SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_grove91

Grandma’s room needs help

M Grove
3 years ago

Hi there! I have been trying to help my grandma improve her bedroom. So far, we’ve painted the walls and had tile put in. She already had her furniture, so I bought her new bedding. Now, I’m unsure about her curtains. I don’t know what color they should be. Right now we have them up temporarily with a tension rod but we will be replacing the rod and curtains. Any ideas as to what color would go with the furniture/bedding?

Comments (44)

• JustDoIt
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Not a pro but on my monitor, the wall paint color seems to be off from the floor color. If this is true maybe a different wall color is called for.

Edit: When I made the picture larger the difference was not that bad.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

May we see all 4 walls? Whatever you do about curtains, they need to be 2 1/2 times wider than the window they hang on. Here's the best way; even if they close you should be able to open them completely and have them stack back on the walls so all the light possible comes into the room. Ordering online enables you to get longer lengths. Does she like flowers? Here's a rug...

Dilek Transitional Floral Area Rug, Ivory, 7'10'' X 10'3'' · More Info

• Related Discussions

Dining room isn’t finished. Need help balancing room.

Q

Comments (4)
    Try turning the rug and table perpendicular to the window. Lower the chandelier to 32" over table top. The window treatment with the dark bottom is what is making the room look unblanced. Too much dark at eye level. Then consider a tall rectangular piece of art for he bare wall. Try a triptych. These are from greatbicanvas. Frame in gold so all works with the shade of the light, https://www.fotoviva.co.uk/news/interior-design-tips/a-guide-to-hanging-split-canvas-prints/
    ...See More

Hello need help picking colors . Have open living room dinning room

Q

Comments (2)
    I’m trying to get a color to go with the gray couches . Not sure the light gray at bottom of pic or the darker gray at top of same pic. Putting in a dark gray rug . Theirs a red accent wall thinking of paint the dark teal at bottom of other photo. Not sure to paint entrance with dark gray and the living room with light gray or opposite way . Any help would be appreciated thanks .
    ...See More

help!!! I need to choose a colour to go in my living-room /dining-room

Q

Comments (25)
    Sounds like a fireplace re-do might be a longer-term fix. In the meantime, I'd paint the mantle a dark brown, a similar colour to your end tables. It's not trim and shouldn't be white. It pops out too much in the white colour. Another idea that doesn't involve any ripping-out is to go right over the existing mantle using a mantle slipcover in wood. Here's one of many how-to's on the internet. If you stained your brick as well, you could have a whole new look. https://www.fwmadebycarli.com/2011/01/making-of-slip-covered-mantel.html
    ...See More

Need help with living room/dining room paint and decor

Q

Comments (29)
    Yes, arrangement looks much better!! If you are anxious to paint, you could roll out the Natural Wicker, as you are going to need a primer anyway over that deep paint. Won't hurt to use is as basically a primer. I can't really recommend a paint until you are finished with the room. Your next step will be chairs, lamps, end tables, lamps (I would get a nesting coffee table or oval), art and drapes (which are too short).
    ...See More
  • HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I agree. Paint before anything.
    Hang the rod higher. Simple curtains. Navy. White. Anything.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

If it wouldn't 'show' and it wouldn't bother, could use spring rod for larger window [inside mount], and lookalike rod [outside mount] for narrower window, but installed as wide as the larger window's rod.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Beige with pretty stitching, and other colors, about $100

Damask Embroidered Quilted 4 Piece Bed Spread Sets, Beige, Queen · More Info

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

I thought the OP said she just bought the bedding??? Now she needs things to work with it.

• Bonnie Folk
    3 years ago

if those floors are in a grey tone, I would repaint the walls to a light grey. And I would change the bedspread to something in the blues

• everdebz
    3 years ago

oops, but the cutie warm pillow I just posted ok to throw nearby hues in

Pillow Decor - Cherry Cross on Sand Rectangular Decorative Pillow · More Info

Velvet Multi Stripes Throw Pillow, Mauve and Scarlet, 20" X 20" · More Info

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Could be the lighting, but it feels a bit drab. Also, the colors should be somehow made to feel more connected.

The best way to improve the above is with floral curtains that contain the room‘s colors and use a light pattern; these might work well.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/The-Curated-Nomad-Conchita-Floral-Curtain-Panel-Pair/20881887/product.html?refccid=UYJXMRFPPGCL5GCLUOREW7672Y&searchidx=16&kwds=floral+curtains&rfmt=&option=18743169

You should hang both rods closer to the ceiling. If you use a longer rod that is the same width as the headboard, the panel behind could be so pretty. See below.

