SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
navymomma77

reactive floor stain on red oak?

Navy Momma
2 years ago

Hi, I am starting a whole-house renovation plus rear addition. I am keeping my current red oak floors, continuing them into the new spaces, and refinishing all. My house is a 1940 cape cod style house.

My current floors were finished with duraseal provincial and a satin finish using oil-based poly in 2015. I've been extremely happy with the durability of the finish over the past 6 years since we had them done. We have a dog and it has held up very well. I'm also pretty happy with the color as a medium brown tone. I think I'd like to go with something slightly less reddish next time and the designer I'm working with mentioned using a reactive stain (specifically ciranova nickel).

My contract for the renovation specifies oil finish (builder usually does water based) because I have been so happy with it even though it takes longer to dry. However the builder is completely flexible to whatever I want to do. We are just now breaking ground so I have time to decide.

Since the reactive stain is water based will it hold up? Can I still put an oil poly finish over it to add the durability factor? How about the look? I can't find much info here on houzz, especially with red oak.

Thanks for your insight!

Comments (10)