SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gavindev

Whitewashing new hickory hardwood floors

Gavin Anon
3 years ago

I am almost done installing the new floor. 3 1/4 hickory over oil based primer sealed advantech. I would like to bleach the entirety of the floor first ( I think) followed by white washed finish. I have tested oxcilic acid as on some pieces of the wood then nuetralized it with mild borax/water solution, and rinsed well. maybe too well.

The bleached pieces of wood have turned a very light orange.

So I am under the impression, I should be using a hydrogen peroxide/caustic soda bleaching process instead. I have 12% peroxide and need to pick up the caustic soda, so anyadvice here would be great. I have read that 50/50 vinegar water should be used to nuetralize the peroxide/caustic soda bleach.

Assuming the peroxide/caustic soda bleacing method is the way to go here are my questions regarding bleaching and preparing.

1. Bleaching,

A. how long should the peroxide/soda solution be allowed to work for?

B. how many rounds of bleaching should I plan for?

C. should I expect to see a color change like the oxcilic acid test?, and if so, is there a way to prevent this from happeneing?

Finishing.

A.I have read about water popping the wood to even out the grain and allow for a more even acceptance of stain. Should this be done before, after, or in between sanding grit steps?

B. I believe I will use the Bona products made specifically for white washing floors, is there a better option?

any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (5)