SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottl10

Window advice: Full frame or pocket - Please help!

3 years ago

We are facing window replacement in our home built in 1990. Evidently these original windows were made by M&W. I have read enough to know that these wood windows have had a history of issues leaking etc. Many of ours are showing signs of leaks with mildew apparent. In addition, we will need to replace our 2 patio door sets - one of which is leaking and rotting towards the bottom. It has become apparent that the bottom of the glass portion is leaking. Needless to say at ~40 windows and two triple door patio door replacement, this is will be a significant spend.

After doing some research, and collecting a few bids (mostly for pocket installs), it sounds like a full frame replacement may be better? Is that a rule of thumb with the age and make of my windows? How do I know? One contractor stated that a pocket install for my windows (site unseen) would only last for 10 yrs.

I really prefer the look of wood, but the cost and performance seems prohibitive (particularly with the number of windows/doors). Suggestions on a mfg/model that has a wood like look that's reasonable? Previously looked at Anderson woodwright and pella lifestyle but since soured upon reading reviews and comments here. Vinyl alternatives? OKNA 800?

Comments (15)