SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onedevoteddame

A Custom Build Too Weird For Resale

One Devoted Dame
3 years ago

I want to build something so far outside "normal," that resale is completely shot. So, considering that....

What does everyone think of building "temporary" (like manufactured -- *not* modular -- homes), so that whenever my family passes away, the land can be easily/inexpensively cleared off and sold?

[The current idea is to build a main house with several little cottages around it -- like 4 or 5 -- and *maybe* even split the "main" house into 3 or more separate-but-connected buildings. This family village would serve my special-need family of 9, plus my parents, and perhaps my in-laws at some point. I'm in Texas, and yes, I will consult with the county on zoning, etc., but I understand things are very forgiving here. We are, and will be, outside city limits.]

I'm thinking that the houses would eventually be leveled, anyway, even if we had them stick-built. If we have manufactured homes instead, most of them could be sold off (even if just for pennies on the dollar), or even donated to families in need. They could be reused instead of just torn down and thrown away.

Property proceeds would go toward funding caregiving services for the kids after my husband and I leave this world. Assuming I have few/no grandchildren (which is a distinct possibility).

In the meantime, we would enjoy much lower property taxes, which will benefit us now, in old age, and our kids (more money will be set aside in a trust fund for future expenses). I want to minimize the kids' tax burden, since they will be unlikely to afford a huge bill -- even if all 7 of them band together -- therefore reducing the chances they will lose everything (our current tract house appraised at $310,000 this year, with a tax liability of $8200 for 2021; $680 per month is not insignificant).

I am aware of the social stigma of manufactured housing. My life is already filled with several social stigmas, lol, so it's not like it would make much of a difference. ;-) I am also aware of the value depreciation and common issues with manufactured homes.

If -- big if -- one or more of the kids can live a life similar to that of a neurotypical person, then they would have the opportunity to either keep the family village as-is, build stick homes themselves, or sell.

Explore this option with me, if you will. I am specifically looking for criticism, so that I can logically work through the holes in this plan, and y'all are *full* of experience, knowledge, and ideas!

Thank you! <3

Comments (36)

Sponsored