SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samirosenjacken10

Design advice on choosing a backsplash with two different countertops

Lisa
3 years ago

Good Morning all,

I am interested in the thoughts on how to make this choice when you have two very different materials in the kitchen. We are building a home out of state and we have chosen a beautiful quartzite with a great deal of movement for the Island top. We have also chosen a solid quartz (to play off the brown/copper in the island top) for the perimeter. We are using one color cabinet for all walls, base and island.

I was design consultant in another life and have helped many people select backsplashes but when it's your own, it tends to be a bit more of a challenge. I totally understand the concept of waiting until everything is installed before you select a backsplash but with building so far away, I do not have that luxury. I also understand that less is more and that with a busy material you let the island top be the star of the show. That said, I am a bit stuck because of the solid perimeter.

When you look into the kitchen you really aren't seeing the island top but the backsplash wall. To me, a muted backsplash will look blah being sandwiched between the solid cabinet and solid perimeter. (Full disclosure I have a very tough doing doing anything plain. I can edit and I know how to edit but it is a challenge to edit. I usually require assistance :).

So I guess my question is in this instance where the countertop the backsplash is going up against is solid, do you still go with a muted backsplash because of the island top? Can you do something with a little more pizazz? Do you take the perimeter out of the question and try to base the backsplash off the island top? If that's the case it will be easier to choose a backsplash because it must be less when it sits against the quartzite. I am not asking for you to choose a backsplash.. I'm really more interested in the design process or how you go about making this selection. Thank you in advance for the positive advice :)

Comments (24)