I‘d fold back the bedspread and layer bed with lighter, softer accents and add some lighter patterned cushions that complement floral curtains.

A new ceiling light would also be a nice addition.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Grey and gold metallic for her? and crystal lamp, just touch of glam...

5-Light Antique Bronze Wheel Chandelier With Crystals · More Info

Paintbrush Flower, 14"x14" Velvet Plum Pillow Covers · More Info

20W x 19H / chain Length: 39 can be shortened by removing links. Maximum Height: 59 in. Takes five (5) max 60-watt candelabra (E12) bulbs (not included) Dimmable with a dimmer switch and the right type of bulb

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

I don't know about gramma's age or infirmities, but curtains to the floor in tight quarters might become a trip hazard. What if she has a walker or cane?

Maybe just do nice top down/bottom up blinds for a cleaner, fresher feel, and it might be safer, too.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Grandma needs a comfortable upholstered chair. If she likes to read, there should be a side table and a lamp as well. I’d also add a foot stool if there is enough space. The floor, wall color and too- long “draperies” don’t work together.

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I like Jennifer’s curtains but hung at the ceiling line.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

If these grommets work with yours, what about a sheer over yours? an airy, romantic look.

Wilshire Burnout Sheer Grommet Top Window Curtain Panels - 54" X 84", Set of 2 · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Embroidered, Sheer Sateen Panels / Scrolly leaves -

2nd pair has quatrefoil pattern.

Brook 2PC Embroidered Grommet Sheer Panels, White, 108"x63" · More Info

Miller 2PC Sheer Grommet Embroidered Panels, Beige, 108"x84" · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Jennifer's nice !

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

Very sweet. I think White ruffle curtains like either if the below that go floor to ceiling would be great on a dark wood rod that matches the bed set

• tlynn1960
    3 years ago

In case there are any mobility issues now or looming in the near future, walk around the room with a yardstick at your middle-you need at least that much clearance to safely move in the space so that feet/clothing aren't catching on furniture or fabrics. Plenty of lighting and avoid throw rugs. AARP had a free HomeFit guide online with tips for a safe space.

• M Grove
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow! Thank you all so much for the advice!! I greatly appreciate it and know that my grandma will too! She is 68 and can move around on her own but I will definitely take the concerns into account for the the future. Never even thought about trip hazards. The colors are a little off in photos than in person. The walls are Sherwin-Williams Maison Blanche and the floor tile is like a grey mixed with sand color. Originally the walls were a dark brown but Grandma wanted this instead. She also wanted the rust colored throw and pillows. That’s why I’m finding it hard to kinda pull it all together. I’ll definitely look at all these suggestions. Super helpful and cannot that everyone enough!

• M Grove
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ll take another photo this week of all the walls.

• JP L
    3 years ago

Just one last opinion - her furniture and bedding looks lovely and slightly formal. I don't think grommet panels are the best compliment. I'd stick with a traditional rod pocket or use clips/rings on her drapes for a more traditional look. If you're planning to keep the bed against the window, I'd attempt to make the space behind the bed look more prominent by getting drapes and a rod that are sized similarly to the other window - as close to the ceiling as possible, and equally as wide (if possible). This creates balance and a nice feature with fabric behind the headboard. I also really like Maureen's light fixture suggestion (the flush mount shade) - simple and classic.

If mobility isn't an immediate concern, I'd also suggest a rug to anchor the space and provide comfort underfoot. Just personal preference - I like stepping onto a rug when getting out of bed on a cold morning.

• Deni Dickler
    3 years ago

The older we get, the more light we need to see well. You can help your grandma by making the room lighter and brighter--walls that reflect more light, better overhead light and white curtains. Go with a lighter bedspread. The furniture is already dark, so don't add to the darkness. Keep it bright so she avoids falls.

• Kathleen Harrington
    3 years ago

From pic, I believe that the bed should be on the wall where thr dresser is. As is, it looks like a very uninviting obstacle course.
    So sorry for you that others didn't pay attention to your post. Walsh are painted. Bedding is new. Don't redo what you've already chosen & obviously like. I have a bdrm w/your red/orange color in a patterned duvet. So I installed 2 tone brown/taupe wide striped drapes w/mini blinds under.

• Kathleen Harrington
    3 years ago

If you chose not to move the bed, then the window that is partially hidden from headboard doesn't nd to be dressed same as larger window.

