SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annyonce

Is there anything we can do to improve the fragrance of a rose?

Years ago I remember reading a random comment on a thread discussing Rose fragrances… And how there is a specific type of nutrient that can be added to the soil to help roses fragrance be stronger. I can’t seem to find that thread, or the information.

I recently purchased Bliss Parfuma. One of the main reasons I purchased it was because of the amazing fragrance. I smelled every bloom on all three plants at the nursery… And they all consistently had the same amazing fragrance. The fragrance on Bliss Parfuma was even stronger than that of my Bolero Rose... which is a rose I use as a measuring stick to compare all other roses by in terms of fragrance

Even when it was fully opened for a few days the Fragrance stayed consistently strong and lovely. Here’s the strange part… The new bloom that fully opened this morning... has no fragrance. It’s as though it’s not even the same Rose.

What could be causing the rose to behave this way? The rose is still in its 5 gallon nursery pot.

Could it be that the sun and heat affects fragrance development? The new bloom opened under cooler overcast conditions… Where as the blooms that were previously on the plant were in warmer full all day sun conditions.

I’m in zone 10b... Hot and dry Coastal Southern California. I’ve heard from my friends who live in the humid climates that that a rose’s fragrance will actually waft through the air. Because it’s hot and dry here… The roses fragrance doesn’t carry through the air in the same way. So anytime I find a rose with a strong lovely fragrance, it’s extremely exciting.

What could’ve happened??? Do you have any idea what might be causing this type of behavior from the plant?

I’ll attach some pictures below. The and bloom in the picture is the one that was extremely fragrant. The more apricot-peachy-pink bloom is the one that just opened this morning and has no fragrance.

Have you ever added any sort of soil nutrient or amendment in order to improve a rose’s fragrance? I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with regards to Rose fragrances.

Comments (17)