SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hms99

Help with layout for remodel

Hannah
3 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hoping to get some help from this community...I would really appreciate your feedback on how to shift the layout of the house while staying in the same footprint (not opposed to an addition, just trying to save money). We are working with a designer, but I've found discussion on these threads to be helpful and insightful, so putting it out there for additional feedback (and critique, hopefully).

Background:

We would like to renovate our 1.5 story cape cod style house (a 1990s house we purchased in 2016). We are currently a family of 3 + Grandma living in basement MIL suite. We are planning (in the future) to have another little one and, with my family all out of state, would like a dedicated guest room. Currently, there are two bedrooms and a bath upstairs, the Primary bedroom and bath on the main level and the MIL suite in the basement. We live on 12 acres and have some beautiful views.

We're trying to accomplish the most within a reasonable budget (we definitely don't want to spend so much we could end up building a new house). We would like a "master plan" that we could enact in phases...our budget is $100,000 (we live in KY).

On our wish list:

• Add windows to back of the house (where laundry room is currently) -- my thought is to turn this part of house into the dining or kitchen. Looking out the back of the house is where the best views are and currently, the rooms that look out are the living room (great!), bathroom (blah), and laundry room (tiny window, blah).
  • Remove the wall between living and kitchen/dining (is this a good idea??). I think I would like the open floor plan, but realize this would be an added cost, so not sure about the trade-off.
  • Create a mudroom/laundry (hopefully with a laundry sink) and pantry. I would love a place to kick off shoes/boots, store dog stuff, and keep our pantry goods/cleaning supplies.
  • Add a guest bedroom and bath - I think this would need to be done in the walkout basement, but two walls have no access, so it makes it a little tricky when thinking of an egress.
  • Any ideas to enhance the indoor/outdoor feel. Would love to add a screened in porch/deck somewhere (although, for the cost, might not be a good idea?)

I would love to hear your thoughts...a few things I considered (not sure if they are good ideas):

• Change the stairs leading to the basement to a U-shape in order to take advantage the entry/mudroom downstairs space (maybe make into a bedroom?)
  • Move the laundry/mudroom/pantry to the front of the house (but not sure it's a good idea next to the front door?)

Note: the "rec room" in the basement is really my MIL's kitchen, living, dining space (plus a space for crafting, e.g. loom). The spaces in the basement that are common (as in not part of MIL's suite) are the mudroom, pantry, and mechanical room.

Comments (7)