SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coops905

Most efficient way to cool a small room

H202
3 years ago

We have a 1951 mid century home in Florida. The previous owners expanded it, and ridiculously the 3100 sf home now has three ac units. One small unit cools the master suite. The rest of the house is a single open concept large room with bedrooms and kitchen adjoining. The second unit cools the big room, and the third unit cools the small kitchen, three small bedrooms and also shares in cooling the big room.

Six months a year we go without ac and open the many windows in our home (the original midcentury design was designed to exist without ac, with block walls, big overhangs, etc). In summer, we keep the home at 75 during the day (80 in the master suite, since its unused during the day). At night, we put the master down to 71, which is no problem because the suite is small.

Our son is in one of the bedrooms on the third ac unit, and he is an insanely hot sleeper. Like, when it’s 72 in his room, he will wake up drenched with sweat like he wet the bed. But add to the issue, his room is at the end of the ac run and runs the hottest in the house. So in order to keep son borderline comfortable in summer, we have to run BOTH of the second and third units in the 60s.... just to cool one room (he’s the only other person in the house). We have to run both units because they share cooling the one big open concept room.

I hate running the ac unnecessarily. Both for economics and environmental reasons. So I loathe the idea of running two ac units at 66 degrees all night for six months. If not for son, we’d let both of those units go to 78 overnight.

what are my alternatives that may be cheaper or environmentally better? Unfortunately the unusual midcentury windows in his room can’t fit a window unit (I’ve researched). If the rest of the house around him were at max 78, would a portable unit help? Or be a wasteful nightmare? do fans in the duct lines help bringing cool air to the room? Any other solutions?

Comments (11)