SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_farris

Formal dining room or large eat in kitchen?

Rachel Farris
3 years ago

Hi all! I have a house under contract that has a unique floor plan due to its age and various renovations/flips. The end result is there are two living spaces, on opposite sides of a wall that has a wood burning fireplace on each side (not the same fireplace, they are off set). I had originally envisioned using the two fireplace areas for a formal living and then a family room. The family room would be off the kitchen and open to the backyard. Off the formal living area, behind the wall leading into the kitchen, is a dining room.
In looking at the space, I started thinking about instead using the dining room as a formal living room area of sorts, the main living room as a family room, and the opposite side of the fireplace as a dining room that would be open to the kitchen. I wanted to get group’s opinion. Below is a floor plan and some photos of the home staged and empty.
A few things - the home we currently live in has a formal dining room, one living space, and a closed off kitchen with no real island, so I was excited for two living spaces. We have small children. The new home has a huge kitchen island but it would require counter seating to eat at and I’m not anticipating eating at the island a lot as we are conditioned to eating in our formal dining room currently.

Comments (7)