (14)