SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ivan_turbinca8178679

Looking for a Japanese maple that would be ok to plant near a fence

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am looking for the big tree that you see in the middle of the below picture

It is meant to be a focal point and to offer some privacy for the patio that is to the left of the house

On the left side of the property from top to bottom there is a magnolia tree followed by lilac trees

On the edging corners I have two Shaina Japanese maples (top side) and two dwarf Japanese barberry.

On the top side in line with the big tree I am looking for there are tall ornamental grasses for now (to hide a hideous fence that is overdue for replacement but my top side neighbor has been delaying for years

South of the lawn opposing the big thee is a dwarf lilac tree

To the right and to the left of that there is a rock garden between the edging and the walkway

To the right edge of the lawn there is a vegetable garden and three Potentilla bushes

Right now I am set for an Emperor Japanese Maple (because it is hardier than BloodGood and because it grows faster)

The problem is that it might need too much room around it and it won't develop properly if planted too close to the fence. Are my worries baseless or I should look for a species that can develop tall trunk for the first 4-5' to clear the fence and then develop the canopy above that line. The fence is 4' (regular) fence

I live in Toronto Canada

Is there a Japanese Maple species that would fit my needs?

If not what other tree would fit my needs ?

Comments (8)