• Kathleen Harrington
    3 years ago

It has been said that a house should have a base, a trim, and an accent. Same w/a room. Keep all but bedspread neutral & pop some teal accents w/the russet.
    It will feel very cheerful for her to enter & to wake up to in the morning.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

It is so encouraging that you want to make a nice room for your grandmother! She is young! If you can return the bedding, and get lighter tones, you can still use a pillow or throw to bring the rust color in without feeling dark. If possible, at some point, perhaps a smaller bed would be better in this space. I would put the headboard on the large window with rod pocket and rings drapery behind entire headboard. Ideally, you should face headboard when coming in the room. Then the large dressers (too large for this space) could go on short wall. If you post the measurements of the room and size of bed and dressers, I can do some scale layouts to look at and see what works better. Bless you for your efforts. It’s what “family” is all about!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Here are some inspirational rooms.

• PRO
    Nirmala enterprises
    3 years ago

I think you should paint the wall of the bedroom where head board of bed rest with the some soothing different colors. Golden lotus in Kelly more paints is good choice for other colors. That wall would be your accent wall of your bedroom. Please put proper 2 curtains between your window instead of one and you can get the artificial creepers from Michael and put it near the accent wall and window walls. If you want to provide more comfort to your mother then you can also get roller blinds.To give more light to the room you can use light color draperies.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

M Grove. Just checking in. Any further progress? Hope you are well.

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Is this the only way the Room can be arranged? Add a lamp to the long dresser or like a lamp that can come on and off that may be is also a night lightIs this the only way the Room can be arranged? Add a lamp to the long dresser or like a lamp that can come on and off that may be is also a night light

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I've been through all sort of vision and dementia concerns. Contrasts on or near the floor helps them see where to walk... something like neon yellow tape for safety...

what about something complementing on the ceiling? :)

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Do you think her style is more dressy- shiny, or natural materials, vintage... ?

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Anybody think there's good in this floor lamp, on right side of bed? oops am I matching table lamp... ;)

https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/lighting/rugs-usa-62-inch-stacked-crystal-metal-pole-floor-lamp/Silver/300MCF10AA.html

• everdebz
    3 years ago

This showed in my rug search - and makes me smile. If she's that "ancient" and truly I'm in my 60's so I'm only poking fun -- - but she might remember this type, and like it still !?

https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-shaggy-striped/Multi/200HMWH02.html

• everdebz
    3 years ago

This one softens / feminizes rust, imo, with its muted pink.... almost like a mop though:

https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-gradient-shag/Rust-Pink/200GVWH03.html

If she loves this palette for the room, I posted similar in 2 pillows above post.

• NancyD
    3 years ago

Since you already have bedding in rusty orange, how about using navy or true blue as an accent? Here are a couple of pillows that could step up the impact. If you’re limited for space and plan to keep that layout, I’d suggest hanging the curtains wider behind the bed, like the sample picture. Then the width of your curtains would match, even though the windows don’t. And, as a simple touch, add a band of blue on the white or cream curtains. If you can use a rug, consider an oriental that combines the colors. What is your grandmother saying about some of the suggestions that have been made?

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Has colors to blend with every surface in the room, imo. Blue with grey floor / deep warms with bedding and furniture / yellow and ivory with paint color:

Zara Jacobean Room Darkening Window Curtain Panels Neutral/Multi 52X95 Set · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I think we have lost the poster. 😢

• M Grove
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for checking in! I haven’t been to her house this week. Am planning on stopping by tonight to put up her curtain rods. She got these from bed bath and beyond. I’m going to show her all the ideas today. I really like how everyone is suggesting some blue to loop colors together and I think she’d love that. The thing about my grandma is that she doesn’t know what she’d like. This is the first time in her life that she has a room to herself. She grew up on a ranch and shared rooms with siblings and then moved out when she got married. My grandpa passed away 2 years ago and she is finally okay sleeping in the room by herself (she’s been sleeping on the sofa).

I’ve also included a photo of the room before new paint. I also tried to draw out the room layout. I will try and measure everything when I stop by today.

Also, apologies for the delay, I was recently asked to foster 2 kittens.

• JP L
    3 years ago

Those rods look lovely - I think they will compliment her decor nicely! I really hope your grandma enjoys her new room!

If you're planning to take the advice and extend the drapery and rod behind the bed to be more in proportion with the adjacent wall's window, be sure to potentially have a third bracket to hold the rod up and prevent sagging (even though the rod extends to certain lengths, they often only come with two brackets).

• M Grove
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! Yes, I plan to extend the rod and give the illusion of a larger window. I checked and the rod comes with 3 brackets ☺️ I also just ordered a pair of floral curtains that someone here suggested (the name of the curtain had Conchita in it and my grandma’s late sister was nicknamed Conchita and I felt like it was a sign to order those). My husband also picked up a pair of curtains from Costco this morning. I’ll see which one she ends up liking.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I will check in for measurements. Thanks. Glad you are hanging in here!!!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County